Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
drat 2 pages in and these posts are already unreadable hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Who wants to queue up for mm?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015637148/

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 24, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a way to scroll back the kill feed. Like how opening to type in chat lets you see the history. Maybe in console or something.

Nope! None that I have found, that would be real neato.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

real dilemma posted:

this is really the key to dying less; the ability to play out scenarios in your head and make the smart choice in real time, which is difficult to do when you've been staring at a corner for 20 seconds and finally something happens. things like, if someone runs past the angle I'm holding and you don't kill them and they don't kill you do you re-peek them? do you use utility and then re-peek? do you fall back to another position? if so, where? will doing so screw my teammates?

The "correct" answer is NOT always de-committing to the fight, sometimes you SHOULD be in it until either you're dead or the other player is. so the most practical way to get better at decision making is to actually practice various ways of playing situations in-game and seeing how they tend to play out to better understand how to best make the decision. typically, if you're playing a "forward" position (lets say checkers on cache), the correct move is often to disengage if you don't get the kill right away and fall back to another position so that you're not leaving the site open and then have another chance to have an advantage later. so practice doing this repeatedly and and really think about how it impacted your team's chances of winning vs what happens when you stay in the fight. numbers also matter - in some cases, if your team already has an advantage then killing someone on the other team and being traded is a good play. if you're at a numbers disadvantage, then that same play isn't going to be good enough. also remember that if you're playing a more passive position, then a lot of times falling back could actually HURT your chances of winning the round - for example if you're playing B site on dust2 and fall back out of the site quickly then yes you've stayed alive, but you've also given up for free a very difficult site to retake.

This and Kwilty's writeups are Good Posts to help think through what game sense really means. Thanks guys. You'd be an asset to my ESEA team :P

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I hate my rank

Like 90% of my games end like this, where I'm unable to carry my team to victory but I'm the top contributor. The only way to get out of this is to play with friends, if I had any. Solo queuing is hell.

We had a 14 year old that wouldn't stop screaming the N word.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 27, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Famethrowa posted:

idk maybe dont join 3stacks and squeal and scream at the people to "start already" when they are waiting for their 5th

maybe then you'll have friends 2 play with.

edit: inb4 "OMG IM SORRY IVE CHANGED AND MATURED"

Naw I'm still immature, I think it was late at night and I wanted one last game, so I was rushin people. Sorry bout that.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5betFZRICVg

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

A TURGID FATSO posted:

but... you lost and didn't top frag? am i being trolled here?

I top fragged on my team, not that it matters, and yes I lost. I posted awhile ago about how 90% of my games end up with me doing well but the team is bad enough that we can't win no matter what I do.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Any comprehensive highlight vids around? Can't find a good place other than 'top' on the subreddit which is just a few short clips.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Beamed posted:

Just watch the whole BO3, it was good.

What does BO3 mean and where can I watch it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Garfu posted:

This was me 2 years ago and now I'm good again after ranking into GN2 so there's hope. It definitely felt weird at first but it will come back.

Bad for you is GN2. I wonder where Jamuraan is. I'm happy to be your mentor, add me, I'm Stanley M. Weed.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Every day I think about how much of a moron I was. I'm solid GN2 now, the last few games I played in Inferno I actually played solo B and did well. The guys from goonman pounded it into my thick skull and I started following their advice after way too long. I paid the price since I can't play goonmans anymore, but you should try it, it's a lot of fun.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Backstory: Racism was one of the default ban reasons, so I kept getting banned for racism despite saying nothing about race. So finally I decided to.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I liked making people laugh, even if they thought I was being stupid on purpose :( that will be the part I remember.

Answering texts and crap like that during goonmans is plain disrespectful to everybody, how did I think that was ok.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

stump collector posted:

Shut the gently caress up already

Let me goonman and I will, can't you see how fun it is? (granted it may be because I'm not screwin around)

CSGO is a good game.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Bohemian Nights posted:

We're lucky in cs in that there's plenty of avenues to practice your mechanical skills outside of matches, but in the end it does boil down to just playing the game more. So much of it comes down to gamesense and the only way to develop that is by playing a ridiculous amount of cs

It's honestly disgusting to consider, but until you've put in at least 1000 hours (generously lowballing here) into the game you'll still be a dumb baby who barely understands what's going on

It is sad that this seems like the right answer isn't it? I mean I enjoy my CS hours as much as the next cool cat, but imagine what we all could accomplish if we spent 1000+ hours of each of our short lives collaborating on something else.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

surc posted:

I think it's safe to say that most people in this thread do spend 1000+ hours collaborating with other people on something besides CS.

That's like, 6 months at a job.

I don't understand your point. Obviously most of us who play CS also have a job where we spend more time. My question was about what would happen if the time spent playing CS was allocated to something else. Not making a value judgement either, just seems interesting to think about.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Jeza posted:

You can get reasonably good in about 3-400 hours. It's not really a bad thing, it speaks to the fact that it is a game with an extremely high skill ceiling. To actually make it competitively, which few people really do anyway, you probably need a minimum of 2.5k hours.

Realistically, CS and all videogames are a massive loving waste of time. But so are nearly all 'pass-times'. If you stopped to consider how much time you could dedicate to self-improvement and becoming a better person, you'd probably go crazy. Almost nobody operates like that. And learning ten languages, programming, reading all of classical literature and so on are equally pointless in the long run without a goal in mind. Do what you enjoy.

If that doesn't do it for you, there are people out there who have probably sunk like 20% of their waking life on WoW.

This is good stuff, helps me put it in perspective. My post was only about that thought I have while playing cs "What if I spent all this time on more productive things?" and I thought it was a question worth posing. It wasn't a hot take lol.

Turk you've been nice in private steam messages and your SA jerk persona sucks, it's more insufferable than even me. MM with me goons.

VVV edgy!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

VideoGames posted:

I think I might have laughed the hardest at this post than anything else today.

That's my goal every day, VG.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Nope, still experiencing it to this day. It's rare though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What does heroin feel like?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Finally feeling like I'm hitting an appropriate rank. 3 nova moving up to 4 soon. I think my peak natural rank is somewhere around AK or double AK without putting an even more insane number of hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

NuclearPotato posted:

I too am a lazy gently caress who hasn't grinded out his placement comp matches and gotten Prime on his account (school hasn't helped in that regard). Check the sub.io thread in PGS for the Discord link if you haven't and lets get some low tier MM on.

Where in IL are you buddy?