Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

blunt posted:

An article I read quite a while ago that I can no longer find - I realise that's not helpful so instead this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-has-more-engineers-than-facebook-2015-4

suggests that Goldman Sachs employs more engineers than Facebook, so that would put the number of engineers firmly under 9,000 - still a reasonably small proportion of 45,000.

You gotta remember all of the periphery jobs that come with software development that don't involve actual engineers - project managers, designers, QA and testing etc. They're not roles that I would consider "tech bros".

My point is there's a lot of different roles and demographics represented at Facebook (or any large company really) and so responding to Facebook staff walkouts with "tech bros would never unionize" misses the point when the majority of Facebook employees aren't tech bros.

My experience is that Project Managers, UX ideation designers, and various Agile Delivery Jira shufflers and similar software hangers on are the most the most tech bro of tech bros as they both get to be full time "idea guys in the digital space", without the rigour of having to actually do anything involving code or complex problem solving themselves. They also get to spend all day jockeying for promotion, and creating laughable sub-Ted 'innovation' talks and generating terrible unworkable projects because they have so much more free time compared the engineers who are too busy making their last dumb project work.

That's just my annecdotal experience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Squalid posted:

I think I might have been unclear. Tesla doesn't spend a lot on research compared to its competitors. So why are its vehicles so much better in terms of cost and performance than its competitors? Why is Tesla the company that is at the forefront of battery manufacturing and powertrain performance? Your guess as to that is as good as mine, but whatever they are doing is working. Presumably every dollar they spend on research is just put to much better use than that of their competitors.

They just started with a blank sheet of paper. This is the thing with almost all of these startups (regardless of industry), if I give you X billion to get into an industry you can start on day 1 with a fresh clean architecture, no legacy manufacturing sites/processes/sunk-costs and you get to do whatever is the modern techniques from the ground up today. That's all these companies have in terms of competitive advantage half the time. So with Tesla you see all the advantages and disadvantages you would expect from a company starting with a clean sheet... shiny software and lots of manufacturing mistakes from a lack of experience, new large manufacturing sites built where you would want to build manufacturing sites today, poor QA process because they don't have a long history of known issues to check, problems in non Californian weather environments because they don't have test sites in sub-zero conditions but reduced overheads due to their lack of these same sites etc.

There is a thing where a new entrant (with enough money behind them) gets to do the thing that make sense today, today. It gives the impression that they are geniuses, but the reality is that they are just unconstrained by legacy. Give them 50 years and they will find they have exactly as many old managers who are just biding time waiting for their pensions: The same factories not quite fitted to the needs of the production line. The same lengthy, costly, and tedious QA process. The same expensive massive multinational infrastructure needed to roll out a vehicle world wide in all conditions. The same lovely out of date internal coms and HR system. The software systems will now be built on a layer built on a layer built on a layer that goes back decades and are sub-optimal.

That's not to entirely excuse the rest of the industry for being slow into the EV space, but big organisations always are as a function of their size, and that has little to do with the name badge.

I have seen so far only because I stood on the shoulders of giants, style.