Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Press F to get hyped.

Then press C for cover system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm going to pirate Retard 4 and then play 10 minutes to confirm its bad, then uninstall it

doom....... is good

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

so how badly will i need to upgrade my pc for this game? everytime a new iD software game came out I had to completely overhaul my pc. hopefully since now I have an i5 and a GTX970 I can finally a new iD game without having to shell out $300 for new hardware. probably going to wait for a sale and review though, because honestly this doesn't really feel like a Doom game.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Starhawk64 posted:

so how badly will i need to upgrade my pc for this game? everytime a new iD software game came out I had to completely overhaul my pc. hopefully since now I have an i5 and a GTX970 I can finally a new iD game without having to shell out $300 for new hardware. probably going to wait for a sale and review though, because honestly this doesn't really feel like a Doom game.

It's probably gonna run like poo poo no matter what hardware you have tbh

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Does this game have a super shotgun and does it own?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

doom....... is good

Nuh-uh.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hungry Bit posted:

No

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Hungry Bit posted:

doom...... is good

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Awesome Welles posted:

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(

I don't even want that anymore, but rather really solid co-op. PvP is so stale now :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
why does doom guy look like samus now

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
is it cuz hes a bitch now??? lmao

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
they should make like in revegence where time freezes and you can freely slice stuff but in retard 3 you punch the enemy at will, targeting specific parts of it's body that would in turn blow up

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What ever happened to the roguelike doom?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What ever happened to the roguelike doom?

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Hasn't been updated in a while, but still the best Doom game in years.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doomguy looking like samus is good, imo

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Joestar posted:

doom........ is good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's just the angle, I assure you Doomguy's waist is not nearly as svelte. His diet is actually kind of scary.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would prefer it if doomguy was a twink or a lady, imo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would prefer it if doomguy was a twink or a lady, imo

Luck be a Doomguy lady, tonight

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo I didn't realize Retard 4 had time slow down when you switched guns lmfao

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
When do I get to use my beta code that I got with my pre-purchase of Wolfenstein: TNO?

Also, when games become able to put as many enemies on screen in as open spaces as ultra-violence does in doom 1 and 2, then we shall have a real doom game. Also modern level design seems very different than it was back then. I don't think we will ever see another game like doom 1 and 2 ever again. Serious Sam was close, but that's still more corridor-y than doom was most of the time. It was just arena after arena, rather than doom's levels that seemed like small areas to explore and unlock. It seems like most shooters trying to grab the old doom feel fall into that same thing. Painkiller, Serious Sam, Hard Reset, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that I bet Doom 4 is probably going to be just more arena shooter with low enemy counts and will be totally forgettable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Black Baby Goku posted:

Quake 3 on dreamcast was fun. Retard 4 will not be

This is true. Quake 3 on dream cast was more fun than it had any right to be.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Broose posted:

When do I get to use my beta code that I got with my pre-purchase of Wolfenstein: TNO?

Also, when games become able to put as many enemies on screen in as open spaces as ultra-violence does in doom 1 and 2, then we shall have a real doom game. Also modern level design seems very different than it was back then. I don't think we will ever see another game like doom 1 and 2 ever again. Serious Sam was close, but that's still more corridor-y than doom was most of the time. It was just arena after arena, rather than doom's levels that seemed like small areas to explore and unlock. It seems like most shooters trying to grab the old doom feel fall into that same thing. Painkiller, Serious Sam, Hard Reset, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that I bet Doom 4 is probably going to be just more arena shooter with low enemy counts and will be totally forgettable.

There's definitely an art to FPS level design, feels like the genre could use more influence from the classics these days. Like you said, stuff like Painkiller and Serious Sam just doesn't have level design as interesting as the best Doom maps (plus Duke 3D and Quake maps I'd add). Levels that are fun to traverse, some open areas, some tighter areas, all elegantly leading back to where you need to go and giving you areas to explore etc.

That said, this game could have some of that, we haven't really seen much. At least I can tell from the glimpses we've seen that it has some interesting areas with multiple heights and areas spiraling around etc. Seems like it could be a step in the right direction compared to the straight linear path level design we see these days. Will have to wait and see.

As for tons and tons of monsters, I don't think that's always needed, or what makes Doom. If you can't make an encounter interesting with say 8 enemies, the monsters probably aren't very interesting. Even having four or five engage you at once could be hectic if the AI is good.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think hordes of monsters are always needed but it always needs to be an option.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

This is true. Quake 3 on dream cast was more fun than it had any right to be.

I remember people using console commands (by using the keyboard adapter) to enable texture-less mode so they could improve their kill ratio. I am 100% certain DOOM4 will not have this feature.
Dreamcast Quake > Doom 4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mentioned it before but Shadow Warrior 2 is looking dope as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxU3JXOinY
They specifically talk about foregoing canned animations in favour of keeping everything fluid, movement seems fast and empowering, and it looks like you'll have the whole run of the level to fight in, rather than the sectioned off arena areas of the first game.

Plus 70 different weapons, procedural side missions and optional 4-player co-op? God, I hope they pull it all off well.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
God it looks so good. Cool to see they're doing the EYE thing and letting you replay the huge nonlinear levels with random objectives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

I mentioned it before but Shadow Warrior 2 is looking dope as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxU3JXOinY
They specifically talk about foregoing canned animations in favour of keeping everything fluid, movement seems fast and empowering, and it looks like you'll have the whole run of the level to fight in, rather than the sectioned off arena areas of the first game.

Plus 70 different weapons, procedural side missions and optional 4-player co-op? God, I hope they pull it all off well.

Yeah the first shadow warrior remake was way better than expected, really visually stimulating and pretty enjoyable combat.

Focusing on co-op for the sequel is exactly what I wanted.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Broose posted:

Well you've missed two chances to get into the Multiplayer alpha already, but go here to redeem your code and you'll get an email next time they're doing something. They weren't taking the entire beta pool for the alphas, just a selection of players. Everyone who has a beta code redeemed will get access to the beta (which will be "closer to release") though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

rest of the images: http://imgur.com/a/eI5pT

quake movement is good
2 weapons in mp is bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

rest of the images: http://imgur.com/a/eI5pT

quake movement is good
2 weapons in mp is bad

Interesting. Yeah, quake movement as an option for bunny hopping is super good news. 2 weapons + special weapon in MP is dumb and bad, hopefully there's some server cvar or some alternative game mode which ignores that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Black Baby Goku posted:

The worst part about Retard 4 is how slow it looks. Also regenerating health, cover based gameplay, poo poo multiplayer with more than likely pay to win elements lol, power ups based on preorders, piss filters, QTES, bad enemy design, it probably has a story, and he'll just about everything else

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Gears of DooM

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's not a cover shooter, there aren't little walls and sandbags to crouch behind every five feet, I don't see it. That said I respect the hell out of Cliffy B.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

KNACK 2.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties 2

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

That said I respect the hell out of Cliffy B.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Doom needs a shotgun that doesn't suck. And by that, I mean one that shoots further than a few feet with killing power.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Doom needs a shotgun that doesn't suck. And by that, I mean one that shoots further than a few feet with killing power.

Even in doom 1/2 the shotgun won't kill most enemies at range, maybe a couple imps sure. The whole fun of it though was sliding up next to somebody and spanking them with the shotgun at point-blank range and then ice-skating off at 500mph.

Good news is we know from the cover art that the game does have a double-barreled shotgun. Although bad news is if you can't move as fast, its inherently less good.

There was that cvar about quake style jumping and momentum though, I wonder if you could turn that on for single player and bunny hop around while you're shotgun blasting dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It pleases me greatly they're going for the dumb meathead approach for the player character. Cracks me the gently caress up that he's just this heavy-handed psychopath whose sole interaction is punching or shooting roaring monsters in the face. :allears: