Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Facebook perma-banned me, no review, because I responded to a story that Alex Jones was going to cut off his finger to 'honor' his viewers with a classic Don Rickles joke suggesting he do that to a different body part. Bots saw this as a threat to the poster, which it was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The worst part of YouTube Shorts is that they're in portrait mode. Who the gently caress wants that?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I destroyed a $1300 iPhone last night by charging it from a $50 table lamp's USB Port. Heard a pop, smelled something, iPhone dead.

15 years I've had USB devices. This is a new one.

Someone should sell fused USB cables.

Anyway, yes ... I had AppleCare.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I have a slew of my mom's voice mail messages saved as separate files (she passed away in 2016).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

how i feel when the kids don't know l33t sp33k

I got my oldest son a 1337 phone number (last 4 digits) in the 1990’s. He still has it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

People like cassettes because it seems so romantic in it's primitivity

My first published games were on cassettes.

Yeah, I’m that old.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What video game platform/console used cassette tapes as their media format? I know there was one in Japan, but I can't think of any in America that didn't use disks or cartridges.

Computers:

Apple II, TRS-80, Commodore PET, Atari 800/400

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, I had the misfortune of buying a car between tape decks and aux inputs, so my only options were the FM transmitter or burning cds. Which, thankfully, I was able to do for a couple years until I no longer had a pc with an optical drive.

e: I cannot emphasize how much the FM thing sucks rear end. I wonder if those were more useful in less populated areas with fewer competing signals, but tbh I'm not even sure if that has anything to do with how those work.

I had a 2000 Toyota with CD and Radio for 20 years. The trick that worked the FM adaptors was to get being sold in Europe for some reason. It was more powerful and it worked.

FYI in 2004 my future wife bought a 2003 Mercedes C240 and one reason was (besides being a crazy good deal) was it had radio, CD changer, and cassette tape player.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I've been trying to find this The Day Today September 11th clip for ages, and that ancient newspaper just gave me the name to search. Nice random coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SPWgodul_E

Great Moments In Journalism indeed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Alcohol free Heineken tastes better than it has any right to.

Athletic Brewing Company's IPA (65 calories, under 0.5% alcohol) is really decent.

The winner of the "how did they do this" beer taste thing is Hop Tea Black Tea. It tastes like an IPA, consists of hops, tea, water, and citric acid, and has 0 calories and 0 alcohol.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Dave posted:

It's actually pretty easy to emulate the taste of an IPA with zero calories. You just have to take a dish rag that still has some soap on it and squeeze it into a cup of piss, any random piss will do.

That would be Rolling Rock beer.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I took a diet/exercise class (Pritikin) with some very well know actors (1994) and I remember one famous actress, 63 at the time, running on the treadmill like an olympian in training.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

It must have been a bit weird having that discussion with his son

Also if he's decided he wants to "retain his youth" after the age of like 25 then lol, it's already gone mate

I found the secret to looking/feeling better at 66 than I was at 25!

Be 100+ pounds overweight at 25.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Prism posted:

I literally cannot use it because it doesn’t work with glasses, so I’m not going to be impressed by it no matter what it does.

You need to buy special prescription lens inserts for more $$$ and my prescription is bad enough I expect those would be difficult to find. I already need to wait multiple weeks for glasses when I get new ones.

The Vision thing supports additional optics that can match your vision perscription.

My issue with current VR headsets is the opposite. I can see the crappy pixels on the Quest 2 (very good eyesight) and the rotation lag makes me sick (RecRoom being the worst offender, with its instant 90º turns).

I tried watching movies on the Quest and it was like a 1999 laptop in quality.

Will Apple succeed? Don’t know. But the last time someone laughed at Apple for introducing a product that was very expensive compared to the rest of the market, they lived to regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

(Funny story about that, I came up with the concept for the first iPhone game ever released based on it, weekend of the iPhone launch. Web game called iWhack which was Whack-A-Mole with Ballmer)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd say vaping will be a future "oh god how did they think this was ok" thing but that might already be happening?

Juul really shot themselves in the foot with their marketing

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

More sub info:

They had heavy pipes on the exterior for ballast. To release them they’d get everyone on one side of the sub so they would roll off.

And ..

The wife of the billionaire that’s in the sub is the descendant of two first class passengers that died on the titanic.

—————————-

I’ve heard that if there was an implosion the navy would probably have heard it, as they have listening devices in the ocean for the obvious reasons. Not that they would disclose this for reasons of security,

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Midjourney does such a good job of 'Victorian Era' art and characters that I suspect the Visual Novel and Hidden Object game devs will be using this quite a bit.

I needed a classic library image and what I got was petty excellent.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawk posted:

Even just including a disclaimer can cause people to give your game a hard pass. Cyan Inc (of Myst fame) saw this firsthand. When they released their next big adventure game Firmament, it included a credit for AI tools in the credits section, nearby the kickstarter backers. This led to backlash on Twitter and steam reviews, with people citing how the writing wasn't as good as previous games, pointing out how the voice acting was also terrible compared to previous games (and uncredited), how AI-generated art assets were not as good as what the team has made in the past, really showing how using AI as a shortcut during the development process hurt the end-product. Then Cyan released this statement

https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1666936969874788354?t=Arqlm7fZQdsBVL2Vvtan8g&s=19

If the statement is 100% to be believed, it turns out the game did utilize AI, but in a "we wrote/made all the stuff and passed it through an AI program to purposefully mix up our presentation" kind of way. Which does make sense to me, because replaying Myst at the same time I played Obduction made it very clear that Cyan is good at making interesting worlds/puzzles, but voice acting is... not their strong suit. And I can 100% believe they just did a crappy job on the things people pointed out, they just got way more flak for it when people knew AI tools were involved vs. complaining to the Myst people on Twitter that their dialogue sucks. I still haven't played it despite kickstarting it because I have to track down the email with the key, and the original tweets pointing out AI tools were used took the wind outta those sails during the original release.

Given the track record game development companies/publishers have had with overworking and underpaying any employee in the field, I trust any of them (large or small) about as far as I can throw them to ethically utilize AI tools during the creative process.

I wonder if Valve will block the sale of this (I doubt it).

BRAG: I pushed to get their first game published when I was at Activision.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I don’t want to open an NFT :can: but I do think NFTs are basically equivalent to game assets.

And yes, this is purely about scale IMO. Most gamer complaints about genAI echo complaints about old-school procedural generation: lack of effort, lack of artistry, lack of quality.

The only thing meaningfully different is the issue of dubious copyright, and most gamers aren’t responding to that issue — yet.

Yeah, my first Mac game (Jan. 1985) had layouts procedurally generated. Hallways, rooms, passages, item placement, enemies.

Every game you played had a different layout.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Oh god I hope they go through with it. The sheer patheticness of two weirdo billionaires playing pretend gladiator in the colosseum is just something so mind blowingly stupid it has to happen.

I mean I really just hope they add in some tigers.

They need this music to be playing loudly thru out the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJQvswrSPg

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

Self checkouts are pervasive in Australia, my local supermarkets have all recently expanded them.

I actually prefer it, experientially. Not so much the surveillance, though.

It's great except for produce.

The best one in the USA is Whole Foods, mainly for the "pay with your palm" stuff. Which is just cool.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TACD posted:

lol are you guys still using cheques in 2023

I dunno if banks here even do chequebooks anymore

I rented my place for 15 years from a landlady who had no way of accepting electronic payments, wrote a check every month.

Worth it, 60% of the local rental costs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Japan will always win the most behind in fintech award.

They don't use checks I thought.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/18/23967199/breaking-openai-board-in-discussions-with-sam-altman-to-return-as-ceo

Yeah, they want him back? Wow.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nervous posted:

Speaking as someone that lives in the high country desert along the Columbia River in Eastern Oregon, we've got plenty of unused land, river water, and a predominantly sunny and windy climate year round. Just throw up some more solar farms, wind turbines and data centers out here!

It's actually starting to turn into a bit of hub out here as development continues in this county of 80,000 people. Amazon's got 2-3 data centers in the area and more companies are beginning to site stuff.

Or we could create a national grid and burn less oil and coal ... but what do I know?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Star Man posted:

It amuses me when people like engineers can't do basic addition without a calculator

It's a advantage in 'deal' meetings to have the ability to do math in your head.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I think this is a good move and all car companies should follow suit

https://jalopnik.com/gm-drops-apple-carplay-android-auto-unsafe-phone-1851093013

GM Says It's Dropping Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Because They're Unsafe

I have an old car but rented a newer one not long ago and it amazed me how distracting the screen was. Could be I'm simply not used to it but the thing really was an eye magnet. We're told not to be on our phones and drive while distracted but there's a proportionately huge TV screen right there in the center console that uses another device to operate.

Maybe make it so the car has to be stopped or in park for the screen to operate but not sure how practical that is either.

Horrible move. There are apps I use on my EV, from CarPlay that don't have equals from GM, Tesla, or Ford.

Waze is just one example. Add to that Podcasts, Google Maps etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Me and my SO share the same cars. She's 5'3" and I am 6'2", mostly it's a PITA when I get into the car too fast after she's driven and I get stuck between the wheel and seat. Fortunately it's really only got move forwards, move backwards when you release a lever. Honestly never seen it as a problem that needed solving.

Bigger difference for my wife and I (5' 2", me almost 6' 3").

She got a 2003 MB C240 in 2004 that I had to adjust the seat just to get in. And that was an electric seat. And even then it was just uncomfortable for myself because the room between the door and console had my legs cramped.

Well, we sold it almost 2 years ago so now she's driving a 2009 Kia Spectra which is considerably roomer. And it has about 20k miles on it (her mom stopped driving at 95).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Where I live taxis were very bad, tradicionally. They were few and very expensive

It required a license that was given in very limited quantities, so the license itself was very valuable. If you wanted to work as a taxi driver, you need to either buy of of those licenses from someone for lots of money, or rent it from the license owner (many license owners lived from that). It was a very expensive service mostly for the rich that normal people could only afford once in a while, often used in emergencies. It was a bad system all around

Than uber came and it was so much cheaper and also so available. And for the drivers, it was also good cause they needed no taxi license, they just needed a car and could start working and the pay wanst so bad. It was hard to be against it

Cut to a decade later and now drivers are working 16h to pay the bills and very often refusing rides cause many dont pay enough to be wroth it, so now it got kinda bad for everyone

Taxis were bad, but uber soon become bad too. Still a bit better for the users, but now terrible for the workers

Uber launched in the city with the WORSE . TAXI . SERVICES . IN . THE . USA.

I had so many issues with San Francisco taxis.

That being said, Uber's financial model depended on ignoring regulations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

oh hey, renewable energy will love this! Bitcoin miners are probably the one really easy to dispatch users of electricity. People talk about moving power use to suit electricity generation as if it is as simple as just turning on your multi-hundred million dollar facility when the power is plentiful / off when it is not with no regard to how these factories work and how dominant the capital cost of these facilities are in the overall cost profile. My understanding is that the chips in use are essentially a consumable (as in they are clocked to burn out after so many hours of use anyway) and the capital cost is a relative small portion of the overall cost relative to electricity.

As of that 2% couldn't be used elsewhere or to reduce the amount of coal burned.

It's a spurious argument.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

This is fine

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5ynmm/ai-launches-nukes-in-worrying-war-simulation-i-just-want-to-have-peace-in-the-world

AI Launches Nukes In ‘Worrying’ War Simulation: ‘I Just Want to Have Peace in the World’

Hey, that could be a good plot for a movie!

Never Mind.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

How would a renewable only network burn more coal on bitcoin mining? I thought it was obvious that I was referring to un-dispatchable power generation with no-where to go. Besides, it was not an argument, I was being tongue in cheek about how bitcoin might finally have a part to play (by being the dispatchable excess power consumer that doesn't effect homes or industry).

I'm sorry you were literally selected by dart board to be sacked but it was nothing to do with me.

The renewables could be ON THE GRID and offsetting coal/gas plants.

It's bizarre that the crypto-bros don't want to see this.

Also why haven't we switched to something more efficient than Proof Of Work? At least ETH did that (right?).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nervous posted:

Spanish Inquisition

nobody will expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Tacier posted:

If you live in California and are served by PG&E or SDGE they might be right.

In San Diego. Paying $0.30/kwh. 65kwh battery in my EV. Full charge from zero (never happens) would be $19.50

Car gets about 4 miles/kwh