Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Surely given the whole setup is cameras everywhere eventually they'll skip the need for a phone/device and go straight to facial recognition (paired to your Amazon account).

(In before 'a significant proportion of people don't have a face' etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Y'all are talking about self driving taxis as if they're still years away whilst alphabet have been running a self driving taxi service with no safety driver in Arizona since October...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16615290/waymo-self-driving-safety-driver-chandler-autonomous

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

boner confessor posted:

self driving cars have been operating without a safety driver since the early nineties. "it's just a few years away!" is something people have been saying for decades. when waymo is actually on the verge of putting a product to market, then it's safe to believe the technology is mature. as of yet the link you posted is just another marketing release

If you live in Chandler Arizona you can book one right now.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I am very ignorant about self driving cars. What does the driver actually do when the car is self driving? I assume it isn't a lisence to sit on your phone and text/read the news the entire drive.

Tesla's make you respond to a prompt every X seconds by holding the wheel. If you repeatedly don't then it pulls over and disables self driving mode totally for a period of time. Not sure what other consumer systems use.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

It really seems like the ongoing existence of Chrome OS is tied into some executive not wanting to give up a fiefdom, as I said before it should have been folded into the Android umbrella long ago.

The Chrome OS and Android teams are run by the same exec, So that seems pretty unlikely. As the other poster said, they do huge education business - more than any other platform - with with chrome OS platform too:

quote:

In 2016, mobile devices running Alphabet Inc's Google’s Chrome operating system accounted for 58 percent of the U.S. market for primary and secondary schools, according to Futuresource Consulting.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-education-competition-idUKKBN17Z01R

With regards to folding it into the Android platform, the opposite is happening - android tablets (which if we're honest have always been largely poo poo from anyone other than Google or Samsung) are all getting replaced with Chromebooks and Chrome tablets that run android apps just fine but have a decent web browser and battery life.

Then you've got all the people using Chromeboxes for POS systems and kiosks, plus the Hardware version of Google Hangouts that Google sells into businesses is ChromeOS based.

It's fair enough to personally not like a platform but pretty much everything you asserted is incorrect.

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 2, 2018

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Bye Richard, thanks for the GPL but you've overstayed your welcome by a couple of decades:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1173752412169023488

Is he holding a rabbit?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Uber should detect the type of phone you have and charge you more.

That sentence is gonna be my entire resume when i apply uber

Tinder Gold is more expensive on iOS than on Android. It's also more expensive for males than females and the price increases the older you get*.

* Except in California where they were sued and told to knock all the pricing poo poo off.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Honestly I'm pretty hyped to try Red Dead 2 on Stadia instead of upgrading my garbage PC.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Ugh, no, that's entirely irrelevant to why it won't happen.

It won't happen because it simply costs too much for the "game service provider" or however you want to call a company doing the game streaming shtick.

This was true when you had little upstarts like OnLive and LiquidSky, I'd imagine the cost-benefit analysis is different when it's Google and Microsoft, who already own their own data centers, hardware and fiber, running the services.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

I'm noticing how you are pretending the massive latency issues aren't relevant. Why is that?

They can own all the fiber they want, it won't actually solve the fact that these things can't reach console penetration considering how there's way fewer people with viable connections to have the least issue from the latency.

That's a lot to infer from one post! I didn't say anything about latency, I was specifically addressing cost, which is the part I quoted.

Tragically however I didn't notice I was quoting fishmech. That's my mistake.

Edit: You know what, just to cover the latency aspect, considering I was talking about playing Red Dead 2:

There Bias Two posted:

I did the beta test for Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Stadia and it worked pretty flawlessly. It was really nice playing a game at full settings on my PC without taxing my hardware in the slightest. The tech really does seem to work well, despite the lovely business model.

I'm happy enough that the real world reports suggest latency isn't an issue for single player games.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 10, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

personally, i believe i am winning this argument, because, in my mind, i am attributing emotional states such as anger and distress, which are inferior, to all of my opponents

:wtc:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

Not hearing a lot about VR these days. Did it manage to carve out a niche this time or was it just a wet fart?

The tech is good now, but the price and space/hardware(if you go tethered) requirements are still preventing it from going mainstream. There's also really only a few killer mainstream titles.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Softbank made $14 billion in profit last year and have $286 billion in assets. They're gonna be fine.

Also, they're not a bank.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1198904732267319296?s=19

Uber's lost its license to operate in London again.

And just like all the other times they're allowed to continue operating while they appeal.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I totally accept that there are some couples out there that have a dynamic where the product might be of genuine benefit to them, but there is zero reason for Sex Buttons™ to be a hardware product instead of just a smartphone app.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The final post-layoff game was the trainwreck you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXi4YnZiyPI&t=674s

Kaal posted:

These games always mystified me. Either the advertising-based pots are so low or so random that most players never see a dime, or they need to be subscription-based and are effectively a new way of gambling. Otherwise you're just giving away money.

I think it was essentially a tech demo and they hoped a TV network / production company would licence the tech, but never did. Being able to play a live video quiz game with millions of concurrant players and minimal time-drift is actually really good tech. Then again the first half of that video (pre timestamp) is out of sync, sooo....

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 17, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Not to mention they're the only company doing self driving tests that has killed a person.

Their self driving cars (especially now that they've had to ditch the stolen tech) are way behind their competitors.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Doggles posted:

Other than its occupant is an important distinction. While a self-driving Uber killed a pedestrian, don't forget that Teslas have killed two of their drivers in separate occasions because their "autopilot" system can't see white semi-trucks when it's cloudy. :pseudo:

I didn't include Tesla because it's not a taxi-on-demand company. If the owner of the vehicle decides to engage autopilot (which is a choice the rider in a self driving taxi cannot make), that's on them. Instead I meant companies along the lines of Waymo, Cruise, UK Autodrive etc.

But I agree that occupant is an important distinction. Uber is the only self-driving taxi company to kill someone outside the vehicle. Because their technology and corporate policies are (even more) dogshit.

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuxbQG4piW4

So is this a flying car? Helicopter? Drone? Boat?

Here's a Youtuber flying it which I refuse to embed

It doesn't have wheels and at the moment you're only allowed to fly it over water.

The answer is 'toy'

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Any thoughts on the merits of the lawsuit?

Wired has a decent hypothetical overview, but the actual case hasn't been brought forwards yet so :iiam:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Kind of hosed up that news sites (and newspapers) get away with re-reporting other people's stories. Here's the original, the Verge don't deserve clicks for this.

If you clicked through to the actual article (as opposed to the summary the poster provided) they very clearly attributed it to the original source with a link through:

The Verge posted:

Yesterday, Ranjan Roy, a content strategist and writer, wrote about the latter in his newsletter The Margins; one of his friends who owns a few pizza restaurants....

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

That came up in several places and it is totally fine. A ton of companies (not just tech) apply cost-of-living adjustments to salary based on employee's location. In this particular case that is a very good thing, because the last thing America needs is a bunch of techbros who make $300k move to cheaper towns, gentrify the gently caress out of them and make the cost of everything skyrocket.

Alternatively what America needs is people on high salaries to move to cheaper towns and pump money into the local economy via conspicuous consumption.

See: all the cities offering people money to move there and work remotely.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

Right, these are the same thing.

But the real problem with gentrification there is just zoning + lack of public housing. If that was fixed it'd be much, much less of an issue.

I was disagreeing with the poster I quoted. He's saying it would be bad, I'm saying actually it would be good.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Nobody lives in those hellholes for a reason.

Yeah, because they can't currently make Facebook money there.

Until now.

It's not just hell holes though. If you could retain 80% of your bay area salary but move a couple of hours down the coast that's a pretty great deal for both you and the town that you move to.

For context the average Facebook engineer salary is circa $150k + stock.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 23, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Does FB even have a labor union? Would the techbros even join it? All I can find online is stories about the cafeteria workers unionizing efforts.

Engineers are a small proportion of Facebook - of their ~45,000 employees only about 1,500 are in engineering. Much more of their workforce is made up of Sales/Marketing (biggest department - tons and tons of account managers that help people run ads), Support staff, Content moderation (both in house and thousands more contracted out), Legal & Policy etc.

E; unrelated but as we're talking about Facebook employment everybody should The secret lives of Facebook moderators and the follow up Bodies in seats. Totally harrowing.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 2, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

An article I read quite a while ago that I can no longer find - I realise that's not helpful so instead this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-has-more-engineers-than-facebook-2015-4

suggests that Goldman Sachs employs more engineers than Facebook, so that would put the number of engineers firmly under 9,000 - still a reasonably small proportion of 45,000.

You gotta remember all of the periphery jobs that come with software development that don't involve actual engineers - project managers, designers, QA and testing etc. They're not roles that I would consider "tech bros".

My point is there's a lot of different roles and demographics represented at Facebook (or any large company really) and so responding to Facebook staff walkouts with "tech bros would never unionize" misses the point when the majority of Facebook employees aren't tech bros.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

I work at Google so I'm well aware of that stuff, that still sounds low to me.

Though, you might want to clear up whether you mean "engineers" or "in engineering", as you used both terms before, and those aren't the same thing. UX designers and engineering managers and PM's are not engineers, but they're usually in the engineering org.

Congrats on your job at Google! The exposition was for the benefit of everybody else reading the thread.

As a software engineer (but not at the big five) our organisation doesn't consider project managers, product managers etc to be in engineering (I'd consider them ops and product respectively but hey, every org is different, and don't interpret that as an insult to them, they are as important if not more so than the engineers) so for the purpose of clarification I was explicitly talking about the number of software engineers employed by Facebook.

Again though, the number isn't really the important part of the point that I was making...

Desiderata posted:

My experience is that Project Managers, UX ideation designers, and various Agile Delivery Jira shufflers and similar software hangers on are the most the most tech bro of tech bros as they both get to be full time "idea guys in the digital space", without the rigour of having to actually do anything involving code or complex problem solving themselves. They also get to spend all day jockeying for promotion, and creating laughable sub-Ted 'innovation' talks and generating terrible unworkable projects because they have so much more free time compared the engineers who are too busy making their last dumb project work.

That's just my annecdotal experience though.

Definitely agree with the bolded part, though i'd describe them (annecdotally) less as tech bros and more as "young idealists who eventually morph into quiet centerist dads" (the stereotype, this isn't a comment on gender). Maybe that's just because I'm in :britain:

blunt fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 2, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tarezax posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...gative-balance/

tl;dr 20-year-old college kid kills himself after Robinhood shows (erroneously) that he's $730,000 in debt

It wasn't erroneous, it was that the nature of his trades could cause a negative balance that far exceeded what would ever be collected for the period of time between the first option closing and the second option closing.

For a platform that targets inexperienced traders though the lack of context is an absolutely horrific UI failure.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Really it's pretty lucky that whoever did this only tried to pull off a pretty obvious Bitcoin scam. Something more sophisticated and organised could have had really big repercussions.

Bitcoin scam is probably the distraction, not the objective.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving lol so do I pay and get a bigger character limit? Or maybe a red check mark instead of a blue one?

Oo can I change my Twitter gender for $25?

The suggestion is that verified users with x thousand or more followers will have to pay $y/month for z features.

What the features are though, who knows. It's not going to be targeted at regular users though, it's about influencers/celebrities/companies/people who generate significant revenue from the platform.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Ugh great, like we needed a bunch of Riche Techbros loving housing prices even more.

Don't worry, the ones who leave the valley will be getting pay cuts.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 28, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

For Google at least, my bet is that they'll end up following the policy they already for in-US relocations before the pandemic, where there are salary adjustments based on the local market, but they're not huge adjustments. Going from the bay area to a much cheaper location, you're probably only looking at a 10-15% pay cut.

Why should two people doing the same job be paid different amounts for their labour? Surely their output had equal value to the company?

Where they live should be irrelevant, if their labour was worth $x to the company when they did it in Palo Alto it's worth $x when they do it in Tennessee.

There's maybe an argument for "remote workers are less productive", though that's gonna be dependent on specific roles and I haven't seen any studies that definitively draw that conclusion, but if that's the case then it should be a fixed % reduction for everybody that goes remote regardless of where they're physically located.

Of course this supposes that any of these companies (or America) actually operate under capitalism as opposed to the weird neo-oligarchy they've become.

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 28, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Saying remote workers are less productive is more of a reflection on the managers' distrust of their own employees if they aren't allowed to stand over someone's literal shoulder imo

I haven't seen any meaningful data either way (but certainly a lot of terribly written unsourced 'thinkpieces').

I'm not entirely sure. I a formerly office based Dev that's been working remotely for the last 4 months (and don't expect to be back in the office at all for at least the next 6, probably 12? Maybe never?) and I'd say 95% of my job/productivity is exactly the same, but there's certainly occasions where not being physically with someone either slows down something or creates confusion that has to be rectified later, and that's almost certainly balanced out by gains I make not being constantly interrupted or distracted by others. I'd certainly be pissed if my compensation got lowered because I'm remote now.

I could totally believe though that there are other roles in this and other industries where being remote does have a meaningful impact on productivity. I'd much prefer that a company make efforts to work with their employees to find ways to rectify that though or reorganise their work/roles instead of just dropping people's compensation though.

Totally agree that much of this sort of hand wringing is driven by managers though who themselves don't do anything and so assume that as soon as the opportunity arises their underlings will follow suit.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

You know generally speaking American wages/salaries are like a 1/3 of what they should be right?

Workers discover one crazy graph that shows what their output is worth. CEOs hate it!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

gonger posted:

In the world of big tech hiring, compensation is mostly driven by supply and demand within the labor market for a given role. In other words, the value of your output is only good for establishing the upper bound of your role's pay band - they aren't going to set compensation higher than the value of output because that'd mean losing money. Individual compensation is mostly driven by "how hard is it to hire somebody capable of filling this role and how much money do we have to offer to be attractive vs. other potential employers?"

It's pretty hosed, but it's how they think about it. This is from personal experience, 8 years at a FAANG and 3 years at a unicorn gone public, with 2 years of experience as an engineering manager in charge of hiring for my team. All the numbers and policies are set by financial departments, hiring managers only have a small amount of wiggle room.

I totally understand/agree with you about hiring and pay bands etc, my point though was now that you've hired the person and already decided that you're willing to give them $x compensation to do the job, done the budgets and employed them for months/years, that number shouldn't change just because they decide to do the job near their family in Iowa now that a global pandemic prevents them from going into the office. Which is whats happening to people at Facebook and Google (and probably the others, i haven't looked).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Any overpayment of FAANG tech workers (which i'm not convinced is actually a thing) is nothing compared to the underpayment of almost everybody else:

but this goes back to

blunt posted:

Of course this supposes that any of these companies (or America) actually operate under capitalism as opposed to the weird neo-oligarchy they've become.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'd probably get rid of Covid-19 tbh. Easier to legislate against a company than a pandemic.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's ok, This time Microsoft is definitely gonna make social work.

quote:

Microsoft Corp. is exploring an acquisition of TikTok’s operations in the U.S., according to a people familiar with the matter. A deal would give the software company a popular social-media service and relieve U.S. government pressure on the Chinese owner of the video-sharing app.

The Trump administration has been weighing whether to direct China-based ByteDance Ltd. to divest its stake in TikTok’s U.S. operations, according to several people familiar with the issue. The U.S. has been investigating potential national security risks due to the Chinese company’s control of the app.

While the administration was prepared to announce an order as soon as Friday, according to three people familiar with the matter, another person said later that the decision was on hold, pending further review by President Donald Trump. All of the people asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private.

Spokespeople for Microsoft and TikTok declined to comment on any potential talks. The software company’s interest in the app was reported earlier by Fox Business Network.

Trump on Friday night said he would ban TikTok from the U.S., and had the authority to do so by executive order or under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. He was signing the document on Saturday, he said.

“As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the United States,” the president told reporters. Asked when it would happen, he said: “Soon, immediately. I mean essentially immediately.”

Earlier in the day, he said that “we are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok.”

Any transaction could face regulatory hurdles. ByteDance bought Musical.ly Inc. in 2017 and merged it with TikTok, creating a social-media hit in the U.S -- the first Chinese app to make such inroads. As TikTok became more popular, U.S. officials grew concerned about the potential for the Chinese government to use the app to gain data on U.S. citizens.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. began a review in 2019 of the Musical.ly purchase. In recent years, CFIUS, which investigates overseas acquisitions of U.S. businesses, has taken a much more aggressive role in reviewing and approving deals that may threaten national security. It can recommend that the president block or unwind transactions.

It’s also possible that other potential buyers could come forward, said another person familiar with the discussions. Microsoft’s industry peers -- Facebook Inc., Apple Inc., Amazon.com Inc. and Alphabet Inc. -- fit the profile of potential suitors, though all are under antitrust scrutiny from U.S. regulators, which would likely complicate a deal.

A purchase of TikTok would represent a huge coup for Microsoft, which would gain a popular consumer app that has won over young people with a steady diet of dance videos, lip-syncing clips and viral memes. The company has dabbled in social-media investments in the past, but hasn’t developed a popular service of its own in the lucrative sector. Microsoft acquired the LinkedIn job-hunting and corporate networking company for $26.2 billion in 2016.

Microsoft can point to one acquisition that came with a massive existing community of users that has increased under its ownership -- the 2014 deal for Minecraft, the best-selling video game ever.

Other purchases of popular services have gone less well. The 2011 pickup of Skype led to several years of stagnation for the voice-calling service and Microsoft fell behind newer products in the category. Outside of Xbox, the company hasn’t focused on younger consumers. A TikTok deal could change that, though, and give Microsoft “a crown jewel on the consumer social media front,” Dan Ives, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, wrote in a note to investors Friday.

TikTok has repeatedly rejected accusations that it feeds user data to China or is beholden to Beijing, even though ByteDance is based there. TikTok now has a U.S.-based chief executive officer and ByteDance has considered making other organizational changes to satisfy U.S. authorities.

“Hundreds of millions of people come to TikTok for entertainment and connection, including our community of creators and artists who are building livelihoods from the platform,” a TikTok spokeswoman said Friday. “We’re motivated by their passion and creativity, and committed to protecting their privacy and safety as we continue working to bring joy to families and meaningful careers to those who create on our platform.”

The mechanics of separating the TikTok app in the U.S. from the rest of its operations won’t come without complications. Unlike many tech companies in the U.S. where engineers for, say, Google, work on particular products like YouTube or Google Maps, many of ByteDance’s engineers work across its different platforms and services and continue to work on TikTok globally.

Read more: TikTok Mulls Changes to Business to Distance Itself From China

On Thursday, U.S. Senators Josh Hawley, a Missouri Republican, and Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat, wrote the Justice Department asking for an investigation of whether TikTok has violated the constitutional rights of Americans by sharing private information with the Chinese government.

A deal with Microsoft could potentially help extract ByteDance from the political war between the U.S. and China.

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican and member of the Senate’s Select Committee on Intelligence, applauded the idea of a TikTok sale. “In its current form, TikTok represents a potential threat to personal privacy and our national security,” Rubio said in a statement. “We must do more than simply remove ByteDance from the equation. Moving forward, we must establish a framework of standards that must be met before a high-risk, foreign-based app is allowed to operate on American telecommunications networks and devices.”

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

SoftBank Uber firesale when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The best/worst part about Quibi is they can't even shut up shop and sell their library to Netflix/Amazon/Whoever because despite commissioning all the content the rights revert back to the creators after 3 years.