Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Freezer posted:

All this Uber talk reminds me of this image a friend shared a week ago, 125 GBP uber to the airport. Driver inadvertently took the scenic route...

If this were a regular cab, it would be almost impossible to get some of your money back. With Uber you have the evidence and a handy report button. Not saying that Uber is the future, but it's pushing forward some good ideas for the industry along with all of its underhanded poo poo.

To be fair, London taxi drivers as a whole are surely the most (now quite unnecessarily) overqualified automobile navigators in the entire hitherto and henceforth history of H. sapiens by quite a wide margin, so this point only really applies to other cities. Eliminating The Knowledge for licensed London taxis as as requirement is the sort of good Uber might bring about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

blowfish posted:

Computers becoming locked-down appliances is scary to compsci people because reducing computer use to button pushing makes it harder to have a technologically literate population and works against ideals where everyone can and does take full control of and shapes their technological life. Basically, ask yourself why an archlinux fan wouldn't want a locked down computer that only runs one proprietary os and a dozen approved applications.

To an extent, democratisation of tech stuff would be good, but if you look at how cult-like actual existing open source projects can get and ask yourself if the average person would spend any effort on it, it may end up being pearls before swine.

The utopian ideal of free software is quite feasible, just not in a society with pesky stuff like "copyright law". If publishing software were treated the same way as say, publishing scientific findings (guess we're leaving drug studies out of this one!), then ideally everyone would be contributing to a shared corpus of software that everyone could build upon and improve over time. While in the big picture, information (in the computer sense) is pretty dang far from the base of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, it is the first technology we've developed where scarcity is almost purely artificial; and of course, as a society we choose to enforce that artifice.

Then again, pointing out that copyright is an artificial monopoly is cutting it a lot closer to, "La propriete, c'est le vol" than most anyone wants to.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Instead of having the robots warn people with a stern voice not to vandalize them (or blast them like some OmniCorp product), make them look like big puppies or something. Make them whimper if you hurt them. I bet that would actually work out really well.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Why haven't home-based daycare or children's sports leagues suffered that fate?

Their fate has been increased screening/regulation, which is a good and fine thing that isn't actually a death knell for something that isn't Disruptive.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

I too have years of experience filing a 1040ez so feel justified critiquing taxation on investments and non-liquid assets.

edit: Like do you not see how big of a problem "until it's cashed out it has no value" would have if applied to all stock options or gifts? We already see stock options and other perks used to bypass the income tax rate.

Uber probably won't be an example, but there certainly have been people burned by owing more taxes on their tech bubble options than their eventual worth. This isn't a problem with the tax code so much as stock options as remuneration, though.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I've got admit that I didn't anticipate that Airbnb was to follow Uber into legislative oblivion quite this quickly.

The difference is that AirBnB was just supposed to facilitate gray market rental on an individual scale where nobody cared, but instead it has created a whole new class of rentiers. Even from the most cynical perspective you can predict they're screwed because capitalists are gonna be a lot angrier about firms disrupting real property than they will be about firms disrupting labor.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it were some stealth anti-jewish poo poo there.
Oh you're closed on a Saturday eh? Well we God-Fearing folks like to take our breaks on the lord's sabbath, Sunday thank you very much.
Or, to be slightly more hopeful, maybe it was a "Please let your workers have at least one day off a week thanks" law.

It's more of a "let your owners have at least one day off a week" law, so it's sort of what you'd call a bourgeois law.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Wheany posted:

I don't really care that google/facebook/redtube knows my secret shame, I just don't want them to leak it into the real world. "User friendly" features have a potential to do it, like recommended videos on youtube. "No, I have no idea why it's suggesting 'cake farts #16' to me :o:"

I bet a lot of people would be uncomfortable if they realized that by default, YouTube creates a publicly-visible playlist of your liked videos, so if somebody say, clicks your name in the comments section of a video, they can see every video you've liked. I actually don't mind but it does seem kind of creepy that it's the silent default.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

cheese posted:

Holy poo poo, you sound like one of the guys in the 1890's saying "Well, we have mastered the train and the telegraph is perfect, we really have no where to go from here!". I don't even really know what to say - smartphones and mobile technology have revolutionized so many facets of our lives in that SPECIFIC 2006 to 2016 time period. Thank you for your vague hand waving and generalizations.

To expand on this, people really underrate the significance of smartphones in terms of everyone having a camera with them all the time. Widespread awareness of police misconduct has really been a direct result of technology, and it's perhaps the most dramatic example of technology driving social change in America since oral contraception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

There is at least one effective international regulation of the internet, but its the agreement to let WIPO take domain names away in trademark disputes so it's not exactly a great start.