Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know it's stupid to be all sad about a guy I don't know, but this is really bummer news. Thanks for everyone for posting links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
drat, I kept hoping for Steph or Hunter to interrupt him and set up a Wrestlemania guest referee story or something through that whole speech. :(

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I just got to the anger step of grief.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MacDougall posted:

I just got to the anger step of grief.

Here have a match between Bryan and some Swiss jobber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-NQxS2Sy8

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
While I was there at WM31, the thing I remember about Bryan the most was a house show I went to one time. Bryan was doing his Vegan Heel character at the time, and started ranting at a guy in the audience about his pepperoni pizza, and proceeded to lose his poo poo in amazing and hilarious fashion over it, prompting the whole crowd to chant "Pizza!" at him while he just kept escalating this amazing freak-out. It was, honestly, one of the funniest things I can remember seeing in wrestling.

Thunder Mug
Jul 11, 2008

They may kick our ass, but they will never kick Our Freedom!
Lets not just remember him as the best wrestlemans how about also for his love of bears,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvgCTdGMt0

Or his ability to rap,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpb885jRB9U

or that one time he turned into a ball.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xujf9s_tyson-kidd-vs-daniel-bryan-saturday-morning-slam-10-20-12_sport

Thanks for being a cool guy Soul man Danny D.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Can we add a poll to the thread about which D Bry we liked the most?

Amdrag
Yes Movement Leader
Team Hell No
NXT Rookie
AJ Lee's Boyfy
Etc.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The DAZZLER

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Shoehead posted:

The DAZZLER

B-Dazzle

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

MacDougall posted:

AmDrag, specifically around the Homicide feud where he came out in a sith robe to the Darth Vader theme and tried to make all his opponents puke by airplane spinning them to death.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MacDougall posted:

Amdrag
Yes Movement Leader
Team Hell No
NXT Rookie
AJ Lee's Boyfy
Etc.

Mr Small Package

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MacDougall posted:

Amdrag
Yes Movement Leader
Team Hell No
NXT Rookie
AJ Lee's Boyfy
Etc.

"AJ loves me and I....appreciate that."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

The Monster promo WWE made for WM30 is surely one of the best they ever did, right?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll never forget Wrestlemania 27, even if most other people probably would like to. Axxess beforehand was a blast, even if some times it felt like standing in line for a handshake and a picture. I met and talked with a lot of cool wrestlers that weekend - Cody Rhodes, Kaitlyn, Trent Baretta, and the Miz were all really cool. The longest line I had to wait in was for Daniel Bryan, though. If I remember correctly his line was right next to William Regal's - who was also cool - and it was well-worth it. He was as nice as you'd expect; he was very genuine. I made some dumb inside baseball reference to Asparagus and he cracked a smile, signing my shirt. I didn't want to take the time to pose for a picture so my pal got this one.

(Pic is huge and so am I, but w/e)

So even if the now-iconic Bryan, with the long hair and beard and the YES chant is probably the best version of him, this is the one I probably like the most. He was a cool dude and I think WWE is far, far poorer without him. Glad he's going to go home and be a family man, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Terrible boyfriend Daniel Bryan would have probably made me hate anyone else on the roster but somehow he made it funny. Him sending AJ to the back the night after WrestleMania made me laugh my rear end off.

I'm still really sad I ended up missing the Bryan/AJ/Punk fued because of work

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Shoehead posted:

Terrible boyfriend Daniel Bryan would have probably made me hate anyone else on the roster but somehow he made it funny. Him sending AJ to the back the night after WrestleMania made me laugh my rear end off.

I'm still really sad I ended up missing the Bryan/AJ/Punk fued because of work

Yeah, I think my favorite Daniel Bryan was terrible gaslighting boyfriend Bryan. It really worked to help both him and AJ, before she got linked up with Bryan she wasn't seen as much of a big deal on her own, as I recall.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The AJ stuff is great because it really shows the depth of Bryan's talent. The dude will obviously be remembered as one of the all-time greats in the ring, but his character work was also spot on no matter what storyline he was given. Can you imagine any other technical wizard having a wrestling wedding and making it work?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Team Hell No had people unironically interested in Kane in tyool 2013

Daniel Bryan is amazing and I'll miss him

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
For a very long time, Chris Benoit was my favorite wrestler. I love tough, technical brawler wrestlers. I love the combination of intense in-ring mannerisms with crisp and flexible offense. And then Chris Benoit... didn't get to retire.

After that, Daniel Bryan/Brian Danielson was my favorite wrestler. Same things I loved about Benoit combined with a genuine charisma and an ability to tell stories in the ring. I actually got to see him wrestle live at ROH Testing The Limit in 2004. I've followed his career from lovely gyms, to Japan, to the indies, to NXT, to WMXXX. I am deeply sad I won't see him wrestle again, but I'm so grateful that my favorite, and the best in the business, got to retire this time.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I saw Dragon wrestle 3 different matches in a row in ROH, that was pretty rad. I'm glad a wide wrestling audience got to know and appreciate Bryan Danielson, that's what I'm most happy about.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Daniel Bryan Danielson called Ron Paul supporting libertarian Kane the smartest man he knows so I mean let's be real here people the concussions already started to have an impact.

I'm gonna miss him. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite Bryan match was his 18 second loss to Sheamus, just for the reactions in the GDT. Most fun I've had with Wrestlemania in years.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MacDougall posted:

Bryan should just wrestle Nakamura for fun like Rocky and Apollo boxing at the end of Rocky 3.

I was legit hoping the retirement speech would be him having a last match at Mania with Nakamura before riding off. Sucks that all those injuries piled up over time and shortened what could have been an even more stellar career, imagine a healthy Bryan wrestling in WWE well into his 40s and tearing the house down with young guys and veterans.

Gonna miss that flying goat :smith:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Davros1 posted:

My favorite Bryan match was his 18 second loss to Sheamus, just for the reactions in the GDT. Most fun I've had with Wrestlemania in years.

Probably the all time greatest happy accident booking decision. Nothing else really comes to mind as competing with it.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Davros1 posted:

This will always be the biggest "fail" WWE ever did with him and no amount of WWE history revisionism will ever change my mind. I had three lapsed wrestling friends watching that Wrestlemania. I couldn't be there with them until the end of the show but I remember telling them, "pay attention as he is the best wrestler in WWE and this could be match of the night." Later I get a text back, "I dunno, he lost in 18 seconds." I was shocked. They never watched wrestling again and my hatred for the WWE reached new levels.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got to participate in the great Daniel Bryan Rumble Revolts of 2014 and 2015 live

Daniel Bryan you were good enough to make me boo Rey Mysterio. You will be sincerely loving missed.

I'm going to watch the Monster video like 30 times today.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

weekly font posted:

Daniel Bryan Danielson called Ron Paul supporting libertarian Kane the smartest man he knows so I mean let's be real here people the concussions already started to have an impact.

I'm gonna miss him. :(

Nah, Kane is a pretty smart dude from all reports. Even the most intelligent people have dumb thoughts about politics. And boy do most wrestlers have dumb thoughts about politics and social issues.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

The Monster promo WWE made for WM30 is surely one of the best they ever did, right?

Second best. Taker/Michaels 2's promo is still the high water mark IMO but this is the closest to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGD8QHRBbQ

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

sigmachiev posted:

Probably the all time greatest happy accident booking decision. Nothing else really comes to mind as competing with it.

Yeah, in terms of them having a standard bad WWE decision and it ending up in a good result it's in a league of its own. That Wrestlemania was glorious because they chanted for Bryan for the entire rest of the show, to one degree or another.

I can see what they were thinking since it made sense for the character, but it really should have been done on a Raw and not any PPV, particularly WM. They should've had him lose the title in a Raw on the road to WM exactly the way he did at WM, then demand a rematch at WM that's 2 out of 3 falls since there's no way Sheamus can blindside him twice, and the only way he can win is with a sneak attack! Then you do the awesome Extreme rules 2/3 falls match they had at WM instead, everybody wins. Cut literally any of the midcard matches for the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

Nah, Kane is a pretty smart dude from all reports. Even the most intelligent people have dumb thoughts about politics. And boy do most wrestlers have dumb thoughts about politics and social issues.

And Bryan is a pretty left-wing guy from what I've seen him say about political issues. Perhaps he's able to appreciate that Kane comes by his opinions honestly and not from a "THEY'RE COMIN' FOR ME GOLD!" mentality that a lot of rich athletes have that results in them voting for assholes like Mitt Romney

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And Bryan is a pretty left-wing guy from what I've seen him say about political issues. Perhaps he's able to appreciate that Kane comes by his opinions honestly and not from a "THEY'RE COMIN' FOR ME GOLD!" mentality that a lot of rich athletes have that results in them voting for assholes like Mitt Romney

They probably share the idea of how civilization is about to collapse and trade home composting/survival tactics with each other

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

They probably share the idea of how civilization is about to collapse and trade home composting/survival tactics with each other

I mean, if you take a look at the Republican nominees, that doesn't seem that crazy.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Bryan was amazing and I'm really glad I got to watch Wrestlemania 30 and the lead up to it, as it happened. He's basically the only reason I watched wwe and pretty much everything he did was great in one way or another. Go have a cool retirement and a good life with Brie you strange hippie wrestle master.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
This guy was not only the most over guy on the roster, but he beat Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista, and won the world title, all in the same night. And that night was wrestlemania, no less.

That alone makes him a Hall of Famer.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i love him

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I'll never forget his match against KENTA at GBH V. Absolutely unbelievable. I have no idea just how long he worked with that totally hosed up shoulder of his but he and KENTA still put on one of the best matches I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The guy was far and away my favorite wrestler and one of the main guys that got me back interested in wrestling again after I soured on WWE. My sadness over never getting to see him wrestle live again is far outweighed by the fact that he made the right decision in just walking away. Good for him for doing the one thing most guys can't do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Akileese posted:

I'll never forget his match against KENTA at GBH V. Absolutely unbelievable. I have no idea just how long he worked with that totally hosed up shoulder of his but he and KENTA still put on one of the best matches I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The guy was far and away my favorite wrestler and one of the main guys that got me back interested in wrestling again after I soured on WWE. My sadness over never getting to see him wrestle live again is far outweighed by the fact that he made the right decision in just walking away. Good for him for doing the one thing most guys can't do.

Wasn't the shoulder separated? I remember a bunch of folks thinking KENTA was a shoo-in to win the strap.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Akileese posted:

Fun fact: Glory By Honor V Night 2 is the only ROH DVD I own.

I actually can't find it. It's somewhere in my apartment I think maybe I don't know whatever.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I had a friend attend whichever Super8 he won with the guys from DVDVR. We all had 2 way pagers back then as most of my circle of friends worked for the same pager company :old: Dude blows us up with "Man, you guys HAVE to see American Dragon! His kicks are amazing!" We ended up ordering the tape form Highspots as soon as it came out and the rest of us had the reaction "THIS guy? Seriously?" Needless to say, 5 minutes into his first match we were all completely sold on the guy, and even more so after that match with Lo Ki. Daniel(son) has, to me, been the standard bearer of wrestling in the states since then. He, along with Punk, really got me back into wrestling in the last few years and I'll miss him. Wrestling is a darker place now, but I'm glad he's doing this for the betterment of his health.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
The first time I saw Daniel Bryan live he was in the opening dark match against Chavo Guerrero of the Raw where Bret Hart returned and I got to see him a few more times including the main event of WrestleMania. I don't know if I'll ever have another wrestler that it will be as rewarding to follow the career of, but I'm glad I had Daniel Bryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

We can all hope that Sami Zayn will fill us with the same excitement, right?

• Locked thread