Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
OOC Thread is Here

The Yllhagroth Committee has made their decisions. Each member had a single vote they could use to sponsor a member of the final adventuring party.

Brianna Antinea was sponsored by Lady Isrieth. The Sorceress believes that Briana's experience as a former member of the Perdian army will give the team insight into how their enemy will act and move against them.

Lilith Avorena was sponsored by Hulmurn Turnbirg, who admires her head for trade and arcane mastery. During voting, he remarked that while Lilith wasn't a dwarf by birth, she is suitably dwarvish in spirit.

Lucius Severus Malcus was sponsored by Kelyse Nazrind. In her words, if he managed to pull one over on the High King once, he can do it again. Moreover, the Glades are bursting with plant life, giving ample opportunity for a skilled alchemist to work his trade.

Firgud Rigiron was sponsored by Mardora Struvast. While she still had some misgivings about sending him out on the mission, Mardora admitted that her fears were likely misplaced. If anyone could take find a way to take advantage of his current state, it would be Firgud "Battleaxe" Rigiron, and his experience leading troops would no doubt come in handy.

Maeve of the Stormlash claims Varalir Solvane as her sponsor. The Glades are a wild place, and she's had experience living in sparse conditions. In addition, forging a nation will require strength, and Maeve brings that of the entire Stormlash clan.

Jormund Fire-Stone and his loyal manservant Magnus were added onto the team as a personal request from the Queen of Magic, who theorized that putting him at a distance would lessen the effects of whatever bizarre condition allows him to steal her spells. "It's quite an annoyance," she remarked.

The six of you (seven, counting Magnus) were informed of your acceptance and brought to a briefing near Yllhagroth's southern border, during which you met each other and were informed of the mission parameters by none other than Maeve's sponsor, the Queen's First Ranger, Varalir Solvane. The ancient elf stands with a strong, rigid posture, his gaze serious as he lays out a map before you.

"Many attempts have been made to settle the Eternal Glades in the past, but one area in particular has resisted the most. That's this area in the center of the map- the forests and the swamp. This area is your objective. A team of dwarven soldiers under the command of Captain Braston Tumerlin has been sent ahead to the northern forests, and they've established a base camp here-" He indicates the camp with a small red dot.

"Your immediate objectives are to meet with Captain Tumerlin and fortify the base camp. Every other week a shipment of supplies courtesy of Turnbirg Trade will arrive there. If there's something you need that you aren't getting in the shipments, feel free to inform the Captain and we'll see what we can do. Once you've gotten yourself established in the region, our plan is to have the soldiers pull out of the area and return here to Yllhagroth. It will be up to you to explore the forest and the mire to the west. Eliminate or pacify any dangers you come across. Of particular concern are a group of bandits that appear to be operating from deep within the forests. I've received several reports from Captain Tumerlin and he suspects that they're Peridian soldiers, though we have yet to verify his claims."

------

That was a week ago. Since then, you and whatever supplies and equipment you need have been loaded onto a small caravan that's been heading south towards your destination. The dwarven oxen that pull the wagons are slow, but strong and steady creatures and you can already see the dense forests of the Glade looming on the horizon. By now you've had one week to get used to each other and begin to operate as a team. The skies have been clear and you're set to reach the base camp by sundown today.

That in mind..
What are your impressions of the other characters? Just offhand, who do you trust the most and who do you trust the least?
Were there any mishaps during your travels? If so, detail them and how you worked together (or didn't) to solve them.
Also, if you have any questions you'd like to ask Varalir, feel free to include those in your post and I'll retroactively answer them.
Also also, roll Icon dice.

red plastic cup fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith is in her element right now; she's been riding along with caravans since literally the day she was born (a schedule is a schedule). Everything has been inventoried and recorded, ration use is within normal tolerances, and they were nearly at base camp. Because old instincts died hard, in her wagon was a variety of items that soldiers inevitably want but weren't issued by command, like well-made boots, dried sweets, chewleaf, and, of course, a small collection of erotic woodcuts (they'd been out here a while).

Impressions

Brianna Antina - How much has been wasted by men and women simply following orders? It would have been nice had she realized the monstrosity she was aiding before she decapitated the dwarven kingdom. And yet, there is no profit to be found in grudges. I will trust in Lady Isrieth's judgement.

Lucius Severus Malcus - Con artists such as him are a perennial headache. Thieves, burglars, and bandits are simple, straightforward problems that can be accounted for, dealt with, or insured against as needed, but men like him undermine the trust merchants like me need to function. Still, he has chosen the right side in this, and has the approval of the Committee, so I won't dismiss him. But I won't be buying or selling any of his product unless they are very carefully tested.

Firgud Rigiron - A talented and loyal general by all accounts, despite his current...difficulties. I do not consider myself an expert in necromancy, but whoever raised him preserved a truly irreplaceable mind.

Maeve of the Stormlash - Another atrocity to add to the High King's tally. Still, her connection to the Dragon Council intrigues me; if they will bargain with her, perhaps I can convince them to bargain with the world. Their isolation makes both them and this land poorer.

Jormund Fire-Stone - A fop, to be frank, but there's barely a malicious bone in his body. He's much easier to deal with than the rest of his family was, may they rest in peace. I wouldn't mind allying with him - there's a great deal we can offer one another. As long as I never let him near my books.

Magnus Magnusson - Smarter than he looks, and more important than he thinks. The world requires its Magnussons to keep spinning on its axis

Who do you trust the least? Lucius. For really obvious reasons.

Who do you trust the most? Firgud. I respect professionalism, loyalty, and competence, and he has all three.

Icon Roll: High King, Uncrowned Prince, Uncrowned Prince: 3#1d6 5 3 3

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 8, 2016

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

The trip started out well enough. Firgud pulled his weight in his own way, setting up patrol and watch rotation. As people split off and the caravan begin to whittle down to the party itself, another problem became known. Firgud made the oxen a little skittish, and tended to go flying when the wagon hit a bump if he wasn't tied down. So Firgud had to convince someone to carry him.

At first he browbeat Magnus into keeping him around, hoping to regale him with old war stories. But the poor boy shivered so much he dropped Firgud into a cask of wine. Purely out of self preservation Firgud ended up drinking half the barrel to stay breathing, which then caused Lilith and Jormund to get riled, both at the loss of the whole cask (it being filled with beard hair and Firgud) and trying to figure out how in the hells a decapitated head can consume anything.

From that point on Maeve or her skeletal tag along carried Firgud around.

Impressions

Brianna Antina: Didn't expect a Peridian Knight to be riding with us. Not that she'd be a liability, mind. Been watching her drill, she's going to be a right terror on the field. Its just... she looks familiar, and not in the friendly way. Not her face, most of the Peridians have these full mask helmets, but in her technique. Wish I could place it, its been bothering me for weeks.

Lilith Avorena: Blood law, can't say its ever been my forte, but the Master of the Mountain recognized her family, and so shall I. Which, therefore, makes her a dwarven merchant, the most skinflint, hard selling group of cheapskates this side of the Arcans. Bright side is, she'll be getting deals for us, not squeezing us for every copper we have. Hopefully

Lucius Severus Malcus: Sneaky, tricky, a pathological liar. I'd turn my nose if I could, but considering the stomping we suffered at Boldirgirn we're going to need people just like him to survive the coming war. And, in a funny way, I can count on him to lie, sneak, and con at every opportunity. Almost makes him reliable.

Maeve of the Stormlash: The girl herself is a fine enough fighter. Wild, but not uncontrolled. Vicious, but not sadistic. But she knows next to nothing of what the Dragons did to her heart, and I don't trust those scaly hermits. It's going to bite us in the rear end, I know it.

Jormund Fire-Stone: He called me a do-nothing! Sharp words, so I called him an empty-headed fop, which started a giant row which spooked the oxen and ended up with me hanging on to his hair with my teeth while he slapped at me, both of us tumbling in the dirt. Most fun I had in ages! Dwarven brotherhood at its finest.

Magnus Magnusson: The nob's serving boy. Seems spooked by me. I've been amusing myself by hiding in the provision barrels when he goes to fetch food. Reminds me of my days as a boot camp sergeant.

Icon Dice (Prince +, Ghostly +, King -): 1d6 2 1d6 6 1d6 1
6 with the Ghostly Lady

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lucius Severus Malcus

Lucius was nervous as the trip began. He knew he needed to do something, instead of waiting for the war to start, but he hadn't been out in such wilderness for a long time. He'd make do though- still better than the streets of his childhood. He was a bit rusty with his sword though: had been doing some practise to get him back in form, although he may have broken an axle on a wagon with a misplaced stroke. Still, it was fixed, and no-one knew he broke it, so all was well.

The Lilith women seemed to have the caravan itself running well, and from the glares she was shooting him he doubted he should get involved. Easy to look at though: he'd have to try and charm her later: although that was always risky, with magicians, you didn't want them to "accidentally" catch you on the edge of their fireballs.

He wasn't sure why they'd brought the head along. He knew Firgud's reputation, and while he was always renowned as a war hero, his only asset now would be tactics, and Lucius doubted they'd be many troops to command on a surveying expedition. Was this just a bored head trying to get out of the office?

Brianna he recognized, from the court of the High King. Always seemed much too honourable to defect, but he knew people had all kinds of secrets. Whatever it was that caused her to defeat, it was big: he could almost see the burden of silence she carried. Still, she would be a welcome asset in a fight, and he expected many of those to come.

Maeve was an odd one: He'd never have much cause to interact with the tribes before, and Maeve seemed the archetypical tribeswomen, oddly dressed and ready for a fight. Apparently she could see ghosts aswell, which slightly creeped Lucius out. He'd tread carefully around her, and try and make sure she was angry at the enemy and not him.

Jormund was the type of dwarf Lucius had gotten to know well, boisterous, always up for a drink, and great company. He would have made a great mark if Lucius was still in the business, but he would make a great friend outside it. His manservant was a good egg aswell, always doing what was needed around the place without complaint, and seemed to have a good head on his sholders. Whatever he was getting paid, it wasn't enough. He did hope Jormund wouldn't need babysitting in conflict though - Lucius wasn't sure how well he could handle himself, although from Magnus's stance he at least would not.

Icon dice: High king 2- Uncrowned Price 1+: 3d6 2 2 3

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 8, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Brianna Antinea

After the cursory introductions are done Brianna avoids saying much more about herself and remains particularly tight-lipped about her past as a Peridian knight. She spends most of the time they travel keeping her eyes open, on the road, the surrounding lands, the weather, her new companions. When evening arrives and they've made camp she usually walks a short distance away to pray to the distant gods and relentlessly practice weapon drills. During one such session she suddenly hears Figurd call out and as she turns around she finds herself faced with a lone starving wolf. She stares hard into its eyes for a long minute, ready to lunge out with her sword the moment it moved in for the attack, but instead it turns tail and disappears into the underbrush. She takes a deep breath and nods thankfully to the dwarf then resumes practicing with her blade. This time paying more attention to her surroundings.

Impressions

Lilith Avorena: Despite what the dwarves may say she looks and acts very much like a human to me. Her set of skills are highly useful, a good head for logistics will be invaluable for what lies ahead of us, but I'm concerned that her loyalty may lie with gold and profit foremost and the rest of us a distant second. At least she seems to put her hatred of the High King before her lust for money, something that I should be able to work with.

Lucius Severus Malcus: Isn't that the supposed alchemist who disappeared with quite the sizable sum of the High Kings gold? Yes, I vividly remember his grandiose demonstration of that explosive powder and the king's eagerness to acquire large amounts of it. Who is he trying to con by heading out into the wilderness I wonder? Perhaps he's merely attempting to outrun his past, if so there's at least something we have in common. Still, he will have to work twice as hard as anyone else if he wishes to earn my trust.

Figurd Rigiron: It took but an instant for me to recognize who he was, it might have taken longer were it not for the fact that he looks exactly like he did when I saw him last. At first I thought I had gone insane, that my guilt-ridden conscience had summoned this ghost from my past to haunt me, but as others acknowledged the existence of the still living severed head it became clear that was not the case. How can he still be alive? He was the general that we publicly executed along with his surviving soldiers in that drawn out procession in the dwarven capital. He might have been a brilliant strategist and his feint did what it was designed to do, but he had not realized that we weren't playing by the same rules and it spelled his doom. Or so I thought. Luckily enough he does not seem to recognize me, but how can I not be reminded of that bloodbath every time I look at him?

Maeve Stormlash: The Stormlash were both right and wrong to defy the High King. Right because they saw him for the tyrant he was. Wrong because standing against him was hopeless. If the High King did one good thing it was uniting the warring human tribes, would the Stormlash have stood against someone with a more noble heart who tried to do the same? It hardly matters anymore, Maeve is the only living Stormlash I have ever met since their destruction. As for the woman herself her steadfast defiance of the High King is something to aspire to, but I think that the way she wields the powers of death like a weapon goes against the Ghostly Lady's teachings. I can't find myself to fault Maeve for it though, it is hard to live according to her teachings the way this world has been shaped.

Jormund Fire-Stone: Yet another dwarf with personal ties to my recent past, I wonder if it's the designs of the distant gods that have joined our paths. It was his clan of prideful fools that stood with their king, too stubborn to break rank and flee when faced with inevitable defeat and ultimately paid for it with their lives. It's not surprising that he would resent me for having been one of the Peridian knights responsible for their deaths, but the looks he gives me makes me wonder just how much more he knows. His manservant seems amicable enough, but I won't make the mistake of letting my guard down when Jormund is around. I fear no danger ahead of me, it is the one at my back that worries me.

-1 High King, ~1 Uncrowned Prince, +1 Ghostly Lady: 3#1d6 2 1 6
Positive 6 with the Ghostly Lady.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 9, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jormund Fire-Stone / Magnus Magnusson XXXI

Jormund may not have gone through this EXACT wliderness per say, but exploration was in his blood. His fanciness and finery carefully packed away, he put on his proper mud-stomping outfit (which was nonetheless still top of the line in fashion back home) and gleefully took this as a challenge worth defeating. There had been one or two minor missteps - nothing serious, just mostly cases of over exuberance on Jormund's behalf - and that one thing with the venomous snake, but nothing terrible long term, aside from irritation at the presence of a large cask of wine ("wasteful!").

~*~

Jormund's take on the others

Lilith - Our laws say she's a dwarf, so she's a dwarf. Got a good head for numbers, I'll give her that, it may as well all be chicken scratch to me but it's important to have someone ELSE to do that sorta thing. Still though, what a queer form of magic! Never heard of it coming out of a BOOK before now, I tell you what. Not proper. But she's still a dwarf, so that makes it automatically proper again. What a conundrum. Magnus! My ale!
Firgud - What an odd sight! A head without a body! If he has no livers, how's he supposed to have a proper drink? And losing your entire body, well - that's downright irresponsible, isn't it? Why, that head just sits around all day! Lazy! Hmph. I'll have to pay closer attention to this one, make sure he's not slacking off!
Briana - I know what you did.
Maeve - What terrifying power! Not dwarven, is what it is. And dragon power, well, no good can come of that. And did I hear right - her tribe was attacked by the High King? Humans, murdering each other off! Savages, really. At any rate, that terrifying power of hers could also be useful. So long as she doesn't get all...heathen-ish about it.
Lucius - Claims to be quite the alchemist. Does this extend to the brewing arts, I wonder? We should get a still built first thing in our new home and find out! Human ale likely won't be anywhere near proper dwarven brew, but any oasis in a desert I suppose. Not a bad fellow to pass the time with either; I wonder if he was noble born as well?
Group - Hmph. Too many humans, I tell you what. Only two other dwarves; one is some shiftless layabout, and the other is obsessed with books and numbers. I suppose it is up to me to be the proper vanguard of dwarven culture and excellence! Fortunately, I was born to do just that!

Who do I trust the least? Briana. One of my uncles returned from that battle.
Who do I trust the most? Lilith. A good sort, honorable, strong thinker, clever, adaptive, understands the importance of gold, and a good, honest worker. Dwarven to the bone.

Magnus' take on the others

Lilith - Never seen a human-dwarf before. Think she'll teach me to be better at math? Only, I sorta handle the books for Master Fire-Stone, and I could use the help...
Firgud - This is just about the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.
Briana - Master Fire-Stone won't talk about her. Gets all grim. She seems nice enough for a human, very focused in a way that, uh, certain dwarves aren't, but I don't think that's why he refuses to acknowledge her just yet. Still, she's a member of our group, so Master Fire-Stone will have to learn to get used to it!
Maeve - Scary!!! Did she have anything to do with Mr Rigiron's state? I'd ask, but I'm afraid to be in a room alone with one of them, much less both!
Lucius - Master Fire-Stone trusts him too much. He has eyes like a snake.
Group - ...Where's all the elves? Thought they were a part of this too. Awwww. Master Fire-Stone always reprimanded me for it, but I rather liked them. Nobody tell him, but I learned some good cooking techniques from them that I've been mixing them with traditional dwarven cooking to make some fantastic meals. And the way they taught me to fight! Brilliant!

Who do I trust the least? Maeve or Lucius. The first one is terrifying; the second, clearly some kinda con-man.
Who do I trust the most? Were it not for Master Fire-Stone, I would assume Briana is the most trustworthy. A lot of the others seem to think so. But, well, I've never actually talked to her!

~*~

Prince, Prince, Queen: 3#1d6 5 5 6
Oh my~

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

I got nothin' particularly interesting for a scene for pre-game so here's Maeve's impressions.

Impressions

Brianna Antinea - She served the High KIng and is party to the butchering of my clan and the dwarves. I would happily end this serpent's life if Grigori did not urge me to wait. That she might truly seek redemption. I shall watch her, and if she is a snake within our midst I shall be ready to end her, and win much glory in defeating such a skilled opponent.

Lilith Avorena - Though our weapons and upbringing are as different as the Sun and the Moon, we are the same. That the High King so readily commits such destruction of kin only emboldens my desire to see the crown fall from his broken head. And I suspect Lilith will see me to that day.

Lucius Severus Malcus - I've seen his ilk before, fools with more honeyed words then sense. Rook sees worth in one who can con kings, though he'll readily admit that he may be a blade with two edges.

Firgud Rigiron - Not long ago I would have belittled Firgud, asking what use a head and nothing more could do to aid anyone. It shames me that it required the annihilation of my home and a bargain with dragons to realize the true worth of experience and counsel. That he had an honorable death and can still aid his kin is an enviable thing.

Jormund Fire-Stone - How does one so short look down on those taller than himself?

Magnus Magnusson - As skittish as a mouse and unable to see past the life of servitude to his better, and still he remains the better half of the pair. As pitiable as his master is haughty, but if he won't save himself from the leash then no one can.

I do not trust this Brianna regardless of her or Grigori's words, and not only because I wish her dead for the destruction of my clan. She may still work for the High King, an attempt to undermine his foes before his armies are ready, or to gather information.

I trust Lilith. We are sisters in tragedy, having lost much to the whims of the High King. Her kin paid in blood for the dwarves, and it is heartening to see the dwarves respect such a thing.

Icon Dice (Dragon+, Ghost~, King-): 3#1d6 3 1 6

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

A single barrel of wine gone to waste and a chance encounter with a hungry wolf prove to be of little hindrance at all, and as the sun sinks lower on the horizon your caravan approaches the edge of the forests. The vegetation starts out sparse, but grows very dense deeper into the forest. According to the map you've been provided, the base camp isn't very far into the forest, but the trees and the underbrush are so difficult to navigate that it takes you about an hour of searching around the forest's perimeter to find a path of clear-cut vegetation. Pinned to a nearby tree is a dwarven war-banner, with a crude letter "T" carved into the bark below. This must be Of course, by the time you begin traversing the path it's clear that something is very wrong.

Lucius was the first to notice it while the rest of you were searching for the path: a dark plume of smoke rises above the mighty treetops of the Glade that seems to be coming from somewhere deeper within the forest. As it so happens, traversing the path only brings you closer to the smoke, a fact which inspires Lilith to drive the wagons with extra haste. However, the narrow forest path is rough on the wagons, and the axle that Lucius accidentally broke chooses that exact moment to snap, crippling one of the wagons. By now, you're all close enough to hear the sounds of shouting, but the voices are nearly drowned out by the slow, steady rumble of something large that's been set ablaze. Grabbing your gear, the seven of you desert the wagons and run (or "are carried" in Firgud's case) down the rest of the path, where you come across the source of the smoke.

A group of rough-looking men and women are gathered outside of the entrance of what must be the base camp that Varalir sent you to find. Nearly everything seems to be on fire, and as you draw closer it's plain to see why. The humans outside have been setting their arrows ablaze before launching them into the camp. A large house-like structure near the center of the camp seems to have gotten the worst of it, and the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. As for the humans themselves, it's easy to spot the red and black armor of the Peridian army that they're wearing. Brianna, however, notices something else. The High King has some very stringent policies regarding army dress code, and she can't help but note that every single one of these soldiers would be written up to their superior officer for flagrant violations of their uniform. There are at least ten of them all together, but barely five full sets of armor between them.

They take notice of you quickly. One soldier, a dark-haired woman with an eyepatch, turns to face you with a shocked expression. They clearly weren't expecting you, but the woman is quick to adapt. "Reinforcements! Forget the dwarves, engage them now!" One of her soldiers, a long-haired man, rolls his eyes and bends down to slit the throat of the dwarven soldier he'd been trying to force under the blazing watchtower. It seems you've got a fight on your hands!

Roll for initiative. Once we establish a turn order I'll post the enemies' stat blocks so you know what numbers to hit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Initative: 1d20+6 26

pre:
Lucius Severus Malcus

Stats		Powers			
HP 40/40 	{ }Roll With it	
AC 17		{ }Evasive strike	 	
PD 17		{ }Sure Cut	
MD 15		{ }Deflection
                { }Slick Feint
                { }Shadow Walk
Re 8/8 3d6+2				 

Short Sword +6 vs. AC — 3d8+3 Damage

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

Initiative: 2d20k1+4 22 Quick to Fight's real good y'all.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 40/40   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (3d8+1)   Initiative: +4
AC 20     PD 15     MD 17
Two Handed Mace (MBA): 1d20+6+ED; 3d8+3, 3 Miss
Shortbow (RBA): 1d20+4+ED; 3d6+1

Encounter			Daily/Recharge
[ ]Savage Lash                  [ ][ ]Savage Lash Daily
[ ]Command Undead I             [ ][ ]Lay On Hands
[ ]Armored In Life              [ ]Summon Undead I
                                [ ]Zombie Form I
				[ ]Terror I
				[ ]Unholy Blast I

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Initiative: 1d20+2 3 lol

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud notes the fighting and frowns. He talks to the skeleton carrying him. "Say, put me down on this stump, yes right here there's a lad." From here he has a fairly good view of the battle.
"They've got the edge on bodies, but I think we can handle that alright. Mind clearing some of the chaff, Ms. Averona?"

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 40/40 (00)		[ ]Battle Captain
AC 17			[ ]Scramble (16+)
PD 12			[ ]BTS (11+)	
MD 18		
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+1)		Command Points: 2
Melee: 1d20+2+ED; 3d6-1

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Initiative: 1d20+7 19
Magnus automatically goes on my turn before Jormund

pre:
Jormund Fire-stone 	 	 	 	Magnus Magnusson
HP: 45/45   	 	 	 	 	 HP: 36/36
Recoveries: 8/8 (3d6+2)
AC 19, PD 16, MD 13 	 	 	 	 AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

Basic Attack 	 	 	 	  	Basic Attack
 +7 vs AC, 3d8+7 	 	 	 	 +7 vs AC, 2d6	 	

Daily/Recharge 	 	 	 	 	Battle Cries
 [ ] Acid Arrow  1	 	 	 	 Pull it Together 1 (11+)
 [ ] Sound Burst  1	 	 	 	 Stay Strong 1 (16+)
 [ ] Charm Person 1 	 	 	 	 We Need You 1 (even hit)
 [ ] Song of Heroes 1 (re 11+)
 [ ][ ] Animal Companion Spells           

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

The bandits were supposed to be operating from deep within the forest and yet they've successfully assaulted a fortified position all the way out here? They must be more dangerous than I thought. Former Peridian soldiers turned to banditry would start to explain it. Brianna thinks to herself as she draws her weapon and steps forward, pointing her longsword directly at the woman with the eyepatch. "Bandit scum, you will answer for your crimes one way or the other, but I can promise you no mercy if you do not drop your weapons this instant and surrender to our judgement."

Initiative: 1d20+2 15
Skilled Intercept: 1d20 2, Nope. The way I've been handling skilled intercept over PBP before is that I roll once for the upcoming round on my turn and then give you a short priority list of who I want to intercept for. Just let me know if you wish to do it some other way.

pre:
Brianna Antinea

Stats		Powers			Maneuvers
HP 50/50 	{ }[ ][ ][ ] Smite	Deadly Assault (Even hit)
AC 23		{ } Bash Daze	 	Bash! (Odd roll or any hit /w shield)
PD 15		{ } Bastion		Defensive Fighting (Odd roll or 16+ /w shield)
MD 17		{ } Surprising		Taunt (Odd roll)
Re 10/10 3d10+2				 

Longsword and Shield +6 vs. AC — 3d8+3 Damage
Claymore +6 vs. AC — 3d10+3 Damage

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena
Initiative: 1d20+3 15

pre:
Lilith Avorena
HP: 40/40   Recoveries: 8/8 (3d6+2)   Initiative: +3
AC 15     PD 13     MD 18
Voidmote: autohit (roll for crit/crit miss); 2d3, Weaken on even
Crescendo: 1d20+7+ED; 4d6, 3 miss, pop free on hit, multitarget with penalty

Daily/Recharge
[ ]Shield (Recharge 11+)                  
[ ]Force Salvo         
[ ]Lightning Bolt
[ ][ ]Utility Spell             

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

The woman with the eye-patch shoots Brianna a glare that shifts into recognition. "I'm scum? Ha! We're both deserters from where I'm standing, Knight!" With a flourish of her saber, the woman inclines her head in a mocking salute as she introduces herself. "Ex-Sergeant Yvonne Wells. My Captain might be interested to meet you, but your associates are unnecessary. Kill them!" At Well's order, two of the soldiers rush forward, their swords at the ready. One heads for Brianna and manages to batter his way past her shield to deliver a running stab to her midsection. The other reaches Jormund, but a shout from Magnus alerts him to the soldier's swing before it can connect.
Deserter Soldier: Army-Issue Sword vs AC (Brianna, Jormund): 2#1d20+7 25 9 Brianna is hit and takes 8 damage. Jormund is not hit.

The long-haired man draws back his bow and takes aim, his sights settling on Maeve. Fortunately his shot goes wide and he swears before nocking another arrow, scanning the battlefield for a chance to take another shot.
Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine: Flaming Arrow vs AC: 1d20+7 15
Opportunistic Shot: When Petrine is not engaged, all enemies take 3 damage every time they make a move action.

With the rolls as-is, it would make combat a little messy, so in the interest of keeping things flowing, I've broken the combatants up into blocks. People in the block can post any time. Lucius, Maeve, and Jormund are up.
Initiative Order:
Deserter Soldier Red
Deserter Soldier Blue
Ex-Corporal Petrine (long-haired man)
Lucius
Maeve
Jormund

Ex-Sergeant Wells
Deserter Soldier Green
Deserter Soldier Yellow
Deserter Archers
Brianna
Lilith
Firgud

All enemies are considered to be Nearby. Standing in (or pushing someone into) the fire deals 1d8 damage per round.

Ex-Sergeant Yvonne Wells: 3rd Level Leader

quote:

HP: 66 | AC: 16 | PD: 11 | MD: 14
Fighting Withdrawal: When Ex-Sergeant Wells successfully disengages, one of the enemies engaged with her takes 1d6 damage
Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine (Long-Haired Man): 2nd Level Archer

quote:

HP: 50 | AC: 15 | PD: 14 | MD: 10
Unpredictable: Petrine gains a +5 bonus to disengage checks, and when he successfully disengages, one of the enemies engaged with him takes 1d6 damage.
Opportunistic Shot: When Petrine is not engaged, all enemies take 3 damage every time they make a move action.
Deserter Soldier x4: 2nd Level Troops

quote:

HP: 45 | AC: 16 | PD: 11 | MD: 11
Fast Strike: Opponents engaged with the soldier take 3 damage each time they attempt to disengage (successful or unsuccessful)
Deserter Archer x5: 2nd Level Mooks

quote:

HP: 14 (70 total) | AC: 14 | PD: 11 | MD: 10

red plastic cup fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 10, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lucius Severus Malcus

Lucius jumped into action: He really didn't want to become a pincushion for all those archers, especially if they might set him on fire. Grabbing a pellet from his belt, he ran towards the enemy and threw it at his feet, hoping the distraction would work.

Shadow Walk VS MD 14: 1d20+7 8

Unfortunally, Lucius misjudged exactly how far in front of his feet he needed to throw the pellet, and he ended up stamping on the smoke before it spread: not much use. Still, Lucius kept charging: all he could do at that point, but stab one of the archers and jump back.

Evasive strike VS AC 14: 1d20+6 23
Damage: 3d8+3 15

The clean stab into the chest brings the archer to his knees. Lucius dances backwards, ready to dodge the next blow his way

pre:
Lucius Severus Malcus

Stats		Powers			
HP 37/40 	{ }Roll With it	
AC 17		{ }Evasive strike	 	
PD 17		{ }Sure Cut	
MD 15		{ }Deflection
                { }Slick Feint
                { }Shadow Walk
Re 8/8 3d6+2				 
Momentum? = Yes

I attacked and killed the nearest archer on the left. The first person to who hits me with a melee attack this round has their damage halfed, thanks to Roll With It

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

As the arrow flies past Maeve she takes a single step forward before the spirit of Rook 'grabs' her shoulder. "Hold, Maeve. It would be an excellent time to try a spell, before you join the melee." Rook's spectral hand points out the archer that fired upon Maeve. "Perhaps make that one know the fear of those he killed?"

Nodding, Maeve focuses and begins chanting, a subtle otherworldly glow growing around her eyes, before looking to the eyes of the archer and saying with an unnaturally cold voice "Reap the terror you've sown, brigand!", hand outstretched and pointing accusingly at her target, the blue light streaking from her eyes to his in an instant, striking him.

Free: Use Armored In Life!
-Negates any armor-related attack penalties.
Move, Quick, Standard: Use a Cackling Soliloquist-powered Terror on Ex-Corporal Laurence
-Cackling Terror vs MD (@Laurie): 1d20+5 13 Laurence must spend all of his actions on his turn to move away from the battle, disengaging if he must, Hard Save(16+) ends. If he fails to disengage with all actions he will not move.
Cackling Soliloquist Benefits:
-Maeve gains Cackling THP: 1d6+5 11 THP
--Spell benefit, a couple of the dead dwarves spirits will be around after the fight to answer questions, since I'm trying to make him see the spirits of those he's killed?
Skeletal Minion
Move: Engage a Deserter Archer
Standard: Attack said Deserter Archer
-Melee Attack (@Deserter Archer Mook): 1d20+11 24 1d12 9 Someone's taking 9 damage.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 40/40   THP (11)   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (3d8+1)   Initiative: +4

[ ]Zombie Form I
				[-]Terror I (18+)
				[ ]Unholy Blast I
Skeletal Minion
HP 22/22 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13
Melee Basic Attack: +9 vs AC - 1d12 damage
Edit:Corrected Skeletal Minion Attack Bonus

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 11, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Magnus - behind!"

The noble keeps the ex-soldier's attention with his blade as Magnus dodges away to attack the enemy from the rear, the both of them ignoring the peppering of arrows, allowing the two to catch him between! As they skewer, Magnus suddenly shouts out "Lilith, beware the archers! Standing in the back won't stop an arrow from cracking your skull!"

Magnus Attack, Damage; Jormund Attack, Damage: 1d20+7 21 2d6 8 1d20+7 23 3d8+7 17
25 22 damage total to Deserter Soldier Red as I remember you don't add level to damage! Lilith gains +2 AC until my next turn.

pre:
HP: 42/45   	 	 	 	 	 HP: 33/36

+7 vs AC, 3d8+4 	 	 	 	 +7 vs AC, 2d6	 	

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 10, 2016

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Note: I moved Laurence before I was supposed to so let's just say he took his turn early and when his normal turn comes around he just gets to save.

As Maeve weaves her dragon-granted magic around the fallen bodies of the dwarven soldiers, she notices something. One of the dwarves, the one who's throat Laurence had slit, yet lives. The cut wasn't deep enough to kill, but the dwarf is still losing blood quite rapidly and Maeve can sense that he's close to death.

Unless the dwarf receives medical attention (which can be administered by succeeding on a DC 15 skill check as a quick action while engaged with him) by the time the Escalation Die reaches 2, he will bleed out and die. He's the one without the red overlay on the map, with the blobby blood icon.

The other dwarves, however, are quite dead and Maeve is able to wrest their spirits from their bodies just in time for her spell to take effect. The long-haired man fires a glancing shot (opportunistic shot) at Lucius and glances over his shoulder, letting out a scream as the spectral dwarves assault him with accusatory anger. Pushing his way past Ex-Sergeant Wells, he begins fleeing into the woods. "Laurence? Dammit, get back here!" The woman shouts at the fleeing man, snarling as she turns her attention back to the party. With her saber at the ready, she charges at Jormund and delivers a slash across his chest. "Get on them you whelps, we'll be back at camp before nightfall!"

Ex-Sergeant Wells: Army Saber @ Jormund: 1d20+9 19 Jormund takes 10 damage. All deserters gain +2 to all melee attack rolls until the start of her next turn.

Emboldened by her shouts, the deserters form up and charge with her. One soldier moves to engage Lucius and swings at him, but the wily alchemist evades his attack. The other has a bit more luck against Maeve's skeleton.

Deserter Soldier: Army-Issue Sword @ Lucius: 1d20+7 10 (Forgot to add the Ex-Sergeant's bonus to these rolls. This one is still a miss.)
Deserter Soldier: Army-Issue Sword @ Stormlash Skeleton: 1d20+7 18 (This one becomes a hit, though. Minion takes 8 damage.)

The archers spread out and take aim, sending flaming arrows at Magnus, Maeve, and Lilith. Luckily, agile adventurers are much harder to hit than buildings and forts. The one attacked by Maeve's skeleton retaliates with a blow from his mace, to similar effect.

Deserter Archer: Flaming Arrow @ Magnus: 1d20+6 15
Deserter Archer: Flaming Arrow @ Maeve: 1d20+6 15
Deserter Archer: Flaming Arrow @ Lilith: 1d20+6 8
Deserter Archer: Army-Issue Mace @ Stormlash Skeleton: 1d20+5+2 12

Initiative Order: Brianna, Lilith, and Firgud are up.

All enemies are considered to be Nearby. The dwarf is Nearby as well. Standing in (or pushing someone into) the fire deals 1d8 damage per round. You may attempt to do so as a quick action skill check against the enemy's PD+5 (Pushing Ex-Sgt. Wells into the fire, for example, would require a hit against 16). For reference: http://pelgranepress.com/index.php/dicey-stunts-for-13th-age/

quote:

Ex-Sergeant Yvonne Wells: 3rd Level Leader
HP: 66 | AC: 16 | PD: 11 | MD: 14
Fighting Withdrawal: When Ex-Sergeant Wells successfully disengages, one of the enemies engaged with her takes 1d6 damage

quote:

Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine (Long-Haired Man): 2nd Level Archer (Currently affected by Terror. Any damage breaks the effect.)
Unpredictable: Petrine gains a +5 bonus to disengage checks, and when he successfully disengages, one of the enemies engaged with him takes 1d6 damage.
Opportunistic Shot: When Petrine is not engaged, all enemies take 3 damage every time they make a move action. This doesn't apply while he's affected by Terror.

quote:

Deserter Soldier x4: 2nd Level Troops (Soldier Red has 23 HP and is just shy from being staggered. The others are at full health.)
Fast Strike: Opponents engaged with the soldier take 3 damage each time they attempt to disengage (successful or unsuccessful)

quote:

Deserter Archer x4: 2nd Level Mooks (One mook has 4 HP. Other three are at full health)
HP: 14 (46 total) | AC: 14 | PD: 11 | MD: 10

red plastic cup fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 11, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

Lilith's eyes were calculating as she nodded her assent to Firgud's command. "This will be risky - I may need backup." She ran forward, leveraging her magic to lower the exchange barriers of the power of thunder. Up close to three of the deserters, she clapped her hands, and the sudden supply shock shook one of the three and moved Lilith free, but the other two seemed to shake it off without too much issue. Not good.

Engaging the two deserter soldiers and Ex-Sergeant Yvonne Wells.

Crescendo Attack Roll: Soldier, Soldier, Sergeant: 1d20+4 7 - Whoop, forgot the 3#
Crescendo Attack Roll: Soldier, Sergeant: 2#1d20+4 22 10

Crescendo Damage: 4d6 20
20 damage to blue soldier and pops free of him. Sergeant and red soldier take 3 damage.

pre:
Lilith Avorena
HP: 40/40   Recoveries: 8/8 (3d6+2)   Initiative: +3

Daily/Recharge
[ ]Shield (Recharge 11+)                  
[ ]Force Salvo         
[ ]Lightning Bolt
[ ][ ]Utility Spell             

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

"Put on some armor or stay out of the melee Lilith!" What was the girl thinking? Brianna does not take her attention off her opponent as she speaks, she shakes off the blow that snuck past her shield and pushes him back, wading both of them deeper into the brawl until she's within reach of the ex-sergeant. She locks eyes with the one eyed woman. "We may both be deserters from Peridia, but the comparison ends there." With a powerful blow she sends the woman reeling backwards, then she follows it up with a perfectly aimed stab that bypasses the sergeant's inadequate armor entirely, opening up a deep wound in her side that starts bleeding profusely. "You are outclassed, outranked and outmatched. You should have accepted my mercy when you had the chance."

Move to slightly reposition myself so that I'm engaged with both the Blue and Red Deserters as well as Ex-Sergeant Wells. (GM fiat)
Fighter Attack vs Ex-Sergeant Wells: 1d20+6 26, Natural 20! Even hit, using Deadly Assault to add 6 to the damage. 3d8+3 (3d8+3+6)*2 42 Damage! But wait, there's more.
I was told Figurd was planning to use Hit Harder if I hit, so let's do it! Rerolling the two bad dice I had and adding 5 to the damage roll.
Hit Harder: 2d8 4 Same result as before, but the damage is now (3d8+3+6+5)*2 52 Damage! :getin:

Skilled Intercept: 1d20+1 16, Success.
If given the choice I'll prioritize intercepting in the following order: Lilith, Figurd, Jormund, Lucius, Maeve.

pre:
Brianna Antinea

HP 42/50 	{ }[ ][ ][ ] Smite	Deadly Assault (Even hit)
Re 10/10 3d10+2				 

Passive Effects
Threatening: When an enemy attempts to disengage from me they take -2 to the check.
Counter-Attack: Once per round, when an enemy misses me with a natural odd melee attack roll
		I can make a basic melee attack against that enemy as a free action.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 12, 2016

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

As Brianna dives into the fray Firgud notes she's gotten herself quite into the thick of things. Not that it turned out to be a problem. "Come on Jormund, keep up the press! Strike from the ground up, Brianna!"
Firgud nods in satisfaction as the knight quite nearly chops the enemy leader in half. Shouldn't take long to clean this up, and as he glances over the battlefield the weaknesses and risks become clear. He nods to himself. First they needed to guard the light artillery.
"You've got a chance, humans, move!" Wait he should probably use names, drat, missed the moment. "Maeve, cover Lucius, go go!"

Firgud notices the enemy leader misstep. That wound's left her weak on the left side. "Antinea, bash and press!" Brianna responds with military precision, using her shield hand to knock the sword away before neatly cutting her throat open. "Hah! That's the way its done!"

One leader dead, the other fleeing for his life. Time to press the advantage. Firgud begins to hop up and down on his stump and shout.
"Give up, you sorry shitstains! You think you're going to last a second against us! Your captain's dead! Her second is fleeing for the hills! Either you join him, or you show us you have two working cells to rub together in those crust stained craniums and GIVE. UP."

Weigh the Odds: 1d4 4 CP gained. One of you miss its the only way I'm spending these things fast enough.
Quick: Scramble! targets: 1d3 3 I'm staying put, But Lilith, Lucius, and... Maeve? can move
Lilith, Lucius, Disengage checks: 2#1d20 5 8 both fail! Both have to stay put.
Maeve has a free move action to engage whomever she chooses. I'd suggest orange soldier to be a sneak attack buddy.

Move->quick: Basic Tactical Strike for Brianna.
BTS for Brianna: 1d20+6 17 hits, 3d8+3 15 damage, neatly kills her!

Give up, assholes! Former General + CHA: 1d20+9 29 nat 20!

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
AC 17			[x]Scramble (16+)
PD 12			[x]BTS (11+)	
MD 18		
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+1)		Command Points: 5

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

Rook appeased and spurned on by a shouting head Maeve bolts forward towards the deserter being menaced by Lucius, mace raised and ready to crack bones.

Scrambling!
-Maeve engages Orange Deserter Soldier.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 40/40   THP (11)   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (3d8+1)   Initiative: +4

[ ]Zombie Form I
				[-]Terror I (18+)
				[ ]Unholy Blast I
Skeletal Minion
HP 22/22 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Lilith and Lucius take 3 damage for failing to disengage from the Soldiers.

The deserters start to falter when they see their leader felled, but a sudden shout rings out from the edge of the battlefield. "If any of your bastards run, I'll gut you myself!" Laurence seems to have found his nerve again and now stands with his bow at the ready.

Ex-Corporal Petrine: Save vs Terror: 1d20 17

The two soldiers who were near the Ex-Sergeant as she fell seem less reassured. However, they can still muster the nerve to strike! One swings at Lilith, but Jormund's timely assistance saves her from taking the full brunt of the attack. The other shouts and strikes at Brianna, and manages to get in a good hit on her as she pulls her sword free from the fallen Ex-Sergeant's body.

Deserter Soldier Red: Army-Issue Sword @ Lilith: 1d20+7 15 Natural Even Miss: Lilith takes 2 damage.
Deserter Soldier Blue: Army-Issue Sword @ Brianna: 1d20+7 24 Brianna takes 8 damage.
Soldiers Red and Blue are Vulnerable until the end of Firgud's next turn.

Escalation Die is now 1
Initiative Order: Lucius, Maeve, and Jormund are up.

All enemies are considered to be Nearby. The dying dwarf is Nearby as well. Standing in (or pushing someone into) the fire deals 1d8 damage per round. You may attempt to do so as a quick action skill check against the enemy's PD+5.

quote:

Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine: 2nd Level Archer

quote:

Deserter Soldier x4: 2nd Level Troops (Soldier Red has 20 HP and is staggered. Soldier Blue has 25 HP. Blue and Red are both Vulnerable. The others are at full health.)

quote:

Deserter Archer x4: 2nd Level Mooks (One mook has 4 HP. Other three are at full health)
HP: 14 (46 total) | AC: 14 | PD: 11 | MD: 10

red plastic cup fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 11, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lucius Severus Malcus

With Maeve distracting his fumbling attacker, Lucius takes the opportunity to launch an opportunistic stab and disengage, and moves to harass another one of the archers.

Evasive strike VS AC 16: 1d20+6 18
Damage: 3d8+3+1d6 26

Moving to engage archer to my south. As before, roll with it half's damage from the first melee attack that hits me next round.

pre:
Lucius Severus Malcus

Stats		Powers			
HP 31/40 	{ }Roll With it	
AC 17		{ }Evasive strike	 	
PD 17		{ }Sure Cut	
MD 15		{ }Deflection
                { }Slick Feint
                { }Shadow Walk
Re 8/8 3d6+2				 
Momentum? = Yes

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Trying to focus their efforts, Jormund and Magnus continue their assault on the deserter soldier. While Magnus throws a punch that manages to miss, it distracts them long enough for Jormund - screaming a dwarven battle-cry - to suddenly lunge with his sword and sever their head straight from their shoulder! Jormund then turns to give Lilith a triumphant grin!

"See? Always remember to watch your flank - this daft fool put all his attention on Magnus, ignoring me!"

Magnus Attack, Damage; Jormund Attack, Damage: 1d20+7 10 2d6 7 1d20+7 27 3d8+7 16
That's one miss...and one crit! Meaning I so 32 damage, killing Deserter Red big time! I will continue to feed the wizard AC, so she keeps her +2.

pre:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

What Lucius sets up Maeve finishes, the crack of bone can be heard as her mace slams into the soldier's torso before he crumples to the ground. Turning to menace the group of archers, Rook's calm voice calls out from where he still 'stands' "The dwarf?"

Grumbling, Maeve turns and sprints past the archers to the side of the fallen dwarf, drops her mace and pulling a scrap of cotton from a bag, applying it to the dwarf's throat. "C'mon, no dyin' now. Don't give 'em the satisfaction!"

Meanwhile, Redmund relished the battle. Having the chance to fight once more felt good, better then good. The long stretch of time just following around the younger Stormlash listening to the Arccaster and High Shaman instruct the lass was, simply put, boring. Previously others had the honor of animating the lightly armored collection of bones to protect Maeve, but now. Now was his time, his chance to once more feel the thrill of battle, to crush his enemies, see them driven before him. Though he no longer felt the rush of adrenaline or the mad beating of his heart, Redmund's spirit laughed and whooped, the skull he borrowed matching his own movement in a menacing silent cackle as he hacked into the flesh of one of the bow wielding brigands, an act greeted by the shouts and cheers of the rest of his clan. This may not be living, but it was better than death.

Standard: Use Savage Lash on Orange Deserter Soldier
Savage Lash vs AC (@Orange Deserter Soldier): 1d20+11 28 3d8+1d12+3 24 And he's down.
Move: Move to the dying dwarf NPC
-Maeve takes 3 damage from Laurie
Minor: Apply bandages and pressure to the wound.
-Field Dressing (Stormlash Marauder + Int): 1d20+11 15 Well, if Int doesn't fly here, he's dead. Maeve's a marauder dammit, not a doctor!
Skeletal Minion
Standard: Attack Deserter Archer
-Melee Attack (@Deserter Archer Mook): 1d20+9 28 1d12 11 That's one mook down.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 40/40   THP (8)   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (3d8+1)   Initiative: +4

[-]Savage Lash                  [ ][ ]Savage Lash Daily
[-]Armored In Life              [ ]Summon Undead I
                                [ ]Zombie Form I
				[-]Terror I (18+)
				[ ]Unholy Blast I
Skeletal Minion
HP 14/22 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

The deserters numbers dwindle, but with the ruthless archer watching their backs, they fight on with desperation. One soldier attempts to take advantage of the skeleton's assault on the archer, but Redmund's cackling display unnerves the man into missing his attack.

Deserter Soldier: Army-Issue Sword @ Stormlash Skeleton: 1d20+7 14

The archers have similar luck. Lucius's nimble moves allow him to evade the clumsy swings of one deserter's mace. Another fires a flaming arrow at the Firgud, but his shot falls short and sinks harmlessly into the ground at the base of the dwarf's tree stump-seat. The remaining one tries to follow up with another shot, but Ex-Corporal Laurence talks him down. "Don't do that! It's a drat miracle we set the fort aflame with your awful shots!" Laurence points at Magnus's turned back. "Get in there while they're distracted!" Dropping his bow, the frightened archer rushes forth, his mace drawn. Luckily, Brianna rushes forth to protect her ally, the archer's mace bouncing harmlessly off her shield.

Deserter Archer: Army-Issue Mace @ Lucius: 1d20+5 10
Deserter Archer: Flaming Arrow @ Firgud: 1d20+6 8
Deserter Archer: Army-Issue Mace @ Magnus Brianna: 1d20+5 8

The Stormlash thrived in a hostile environment, and they couldn't have done that without learning how to take care of their own. As Maeve enters the flaming base camp, the dwarven spirits she'd called up from her earlier spell float over to her, as if drawn in by a magnet. They mutter vague, whispered words of encouragement as she kneels down and tries to staunch the flow of blood from the still-living soldier's throat. This close, she's able to tell that the fallen soldier is a woman, rather than a man. As the dwarf struggles weakly against her, Maeve is able to bandage the fallen soldier's throat. While she'll still need medical attention, the human's efforts have staved off her death for now, at least. Raising a shaking hand, the dwarf points at the flaming building to the south-east, muttering something that sounds like "Help".

Escalation Die is 1
Initiative Order: Brianna, Lilith, and Firgud are up.

All enemies are considered to be Nearby. Standing in (or pushing someone into) the fire deals 1d8 damage per round. You may attempt to do so as a quick action skill check against the enemy's PD+5.

quote:

Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine: 2nd Level Archer

quote:

Deserter Soldier x2: 2nd Level Troops (Soldier Blue has 25 HP and is Vulnerable. Soldier Green is at full health)

quote:

Deserter Archer x3: 2nd Level Mooks (One mook has 7 HP. Other two are at full health)
HP: 14 (35 total) | AC: 14 | PD: 11 | MD: 10

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

Lilith is a little hurt but largely unharmed, a fact which she credits to Firgud and the party's teamwork over any personal skill on her part. Scanning the battlefield, she evaluates Ex-Corporal Laurence as the greatest remaining threat. Her hands formed the mudras of Rearden's Irrational Restraints, clapping the archer in phantasmal chains, reducing his productivity and the threat he posed, as well as chilling him to the bone.

Voidmote (weaken on even): 1d20 10 Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine is weakened until the end of next turn. Halve voidmote spell damage.
Voidmote (damage): 2d3 6 3 cold damage.

pre:
Lilith Avorena
HP: 35/40   Recoveries: 8/8 (3d6+2)   Initiative: +3

Daily/Recharge
[ ]Shield (Recharge 11+)                  
[ ]Force Salvo         
[ ]Lightning Bolt
[ ][ ]Utility Spell             

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

As the bandit's mace recoils off her shield Brianna counters with a horizontal slash against his midsection and he keels over. With no enemies left in her immediate vicinity she takes a second to take stock of the situation. The Ex-Corporal seems to be the only one holding the remaining bandits together, he needed to be dealt with. They should try to take him alive if possible, his knowledge about the bandit force would be invaluable when it came to rooting them out.

With a sudden burst of speed she sets off towards Petrine. He lets loose an arrow that grazes her arm but she continues without missing a beat. An archer steps in between them to stop her advance, she responds by lowering her shoulder, going in for a tackle. With so much heavy steel in motion the archer does not stand a chance at slowing down the charging knight and she carries him with her for a few feet before pushing him off into the burning palisade. Distant gods, guide my hand if my path is just. With a well-aimed strike Brianna hits Petrine with her blade.

Deserter Archer missed me with an odd natural melee roll, counter-attack time!
Counter-Attack: 1d20+6+1 24 vs AC, hit! 3d8+3 17 Damage. Archer's dead.

Moving to engage Ex-Corporal Petrine but gets intercepted by the archer mook. Brianna takes 3 damage from Petrine's opportunistic shot.
Bull Rush! (Repentant Knight + Str): 1d20+5+3 28, Natural 20!
Bull rushing the intercepting archer into the fire near the ex-corporal.
Fire Damage: 1d8 7 Fire damage, another mook is toast. Ouch.
Smite Ex-Corporal Petrine: 1d20+6+1+4 19 vs AC, hit! 3d8+3+1d12 17 Damage. Those dice could've been a bit better.

Skilled Intercept: 1d20+2 15, Success. This roll is for the next round when the ED is +2. I don't think I'll actually use it though, I need to keep Petrine locked down. Ignore it for now.

pre:
Brianna Antinea

HP 31/50 	{X}[ ][ ][ ] Smite	Deadly Assault (Even hit)
Re 10/10 3d10+2				 

Passive Effects
Threatening: When an enemy attempts to disengage from me they take -2 to the check.
Counter-Attack: Once per round, when an enemy misses me with a natural odd melee attack roll,
		make a basic melee attack against that enemy as a free action.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Sockerbagarn posted:

3d8+3+1d12 17 Damage. Those dice could've been a bit better.
Say no more!

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud barely registers the flaming arrow that embedded itself in the ground next to him. He focuses on Lilith and Brianna taking the head off this serpent.
"Hold a moment Brianna, wait for the chill to really hit... now! Charge!"
It doesn't do as much as Firgud had hoped. They'd have to work on that. Still...
"We have them on the ropes! Don't let them regain advantage!"
Brianna grimaces and begins to hem in the Corporal. He wasn't going to catch her off guard!

Interrupt: Hit Harder for Brianna's Smite vs the Ex-Corporal, Hit Harder! Brianna's Smite: 1d8 3 1d8 3 1d12 2 man what are the odds. an additional 6 damage!
Battle Captain Interrupt; Rally Now! Brianna regains Rally Now! Brianna: 3d10+7 28 HP, hits full HP.

Firgud frowns to himself. Not that there wasn't a few more things they could do to bring this group together but... well this was a drat near ideal battle. Hell, only a few people had scratches on them. Which made Firgud nervous. Surely there was something he missed.

Weigh the Odds: 1d4 1
That's it :v:

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 40/40 (00)		[x]Battle Captain
PD 12			[x]BTS (11+)	
MD 18		
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+1)		Command Points: 4

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

The Ex-Corporal hisses with pain as Brianna's sword delivers a powerful blow that forces him to his knees, but he's not done yet. Wielding an arrow like a dagger, he lashes out at Brianna's sword-arm and manages to slip the point past her armor to bite into the flesh of her wrist. Twisting around, Petrine kicks off and dashes into the woods. He's still close enough to follow, but he won't be for much longer.

Ex-Corporal Petrine: Disengage: 1d20+3 15
Ex-Corporal Petrine: Unpredictable: 1d6 1

Realizing that he's surrounded by enemies and that his commanding officer just abandoned the field of battle, the remaining deserter soldier follows Petrine's example and starts booking it into the forest. In his haste, the soldier passes close enough to Jormund and Magnus, though whether they want to pursue him is another question. (Jormund has the option to intercept Deserter Soldier Blue before he dashes into the forest but no one else on this initiative count is close enough.)

Escalation Die is now 2
Initiative Order: Lucius, Maeve, and Jormund are up.

Ex-Corporal Petrine and Soldier Blue are now considered Far Away to everyone except Brianna. All other enemies are considered to be Nearby. Standing in (or pushing someone into) the fire deals 1d8 damage per round. You may attempt to do so as a quick action skill check against the enemy's PD+5.

quote:

Ex-Corporal Laurence Petrine: 2nd Level Archer (Weakened until the end of Lilith's next turn. Also Staggered.)
HP: 24/50 | AC: 15 11 | PD: 14 10 | MD: 10 6
Opportunistic Shot: When Petrine is not engaged, all nearby enemies take 3 damage every time they make a move action. (only applies to Brianna at the moment)

quote:

Deserter Soldier x2: 2nd Level Troops (Soldier Blue has 25 HP and is Vulnerable. Soldier Green is at full health)

quote:

Deserter Archer x1: 2nd Level Mooks
HP: 11/14 | AC: 14 | PD: 11 | MD: 10

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lucius Severus Malcus

Lucius pounded towards the last archer, but in his haste he overextends and only nicks the remaining archer, failing to finish him. Still, Lucius stops him from running, at least.

Evasive strike VS AC 14: 1d20+6 12
He takes 3 damage, and roll with it is still active if this guy actually manages to hit me
pre:
Stats		Powers			
HP 31/40 	{ }Roll With it	
AC 17		{ }Evasive strike	 	
PD 17		{ }Sure Cut	
MD 15		{ }Deflection
                { }Slick Feint
                { }Shadow Walk
Re 8/8 3d6+2				 
Momentum? = Yes

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2016

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Don't forget escalation, not that it'd help, but it might.

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud notes Lucius' approach and notices its not quite right. Well, easy enough to solve.
"Hey, you! Can't you hit a still target? Come on, can't you hit me?"
The archer's attention is drawn for half a second, which is long enough for Lucius to finish the poor fool off.

Try Again on Lucius, spending 2 extra CP to give a +4 bonus.
Lucius Try Again: 1d20+8+4 23 3d8+3 22 last Archer is dead.

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 40/40 (00)		[x]Battle Captain
PD 12			[x]BTS (11+)	
MD 18		
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+1)		Command Points: 0

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

Maeve looks to the rapidly ending fight, then to the building pointed out by the dwarf. Then once more, the fight in name only, the burning building. With a small sigh Maeve grabs her mace and charges towards the burning building.

With the last of the archers put down, Redmund whirls around to finally deliver payback to the soldier that struck him, the odd movements of the skeleton apparently throwing off the soldier attacking him as once more Redmund's ax bites deep into flesh.

Skeletal Minion
Standard: Attack Green Deserter Soldier
-Melee Attack (@Deserter Soldier Green): 1d20+11 19 1d12 11 Green Soldier takes a wallop
Maeve
I dunno, Maeve uses her entire turn to enter that pointed out building and help, here's a background check to kick in the door/make a new door.
-Dynamic Entry, aka "Oh YEAH!" (Stormlash Marauder + Str): 1d20+11 18 Not as impressive as I'd like.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 40/40   THP (8)   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (3d8+1)   Initiative: +4

[-]Savage Lash                  [ ][ ]Savage Lash Daily
[-]Armored In Life              [ ]Summon Undead I
                                [ ]Zombie Form I
				[-]Terror I (18+)
				[ ]Unholy Blast I
Skeletal Minion
HP 14/22 AC 19 PD 17 MD 13

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Oh no you don't - no running off after THIS mess, much less to harass us again in the future!"

In a blink, Jormund has beset the fleeing soldier, and, with a flashing blade, delivers a powerful blow, daring him to try and flee again!

"Magnus! Help that strange bone fellow out, won't you?"

The second dwarf nods and sprints behind the last solder, and with a sudden high pitched cry, tumbles next to him, draws his strength...and kicks him right in the shins. But like, REAL hard. Jormund mutters something about elves.

Magnus Attack, Damage; Jormund Attack, Damage: 1d20+9 25 2d6 4 1d20+9 19 3d8+4 19
Between Magnus' animal companion ability and the vulnerability, he does in fact crit Soldier Blue, doing 8 damage! Jormund will intercept, and deals his 19 to Soldier Green.

pre:

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Jormund easily overtakes the soldier and wrestles him to the ground. Wincing and bleeding, the deserter drops his sword and holds up his hands in surrender. "I give!" he shouts. The other soldier, caught off guard by Magnus's kick, crumples to the ground as Redmund finishes him off. With Laurence fleeing into the forest the battle concludes, leaving the party standing among the flaming base camp. As Magnus approaches to apprehend the surrendered soldier, Jormund feels his connection with the Queen of Magic flaring up, half-completed arcane knowledge of a particular sort of spell flooding into his mind. The spell pours from his mind to his fingertips, which begin gushing with magically-created water that's been summoned from some outside source. With a bit of direction, he's able to aim the spouts of water at the flaming gates, extinguishing the fires. The spell subsides before he's able to wash the water over the whole camp, and gate and the watchtower probably aren't salvageable, but at least they aren't burning any more. The large structure inside and several of the tents remain aflame, but with the rest of the party assisting, it shouldn't take long to stop the fire's spread.

This is Jormund's 6 with the Queen of Magic. Putting out the rest of the fire is easy enough that it doesn't require a roll, but I would like to see some interesting firefighting solutions.

Maeve kicks through the door of the burning building and enters what looks like combination between a mess hall and a storage shed. Broken chairs lay scattered about, along with busted barrels of supplies, and nearly everything is on fire. A long table has been upended, and someone's been tied to the bottom. The figure's limbs are tied to the table legs, leaving him helpless as the building burns around him. Luckily, Maeve is able to make quick work of the bindings and drag the heavy figure out of the building, where she discovers that he's an orc. He isn't wearing armor, which marks him as a civilian, and right now he's out cold with a pretty nasty-looking bump on his head. The dwarf that Maeve had saved earlier lets out a sigh of relief when she sees that the orc is still alive and stumbles to her feet, holding the bloody rags to her throat.

The storehouse is pretty much done for, but I'll allow someone to make a single background roll if you want to recover something.

The deserters have a varied assortment of poorly cared-for scraps of armor along with some shoddy-looking bows, swords, and maces. The archers were all carrying arrows that have their tips coated in a sticky, strong-smelling liquid. Lucius is able to determine that the liquid is venom from some unknown creature- when lit, it burns strong and steady without eating through the arrow shaft. This is what the deserters were using to set their arrows on fire. Ex-Sergeant Wells has an interesting-looking sword, and a quick search of that last fallen soldier reveals something of particular interest to Maeve.

Scouting through the corpses reveals the following:
-3 Vials of the Unknown Venom (when applied to a weapon as a quick action, successful hits deal 3 poison damage. Damage increases to 5 fire damage when lit as a second quick action.)
-3 Adventurer-Tier Healing Potions
-Peridian Officer's Sword (+1 to attacks. Martial, One-Handed): This saber is only given to decorated members of the Peridian Army. Once per battle as a quick action you may inspire your allies to attack or defend. Two allies you designate gain either +2 to their next melee attack or +2 AC. Benefits last until the end of your next turn.(16+ to recharge)
-Stormlash Medallion (+1 to saves when under 10 HP): This round disc is a cross section cut from a manticore's sting that's been painted with symbols Maeve can interpret to mean "strength" or "fortitude". When using Smite Evil/Savage Lash while staggered, the user may gain 20 temporary HP (11+ to recharge)

Brianna is left with a decision to make. Does she pursue Ex-Corporal Laurence in hopes that she can bring him to justice, or let him go to focus on helping the base camp? Chasing him through the clustered underbrush of the Glade will require a DC 20 skill check- if you fail, he gets away.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

Brianna sets off after Petrine but finds it hard to keep up with the lightly armored brigand as they race through the dense vegetation of the forest. She pushes herself as hard as she can but weighed down by her heavy plate armor she eventually finds herself out of breath and rapidly losing speed. "The gods know what you have done!" She yells after him as he disappears out of sight. "You can't escape your crimes no matter how fast you run, no one can. Tell your Captain to surrender willingly or prepare for defeat." She slows down to a stop and gasps for air, sheathes her blade and takes a large swig from her waterskin. With the battle over everything suddenly went quiet and she could feel the sweat on her back turn cold from the cool night air. She takes another long drink of water and begins slowly walking back to the base camp.

Give chase (Repentant Knight + Str): 1d20+5+3+3 16 vs DC 20, nope.
Assuming we're getting a short rest here, not taking any recoveries despite being down one whole hitpoint.
Added the sword to my combat block, unless anyone plans on taking it.

pre:
Brianna Antinea

HP 49/50 	{ }[ ][ ][ ] Smite	Deadly Assault (Even hit)
Re 9/10 3d10+2	[ ] Inspire (16+)			 

Peridian Officer's Sword and Shield +7 vs. AC — 3d8+4 Damage

Passive Effects
Counter-Attack: Once per round, when an enemy misses me with a natural odd melee attack roll,
		make a basic melee attack against that enemy as a free action.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud pipes up before people leave him behind.
"Lilith, just take me into the camp if you'd be so kind, I'd like a word with that survivor."

FIrgud gets put on a box nearby, where he turns to face the injured soldier and his half-orc friend.
"Easy soldier, you're in good hands now. Sit back, relax. We've won, and you made it. I mean, could be worse, right?"
Firgud winks and rocks to the side on his crate.
"First off, I'm not a product of blood loss delirium. Right Maeve? Just an undead fellow being dragged around." Maeve nods.
"But right now we need a debrief. How many casualties here? Have you faced this group before? And what were they after here."

Former General + CHA: 1d20+10 27 Report, soldier.
Recharge Scramble, BTS: 1d20 15 1d20 2. nuffin recharges

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
AC 17			[ ]Scramble (16+)
PD 12			[ ]BTS (11+)	
MD 18		
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+1)		Command Points: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

After finding a solid but dry box for Firgud to perch upon, Lilith sees Maeve rush into a burning building! Quickly she follows behind, and starts magically re-enforcing support struts and repairing the flaming roof before it caved in. It did nothing to address the fundamental problems with the building, but you could magically prop up just about anything as long as you pulled out before it completely collapsed and took you with it. As she trailed after Maeve, Lilith realized this was a storeroom, and automatically began cataloguing what she saw. Taking inventory in the event of fires, natural disasters, and bandit activity was critical if you wanted to be able to update your books in the aftermath. As Lilith dodged to the side to allow Maeve to run out with orc in tow, perhaps she noticed something relatively untouched?

Merchant Princess + Intelligence (Taking Inventory): 1d20+12 18

• Locked thread