Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The better question to be asking is who's gonna fill the self driving trucks with gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Not gonna lie, this is creepy as gently caress.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Claverjoe posted:

Not knowing much about the current techie Jesus beyond Paypal, SpaceX and Tesla, why was his success dependent on his parent(s)?

His dad gave him the money he needed to start his first company after dropping out of college.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Landsknecht posted:

the weird thing is that even though there is an amazing amount of dumb hype around tech, someone who with fairly basic "general IT support" skills can do some amazing things now with mobile, proximity sensors, and wearables

it's not terribly set up a building (think a home) with either RFID or mobile proximity sensors to have environmental changes based on a trigger (usually someone passing it with the token)

this poo poo wouldve been mindblowing 15 years ago

considering that there are so many cheap and decent electronic components available online, en masse from china, it's amazing that people aren't more into it

Coworker and I won a hackathon building an IoT coffeepot that shames you on twitter for taking last cup and not making a new pot. We were then invited to Vegas to demo during AT&T keynote and won 2nd. We split 17k in prizes after the whole ordeal. IoT is stupid easy to get into considering EVERYONE has an API to do something. Everyone kept asking us what we were going to do after going forward, but we just laughed and said it was gonna sit on a table at work and we'd chuckle from time to time about it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The thread going on a wild tangent about how to implement a cashier-less grocery store reminds me of something...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
fishmech, I'm sure they'd redesign the layout of the store to support this huge change in infrastructure. Of course it's not feasible to throw a bunch of sensors in the current layout of a Walmart or Target.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fishmech posted:

You complained I wasn't thinking about the user experience, buddy. I did, the Amazon one is clearly worse because it requires a massively more complicated process to even step foot in the goddamn store.

Maybe a bunch of smart people at Amazon are having design discussions constantly about it and iterating and maybe this pilot store of theirs is just a prototype and maybe they'll iterate on that idea based on feedback. You know, how most new things are created?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this for real? An app for the rhythm method? :psypop: (cross-posting from Pseudoscience thread)

It's about time someone disrupted Catholicism.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

someone give me an idea for an app that i can get overvalued by insane levels because that rat faced snap kid is gonna marry miranda kerr and i want in on this.

Ask a bunch of non technical friends for a their idea of an app. If it seems absolutely trivial, provides no value to society, solves no problems, and you think no one would ever use it, build it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TheScott2K posted:

You may recognize the CTO as John Carmack, who is best known for demoing Minecraft VR at E3.

Pretty sure that's not what he's best known for...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Oh you mean model rocketry? Yeah he's pretty big in that too.

Nah, he's best known for living inside a computer.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/363003997172424704

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/841708655934226432

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, gently caress the "internet of things." It's pretty clear at this point that all household IoT products are just gussied-up surveillance devices and are for the most part completely unnecessary.

On the other hand, what were these people expecting? Anyone interested in an app-driven remote controlled dildo should have had a reasonable suspicion that their privacy could be at risk.

Eh, I'd venture to guess most household IoT products are just household IoT products that persist data on a backend. If manufacturers actually use the data is another thing entirely, but it's reasonable to use the data to track aggregate statistics to make further improvements.

Having said that, I don't own any IoT things not because I don't trust the manufacturers with the data, but because I don't trust hackers that will eventually get it because the manufacturers don't understand security.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

it's gonna rule when 4chan shitheads turn your refrigerator off in the middle of the night for lulz

It's gonna rule when overnight, a ton of people have their refrigerators suddenly mining bitcoins, their power bills go through the roof, and they have no choice but to unplug their refrigerator letting their food spoil.

For the lulz of course.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Maluco Marinero posted:

This is the problem. Startups run under this assumption that it is moral to snaffle all the data they can in order to 'improve the user experience', but this is an entirely self serving morality that invents a whole industry of surveilling users, such as full on screen watching with Full Story, every single action you do.

Extending this self serving morality to hardware devices takes already intrusive surveillance and turns it up a notch by making it always on practically. It's no longer just visiting the website that is surveilled, but every activity relating to an object which only tells you what features it gives, not what it takes from you to deliver those features + serve the goals of the manufacturer.

I'd venture to guess that most companies don't give a poo poo about what you do personally, but are way more interested in what people do in aggregate. Your personal identifying information is useless to the goal of improving the product.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I imagine this probably helps people who own a 2nd home and plan to rent it out for extra money. There's already tons of real estate companies that will manage a rent property for you for a cut. Rentberry would definitely need a way to handle tenant issues like a leaky pipe or broken light switch since most of the management companies handle that for the owner as well. I'm sure it's more comfortable for owners to be able to go to management face to face if needed instead of some internet startup.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
People already bid on buying houses. Why is bidding on rent less OK? (Asking a serious question here.)

Is it because it leads to less affordable housing because prices can only go up? I can see a situation where my lease is up but my landlord says "oh btw, someone bid $400 more on your place so unless you can beat that, you have 30 days to move."

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MiddleOne posted:

Please tell me that was a joke and not an actual startup.

At this point, I can't tell fact from fiction with startups either. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

What the gently caress, class 4 is the highest it goes and includes stuff like Ebola and smallpox.

What is it with tech bros like this and the belief that their supposed mastery of IT and software engineering means every other rigorous discipline under the sun must be a cakewalk in comparison? Just because the Soylent dude got rich making a crappy imitation of Ensure in a rat infested factory by reading about nutrition on Wikipedia doesn't mean every app developer can do the same thing and cure all disease for fucks sake.

My mastery of IT and software engineering is a mystical power to VC and makes it really easy to convince them to give me money if I say 'disrupt' three times no matter what discipline I choose to stick my fingers into.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Whenever I am in a big city, my first worry is always death by dehydration. Thankfully some brilliant minds have come up with a solution.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

keurig is a drat goofy and wasteful device but it does solve real but minor problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROiid4RpLUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMAxuWg1GQ

Coworker and I did a hackathon where we made a coffeepot + camera + alexa device so you could find out who made the last cup of coffee. We also hooked it up to twitter so you could shame them on social media. We split 7k in amazon giftcards for a Dallas hackathon and then were invited all expenses paid to Vegas by ATT to compete where we split 10k cash for coming in second.

I can't tell you how many people thought we were actually trying to make a real business out of this instead of just loving around.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

There's an ambulance ride app that reminds me of that, because they're missing like 2 vowels in their name.

I refuse to believe there's an ambulance ride app. I also know someone is about to list off 7 that already exist. :gonk:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Weatherman posted:

Did that dude just start working at British Airways, by any chance?

Curious about the same thing...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Feinne posted:

If only the human body had some way to tell if it needed more water or not. Surely it's a wonder we survived so long as a species with absolutely no natural mechanism that could drive us to consume the fluids so vital to us.

But what if I drink too much?! I might drown!!!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

outlier posted:

Nice quote on twitter today:

Github allows you to show off how many stars your repos get but not your pull requests. It's all about having your bespoke artisanal string to boolean library being used by everyone.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Doesn't one group control more than 50% of the bitcoin mining power? Meaning they can gently caress with the sanctity of the blockchain if they don't like how things are going for them?

I doubt anyone who has bitcoin actually cares about blockchain technology.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My guess is that all those echo devices will now be listening for music you play in your house to then turn around and recommend those albums to you on amazon.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm picturing a scenario where someone finds an amazing medical breakthrough, patents it, and then does the bare minimum to prove "use" so that the patent doesn't become invalidated while still preventing the world from enjoying it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rime posted:

I have visited some real gnarly impoverished shitholes in the world, and the USA remains the only place where the homeless have actually made me fear for my life.

Your country is hosed up, yo.

That fear you feel is actually the feeling of pure, unfiltered freedom.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Once again proves that "think of the dumbest thing possible but actually create it" is still the best business strategy in 2017 (and probably 2018).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

2017 will be remembered as "The Year Every Day Was Fool's Day".

I wish the nazi resurgence thing was a joke...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Instead of saying database, just say blockchain and your company will instantly be 50% more valuable!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

He's going to get a book deal and get paid to make the rounds on conservative media outlets. This assumes he wasn't paid to make the lawsuit happen in the first place.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Why would anyone want a smart safe? It's the one device I don't want opened remotely.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

T-man posted:

I've been thing about starting up a channel doing video essays in my field (as a hobby, not a job or w/e) and that's basically killed all interest in doing so.

As long as you stream every day for 12 hours, after a year you'll be eligible!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Facebook is the new FWD: FWD: FWD: email service for your aged 50+ relatives.

For me, Facebook is for keeping up with family. Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram are for keeping up with friends.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Thanks for the early morning panic attack.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Baronash posted:

Out of curiosity, is this list still accurate as to the data Cambridge Analytica had access to?

Because if so, okay? All of this is available to the hundreds of people that you're friends with anyway. I'm sure that some of my status updates from 10 years ago would be pretty cringeworthy if someone were to plaster them on a billboard, but it's not like any of this is sensitive information.

Some of us don’t have hundreds of friends and don’t want non friends seeing everything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Baronash posted:

These companies are only "seeing" your information insomuch as Facebook does: a bunch of cells in a CSV file that is being analyzed by a script to make assumptions about you. Sure, someone could, if they were so inclined, open it up in Excel and read it. But if you have information that you want to keep secret from a sufficiently motivated bad actor, why do you have it on Facebook?

Because facebook led me to believe that people who weren't my friends couldn't see my info, likes, posts, etc? I went through all the security settings in the facebook and set it up as I wanted it to be. Are you saying that it's all just security theater and I actually have zero control over who sees what?

Like I should be able to post "work sucks" on my wall without my employer having any possible way of seeing it. I should be able to because facebook security settings lead me to believe that's what's actually happening.

I completely understand that I might be part of some aggregate dataset that says I'm white tech guy, but I'm talking PII data in hands of people that should be protected.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

But if you let your friends see it your friends become the potential weakest link. ie, your boss can see your "works sucks" post if your "friend" shows it to them. So you have to rely on all your friends to know how security works too.

I don't have any insight into how CA collected their data, but I'll go out on a limb and assume CA didn't call tons of people's friends asking them about their friends' data.

If my data is being used in aggregate, I don't care. I'm just a number that can have advertisements targeted to. I'm only against having my PII shared to companies without consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

JawnV6 posted:

What have you read? That's pretty much it, if any of your friends took a quiz for a dollar CA got your info.

I'll believe these "i haev nothing to hide on FB!!!" takes when folks start uploading their .zip files for us to pursue. Surely there's fewer than a hundred folks reading this thread, can't add to your threat.

Ah I totally forgot about the quiz poo poo so yeah that makes sense. Welp.

Baronash posted:

I mean, this is getting into the "sufficiently-motivated bad actor" territory. Unless you have a genuine concern that your employer would put a Facebook quiz together, hope one of your Facebook friends would take it, use that permission to gain access to your data, and then read the resulting data to find that "work sucks" post, (AKA Cambridge Analytica's method) then Facebook's security settings are likely doing their job. A far more likely scenario is that one of your Facebook friends is also a coworker and tells the boss that you said "work sucks."

It's a more likely scenario yes, but that's also why coworkers aren't facebook friends of mine. Also, I can kick a coworker in the dick/vagina for telling the boss at least.