Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The best thing at CES was Netflix's promotion of their new series "Altered Carbon."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16874692/netflix-altered-carbon-stunt-ces-2018

"Netflix’s idea was to construct an elaborate faux-serious campaign, including a partnership with the drama’s fictional company Psychasec, and the collaborative booth they’re presenting at CES is a pretend exhibition area for Psychasec’s “sleeve” products. A sleeve, in the Altered Carbon universe, is a spare body you can transfer your consciousness into — because, as the tagline smugly proclaims, “no body lives forever.”

They also had hired faux protestors outside the CES halls protesting Psychasec.

Pics I took:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How long have you been working for Netflix sir

Funny thing about your comment is that the company I'm working on now, is currently building a product whose website/app will have a "Netflix Feel."

The other thing I'd say about CES (and no, I don't work for them either) is that Amazon Won.

There are tons of "Alexa Enabled" products.

Shows the value of an open API, and lots of developer resources (including free hardware).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

shrike82 posted:

There's no real point setting up a platform for small time content creators that have demonstrated they don't generate enough ad dollars to bother about.

Yeah. I drank the "Long Tail" Koolaide in 2006 and launched a content portal where independent artists could post and sell video clips, wallpapers and ringtones to mobile phones (shortcodes and all). Even creating stuff so they could sell on MySpace etc.

Almost all the sales was one artist selling Christian Rap and only because he was the one artist who self promoted.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

incoherent posted:

There is a very good reason why Bachman always uttered "those loving AWS fees" or swapped it with "azure bill is killing me" on silicon valley. Its loving e x p e n s i v e. AWS has CDN and video delivery tools already but you need to ensure you have a lot of money to burn to create content on to stop the bleeding.

Which is why you want to build a distributed system via IPFS or some sort.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Steve French posted:

Uhhhh hey everyone can't the distribution and payment problems be trivially solved here by just throwing blockchains at them???

Not unless you solve the problem that people hate ads and don't want to pay for content.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Warbadger posted:

People have been incredibly willing to pay for content. Subscription based streaming video services and digital distribution are massive. People even pay to poo poo post on this forum.

It just needs to actually have some perceived value. People generally aren't willing to pay for what they think is worthless garbage.

The problem I have is that while I am willing to subscribe to the NYT, I am unwilling to subscribe to the WaPo just to read one article.

Hence the reliance on really annoying ads on most sites.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

It’d be nice if the papers got together and created some sort of news iTunes, so you could pay a small fee per premium news article read (say 10c.) It gets added up and charged once a month. Even the biggest news junkie can’t afford to subscribe to 3 papers. The Guardian has huge influence due to no paywall.

This would solve a lot of problems, but there's still a good segment that believes "everything on the internet should be free" and I believe over 50% of people are now running Ad Blockers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Yes, because ads are generally annoying, harmful, and actively hinder access to content. Liking ads or not has nothing to do with an unwillingness to pay for content.

That is correct but the reason websites rely on the ads is the lack of a decent micropayment system and users willing to use it.

This has been an issue for decades.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Analytic Engine posted:

my man, have you heard the good news

In 1999 I was the CTO Of Save.com. So yes. And Beenz.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's even worse than that. You're taxed at vesting. If you got your options for free or almost nothing, that's a big hit, because your cost basis is nearly zero. If stocks vest, you hold them, and they then fall in value (not uncommon) you wind up having to pay taxes on money you never actually had.

I am not (so not) a tax lawyer, consult a professional on these things.

This was a loving disaster in 2000/2001.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

As a daily cyclist, I welcome our attentive robotic driving masters. The reported issues with bicycles namely effect curb huggers, which is a bad idea anyway.

Seriously most drivers are distracted and overrate their own abilities.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

The child of mutli-millionaires is never self-made.

Also true for upper middle class children like me who parents could afford the tuition at an Ivy or similar.

Musk went to the same school I did (UPENN).

I’m smart enough to realize the advantages I had.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Solution: never take VC money. It keeps the vampyres out.

This is one reason for the rush to ICO's.

Many of which are absolute bullshit, but the overall % of good ones isn't much different than the VC picks.

And you avoid the VC nonsense.

Note: I have run companies that were VC funded. Not a big fan of it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Weatherman posted:

The overall rate of "good ICOs" is 0% and the scam rate is 100%. Hope this helps

Like this one?

https://thesunexchange.com

Buy solar cells and lease them to schools and businesses in the sunniest places on Earth. Mainly Africa.

The Sun Exchange arranges your monthly lease rental collection and distribution. Get paid in local currency or Bitcoin.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if there is no C then this isnt a ICO

Ok, there are a bunch of solar blockchain things.

Here's another.

https://solardao.me

Reduce risks and costs while surpassing technical barriers of investing in PV solar plants across the globe. Own solar assets freely, safely, and anonymously.

$443,340
value of tokens sold in ICO

And:

https://solarbankers.com

By creating a freely accessible marketplace for renewable energy trading, Solar Bankers is challenging the dominance of the large energy companies. With Solar Bankers, consumers can produce their own electricity and sell any excess at competitive prices to their neighbors via local marketplaces.

But Solar Bankers is more than just a marketplace, we also supply cutting-edge photovoltaic devices that are able to produce clean energy at some of the lowest costs in the market.

Their ICO: https://icoholder.com/en/suncoin-2328

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Again, what value does blockchain add here?

In some cases a way of funding the initial operations. In addition, a low overhead way of billing (NOT BTC).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

T-man posted:

My idea is a ICO that's inversely valued on all other stupid bitcoin clones, call it FailureCoin. It can only go up uP UP!

https://ponzicoin.co/home.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Talked to a Blockchain company this AM in the finance space that is self-funded and is NOT doing a ICO. They are simply using it for tracking the supply chain and transactions.

That was a surprise.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

NightGyr posted:

But, why?

Why not just use a database?

Immutability mainly. Transactions, secondarily.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Merkle Trees, motherfucker, do you know of them?

(Not being hostile, I just love that sentence structure)

A merkle tree uses a hash of the previous information to generate the new information, which is all kept in a regular database. Changing any of the old data changes the hashes of everything after that so you know exactly where the change took place.

Sounds a little like a blockchain, eh?

The concept of hash trees is named after Ralph Merkle who patented it in 1979.

Yes, I know of this. I have even seen discussions centered around "how do we speed up this slow crap" that focused on applying this tech.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A blockchain is not going to go faster than a merkle tree. If it does it's not a blockchain.

Exactly. The idea was to use Merkle Tree and DB's as a better solution.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

Imgur is still used a ton on reddit.

Photobucket broke at least a million posts on various web forums when they decided to block image charing from free accounts. Stuff posted years ago suddenly has the dreaded Photobucket 'upgrade or else' notice.

How'd that work out for them>=?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

It's called just giving up on all the tertiary boxes you don't use anymore after buying a new TV. Works great. There's basically just two inputs on my TV as far as I'm concerned: over the air channels, and HDMI 1 with the xbonex on it to handle any streaming I need. And if a streaming/purchase service ain't on there I ain't using it.

Anyway blackberry just got deader.

Required Reply:

http://bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-letter-to-blackberry-bosses-senior-rim-exec-tells-all-as-company-crumbles-around-him/

To the RIM Senior Management Team:

I have lost confidence.

While I hide it at work, my passion has been sapped. I know I am not alone — the sentiment is widespread and it includes people within your own teams.

Mike and Jim, please take the time to really absorb and digest the content of this letter because it reflects the feeling across a huge percentage of your employee base. You have many smart employees, many that have great ideas for the future, but unfortunately the culture at RIM does not allow us to speak openly without having to worry about the career-limiting effects.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Was there ever a point where Google + stood a chance

Google+ launched without a mobile client or an API to allow mobile apps to use Google+ as a social graph.

Must have sucked not to have a mobile software development team available.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Cicero posted:

I wasn't at Google back when they launched but apparently around that time getting an offer from Facebook was a surefire way to get a very generous counteroffer from Google. I think Google just viewed Facebook as a massive threat and wanted to try to beat them at their own game.

I believe that too, and given where Facebook is with advertising revenue, that fear was justified.

At the time Google+ was launched I was an exec (CCO) of a mobile game publisher. There were several issues that mystified me.

1. Zynga had an exclusive with Facebook on some of their games, but Google had ZERO interest in working with publishers to publish alternatives on Google+. I had meetings at Casual Connect with "Ian" and others and it felt like they didn't care about games.

2. There was NO API (at launch and for some time afterward) to access the Social Graph for games and other apps.

... and the biggie.

3. No Google+ mobile app (for years). It's as if Android didn't even exist in the minds of the Google+ team. Not to mention that Google was also a leading publisher on iOS.

My guess is that the company was serious "stove-piped" at the time. Examples include the lack of coordination between the Chromebook and the Android teams.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

all three of these seem like pretty major oversights to me, a dumb user.

We can't grasp the genius of the executives who made these decisions. We're not worthy to question their superior wisdom.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

There is still no reason for Chrome OS to exist, since it turned out Android did get popular on smartphones and there was no need for the browser-only backup platform.

Google needs to just admit Chrome OS is a failed idea, update the Android Chrome version to have full extension/etc parity with the desktop version, and just ship the same devices running Android. They're already half-rear end doing that by making Chrome OS devices run Android apps anyway.

This is one area where I think Google got it right.

Chromebooks won in the educational markets. They are ubiquitous in classrooms.

In 2010 I was hawking a plan to launch an educational software company to launch apps on iPads with a evolution to management stuff for the classroom. Instead, I closed a poker license deal and ended up selling a social game company and taking a position as a CCO of the NewCo.

I thought Apple would own the K-12 market, but Chromebooks won. Easy to admin. Companies like Powerschool and Age Of Learning have done quite well here.

I bought a decent 15" Chromebook for a daughter in grad school and with Google Docs (which I love) it's totally adequate.

The problem is more, in my opinion, that Android didn't support the Chrome web apps properly. They should have been encapsulated and offered on Play.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration, there's tons of classrooms that use Windows or whatever. But Chrome OS itself contributes none of the appeal - if Google simply stopped gimping the Android version of Chrome, running Android instead of their other custom Linux distribution behind Chrome OS would work just as well. It really seems like the ongoing existence of Chrome OS is tied into some executive not wanting to give up a fiefdom, as I said before it should have been folded into the Android umbrella long ago - this was obvious even at the point when the Cr-48s were starting to be issued long ago before there were commercial Chromebooks.

It's far easier and cheaper to admin a bunch of Chromebooks than say. tablets running Android.

Chromebook priced laptops running Android would have the same admin workload as say, Macbooks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As someone who manages 1000+ of chromebooks in schools I can say you are absolutely wrong and chromeOS unique cloud based design is extremely appealing to schools and blows anything else out of the water for most tasks. Nothing else compares to the dumb terminal style of a chrome book where each kid simply has an account and all their programs and settings and desktop simply instantly appear on whatever computer they are using that second. Both from the perspective of the kid where they can use 4 different computers and have a consistent experience and from the perspective of the school where when some new standardized test comes out they can just one click add it to every computer without the complexity or overhead of doing some MDM package install on a mac or some group policy on windows.

Moving to android where all the data is stored locally and all the installs are actual installs would be a massive step backwards. The chromeOS where everything is purely account based and totally ephemeral is extremely useful in a school situation where the location, user and role of each computer is constantly shifting at the same time that the computer assigned to the student is always changing (a 2nd grade might not have 1:1 yet, a 8th grader might spill glitter water in their keyboard, a 6th grader graduates to be a 7th grader every year, a 1:1 shelf of computers might just be 'grab whichever" and not assigned to a student specifically, a computer in special ed might be used by each student that comes in and leaves, a class of computers might be replaced entirely with newer computers, etc etc etc). having literally everything on the cloud is a huge huge advantage over android and moving to android would be garbage. Currently at any of the schools only the oldest grades ever have local storage computers (macs) on some idea they needed 'real' computers and that as a decision is making less and less sense and right now holds on solely on "macs are better at video editing and we have a good video editing curriculum for the older kids"

Better said than I. Thank you.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

My school used to run a dedicated server (the long rackmount looking one, not a G2 aluminum tower or whatever) just to handle student accounts and whatever monitor minder Apple sold in 2008.

Most of that's been replaced with Chromebooks, because fuuuuuuuuuuck the gnashing of teeth when the Apple server was down or needed maintenance or could only give kids 100 megs of storage or the internet was spotty and no one could log on. Plus the cost of having to update the laptop collection every 4+ years was staggering.
It does get a little spotty when the kids need to do sound/video editing. For that, iMovie is just way easier for them to get a handle on.

The School District went all-in on iPads, and Apple was all too happy to sell them but not actually keen on using the experience to beta any kind of education account setup or software. So kids literally disabled the weaksauce limits on the machines within the day they were issued by, like, deleting a setting or something dumb.

I really can't stress the absolute stupidity of Apple here, because their inability to treat these as anything other than off-the-shelf personal tablets pretty much cost them an enormous captive market.

This is been a recurring theme with Apple for decades. In the 1990's I was at quite possibly the largest educational software (for schools) in history. We started with Apple settop boxes (British Telecom was the cable co. using them) and MPEG equipped Mac's (this was 1994 so software MPEG wasn't ready). In 1995 Apple says (mind you, we had spent $60m on curriculum by then):

"Apple is not in the business to build machines for Lightspan".

So we just switched to the Playstation. IPO in 2000.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

You said they are Gentoo. They are not Gentoo, although the initial versions of Chrome OS over 5 years ago were based on Gentoo.

And no, what I want is for them to give up this silly pretense of having seperate systems where they keep the Chrome app on Android gimped. They keep refusing to do this for some reason.

By the way, the very fact that they're having Chrome OS have a system to run Android apps now illustrates why there's no point to Chrome OS. Once again, all the wasted effort on designing UIs and all for Chrome OS could have simply be put into Android.

Don't ignore the lower cost admin with Chromebooks. And personally, I prefer Google Docs to Office 365.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

Everyone. It could easily be replaced by Android.

What part of “easy to administer for schools and businesses ” did you not understand?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no inherent reason it can't be, especially if many years hadn't been wasted building that for "Chrome OS" instead.

How is an downloaded app based platform as easy to administer as a web based system?

We even had a school IT Administrator explain this.

At this point you’re doing the Android version of “Argument Clinic.”

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

You can already lock down a phone or a computer or whatever. Next!

Try updating a curriculum system across 1000+ android tablets.

This is silly.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Grooming partners as children has been a thing forever, being upset about this seems really weird. Pretty much every picture in the whole article shows a family with a little kid. What a weird thing to be angry about.

I loved your movie Manhattan. Great cinematography.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Baronash posted:

From a risk management standpoint, a 2,000lb vehicle whose failure mode is stopping is better than a 75lb vehicle whose failure mode is falling out of the sky.

Yeah, it's a stunt, and there are probably some clear rules about what conditions it can be used in, but that's okay. It's still pretty impressive.

Why not a small, robotic wheeled vehicle? If no one is going to be inside it, what are the regs on weight/size? Sort of a self-driving trike.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Because teenagers would be kicking them over to get at their soft pizza innards.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Oh wait ...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Barudak posted:

The autonomous pizza delivery vehicle is flipped over, but youre not helping. Why arent you helping?

Nice reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- Coincidentally, long haul trucking is actually a job we should want to see automated. It sucks and no one really wants to do it.

It would suck less if the wages had kept up with inflation:

"truckers wages averaged $38,618 annually in 1980. If adjusted to 2015 dollars, that would be over $111,000 a year"

https://www.overdriveonline.com/trucker-pay-has-plummeted-in-the-last-30-years-analyst-stays/

Gee, what changed in 1980? Could it be UNIONS?