Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty much this. You can avoid the cars that have funky physics (the radical sr3 drives faster on wets than on slicks, and other silly things like that), and drive the cars that are fun, and enjoy the excellent graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Project Cars is gorgeous, especially next to iRacing, and sometimes it's nice to play games that are gorgeous. Also, the Gumpert Apollo is fun as hell.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, definitely! I did my first autumn laps on Nords during a sundown yesterday and the visuals where stunning. (no idea why I haven't played Pcars2 in the autumn before)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My main complaint about PC2 was that the karts that the game starts you off with in career are uncontrollable disasters that made me spend hours trying to tweak my wheel, FFB, and all sorts of other poo poo before I happened to just randomly try another car and realized that the karts are a loving mess in that game.

The weather effects are really good though.

I still don't play it really anymore, although I'm mostly just doing rally stuff and ACC now. I'd recommend it if it's cheap.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There are a lot of cars in P Cars 2 which are just absolute poo poo to dive, like they stopped putting physics in for reasons at some point.
But find a good car and it rocks, it takes time to tease out good combos, but they are in there

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

There are a lot of cars in P Cars 2 which are just absolute poo poo to dive, like they stopped putting physics in for reasons at some point.
But find a good car and it rocks, it takes time to tease out good combos, but they are in there

Yeah. The FFB still feels somewhat "floaty" to me, on both my old TS-XW and my current Simucube 2, but it's a game that's pretty and can be fun. I would recommend not trying to take it too seriously in general and just have fun with it sometimes. It really can be very pretty.

I'm hoping AMS2, which is using the same engine, gets their poo poo together and makes basically what I wish PC3 had turned out to be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

shortspecialbus posted:

I would recommend not trying to take it too seriously

That was the key for me to enjoying it, will it ever be my go to sim? No fuckin way, but as something to load up and have fun in now and then it's always installed and ready to go :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shortspecialbus posted:

My main complaint about PC2 was that the karts that the game starts you off with in career are uncontrollable disasters that made me spend hours trying to tweak my wheel, FFB, and all sorts of other poo poo before I happened to just randomly try another car and realized that the karts are a loving mess in that game.

The weather effects are really good though.

I still don't play it really anymore, although I'm mostly just doing rally stuff and ACC now. I'd recommend it if it's cheap.

You get to pick where you start in career. I've never done karts and I've done a dozen PCars2 careers.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, do the happy cars (ginetta). They rock!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Right, I have since learned that, but at the time I thought something was wrong with my wheel or FFB is all.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ginettas are great, as are the Formula Rookie (irl Formula Ford) cars. Avoid the low level prototypes, and probably avoid the group C's as well in career because going from a radical to a Porsche 962 is about the most brutal step up in difficulty I can think of. The GT tree is pretty good, as are the upper levels of prototypes, sadly the open wheelers aren't that great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I actually quite rate the Formula C, and think the GTs are rear end.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

shortspecialbus posted:

Right, I have since learned that, but at the time I thought something was wrong with my wheel or FFB is all.

I dug out my Logitch G25 for karts and it was really good, it clatters and clanks and rattles and really suits karts :v:

Ginetta at Bathurst is a good combo

I also liked the open wheelers oddly, but mainly for the awesome views in VR

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

G29 is in stock and seems to be lower priced than normal.
Not a bad wheel for someone looking to be a starterman

232 on Amazon.. I think I paid like 269-299 for mine a few years ago
249 for the G920

https://amzn.to/2TKYd4p

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well, I can hang up my HANS device now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NICE!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

Well, I can hang up my HANS device now.

Niiiiice

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Errr, is that some kinda leaderboard?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Errr, is that some kinda leaderboard?

Not really it's a screenshot from WRC9. It's just 420:69.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I had to look that up. (Old and not American.)

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Are there any games that do karts well? I’ve been watching Super GT do irl kart races on YouTube and it looks fun.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
no.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Dang :(

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Kartcraft is the closest, apparently, but karting is very much a butt-feedback experience and that makes it hard to simulate

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Karting is such a physical sport that I don't think there's any way to simulate it. The steering is very heavy with a kart, and you'd need a a direct drive wheel for something like that. Plus the aforementioned butt feel. If you try to do sim karting, you'll just end up accidentally putting in too much steering input.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
G25 and a buttkicker is the closest I got, in P Cars 2 or all places :psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’ve yet to find a game where karts weren’t at least fun though, even if it’s not a decent replication of the real thing. My issue with Pcars’s karts is more down to it throwing you right into the shifter karts so it loses the slow shitbox funtimes I like.

Also the next big AMS2 update is apparently out tomorrow, GT3 and GT4 cars being added in alongside the Nurburgring DLC. Though only the GP circuit with the Nordschleife due to be added next week.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The karts aren’t realistic in pcars 2 but I still think they’re good fun. Karts are hard. People still ask for it on iracing and it still ain’t happening.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pcars2 ditched the shifter karts, the only kart is a single speed one. I was overwhelmed trying the superkarts in Pcars1, they're insane for a beginner like where they put them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Superkarts are deceptively named because you think at first oh these are faster karts then realise no these are a Formula 3 car with less bodywork and more drifting.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
F1 fans - how is the AI in F1 2020? I'm enjoying F1 2019 a lot but the AI is extremely boring, the only mistakes I ever see are a bit of a lockup and it's a bit annoying knowing that the car in front of you is never going to run wide or wobble coming out of a corner. I'll deal with it and not flash back when I get nudged off on turn 1 but the AI make it through flawlessly every time. Even worse, I've just raced in Austria in the most horrendous conditions where the margin between being really slow out of a turn and nearly ending up facing backwards was razor thin. The AI drivers just continued on the racing line, on rails. Admittedly, I'm on a low difficulty because I play with the assists off but I'd argue that should make errors more frequent. I've never even seen the safety car!

I've heard that the AI in F1 2020 will make more fuckups but I've only seen videos of stupid poo poo like slamming into a wall when opening DRS. I just want something like Bottas did to let Verstappen pass on Sunday or the occasional Albonesque spin.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 3, 2020

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone here play Assetto Corsa in VR? If so, how are you dealing with menus? Just map a key to escape and keeping the mouse handy or is there some better way? Also it seems like after some events, the camera automatically snaps to behind the car, which isn't great because the pause menu overlay gets projected to the driver's view and the change view toggle gets disabled.

Is there some sort of recommended setup for this?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone here play Assetto Corsa in VR? If so, how are you dealing with menus? Just map a key to escape and keeping the mouse handy or is there some better way? Also it seems like after some events, the camera automatically snaps to behind the car, which isn't great because the pause menu overlay gets projected to the driver's view and the change view toggle gets disabled.

I have escape / pause mapped to buttons, and I also have a button mapped to recenter the HMD so if it moves around I can click it and see.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

im pretty new to having a racing wheel and i was doing just awful in dirt rally 2.0 but then i put on my vr headset and it was like night and day. crazy how much the immersion helps

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Plank Walker posted:

There is a 3rd party replacement launcher for the game called content manager that is much better, especially if you use any mods. I would highly recommend launching the game with that instead of using the stock launcher. It still isn’t VR, but it works better in a virtual desktop environment and you only need to use it between races. As for the in-game menu I have a keyboard with a laptop style track-pad near my driving rig and I use that for navigating the menus.

I also have never experienced the camera switching to behind the car, that’s weird.

I do bind a “recenter HMD” button to the wheel to fix the camera angle if it’s off. Also there is a built in app called “onboard settings” to fix your head position in the car, some cars have the camera placed in really weird spots in the cockpit and this can fix that either manually or automatically.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Plank Walker posted:

It's been a while since I set up my controls but I think it defaults to holding down look left and look right together to re centre VR.
I use Content Manager and a wireless mini keyboard with trackpad built in, it works well as my wheel is not next to my monitor

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jenny Agutter posted:

im pretty new to having a racing wheel and i was doing just awful in dirt rally 2.0 but then i put on my vr headset and it was like night and day. crazy how much the immersion helps

It's probably because VR automatically gives you the correct FoV.

/runs for the hills

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*Straps LED lights to my baseball cap* :actually:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

It's been a while since I set up my controls but I think it defaults to holding down look left and look right together to re centre VR.
I use Content Manager and a wireless mini keyboard with trackpad built in, it works well as my wheel is not next to my monitor

Had been using an xbox one controller while waiting for my wheel to arrive, and I guess the way windows handles an xbox one controller's inputs differs from a generic controller. Content manager let me set the controls to the buttons, but they didn't actually do anything in game. Works fine with the wheel's buttons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

take-two buying codemasters. expect the level of microtransactions in F1 to become breathtaking