Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's nice of him to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
McConnell is a class act.

edit

In other news, Brownback appears to be a big Dead Kennedys fan.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/kansas-gov-sam-brownback-cut-45-million-public-school-funding

quote:

Kansas Republican Gov. Sam Brownback’s aggressive tax cuts have come back to haunt him. In the latest move to make up for a massive state deficit caused by his economic policy, Brownback plans to cut nearly $45 million in funding for public schools and higher education in his state by March.

Brownback shared his plans for the current budget cycle on Thursday ahead of a Senate vote on a bill aimed at eradicating a $344 million deficit projected for the end of June. More than half of the money would be taken from funding for K-12 schools, and take place as soon as March 7, The Associated Press reported. The cut would also affect Kansas colleges and universities. Top Republicans said lawmakers need to agree on a solution to fix the budget by Feb. 13 to make sure the state pays its bills on time through the summer months.

Brownback spent his first term slashing taxes for the rich, promising it would lead to boom times for everyone else. Brownback’s “real live experiment” was supposed to lift Kansas out of the recession and into economic prosperity. The tax breaks instead led to debt downgrades, weak growth, and left the state finances in shambles. The Republican-led legislature in his state previously celebrated his massive tax cuts, but his action landed the state’s budget in shambles when it didn’t boost the economy like he’d hoped.

Keep going Sam, you'll realize Reagan's dream once all the poor are too dead to need state assistance!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 9, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
As I recall, didn't the Kansas Supreme Court say cutting schools was unconstitutional the last time he did it?
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/3/7/kansas-supreme-courtrulesschoolfundinglevelsunconstitutional.html

yeeep, yep it was.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Warcabbit posted:

As I recall, didn't the Kansas Supreme Court say cutting schools was unconstitutional the last time he did it?
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/3/7/kansas-supreme-courtrulesschoolfundinglevelsunconstitutional.html

yeeep, yep it was.

"The Kansas Supreme Court has made their decision. Now let them enforce it." --Sam Brownback, probably

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile in Michigan.

What I really need is a bunch of old white prudes telling me what kind of sex I can have.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 9, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

reposting in the hopes it can get more discussion, the US water system is in deep, poo poo with multiple cities having Flint-level badness in their pipes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/us/regulatory-gaps-leave-unsafe-lead-levels-in-water-nationwide.html

Do those multiple cities skimp on anti-corrosive additives in their water because it saves $100 a month as well?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Reason posted:

Meanwhile in Michigan.

What I really need is a bunch of old white prudes telling me what kind of sex I can have.

Odd imperative for a government currently engaged in loving its poor black residents up the rear end.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Reason posted:

Meanwhile in Michigan.

It was explained in the original uspol thread, that law is already on the books, he is just updating it to increase the penalty for bestiality and the politician behind it knows people will fight if he tries to remove the unconstitutional sodomy part so by leaving it alone he can get the changes he wants.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Texas must accept Syrian refugees.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm sure this will be handled rationally and empathetically by all the great communities of Texas.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

quote:

Somewhat ironically, Texas, perhaps the reddest of red states, asks a federal court to stick its judicial nose into this political morass, where it does not belong absent statuary authorization.
This guy gets it.

While it's certainly a legal win because gently caress those guys for even trying, seriously, I almost wonder if it's a humanitarian loss. I can absolutely see some rear end in a top hat looking to firm up his conservative cred having pictures, names, addresses and such of these people splashed on a page somewhere and we'll have some freedom fighter unfortunate mentally ill individual who I in no way had anything to do with encouraging stalking, harassing or even straight up attacking them in a completely unforeseen, terrible incident that nobody could have seen coming oh dear how sad for those immigrants tut tut.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It's Krugman.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GalacticAcid posted:

It's Krugman.

It looks like he wandered away from home and somehow ended up in a Planet Fitness.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Reason posted:

Meanwhile in Michigan.

If I hear one person say "both parties are the same" in person one more time I swear to god I'll break their jaw.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lol Rubio did it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBX0Z1MkDyQ

He's rattled.

Also gently caress him for the sentiment he's poorly expressing here.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

yeeep, yep it was.

Why does Sam Brownback have an attendance problem? Quit cutting class ya punk

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Bloomberg dismisses your objections and insists that the possibility of a President Bloomberg is real.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Makes me want to buy a water testing kit just to see what's up, even though I don't live anywhere near the cities listed in that infrastructure article.

It's so incredibly frustrating to see all this infrastructure neglect, especially considering how many people are unemployed currently. There is more than enough meaningful work to go around; the only issue is convincing people that it's worth paying for.

Didn't we build most of the infrastructure in this country within the last 100 years? I mean, how did we go from "gently caress yeah, let's build lots of cool poo poo" to "who cares, let it rot" within the living memory of some people who are still making our laws?

Edit: rhetorical question, I know the answer is "a combination of stupidity and greed, mostly greed", but still. It really pisses me off.

Edit 2: vvvvvvv what I said above in the first edit, I guess, but you display more brevity and eloquence :v:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 9, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Didn't we build most of the infrastructure in this country within the last 100 years? I mean, how did we go from "gently caress yeah, let's build lots of cool poo poo" to "who cares, let it rot" within the living memory of some people who are still making our laws?

Reagan.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In other news, Republicans are beginning to call for (a) Ken Starr to return to Capital Hill.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

He literally is the worst of both parties combined. He wants to give a big old handjob to corps while also wanting to take away guns.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zarin posted:

Makes me want to buy a water testing kit just to see what's up, even though I don't live anywhere near the cities listed in that infrastructure article.

It's so incredibly frustrating to see all this infrastructure neglect, especially considering how many people are unemployed currently. There is more than enough meaningful work to go around; the only issue is convincing people that it's worth paying for.

Edit: rhetorical question, I know the answer is "a combination of stupidity and greed, mostly greed", but still. It really pisses me off.

Edit 2: vvvvvvv what I said above in the first edit, I guess, but you display more brevity and more eloquence.

Here's a thing to keep in mind: there's lots of places where infrastructure isn't really being neglected, and also a lot of place where infrastructure has been skimped on for over a hundred years straight.

And then there's cases where certain forms of infrastructure are deliberately skimped on in order to focus on others - New Jersey insists on refusing to expand or do much servicing on large amount of I-80 as part of a deliberate plan to encourage development to not spread too far from NYC, and uses money that would otherwise go towards building said expansions and ongoing maintain it to instead fund public transit.

And like, a lot of the time wide swathes of land only got major infrastructure put in because it was needed to connect places that cared about infrastructure to each other, so the only thing that gets good maintenance is that interstate, or higher-spec surface highway, etc. Or things like how a town got a sewer and town water system put in as a result of a WPA make-work program in the 30s, and people have kinda just patchworked along with it to keep it to the barest minimum standard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I for one welcome a House Permanent Subcommittee on Those drat Emails.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

He literally is the worst of both parties combined. He wants to give a big old handjob to corps while also wanting to take away guns.

taking away guns is cool though

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Zarin posted:

I'm in Cleveland. Gonna see about buying a kit in a day or two.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

to be fair, if you're white and at least middle class you'll probably be better off than before

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Zarin posted:

There is honestly no way something like the Federal Interstate bill could go through today. I doubt we could even get ESEA passed today. Turns out trickle down didn't actually work and the GOP was turned insane by the trifecta of losing to Clinton, 9/11 and Bush fumbling so badly that they saw Obama as a generational shift, thus ending their relevancy (leading to their insistence of doubling down to the fringe). All of that has made people not want to spend a penny on anything because IF I'M BROKE SO IS THE GOVERNMENT. I have a feeling if the Middle Class was a lot larger a lot of these things wouldn't be an issue.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol Rubio did it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBX0Z1MkDyQ

He's rattled.

Also gently caress him for the sentiment he's poorly expressing here.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/623502913860698112

"...ly sinful and I'm going to picket this filth they're ramming down our throats"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Remember that the lead manufacturers of ye olde times lobbied their asses off convincing people lead was no biggy. They were on par or worse than climate denial today.

It's a drat shame since lead literally makes you stupid. Like worse than 10hr/d Fox News stupid.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CortezFantastic posted:

There is honestly no way something like the Federal Interstate bill could go through today. I doubt we could even get ESEA passed today. Turns out trickle down didn't actually work and the GOP was turned insane by the trifecta of losing to Clinton, 9/11 and Bush fumbling so badly that they saw Obama as a generational shift, thus ending their relevancy (leading to their insistence of doubling down to the fringe). All of that has made people not want to spend a penny on anything because IF I'M BROKE SO IS THE GOVERNMENT. I have a feeling if the Middle Class was a lot larger a lot of these things wouldn't be an issue.

Trump is popular for a reason and it's not because finance guys say guys like him are creating jobs. The government has failed to prevent structural unemployment in rural, less-educated communities and Trump is reaping the whirlwind.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"The Kansas Supreme Court has made their decision. Now let them enforce it." --Sam Brownback, probably

Oh he did better than that. He threatened to defund the court itself which is a plan so crazy you'd think it was an off-the-cuff comment from Paul LePage.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ErIog posted:

Oh he did better than that. He threatened to defund the court itself which is a plan so crazy you'd think it was an off-the-cuff comment from Paul LePage.

Speaking of which, following a December ruling in Solomon v. Kansas that again ruled the law in question unconstitutional, the injunction against defunding Kansas's courts expires March 15. A case seeking to declare the non-severability of funding clause unconstitutional, Fairchild v. Kansas, is still pending. Kansas has moved to dismiss or at least stay the case until the courts are officially defunded.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

DemeaninDemon posted:

Remember that the lead manufacturers of ye olde times lobbied their asses off convincing people lead was no biggy. They were on par or worse than climate denial today.

It's a drat shame since lead literally makes you stupid. Like worse than 10hr/d Fox News stupid.

If you consider that all the lead in the gasoline most likely ended up in the air, floating around all the cities and suburbs of this country in small little trace amounts, slowly accumulating more and more over a lifetime, it sort of explains the general economic and social violence and insanity in this country. Like the lead in the pipes of the Roman aqueducts slowly poisoning the empire.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

fishmech posted:

And like, a lot of the time wide swathes of land only got major infrastructure put in because it was needed to connect places that cared about infrastructure to each other, so the only thing that gets good maintenance is that interstate, or higher-spec surface highway, etc. Or things like how a town got a sewer and town water system put in as a result of a WPA make-work program in the 30s, and people have kinda just patchworked along with it to keep it to the barest minimum standard.

Yeah. Every time I read about the WPA, I really wish it had been mothballed, rather than dismantled. I don't know if everyone back then just assumed we would be so totally super-enlightened after we won World War II that we wouldn't need it anymore, but ever since then, history seems to keep reminding us that everything is cyclical. We really could use something like that to keep everything moving forward in the down cycles.

CortezFantastic posted:

I have a feeling if the Middle Class was a lot larger a lot of these things wouldn't be an issue.

I think this is probably true, for a host of different reasons. Probably enough to write a book on.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I almost hope a Republican wins in 2016, what with the way the Obama economy has been heading as of late.

At least that way, a good pathway will be open for the Democratic party to seize upon an FDR-esque individual as its standard bearer.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Greatbacon posted:

If you consider that all the lead in the gasoline most likely ended up in the air, floating around all the cities and suburbs of this country in small little trace amounts, slowly accumulating more and more over a lifetime, it sort of explains the general economic and social violence and insanity in this country. Like the lead in the pipes of the Roman aqueducts slowly poisoning the empire.

Some people attribute our across-the-board decreases in violent crime to us dropping leaded gasoline, fwiw. It's a compelling case.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ErIog posted:

Speaking of, today Brownback backed down and repealed the defunding law.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

I almost hope a Republican wins in 2016, what with the way the Obama economy has been heading as of late.

At least that way, a good pathway will be open for the Democratic party to seize upon an FDR-esque individual as its standard bearer.

FDR didn't have a mullet, ever.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Imaginary GF posted:

I see the parallels, what with FDR not being able to use his legs and Rahm breaking people's legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

FDR didn't have a mullet, ever.

• Locked thread