Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

size1one posted:

There are many companies working in this space and theranos isn't the only one making big claims. Pathway genomics got called out by CBS last night for exagerating too. It's a large market, that won't go anywhere as along as people exist. The liquid biopsy cancer market alone is estimated to have a cap around 20 billion dollars. 100s of millions (maybe billions at this point?) are being thrown at companies to commercialize lab tests. It's not too surprising that some are trying to get a first mover advantage, even if that means exaggerating their efficacy.

But yeah it was very obvious to other people in the field that Theranos was full of poo poo. There are some physical constraints on these problems that require a full blood draw and you can't just magic them away. There are some paths forward but are likely many years, maybe decades, away from being clinically viable.

As an (ex)-insider: I don't know how much they were exaggerating, but the C-level folks were the cart driving the horse when it came to a lot of things, they wanted to be first to market and wanted to sell a lab-developed test as an advisory tool while working with physicians, which is all good and legal. As far as I could tell from where I sat this was a letter they got from FDA in November, it got addressed, and a few pre-clinical tests are underway.

It's a horrible company, and Grail is going to destroy them, but that CBS profile was kind of a hit piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

size1one posted:

Full disclosure, I work for a competitor.

They were exaggerating quite a bit. Current sequencing technology is too noisy to detect circulating tumor DNA reliably. There just isn't enough ctDNA in the blood at early stages. Either the cancer is further along (at least stage 2) or the test will require more blood & sequencer time. Both of the latter drive up the cost of the test. Based on the prices on their website, they probably are either taking a HUGE loss or don't have a reliable test.

Neither would surprise me. I'm so glad I'm out of that mess.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

size1one posted:

I wouldn't want to be working for someone making misleading claims that's for sure, but it's a great sector to be in. It's technology that will have big impacts on peoples lives even with it's current limitations. There will be some big winners regardless of a tech bust.

I'm still in the sector, just at a way better company.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Avalanche posted:

Would agree with you if it wasn't the fact that upgrading an OS in an enterprise environment or even just installing basic rear end updates can sometimes non-stop break some old as poo poo programs the enterprise relies on for day to day usage. Yea, it's more of a problem of companies running programs with code being held together by scotch tape than the OS though.

The issue becomes less severe in non-networked equipment like a lot of portable medical imaging equipment. What is the point in upgrading an endoscope system for example (something used to look down a person's throat) if the company software works flawlessly on XP, the image quality looks good on XP, and the only result in upgrading the system to win 10 is the possibility of incompatibility issues, and performance issues with the systems older hardware?

I don't know if something exists already, but it would be cool if a future version of windows incorporated VMs that ran off of virtual hardware configurations so all a companies dogshit legacy software could be spooled up in separate VMs running older OS versions independent of the higher level OS.

I spent about three months unfucking all of the problems caused by migrating a ton of scientific equipment PCs from XP to 7. Hopefully the 32-bit to 64-bit jump will be the worst hurdle, but holy poo poo I never want to upgrade an OS again, as far as the workplace is concerned 10 can eat a dick.

Slanderer posted:

Wasn't this basically Windows XP mode in Windows 7? I mean, you had to download it separately, but once installed it let you install XP programs in the XP VM and launch them from 7 (which handled all of the VM stuff in the background).

If it had to communicate with anything the VM failed miserably.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

NihilismNow posted:

It won't be. Unless you are very lucky your software will be using a a ton of deprecated API's from 1996.

Looks like I'm lucky, the issues are pretty much entirely SQL-based. :v:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Well this thread took a turn for the uh, something.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Goddamn I'm glad I went into a pharma group with actual delivered FDA-approved drugs behind it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Glassdoor is awesome for negotiating, since I've also noticed that good companies will offer you 5k over a competitive salary from the get-go, since they have access to that data as well.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Irradiation posted:

I dont want to defend this guy but this is the correct thing to do. Too many undergrads are just trying to get in a lab so they can toss it on their resume and PIs have wised up to this. Now (good) professors will start asking about what your scientific contributions were to the group you worked for if you're interviewing for a graduate spot.

Lab chores are everyone's responsibility not just some undergrads.

I'd be interested to see what this guy actually did and if it's reproducible because if a guy with his attitude came through my lab we would probably rip his head off for being an entitled rear end bitch. Someone unwilling to pay attention to basic details like buffers has certainly made huge mistakes they papered over by being the right looking guy in the right place. The fact that he got a consolation Master's lends a lot of credence to that as well.

This guy is an entitled rear end in a top hat trying to paper over his shortcomings with biotruth bullshit. Any decent scientist wouldn't dare risk their reputation on poo poo like Quilliam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

hahahah, good thing I didn’t buy a model 3

That flufferbot thing is the worst application of every principle of industrial automation I’ve ever seen, that and their absurd RIF rate are just terrible. Musk should gently caress off to space forever and I can go back to a normal rocket company putting my poo poo on the ISS

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 3, 2018