Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

e: you couldn't use them in CoD matchmaking but you could in a friends-only room, I should specify.

Those are kind of a different beast with all the leveling up and unlocking weapons and sights etc though. Worst thing to happen to multiplayer in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Heavy Metal posted:

Those are kind of a different beast with all the leveling up and unlocking weapons and sights etc though. Worst thing to happen to multiplayer in my book.

They were ok for Call of Duty 4 where some of the most solid weapons were unlocked off the bat. But I didn't really expect it to be in every loving game afterwards.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:
Yeah, I know, right? Just look at the millions of people playing Quake Live!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional. There's not way you don't get sick of seeing the same animation over and over again a la DE:HR. If it's something that I can use once or twice a level whenever I'm feeling up to it, and ignore it the rest of the time and play Doom normally then great.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional. There's not way you don't get sick of seeing the same animation over and over again a la DE:HR. If it's something that I can use once or twice a level whenever I'm feeling up to it, and ignore it the rest of the time and play Doom normally then great.

They are. You stagger an enemy by dealing a bunch of damage to it and then you can just keep shooting til it goes down if you want, or move in and finish it off. Glory kills are contextual based on where you're aiming at on the monster's body. So if you're loking at it's head you might punch its face off, or if you're looking down at it's legs you might kick it's legs out from under it and stamp on its head. You apparently are awarded with a bit more ammo/health drops from a glory kill as opposed to a regular kill.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'd definitely love to remake E1M1 in SnapMap.

Why? Especially when,

Zaphod42 posted:

From what they've shown it looks pretty drat good. You can do all kinds of things.

Why would you want to make a shoddy remake of something you can go and play whenever you want already, when you could go and make something original? Marty Stratton already said you probably won't be able to recreate classic Doom levels in snapmap.

Also for those worried about microtransations in general - https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/695386456747962368 - A direct response from Pete Hines to the question "Is Doom going to have microtransactions?" Answer: "No."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

They are. You stagger an enemy by dealing a bunch of damage to it and then you can just keep shooting til it goes down if you want, or move in and finish it off. Glory kills are contextual based on where you're aiming at on the monster's body. So if you're loking at it's head you might punch its face off, or if you're looking down at it's legs you might kick it's legs out from under it and stamp on its head. You apparently are awarded with a bit more ammo/health drops from a glory kill as opposed to a regular kill.

Right, and that "you apparently are awarded" bit is the key thing he's asking about. You just completely overlooked the main issue. Depending upon the level balance, those rewards may be expected in which case playing without using executions would make the game harder. We don't know how it'll shake out, stop acting like you're an expert on a game that isn't out yet.

AirRaid posted:

Why? Especially when,

Why would you want to make a shoddy remake of something you can go and play whenever you want already, when you could go and make something original? Marty Stratton already said you probably won't be able to recreate classic Doom levels in snapmap.

:rolleyes: oh la la, somebody's getting laid in college.

Dude do you not know E1M1? Its loving E1M1. Its THE classic doom map. Its iconic. Its one of the most played maps of all goddamned time. If you don't understand why it'd be fun to immortalize that historic map in a modern format, gently caress off.

Nobody's saying you have to make it or you have to play it, but who the gently caress are you to tell me not to do that? Seriously.

I've played versions of E1M1 in everything from Doom 3 to Unreal to minecraft.

I'll remake classic Doom 1 maps if I loving want to dude. :dealwithit:

AirRaid posted:

Also for those worried about microtransations in general - https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/695386456747962368 - A direct response from Pete Hines to the question "Is Doom going to have microtransactions?" Answer: "No."

I already posted a twitter link confirming this. We already knew it.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

This magazine I somehow still have a subscription to (I know, it's insane) has a huge Doom article in the latest issue. It's an interesting read and they make the game sound really good.

The one criticism they had after playing a pre-release version for a couple of hours is that the new engine has the same problem the Rage engine had, in that when you turn around quickly the textures start popping in. I'm not sure how much T6 still has to do with all the T5 mega-texture stuff and all but I remember that being really grating and stupid in Rage.

I hope they can either fix it until release or at least make it a lot less noticable than it was in Rage.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean, as long as it's the same run and game-play doom 1 and 2 had I'm pretty sure this is going to be pretty good and a nice change from all the god drat cover shooters. Also I can't really blame them for the over the top executions stuff, since that's what the most popular single player mod for doom2 did with brutal doom.

It just better not be like 6 hours long like bulletstorm and rage were.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

abraxas posted:

This magazine I somehow still have a subscription to (I know, it's insane) has a huge Doom article in the latest issue. It's an interesting read and they make the game sound really good.

The one criticism they had after playing a pre-release version for a couple of hours is that the new engine has the same problem the Rage engine had, in that when you turn around quickly the textures start popping in. I'm not sure how much T6 still has to do with all the T5 mega-texture stuff and all but I remember that being really grating and stupid in Rage.

I hope they can either fix it until release or at least make it a lot less noticable than it was in Rage.

I'm not sure, I don't think megatextures supported real-time lighting and that's definitely going on in DOOM, so IdTech6 may just not have megatextures, or maybe they found some workaround so they could have lighting on top of it.

That problem was pretty annoying on Rage, but on a good PC you only noticed it if you really whipped the mouse around 180 all the time. (On consoles I'm sure it was a disaster)

E: Found something that says DOOM does use megatextures, but it also says Wolfenstein the new order used them and I didn't notice issues with that one, so maybe they've improved its handling so that it isn't apparent.

In theory megatextures are a good thing as they let artists bake whatever crazy amount of detail they want into the level without worrying about the overall graphics budget so much, but in practice in Rage it didn't seem worth the cost.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

abraxas posted:

Considering this didn't happen at all in Wolfenstein: TNO or TOB which also used the RAGE engine I'm wondering if its just id that have no idea how to use their own engine.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I've been calling this game Retard 4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

Considering this didn't happen at all in Wolfenstein: TNO or TOB which also used the RAGE engine I'm wondering if its just id that have no idea how to use their own engine.

No, it definitely happens in Wolfenstein, but to a lesser extent, on midline PCs like my own.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Machinegames seem to have taken over the job of making id's tech actually fun to play ever since Raven got drafted into pumping out CODs for eternity.

Maybe MG will make a new Wolfenstein with chainsaw and Nazi demons from hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

You posted the exact same thing on the first page and nobody cared then, stop.

Ddraig posted:

Machinegames seem to have taken over the job of making id's tech actually fun to play ever since Raven got drafted into pumping out CODs for eternity.

Maybe MG will make a new Wolfenstein with chainsaw and Nazi demons from hell.

Yeah machinegames are one of the best studios right now that seem to still understand how to do a proper FPS.

Them and Flying Hog.

Its too bad that Bulletstorm ended up wrecking People Can Fly, they were also pretty solid.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional.
The ~~glory kills~~ give you extra health, and the game is undoubtedly tuned around actually using them, so I imagine that they are optional like bullet time was technically "optional" in Max Payne: it's possible to ignore it but you'll have a bad time doing so.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

Yeah, with tons of perks, abilities, etc.

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(

The Kins posted:

Yeah, I know, right? Just look at the millions of people playing Quake Live!

Yeah, hard to believe people don't really want to play an inferior free-to-play version of an arena shooter with changes no one asked for or want to deal with!

(Edit: or is it not free to play anymore? I can't remember how/when they started charging for it because Quake Live doesn't appear to have been run particularly well and might not be the best example)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah, with tons of perks, abilities, etc.

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(

Yeah, in Doom or any proper arena shooter, you should all spawn on the same even-level. Always. There should never be an advantage the second you spawn because you bought microtransactions or you played the game longer or whatever. That's just wrong. Its anathema to skill-based design.

Counterstrike GO still has NONE of those things. The new Unreal Tournament doesn't either. But DOOM does? loving lame.

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah, hard to believe people don't really want to play an inferior free-to-play version of an arena shooter with changes no one asked for or want to deal with!

(Edit: or is it not free to play anymore? I can't remember how/when they started charging for it because Quake Live doesn't appear to have been run particularly well and might not be the best example)

Everything about Quake Live was horribly mismanaged. It was free with paid support that would get you bonuses, then it went free-er? Then they wanted you to buy it on steam?
Also hilariously they hosed up Quake Live and drove everyone who was playing it away from it by doing exactly this same sort of horseshit.
They added "loadouts" to loving quake 3 so you could spawn with a rocket launcher or a lightning gun or whatever and wouldn't have to run around the map or know where guns spawn.

As you can imagine, that's really dumb. Stop trying to make Quake into Call of Duty!
If you really wanna make goddamned call of duty so bad, MAKE CALL OF DUTY. But if you're making Doom or Quake Live, make Doom or Quake Live.

So many stupid game designers (and I expect more often publishers and executives who don't know anything about game design) try to shoehorn in mechanics that work in one game into a completely different game environment assuming that more fun stuff = better, right? Wrong.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kibayasu posted:

It was the first time it had been done, it wasnt as developed as it is now. most games use some variant of megatextures tech now, it's a super efficient way of packing textures and streaming them from disk. instead of scanning for hundreds of different files it's got one to look through which is super well indexed so it can grab only the area it needs considerably faster than loading all the tiles as separate images.

Had nothing to do with rage having pre baked lighting, they just decided to use pre baked lighting in rage because they liked how it looked. rage's texture streaming issues was because of a few decisions they made they didnt have time to iron out properly and working with super limited console ram. It's a shame people think megatextures is poo poo and at fault because it has made a big difference to that way people work with maps now.

there's a megatextures style plugin for unity available called amplify textures which we've been using - http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/
Same concept, works great. Good writeup of how it works on their site. There's another different one on its way for ue4.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 12, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

It was the first time it had been done, it wasnt as developed as it is now. most games use some variant of megatextures tech now, it's a super efficient way of packing textures and streaming them from disk. instead of scanning for hundreds of different files it's got one to look through which is super well indexed so it can grab only the area it needs considerably faster than loading all the tiles as separate images.

Had nothing to do with rage having pre baked lighting, they just decided to use pre baked lighting in rage because they liked how it looked. rage's texture streaming issues was because of a few decisions they made they didnt have time to iron out properly and working with super limited console ram. It's a shame people think megatextures is poo poo and at fault because it has made a big difference to that way people work with maps now.

there's a megatextures style plugin for unity available called amplify textures which we've been using - http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/
Same concept, works great. Good writeup of how it works on their site. There's another different one on its way for ue4.

MegaTexturing is used in lots of games and is technically just clipmapping for terrain / level textures, but Id tech goes further with virtual texturing which most games don't do, where you have massive textures of practically unlimited size, which runs into some more performance issues than just basic clipmapping would.

But yeah, I didn't notice any problems with wolfenstein the new order, so clearly they've worked out the kinks.

And the biggest problem was always just trying to crank that much detail into the 360's loving tiny 512MB of RAM and having to deal with disc seek times. On modern hardware even Rage runs pretty smooth.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

If the level of detail and variety in Wolfenstein is attributable to megatextures then I think it's a good thing to have. But RAGE's texture pop-in was a complete shitshow and id tried to pawn the blame on ATI/AMD (never mind that it was happening on Nvidia too). Hearing that it's possible that it could happen again after TNO is somewhat worrying, that's all.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
anyone know when the next alpha test is? I have it on my steam list but no idea how to find out when it's scheduled to be playable again

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst part about Retard 4 is how slow it looks. Also regenerating health, cover based gameplay, poo poo multiplayer with more than likely pay to win elements lol, power ups based on preorders, piss filters, QTES, bad enemy design, it probably has a story, and he'll just about everything else

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Black Baby Goku posted:

Remember that quake 2 HD remaster that came with quake 4

This was a packin with Quake 4 on 360 as well. Quake 4 had a couple of cool moments but I love that years later, the absolute best FPS you can get on the 360 are still DOOM, Quake II and Duke Nukem 3D.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that quake 2 remaster available anywhere else?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude do you not know E1M1? Its loving E1M1.

No poo poo. And if I want to play it, I'll go boot up Zdoom and play it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I already posted a twitter link confirming this. We already knew it.

You posted a twitter response saying obliquely that hack modules would not be available via microtransactions, and people were apparently still unsure. The tweet I linked was a broader denial of any microtransctions in the game at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

stop acting like you're an expert on a game that isn't out yet.

I'm not "trying to act like an expert", but I have seen every bit of media about this game torn apart on the Doomworld forums over the last couple of months, I've seen every argument here posted there more than once and every bit of information turned over every which way it can be by a bunch of people far more obsessed than I am. So, expert? probably not. But I have as much information about it as anyone else who isn't a journalist or id software dev who's actually played the game. Excuse me for chipping in to a conversation.

Black Baby Goku posted:

The worst part about Retard 4 is how slow it looks. Also regenerating health, cover based gameplay, poo poo multiplayer with more than likely pay to win elements lol, power ups based on preorders, piss filters, QTES, bad enemy design, it probably has a story, and he'll just about everything else

Uneffective troll is uneffective. If you bothered to actually look at any of the media you'd find that literally everything you just said was false. I guess "bad enemy design" is subjective.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AirRaid posted:

No poo poo. And if I want to play it, I'll go boot up Zdoom and play it.

You posted a twitter response saying obliquely that hack modules would not be available via microtransactions, and people were apparently still unsure. The tweet I linked was a broader denial of any microtransctions in the game at all.

I'm not "trying to act like an expert", but I have seen every bit of media about this game torn apart on the Doomworld forums over the last couple of months, I've seen every argument here posted there more than once and every bit of information turned over every which way it can be by a bunch of people far more obsessed than I am. So, expert? probably not. But I have as much information about it as anyone else who isn't a journalist or id software dev who's actually played the game. Excuse me for chipping in to a conversation.

Uneffective troll is uneffective. If you bothered to actually look at any of the media you'd find that literally everything you just said was false. I guess "bad enemy design" is subjective.

I'm not trolling. Retard 4 has cover based gameplay, regen health, bad filters, QTE executions, and holy poo poo multiplayer with whatever "hack modules are" lmfao

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zaphod42 posted:

The QTE kills are one of my biggest turn-offs of the game right now.

However, if you watch the video where they talk about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qfIY4RqWs they're at least thinking about it in the right way.

I should probably watch that vid first to confirm, but is there going to be anyway to totally disable those animated mortal kombat finisher things? It adds absolutely nothing to the game other than being porn for hosed up people, the game is violent enough as is and I really prefer the idea of a fast paced Doom than I do a game that pauses time for me to watch a video of bones and blood in a blender or some poo poo.

I just read the post about them giving extra health, hope that's bullshit or I'm gonna send angry emails to John Carmack then he will reply explaining that he doesn't work there anymore and that he's busy solo coding an entire new VR game and building a new NASA or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

extra stout posted:

I should probably watch that vid first to confirm, but is there going to be anyway to totally disable those animated mortal kombat finisher things? It adds absolutely nothing to the game other than being porn for hosed up people, the game is violent enough as is and I really prefer the idea of a fast paced Doom than I do a game that pauses time for me to watch a video of bones and blood in a blender or some poo poo.

I just read the post about them giving extra health, hope that's bullshit or I'm gonna send angry emails to John Carmack then he will reply explaining that he doesn't work there anymore and that he's busy solo coding an entire new VR game and building a new NASA or something

Yeah you should try watching that video or maybe reading the thread? We were just talking about this.

As far as we know there's no way to disable them and they sound rather integrated into the game's design. There could be an option at release or somebody could figure out a hack or a mod to work around it. You can always use cheat engine / RAM manipulation if you have to. But I wouldn't hold your breath on their being an option to disable it, the developers clearly believe in it and putting in such an option would be like admitting that it was a mistake. (Even though I agree that games should appeal to multiple groups of people have offer options to tailor the experience to your own preferences)

What do you mean 'hope that's bullshit', you think we're lying? Dude watch the video.

Have fun writing angry emails to Carmack though. :)

AirRaid posted:

Don't even respond to him. Either ignore him or report him for thread making GBS threads. He's the worst low-effort troll in games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friendly reminder:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

A friendly reminder:

lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you should try watching that video or maybe reading the thread? We were just talking about this.

As far as we know there's no way to disable them and they sound rather integrated into the game's design. There could be an option at release or somebody could figure out a hack or a mod to work around it. You can always use cheat engine / RAM manipulation if you have to. But I wouldn't hold your breath on their being an option to disable it, the developers clearly believe in it and putting in such an option would be like admitting that it was a mistake. (Even though I agree that games should appeal to multiple groups of people have offer options to tailor the experience to your own preferences)

What do you mean 'hope that's bullshit', you think we're lying? Dude watch the video.

Have fun writing angry emails to Carmack though. :)

Don't even respond to him. Either ignore him or report him for thread making GBS threads. He's the worst low-effort troll in games.

I know there are a lot of poo poo posters in here but I did read the thread and just hadn't had time to check the vid yet, I did and it sucks, plz don't John Romero me. I still think this will be a great game once they turn that poo poo off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure, I don't think megatextures supported real-time lighting and that's definitely going on in DOOM, so IdTech6 may just not have megatextures, or maybe they found some workaround so they could have lighting on top of it.
They've mentioned in the past that rewrote the renderer.

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything about Quake Live was horribly mismanaged. It was free with paid support that would get you bonuses, then it went free-er? Then they wanted you to buy it on steam?
Also hilariously they hosed up Quake Live and drove everyone who was playing it away from it by doing exactly this same sort of horseshit.
They added "loadouts" to loving quake 3 so you could spawn with a rocket launcher or a lightning gun or whatever and wouldn't have to run around the map or know where guns spawn.
The loadout stuff was added years after release, because nobody played it under classic rules, as a final desperate attempt to salvage the money that it had bled out over years of giving you what you claim you want - classic Deathmatch and CTF. The subscription stuff was custom server support and various extra maps - all the original Q3A maps were free. The pricetag was added as an alternative to just closing the game down forever and deleting everything, so that the six Europeans who still played it could still do so on their own servers with their own rules.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The funny thing about people praising Wolfenstein: The New Order and Bulletstorm compared to Doom 4 is that the latter two were actually heavily story-driven games with a shitload of dialogue and cutscenes, they were just done well enough that people didn't mind.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I played the alpha of this and it consisted of me waiting in a lobby while nothing happened for hours. I finally got into one match with a team that had a billion point lead over the other and it kinda felt like a slower Quake Arena. That lasted about three minutes.
After that it was back to waiting in a lobby for hours on end while I played my 3DS.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

That's definitely what it will be like when it's fully released.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

The funny thing about people praising Wolfenstein: The New Order and Bulletstorm compared to Doom 4 is that the latter two were actually heavily story-driven games with a shitload of dialogue and cutscenes, they were just done well enough that people didn't mind.

They were also good and fun despite the lack of megatextures. They did have QTE so maybe it'll work in DOOM 4.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people probably expected less of them because bulletstorm was its own thing and despite what some people might try to tell everyone else no one has given two shits about the wolfenstein ip for decades

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The last three wolfenstein games have been excellent.

I don't think there's been a single bad Wolfenstein game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

Holy poo poo you are not alone in this. Multiplayer shooter designers have gotten so loving lazy these days that they cover up a lack of creativity and diversity in their arsenals by letting you slap one of two dozen scopes, lasers and grips all over the guns that they couldn't be bothered to make interesting, fun or balanced.