Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

americans are disgusting

you get a pass but only because the dutch settled new york city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Motto posted:

that sounds awful tbh

kickstarter is a massive loving scam lmao dude

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I lived in LA for a while doing sound and editing stuff and all the conversations about the new golden age of television turned me very unpleasant

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

I lived in LA for a while doing sound and editing stuff and all the conversations about the new golden age of television turned me very unpleasant

i like how everything is ocnsidered "CINEMATIC" now because its all shot widescreen anamorphic even though its all basically just srs/two shots of people talking lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I think Orientalism is an interesting *in Zizek voice* ideology. People believe they have something to gain by setting themselves as the opposite of the other half of the world. So if the west is the bastion of feminism necessarily the Orient is not, seeking out any of the hosed up poo poo in the industry is just confirming what they already know. Doesn't really matter that Sazae-san, the longest running anime of all time, is about a feminist etc. What I'm trying to say is that Orientalism by Edward Said is a good book

I love the East and I believe it will save humanity from the horrid system that is liberal capitalistic "democracy"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY
lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Pretty much the only anime that ever air on TV where I live are Pokémon and toy tie-in stuff like Bakugan and Inazuma 11. When I was in high school occasionally things like Bobobo and Shaman King would make it over, but I don't think that kind of thing happens any more. So people don't really know what anime is and if you'd try to explain it to them they would probably just be thinking of kids shows. That said, there was never any moral crusade against anime out here (not even after someone went on a Death Note-inspired killing spree) so at least we've got that going for us.

Anecdotally, I remember one time I was eating lunch with some classmates in college and we ended up talking about anime for reasons I don't remember. One of them watched Naruto regularly and another one read up on Bleach from time to time. They were nice dudes, the rowdy sports-y type that I didn't expect to be into anime at all. Being able to talk about anime unabashedly with people I was acquainted with but not actually friends with was a nice experience.

So being an anime watcher out here isn't such a bad deal, because people are either neutral or positive about it (in my experience). That said I still keep it to myself most of the time because it's still a niche geek hobby that most people wouldn't care to hear about. :shobon:

allez een belg

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

the last american show i watched was 12 episodes of racist white girls being racist before half of them got killed

i liked scream queens too

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The reason why people still freaks out about anime is that anime is still a shameful thing for the people who watch it. Who knows why it's a source of shame. The only way to stop this is to be open and honest about your love of anime. Tell the world that you love Tatami Galaxy, with every word you're destroying a stigma.

Also, to all you talking about how superhero comics are popular now, you're wrong. Superheroes are popular, but comics aren't. If I walked up to a guy wearing a Captain America shirt and asked him what he thought about the new Ms. Marvel, he would be really confused.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually watched this again this weekend.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Most anime is not directly aimed towards an audience outside Japan, but for the diehard inland otakus who think very little of dropping 70 bucks on a three episode DVD regularly. They are the brick-and-mortar of what fuels their television animation as a nation for the most part, any other sales outside Japan are just the dessert after the main course.

All the bizarre, hosed up fanservice is what the hardcore inland fans want to see; their tastes get precedence over the rest of the world since they pay the lion's share of the money. It's a case of the minority share polluting the well for the majority of viewers, but since that minority actually end up paying the bulk of a studios paycheck (compared to the larger audience who, you know, stream/download illegally or just read the mangas online for free), it's the smaller group that dictates what gets pumped out on screen most of the time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

tbf, ainu and koreans are cool and should be in anime more

edit: also native okinawans

there's some shoujo thing where everyone has korean names, i can't remember what it is though. and the minority characters in fma are supposed to be ainu

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Radio Spiricom posted:

godard is one of my fav directors but i also love stuff like angst and nekromantik and own like 20 pinky violence dvds :grin:

Angst is win.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

tbf, ainu and koreans are cool and should be in anime more

edit: also native okinawans

Koreans are not cool at all.

Source: Me

icantfindaname posted:

there's some shoujo thing where everyone has korean names, i can't remember what it is though. and the minority characters in fma are supposed to be ainu

Are you sure you weren't just reading a Korean manhwa.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Are you sure you weren't just reading a Korean manhwa.

i assume he's talking about Akatsuki no Yona. also Golden Kamui is an amazing ongoing manga with tons of Ainu culture/an Ainu lead character.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Most anime is not directly aimed towards an audience outside Japan, but for the diehard inland otakus who think very little of dropping 70 bucks on a three episode DVD regularly. They are the brick-and-mortar of what fuels their television animation as a nation for the most part, any other sales outside Japan are just the dessert after the main course.

All the bizarre, hosed up fanservice is what the hardcore inland fans want to see; their tastes get precedence over the rest of the world since they pay the lion's share of the money. It's a case of the minority share polluting the well for the majority of viewers, but since that minority actually end up paying the bulk of a studios paycheck (compared to the larger audience who, you know, stream/download illegally or just read the mangas online for free), it's the smaller group that dictates what gets pumped out on screen most of the time.

while i think there is some truth to the fanservice/otaku angle (those groups are still a huge cash cow) i don't feel like there's enough actual fanservice anime coming out to act like that's the Major Thing in the industry. a majority of current series are simulcast legally and those same simulcast companies are starting to funnel money directly into shows and becoming producers. the industry as a whole still doesn't seem interested in catering to non-Japanese audiences (and that's great, i hope they don't for as long as possible), but there is a surprising and growing amount of (financial) support for anime and manga outside Japan. if it isn't already, the market for anime/manga outside Japan will be significant in bolstering its success.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah I'm reasonably sure anime works much like television does here. it goes on TV and makes money from the networks who in turn make their money from advertising and other sponsors. Merchandising helps a lot too, and I'm not talking about big otaku scale figures or what have you, I mean like, slapping an anime character's face on a can of Spaghetti-O's and calling it a day (i'm reasonably sure the anime people make money off that? there's a fine line between advertising and branding in that regard). Yes there are people who buy the big super expensive weeb merch but those people are not that numerous and most of what they pay is going to the cost of production and profit for the actual manufacturer making the product.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only difference there is that the anime committee or whatever buys the full timeslot of wherever they're airing. so advertisers aren't buying ad space, but the companies involved in production will put their own ads in for related products. merchandising is a very broad field though, you're right. little stuff like stationery and badges/pins/stickers are common, and you've even got things like fish sausages branded after whatever toku shows are currently airing.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Davincie posted:

americans are disgusting

everyone, everywhere is disgusting

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's curry for every show. its just normal curry, with a picture on the cover

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

there's curry for every show. its just normal curry, with a picture on the cover

the Girls und Panzer tank models that are just tanks, not even with miniatures of the girls

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Uhm, I'll have you know there's nothing normal about curry with my waifu on the cover. It objectively taste 5900% better than regular curry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the Girls und Panzer tank models that are just tanks, not even with miniatures of the girls

really low quality ones too, and they still include the normal guy figures you get with normal model tanks lol

• Locked thread