Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Lote posted:

Ah yes. They are finally going to address the biggest issue of our times: Can the US Military come up with an idea so expensive that the Federal Government won't fund it?
That sounds like a perfect opportunity for the new Pentagon innovation board to fund a small two year, $350 million commission to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

If it even occurs to you that there might be more than one way to write fizzbuzz or, hell, if any solution at all occurs to you in a minute or less then fizzbuzz and that whole class of problems are not for you. They're screening questions designed to quickly rule out candidates for development jobs who literally cannot program. It's pretty much "did you completely lie about your qualifications y/n?"
I thought a big reason for these types of questions were also to identify programmers who automatically approach every single problem with a mindset of optimizing for speed, regardless of the readability or required programming time. The reason people don't want to do an "and" test for both mod 3 and mod 5 before doing individual tests for mod 3 and mod 5 is that they don't like that the code is "repeating" itself, and thus seems to not be the most efficient at first glance. This is sort of a stupid instinct to have, if the question isn't formulated in a way that requires it to be optimized (which, of course, the interviewee could simply ask as a clarifying question, instead of just assuming). So they make nearly unreadable code, and take more than 45 seconds to do it.

A good programmer can optimize for speed when needed, and for his own time when needed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/04/in-recent-test-blockchain-brings-transparency-to-notorious-credit-default-swaps/

Bitcoin and Credit Default Swaps, two great financial innovations brought together at last!!
lol

"We've invented a new way to help identify potential systemic problems in the economy!"

*fires 2,000,000 people*

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cheese posted:

Legitimately not sure if this was an onion style parody or a real serious report the entire time I was reading it.
It reminds me a lot of the "leaked" Pepsi marketing document from a few years ago.

They go to crazy town, but they do it in a way that confirms everyone's suspicions about the grandiose and self-indulgent way advertisers and their clients think about their products. So people read it and pass it around, to laugh at the grandiosity and self-indulgence. But people are reading and sharing it, so by pretty much any measure, that makes it a marketing success.

So is it an intentional viral campaign? Probably. But the possibility exists that they really are that grandiose and self-indulgent, and all of our suspicions about them are correct. It is Poe's law made real, paid for by corporate America, and available in pdf format.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This article conflates the specific technology of lab-grown meat with the more general category of developing meat substitutes. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that lab-grown meat is a much more difficult thing to achieve than is widely acknowledged, and maybe it is even impossible on a large scale, but that is not the same thing as something like the Impossible Burger which is trying to replicate the properties of meat using genetically modified plants.

And even if lab-grown meat is a longshot, the cost-benefit analysis of funding more research is still wildly in its favor due to the environmental impact of raising and slaughtering animals. As a taxpayer, I'm perfectly willing to toss a few billion into the pit for a tiny chance of eventual success. Even if it's guaranteed to fail, it's money better spent than what we're sending overseas for Israel's Iron Dome.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Our corporate yammer is a circle jerk of toxic positivity about whatever dumb new "innovation initiative" upper management has put in place after reading a tech buzzword in a Forbes article.

If you ever wondered what happened to those suspiciously cheerful overachieving rich kids with perfect attendance from high school, they are all spending their days on our yammer.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mods, please rename the thread "Tech Nightmares: Inexplicably this involves the blockchain".

And then rename all of SA "mediocre website with 20mb of javascript".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

PT6A posted:

What happens when every car in America is scheduled to charge from midnight to 6, rather than a handful? Does our grid still handle that without problems, over a heatwave or a cold snap where heating/AC is still running overnight?

I don't know if it is a problem, but I haven't seen any numbers saying it's definitely not going to be an issue and it seems like something we should probably consider given incidents like in Texas last winter.
Having tons of electric cars on the grid is thought to be stabilizing. While it's possible to set a car to charge at particular hours, if you are on a grid that allows spot pricing (this will presumably become more widespread with more electric cars being adopted), you could tell it to charge to have enough for 100 miles or whatever for your commute the next day plus some safety factor, and then after that to buy more juice if the price is below x and to sell if it is above y. If everyone is doing this, it would even out a lot the highs and lows of the daily electrical demand (as well as even out the daily spot pricing curve), effectively converting a lot of expensive load-following demand into cheap baseload demand (with the baseload demand being at a somewhat higher level than before, but with the load-following peaks being much lower). You'd also have thousands of small generators and sinks in the grid to handle the load fluctuations quite efficiently (I don't actually know the ramp-up time for the batteries, but I imagine it is quite fast, so I'm pretty sure they could easily be used for load-following demand).

You'd still be fairly boned in a sustained power outage over many days or weeks. Gas generators for emergency situations will probably need to be available on a wider basis than they are today.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1479165032013438977

Your car clock is wrong, and you'll never be able to reset it because the manufacturer has no interest in repairing a bug in a car that old.
This is most likely another victim of Y2K22. For those who don't know, there seem to be quite a number of programs out there that use a numeric variable with the format "yymmddHHMM" (or in the case of Microsoft Exchange, just "yymmdd####"), and some geniuses decided to use a 32 bit signed integer, which has a max of 2147483647 (note the first two characters, and what they are meant to represent, and why this might be a problem).

A 32 bit unsigned integer has a max of 4294967295, so in 21 years we will probably have Y2K43, too.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Peak capitalism is going to be redefined when robots can kill humans with impunity.
It's not even difficult to predict how it will happen. Their AI determines based on all given data that their primary purpose is to concentrate capital/wealth into as small of a human population as possible, favoring those who already have the most wealth. The most efficient method to accomplish this is to kill all humans except one. So Elon Musk will still die as the only person on the planet, but it will be Earth instead of Mars like he wants.

Alternatively, in the case that the robot programming considers a zero divide to give inf instead of nan, they will just kill all humans.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

At least with "the cloud", you can find actual data to do a cost/benefit analysis and make a reasoned decision. It's an actual thing that can be used. Even if the sales and C-level people are constantly using it in a buzzword nonsense way.

Unlike the underpants gnome logic that you usually get when they talk about things like NFTs and "the blockchain" and "machine learning".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Never thought I'd see the day Elon Musk deleted a tweet. Sad!

And I just remembered that, per the terms of a settlement with the SEC, Musk is supposed to get all his tweets approved by a Tesla lawyer before making them. That's very obviously not happening, and the SEC has so far failed to successfully enforce it in court (though it appears that the SEC still hasn't given up hope on that), but it's still funny to think about the CEO of Tesla running his Hitler meme tweets past a company lawyer.
A lawyer could easily approve a Hitler meme if the scope of his approval is limited to whether or not a tweet is manipulating markets or spreading insider information or whatever the specific SEC order is about.

Not that I think Musk is complying at all.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Multi-paned windows are like nature's bingo free space. The miniscule upfront cost pays for itself almost immediately. Even cheapass bodega owners know this. I'd be surprised if there were even single-pane freezer windows on the market.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Cool. And why can't Chevron or Exxon etc just buy a social media platform and purge the information on their crimes.
Why spend billions when a few tens of thousands in campaign donations gets you everything you want? Who cares if their crimes are public knowledge when nobody at the top will ever suffer any consequences?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/morebuttertv/status/1529151981792727040

The sheer stupidity of modern culture is breathtaking.
I have so many questions, yet I wouldn't care about the answers.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My legal first name in the country I moved to is my American first and middle name smooshed together, and with no legal middle name (even though legal documents have a place for it), because American passports don't have a separate entry for middle names - they just have a first and last name, and middle names just get shoved into the first name box. Whoever did my paperwork just made a guess from ambiguous information and guessed wrong, and now I have a new legal first name.

In the long run it's helpful, because I know any mail addressed to Firstname Middlename is garbage spam mail that someone pulled from some public registry somewhere.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

:confused: They just sold the company for billions more than it was worth. That is A+++ C-suite executiving.

I'm beginning to think this Elon Musk guy is not very bright or good at running a business.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Twitter engineers have had six+ months of warning that they were about to get a poo poo boss and probably fired. That's means, motive, and opportunity to plant some time-delayed bombs in the code and cover it up so that it will look accidental when it goes off.

And nobody there has the incentive to find, identify, report, or fix corporate sabotage except Musk himself.

If the general attitude is anything other than "gently caress this place, I hope it crashes and burns now", I would be very surprised.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

smoobles posted:

The craziest part to me is ALMOST NOBODY uses Twitter.

There are 200 million active users. 20 million of them are responsible for 90% of activity. This is all well researched and 100% known to be true.

Elon Musk became so online and broke brained that he *actually believed* Twitter was the loving "town square of the Internet" whatever the hell that even means.
I don't know. I've never been to the website twitter.com or installed the twitter app, and yet even on this page, there are a bunch of tweets that I've seen. It is pretty pervasive.

I'd be perfectly happy if somethingawful just disabled embedding tweets. I think they have generally made posting here worse. I don't care what some influencer or celebrity or internet rando tweets.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Can't wait for the Musk tweet that says he's sure his team will finally crack the "FizzBuzz" issue that everyone has been using so much time on.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Apparently Madison Square Garden was using face scanning tech to remove lawyers linked to firms/cases that are against MSG and removing them.

ah yes making things hard for law magic users this will surely go well.
I have no idea what this means, even after realizing you're not talking about lawyers who are against a flavor-enhancing food additive.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

silence_kit posted:

IDK, many engineers who really enjoy their work have this proclivity and management often has to rein them in and make them focus. This isn’t really unique to data scientists.
My experience has been the opposite. Managements hears about the latest fads and buzzwords, then the engineers need to pull them back to reality with incisive follow-up questions like "what do you actually think we'll be selling if we do this, and who would buy it?"

Underpants gnome business logic is all the rage, if you just replace the "collect underpants" step with "collect data and do machine learning".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I was able to play fine on PS4 during an internet outage that lasted more than a day. It just said that it was unable to connect to the Playstation Network and it was starting in offline mode. Which was fine, because I was playing offline mode anyway since I'm not about to pay for Playstation+.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is an ai chatbot a person now
It is if you make it a corporation. The AI chatbot can help you fill in the paperwork.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Vegetable posted:

In New York 73,000 households were registered as homeless in Spring 1920, compared to 70,000 now. You calculate the proportions.

edit: 1920 not 2020
It feels wrong and cruel to still refer to them as "households".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

shoeberto posted:

Managers have to make recommendations for cuts, it's not as wild as you might think. I was just having a conversation this week with a coworker who knew of big orgs where there is a mandated distribution of negative performance reviews in order to avoid having managers sing praises of all their direct reports, thereby always pushing for raises/promotions while also shielding them from being laid off. Apparently google is literally doing that, too.
My company does this for employee evaluations, too.

But when it comes to employee surveys, they make it clear that 10 means good, eight and nine are average, and anything seven or below is poor. They literally have green, yellow, red color-coding. And whenever there is a poor score for something, management implements "initiatives" that inevitably make things more difficult for employees. And would you look at that? Nothing but over-eight averages in all categories. It must be a very happy workforce.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I think the lesson to learn in all this is that if you're a computer toucher and you're the type that would want to do corporate sabotage to retaliate for being fired, the best method to do it is to bury some dead man's switches deep inside the system that you keep from going off only while you're still employed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Because it's partial ownership of the company. Surely you see the difference between that and ownership of an unregulated token that has no intrinsic value or even wide adoption/acceptance.
"Owning" a hundred millionth of a company has literally no intrinsic value. The only actual value it has it what you can sell it for, and the price is determined by a market that has proven itself repeatedly to be completely irrational and prices things based on hopes and fears and unicorn farts. The price of a stock can soar for no particular reason and later drop to zero. It is exactly the same as beanie babies.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

There is no arguing with a "position" like this, so best of luck in your future endeavors. Which I assume is digging a bunker or something.
I own plenty of stocks and index funds. I play the game, because there is no alternative. I am just aware that it is all built on bullshit, and there are no adults in charge.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

If you have over 250k, then you can go to a bank with a private banker, and you shop around. You normally get a free meal out of it and they'll explain to you why you'd want to do business with them, but most private bankers won't really look at you unless you have at least a million.
Nah, if you have over $250k, just go across the street from First Bank of Local Area where you have your first $250k, and walk into Second Bank of Local Area to deposit your next $250k.

Keep repeating until you have so many $250k accounts that you have trouble keeping track of them in your head. At that point, consider actually investing in something rather than keeping all of your assets in cash. I think you have enough savings that you can put a bit of it at some calculated risk.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

He figured that since Bitcoin is also a way to waste tremendous amounts of money on something completely useless, militaries could do the same thing by buying Bitcoin miners instead of bombs, and showing their supremacy by hashrate measurements instead of impressive explosions, thereby ushering in a sort of world peace where wars were bloodless affairs fought by competing for the highest mining rate instead of blowing poo poo up.
I saw that episode of Star Trek: TOS.

We learn by the end that it is better to make bombs and actually blow each other up than to try to sanitize war.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked Bard “is it difficult to shoot a bird with a hammer?” and it says

So there you have it. It’s difficult to do so, but also a hammer wouldn’t be able to kill a bird, and it’s hard to aim so you’ll miss and injure the bird.
More worryingly, Bard thinks you might damage the hammer. :ohdear:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

JUMWY TIM
PADXTYE?
Obviously a clue for finally deciphering "COVFEFE".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Democratization of drug and explosives manufacturing. The next Walter White won't need all that fancy education.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

milkshake recipe sucks.

your suppose to cut open the pods and scrape tje vanilla stuff into the THING, not sure how edible the dried out skin pods are.
Dried and ground vanilla beans are just vanilla powder, which is a fairly common ingredient, and can almost always be used as a vanilla extract substitute. I've never tried putting vanilla powder directly in a milkshake, but it would probably be okay. Generally, the ice cream provides enough flavor by itself, so it mostly just seems a bit unnecessary.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

We're about to spend the equivalent of around $60,000 on a solar roof, and one of the primary reasons we chose the company we did is because it was the only one who actually read our description that a) we prefer communication by email, and b) we are not going to agree to a home visit before we have a preliminary price estimate range. We had two companies come out before we made these demands, and they basically took a walk around the house and glanced at the roof, and then gave prices that were stupid high ($130,000+). I don't need to rearrange my day to wait at home for you to come by and then talk to you for a half hour to finally hear your outrageous price. Look at the roof on googlemaps, and send your best estimate by email.

I am getting five or six calls a day from the companies that aren't bothering to read our very basic requirements.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

60,000 for a solar roof? Are those normal prices wherever you are or is this a really huge setup for producing surplus power for the grid?

My parents paid 8k (€) I think for this setup, maybe it was 7k, last autumn. It produced 50kWh yesterday.

It's normal here :denmark: , from what we can tell. It's for a fully integrated solar roof (the kind where the roof is the panels, not solar panels on top of a normal roof), and we're completing replacing the existing roof because it's 80 years old.

It's about 100 m2 of roof with a 50o pitch, and the price includes new underlayment and dismantling and disposing the existing roof (super heavy clay tile).

€8000 also sounds very cheap, if you're talking about a whole roof, and not just a few panels plopped on top of an existing roof. Though 50kWh per day is a lot of panels, and the price still sounds very cheap. When I was still living in the States, I had to get new roof shingles after a hailstorm, and just that without any kind of carpentry needed was around $10000, if I remember right (insurance paid it, so I didn't care much).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Right I thought solar panels on top of a roof and not a whole new roof.
It seems we are in the midst of the imgur-pocalypse, because I can't see the image you embedded in your first reply on my laptop, but I can see it in awful app. Weird.

We need a new roof, anyway, and the cost of a new normal roof plus a solar installation on top is about the same as an integrated solar roof. The kinds with them on top also have a higher incidence of leaking, because the sealing around the mounting points tends not to be as durable as the roof itself, assuming they are even sealed properly in the first place. Plus, we think the integrated roof looks nicer, and there is a 20 year guarantee on it. I doubt we will stay in the same house that long, so I think the better aesthetics will pay off in the resale value of the house when we sell.

quote:

Those old tiles if they are anywhere remotely usable they can probably be sold since there are in my experience always people looking for old clay tiles for their old houses. Even if you would have to give them away it's less stuff to dispose of.
I don't know if there is such a market around here. It's also much more expensive to get the clay tiles dismantled for re-use, because then they need to actually carry each one down to make sure it doesn't break, rather than just tossing them from the roof into an open dumpster below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Barrel Cactaur posted:

And worse, soon the SEO blog-post in front of the recipes could become infinitely long.
If this is the reason for that, why are the recipes always at the bottom? Couldn't they put them at the top, and then have the useless blog afterwards for the SEO keywords?