Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't play valve MM anymore, it's 100% faceit premium for me. Even at mid levels in MM it's a poo poo show, gently caress it, just take the piece of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just played my first round on faceit and it was a bunch of racist people telling me I sucked. Don't feel like it's worth the $6/mo.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Premium queue or normal? The normal free queue is a poo poo show, in fact, it's probably worse than mm.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
EU Faceit is toxic racist central

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've barely touched faceit in 2020, but I used to play it almost exclusively. Free queue is ungood, if the people aren't toxic they're probably leavers, likely even more so at low elo where they have less to lose.

Premium queue is a whole lot better, in my experience.

I mostly play esportal now, but their AC kind of sucks and you pretty much have to pay for premium or prime on there too to avoid morons or re-registered cheaters, so its very hard to recommend over faceit to anyone outside of the nordic countries.

I've actually tried to push the guys i play with back to faceit recently because I've yet to crack level 10 there, and my bad brain tells me that is something I want

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
how to have a good time in faceit: decent elo, premium, five stack if possible, four is usually bearable, three if you really want to roll the dice. If you're just trying it out in the free queue grab a few friends to lower the chance of toxic assholes (other than your friends) ending up on your team. Sometimes you get a middle aged polish plumber or something and theyre usually cool enough to not get too mad about video games.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly I've always had a better experience on faceit premium over MM (on both NA and EU). Obviously as with any queue you're going to get idiots from time to time, but I just generally think people try a bit harder and people do get permanently banned very frequently for being complete shitlords. And it goes without saying that having a strong anti-cheat for me is a big thing. But anyway YMMV :shrug:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
for the eu goons have you tried houngoungagne's thing i recall hearing a lot about it like a year or so ago

e: lol i checked and after being gone for half a year he uploaded 5 hours ago. talk about weird

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 28, 2020

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
20 year anniversary for cs' release next monday, really excited to see valve not acknowledge it or do anything special

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

20 year anniversary for cs' release next monday, really excited to see valve not acknowledge it or do anything special

they're going to bring back the riot shield

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
hey listen up cholos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
My ranks reset so many times I've given up on getting out of silver again. But it's okay because the games are still fun.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

I know it's not what you want to hear but if you're supposed to be way out of silver it's uh, a pretty speedy process to frag yourself out of there. Being where the games are balanced and fun is a Good Thing no matter if it's silver 1 or faceit pro league and stressing about what image the pixels form seems to suck the fun out of the game for too many people.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Bohemian Nights posted:

30 round scar20 and Aztec back in the game with lightning strike.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I miss Aztec being in the competitive pool

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kehveli posted:

I know it's not what you want to hear but if you're supposed to be way out of silver it's uh, a pretty speedy process to frag yourself out of there. Being where the games are balanced and fun is a Good Thing no matter if it's silver 1 or faceit pro league and stressing about what image the pixels form seems to suck the fun out of the game for too many people.

provided you just don't bored in the low ranks and go back to faceit

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

I, too, put together some clips I had around from goonmans and put them into a video. It's bad and you should watch it and realize that you, too, can come join us in the joy of throwing the round and the game by buying deagle armour every round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUdq5_lgE0

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
only possible due to LAG SHIELD

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bohemian Nights posted:

only possible due to LAG SHIELD

It's real and it owns.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
sometimes this game is still pretty fun

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
TURK DONT HURT THEM

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

A new operation called Broken Fang is out. The new map is called Ancient which looks like Aztec but plays nothing like it. A new mode called retake, where the CTs have to disarm an armed bomb. It's very good. The twist is that before each round you are given a selection of cards which will be your loadout. So do you take the AWP or the M4 with smoke etc... Very fast paced.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
oh wow csgo added a command wheel

useful for folks who aren't fans of voice chat

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

BoosterDuck posted:

oh wow csgo added a command wheel

useful for folks who aren't fans of voice chat

Useful for me who doesn’t know all of the call outs for every map yet. I’m trying to learn this game after starting this style of game with Valorant where each map had the same 13 callouts and all based off of counter strike callouts (every map has a heaven, window, pit, Tetris, ect) so playing maps like the one with banana and about 15 different halls that could be referred to as apartments is very overwhelming.

I am excited that I can use this battle pass to buy a terrorist who’s wearing a condom on his head though. I almost only play casual defuse but the new game mode looks like a fun thing to try.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Haven't played for about a year but just ended up in comp match randomly with some other goons so that was fun.

(mp7 supremacy)

EDIT: I just looked at their Steam profiles and they're not part of anything SA so I think they're not actually goons which means there's a rival group of goons

Mirror Universe Goons if you will

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 4, 2020

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I like de_ancient a lot. Wide open, pretty clean, lots of long angles, simple. Aztec theme is really underused so the art's a plus.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

mcvey posted:

I like de_ancient a lot. Wide open, pretty clean, lots of long angles, simple. Aztec theme is really underused so the art's a plus.
It seems ok so far but everyone is on there to get their AK/M4 stars, the gameplay will probably settle down over the week. The command wheel is slick, useful for myself but for more linguistically diverse regions of the world it will be a good for bridging the language gap.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I didn't like de_ancient so much (maybe becuase it's just AK/M4 spray and pray to get the kills right now like budzilla said), but have enjoyed de_engage a lot. Especially on A site where there are so many different levels/angles to check/lurk in. Feels very reminiscent of de_train at times.

Still need to figure out how to use the command wheel but it seems like it could be a really cool addition.

I also had fun playing on the retake mode, I hope they keep that as a regular gameplay mode and not just something you can do on private servers.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
This is my first CSGO battle pass, is it lame to use the new operator skins in games right now? Should I wait until the event is over to equip them?

Also, if I buy a crate from the battle pass, I probably still need a key to open them right? Or do the stars count as the key?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

is it lame to use the new operator skins in games right now? Should I wait until the event is over to equip them?

It’s an online shoot mans game. Do what you want 🤷‍♂️

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

V for Vegans posted:

This is my first CSGO battle pass, is it lame to use the new operator skins in games right now? Should I wait until the event is over to equip them?

Also, if I buy a crate from the battle pass, I probably still need a key to open them right? Or do the stars count as the key?

pretty sure the crate still needs a seperate key bought. in re the operator skins just chuck one on if you like it, there's no accepted practice people expect you to abide by or w/e

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

V for Vegans posted:

are you playing in an esports level tournament where any potential issues with the operator skins could potentially give you an unfair advantage? If yes, then maybe hold off on using them there for a bit. Otherwise go buck wild

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Ok, I think I figured this battlepass out. You can either buy a crate to unlock with a key or there’s collections that you can buy with 4 stars that’s essentially like opening a crate for free which is cool. The challenges made me try other modes besides casual for once which was interesting, only had one one person try to start a vote to kick me for no reason, and one person who wouldn’t let me buy them an M4 because mine didn’t have a skin on it, but it was still fun. The car map is confusing but fun because no one else has any clue how to play it either so we’re all on the same page.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

V for Vegans posted:

Ok, I think I figured this battlepass out. You can either buy a crate to unlock with a key or there’s collections that you can buy with 4 stars that’s essentially like opening a crate for free which is cool. The challenges made me try other modes besides casual for once which was interesting, only had one one person try to start a vote to kick me for no reason, and one person who wouldn’t let me buy them an M4 because mine didn’t have a skin on it, but it was still fun. The car map is confusing but fun because no one else has any clue how to play it either so we’re all on the same page.
Don't be scared of playing Competitive ASAP, you'll be ranked with people who are as good or worse than you. Casual is a clusterfuck and not really even close to the main game, it's basically deathmatch. The main fun and real draw is in comp matches.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yeah as a new and bad player I would recommend playing competitive ASAP. I waited till I had ~200 hrs and once I started playing MM I didn’t go back to casual until the new operation just to get some missions accomplished. 10v10 is just a nightmare, 5v5 at least has the potential to be fun.

I really like the car map a lot and I hope it stays around.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

I miss the 64 player cluster fucks on de_dust.

White Noise Marine fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 5, 2020

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

White Noise Marine posted:

I miss you 64 player cluster fucks on de_dust.

last guy is always t-spawn

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Playing competitive has actually been pretty fun, played a match this morning to get my 20 round wins on Engage and the other team walked into our spawn during warm up and would head shot us as soon as we spawned the whole time so a few people on my team were pissed that they didn’t even get a chance to see what the map looked like, so it was a great feeling when we came from behind to beat them.

One teammate was complaining that the map was way too CT sided which I wasn’t sure about but we did go like 9-1 on CT to get the win so I don’t know if it was the false confidence or the actual map balance at work there. It seems like the map is very hard to take or retake a site, but I think it’s just because no one knows the one pixel to look at while throwing a smoke to block off each CT holding spot and I’m sure it’ll balance out as people play the map.

What are points based off of on the score board? I know it doesn’t matter but I seem to always be at the top or near the top for my team despite feeling like I don’t know what’s fully happening and where I should be at the time. The looking for game feature was good for getting the guardian game mode finished, but that mode was super goofy. Basically just find a corner and stare at if for the first 10 seconds of each round while the 10 smokes and flashes fly into the room.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

One teammate was complaining that the map was way too CT sided which I wasn’t sure about but we did go like 9-1 on CT to get the win so I don’t know if it was the false confidence or the actual map balance at work there. It seems like the map is very hard to take or retake a site, but I think it’s just because no one knows the one pixel to look at while throwing a smoke to block off each CT holding spot and I’m sure it’ll balance out as people play the map.
I enjoyed Engage but the B site for terrorists is kind of difficult. The Ts seem to have limited options and there are lots of places to hide. The teams I have played with seem to get around this by a fake push around A then moving to B though mid since the vent is normally a give away and the stairs next to it eat up time before the CTs realise what is going on.

I think when the community gets a better grasp on the map, tactics will improve. Or it will get pulled from the pool after the operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

V for Vegans posted:

What are points based off of on the score board?

kills give you 2 points, assists give 1. both planting and defusing give you 2. if your team got the objective and youre alive you get 1. if you planted the bomb and survived till it explodes, you get 2 and if youre dead when it happens you get 1.