Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still on the hunt for a Fanatec wheel base, and steering wheel. Right now I am looking at these two options:

Base: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-v1.1
Wheel: https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-v2

Thoughts? I have the Fanatec peddles, is there anything else I would need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Still on the hunt for a Fanatec wheel base, and steering wheel. Right now I am looking at these two options:

Base: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-v1.1

That looks good and yes they're compatible. I have the wheelbase, it's great.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

I said come in! posted:

Those (along with the CSL loadcell pedals) are exactly what I have on the way. There's been some turbulence with Fanatec's support and communication, I preordered the wheel in December and there were conflicting reports from Fanatec themselves about whether there were stock and shipping delays. But thankfully that seems to have been sorted out by now and they're set to be delivered later this week.

Taborcarn fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 25, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Unless there is something really negative about the 1.1 wheel base, i'll be ordering that once the Elite McLaren GT3 wheel is available. I am going with this one for the price, and that I can clamp it to my desk.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have the 1.1 wb and like it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have it and it's a good base. I can't imagine wanting more power in my ffb.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

May I also suggest, the GT Omega Apex wheelstand?
https://www.gtomega.com/products/apex-steering-wheel-stand

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fanatec shipping seems to be getting better. Ordered on the 8th and everything arrived yesterday (25th). When I ordered one was marked out of stock until the 29th and another until the 16th. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet but I did take everything out of the box and looked it over, certainly looks like a massive upgrade to my g27.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I decided differently on what I wanted. Beep boop ordered.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I decided differently on what I wanted. Beep boop ordered.

Nice! I plan on picking up that wheel sometime later this year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I want the formula v2 wheel for all the new buttons but I have the v1 and its not worth the money just to upgrade

I really need to get around to building a button box

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I want a csl but just can't ever pull the trigger. I need less hobbies. I dropped $400 on brewing poo poo in like 3 weeks time but just can't bring myself to put up the $500 for a wheel. Some day I will. Maybe I'll get one for myself from my bonus this year. Maybe because I just don't seem to find time to do iRacing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Zaphod42 posted:

I want the formula v2 wheel for all the new buttons but I have the v1 and its not worth the money just to upgrade

I really need to get around to building a button box

Unless you want/need a "real" button box (for the haptic immersion or VR) I solved all my button needs for forever with an Elgato. It's a bit pricey for sure but very versatile, I've been using it for other games as well.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 27, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If you're doing vr it won't help much.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I think I saw a post somewhere recommending a $10 usb numeric keypad, and slapping some stickers on the keys. Feel like that would work ok with VR as well as be a lot cheaper.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Fanatec order got updated with a tracking number last night. Now hoping FedEX picks it up today. The delivery is suppose to be this Saturday, I sincerely doubt that is going to happen though since its coming from California, to Seattle and this is FedEX.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Unless you want/need a "real" button box (for the haptic immersion or VR) I solved all my button needs for forever with an Elgato. It's a bit pricey for sure but very versatile, I've been using it for other games as well.

Elgato Stream Deck is cool! If someone would like a cheaper alternative, they do an iOS/Android app as well that is $25 a year.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

speaking of fanatec I heard they're coming up with lower cost wheels and bases for PS5.. is there any other news on this, will it work with PC? any idea for costs?
I keep tyrign to pull the $500 trigger for CSL but keep wavering... esepcially since the base wheel isn't avaliable currently so I'd have ot up to the WRC for 30 more

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The WRC wheel is significantly better with the new modular quick release, nicer buttons, and removable paddles if you want the fixed paddles for rally poo poo. It's with it over the base CSL rim IMO

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
So I'm paying this forward since House of the Dad did the same for me.

I have a 3-month subscription code to iRacing if anyone wants, just reply. New accounts only.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I said come in! posted:

Elgato Stream Deck is cool! If someone would like a cheaper alternative, they do an iOS/Android app as well that is $25 a year.
Look into Stream Puppy. You have to run a companion app on the computer, but it works well.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Taborcarn posted:

So I'm paying this forward since House of the Dad did the same for me.

I have a 3-month subscription code to iRacing if anyone wants, just reply. New accounts only.

I’ve been looking into trying iRacing recently (I’ve been posting in the new thread trying to figure out if the game is right for me) so having a little trial to try things out would be rad.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

V for Vegans posted:

I’ve been looking into trying iRacing recently (I’ve been posting in the new thread trying to figure out if the game is right for me) so having a little trial to try things out would be rad.

Sure no problem, I just sent you a PM.

Also if you haven't checked it out, here's the new dedicated iRacing thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957190

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FedEX picked up my wheel from Fanatec, i'll get it on Tuesday if all goes well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I said come in! posted:

FedEX picked up my wheel from Fanatec, i'll get it on Tuesday if all goes well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ABjs0dFD8

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alright Goons time for questions (maybe better in the SHSC thread somewhere but it's racing related). It's "give tater a little reward for his hard work this year" time. Eventually I'm going to get back into PC sim racing and iRacing, on the other and my PC is also used for non racing gaming a majority of the time.

My budget has 2 options, I was going to upgrade my GPU from a 1070 but L O L that's not happening.

1: 1440P Monitor(2) (in budget category of like 75hz or so) Currently using some 24" 1080p monitors. This will NOT impact racing as I use VR
2: Upgrade my wheel from it's current G920 to a Fanatec CSL elite with WRC or Standard wheel (For the 50 bux it seems like the WRC is worth it)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 29, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Upgrade your wheel instead, that will be the better option overall in my opinion. Since you're doing VR, save up your money for when you can eventually buy a RTX 3080, you'll still need it even for iRacing, that sim is pretty system demanding in VR. Even on my RTX 2070, I have to turn a lot of settings down or just off altogether in VR. It's still a superior experience though and completely worth it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Upgrade your wheel instead, that will be the better option overall in my opinion. Since you're doing VR, save up your money for when you can eventually buy a RTX 3080, you'll still need it even for iRacing, that sim is pretty system demanding in VR. Even on my RTX 2070, I have to turn a lot of settings down or just off altogether in VR. It's still a superior experience though and completely worth it.

I was shooting for a 3070. I've found that my bottleneck was my CPU for iRaing honestly. I went from an intel 6600 to an AMD 3600 and ended up being able to pretty much turn on way more stuff and still get decent framerates at most tracks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I was shooting for a 3070. I've found that my bottleneck was my CPU for iRaing honestly. I went from an intel 6600 to an AMD 3600 and ended up being able to pretty much turn on way more stuff and still get decent framerates at most tracks.

Nice! It might also depend on your VR. I use the Reverb G2 and it at least comes close to rendering 4K but it does it in 2 lenses, so the system requirements for it are steep as gently caress.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Nice! It might also depend on your VR. I use the Reverb G2 and it at least comes close to rendering 4K but it does it in 2 lenses, so the system requirements for it are steep as gently caress.

I'm using a Lenovo WMR one which is 2880x1440 (I think the 2880 is total not each panel but don't remember)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Dan Suzuki did a lot of reviews about the best cards/hardware for iRacing in VR and not VR a while back. Didn't it turn out that even without SPS the Ryzen 5s were better for VR users?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Unless you've manually reduced the rendering quality in SteamVR, it actually is rendering roughly 4K pixel counts per eye to account for distortion of the image. To steal and tweak my recent post in the VR thread:

By default, the rendering resolution with every headset is much higher than the resolution of the panels. "100%" rendering resolution in SteamVR, for example, automatically applies 1.4 supersampling (i.e. 40% increased resolution). You can look up technical explanations of barrel distortion, but basically your system renders a larger image and then fucks with it to make the center of your view display at the intended resolution, cramming in more pixels to offset the distortion of the lenses.

For example, using the Valve Index, in order to see a clean 2880x1600 image (1440x1600 per eye), the PC has to render 4032x2240 (2016x2240 per eye), so a 40% higher resolution, which roughly doubles the pixel count (2880x1440 = 4.6MM pixels, whereas 4032x2240 = 9MM pixels). For reference, a standard 4K monitor displays about 8MM pixels.

If I manually set SteamVR rendering to 1440x1600 per eye (as a lot of people do under the mistaken impression that the higher rendering resolution is a bug), then it'll look noticeably worse in the center of my view (where I typically look), as the center effectively won't display as the correct resolution, which is why the baseline supersampling is necessary. The Index isn't alone in this; every headset, including the old Rift and Vive, has done this by default (in SteamVR at least). It's one of the technical quirks of VR rendering.

This is why VR games are so much more demanding than people would think by looking at the panel resolution: the rendering resolutions for the Index and Vive Pro are higher than a 4K monitor, despite lower total panel resolution than a 4K monitor. Assuming the G2 uses the same baseline 1.4 supersampling as other headsets in SteamVR, you're looking at 6048x3024 (3024x3024 per eye) something like 18MM pixels at 100% SteamVR rendering, roughly double that of a 4K monitor. :pcgaming:

I don't have a G2, but there are some folks in the VR thread saying that you can reduce the rendering quality in Steam by quite a ways and still get a clean image, so maybe try that if you're having performance issues. Slash it down to like 75% and see if it looks notably worse, and go up or down from there.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 29, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tater_salad posted:

Alright Goons time for questions (maybe better in the SHSC thread somewhere but it's racing related). It's "give tater a little reward for his hard work this year" time. Eventually I'm going to get back into PC sim racing and iRacing, on the other and my PC is also used for non racing gaming a majority of the time.

My budget has 2 options, I was going to upgrade my GPU from a 1070 but L O L that's not happening.

1: 1440P Monitor(2) (in budget category of like 75hz or so) Currently using some 24" 1080p monitors. This will NOT impact racing as I use VR
2: Upgrade my wheel from it's current G920 to a Fanatec CSL elite with WRC or Standard wheel (For the 50 bux it seems like the WRC is worth it)

Do you have Gsync/Freesync?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have Gsync/Freesync?

NVidia 1070 supports Gsync (and some freesync stuff depending on monitor I think).
Generally As I understand Gsync is $$ compared to Freesync

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tater_salad posted:

NVidia 1070 supports Gsync (and some freesync stuff depending on monitor I think).
Generally As I understand freesync is $$ compared to Gsync

You need your monitor and graphics card to both support it. Generally nvidia is gsync and AMD is freesync.

You also need to switch from HDMI to display port. But if you can, its suuuuuper worth it. If you're considering buying a new monitor I wouldn't buy one without it, seriously.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I use a 144hz Freesync monitor that is "GSYNC Compatible" (so either AMD or Nvidia cards are fine) and god drat does Monster Hunter look silky smooth now. It was a wonderful upgrade from my old 60hz monitor.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You need your monitor and graphics card to both support it. Generally nvidia is gsync and AMD is freesync.

You also need to switch from HDMI to display port. But if you can, its suuuuuper worth it. If you're considering buying a new monitor I wouldn't buy one without it, seriously.

Yeah which is why I keep leaning more towards wheel.
Monitors are going to cost me 700-1,000 if I go with "totally worth it on 2 monitors. I'd be looking at 1440 27" monitors with Gsync which are like 350/screen. Otherewise I'd have a 1080 and 1440 monitor and that doesn't seem like a real good move.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Otherewise I'd have a 1080 and 1440 monitor and that doesn't seem like a real good move.

I run this exact setup and have no issues FWIW. One is even freesync and the other is 60hz HDMI sync, and still no issues.

But I would say probably get the wheel anyways :evilbuddy:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I run this exact setup and have no issues FWIW. One is even freesync and the other is 60hz HDMI sync, and still no issues.

But I would say probably get the wheel anyways :evilbuddy:

Hmmmm.. I figured it'd kind of be a pain in the rear end and visually displeasing. I mean realistically I dont need 1440p for discord / websites.
Food for thought, I guess i'll noodle it a little bit since 1440p gaming would improve all my games while wheel would only be improving my iracing/trucksimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
I run a 1440p main screen and then a 1080p secondary rotated into portrait, it's great.