Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

It pleases me greatly they're going for the dumb meathead approach for the player character. Cracks me the gently caress up that he's just this heavy-handed psychopath whose sole interaction is punching or shooting roaring monsters in the face. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

Good news is we know from the cover art that the game does have a double-barreled shotgun. Although bad news is if you can't move as fast, its inherently less good.

Running up to guys and blasting them point blank with the SSG was a decent strategy in the alpha. Might need to put a rocket in them on the approach to soften any armour they had, but it was a really heavy hitter up close.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

Running up to guys and blasting them point blank with the SSG was a decent strategy in the alpha. Might need to put a rocket in them on the approach to soften any armour they had, but it was a really heavy hitter up close.

Looks like there's far less enemies that have ranged attacks, and possibly zero enemies with hitscan attacks? If so then the slower movement speed isn't as much of a liability to the SSG because you can get into and out of melee range with less danger.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zaphod42 posted:

All the "masters of doom" other than Carmack have been long long long gone. Romero, Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen, American McGee, all the big-name Doom guys.

It was Carmack holding the studio together with his techno wizardry, and then a bunch of rotating new hires who worked on things like Doom 3, Wolfenstein (Blue Version), Rage, etc.

Which is why games like Rage don't seem to have great design or very coherent vision. But Carmack was such a wizard the games still did okay on their technical prowess.

Its not really uncommon for game studios to rotate out positions after a few years, you burn out working on the same project or you change your mind about what you want to do or whatever. I doubt there's many people left at Id who have been there long (in major dev positions anyways) and those few probably won't guarantee anything stays the same.

I thought I read an article about a mass exodus from Id after Carmack left, but I can't find anything now. But still it isn't really required.

If you wanna say that its "still Id software" you can go ahead, and you're technically right. But myself that's how I feel, its a whole other team now. Like Guns and Roses trying to call themselves GNR even though they only have Axl. What if Axl left? That'd finally be the end. :cheeky:

Also friendly reminder,
This is what the original Doom 4 looked like:

It was basically Call of Duty and looked terrible. Hopefully DOOM proves to be better than Doom 4.

Let me just say that I work in the same office building as Id and have had contact with quite a few and pretty much everything you say is completely and utterly wrong. But it's some nice speculation.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like there's far less enemies that have ranged attacks, and possibly zero enemies with hitscan attacks? If so then the slower movement speed isn't as much of a liability to the SSG because you can get into and out of melee range with less danger.

It's been confirmed there are Possesed guys with shotguns, as well as possibly machineguns and chaingunners.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

Let me just say that I work in the same office building as Id and have had contact with quite a few and pretty much everything you say is completely and utterly wrong. But it's some nice speculation.

Hey there KING human being OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM, would you care to actually explain anything in particular or any concrete detail that was wrong? Want to shed some light on the development process since you are so in the know? Nope? Just wanna drop in to say "lol ur wrong I work with Id and know more" uh okay guy, you're real cool!

I'd be surprised to hear what you think is so utterly wrong since I didn't say anything remotely controversial. All the major Doom names other than Carmack left a long time ago, that's a fact. Carmack left several years ago, that's a fact. Id games have been sloppy but have been technically impressive, that's an opinion but a pretty drat common one.

AirRaid posted:

It's been confirmed there are Possesed guys with shotguns, as well as possibly machineguns and chaingunners.

Hm, nuts. Well, it still depends upon how the fights are staged, which enemies are used where.

Could be effective then to pick off the chaingunners from range then run around SSG slapping the imps and pinkies after that. Or the SSG could still be good against chaingunners as long as they give us lots of cover when they do use chaingunners.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, nuts. Well, it still depends upon how the fights are staged, which enemies are used where.

Could be effective then to pick off the chaingunners from range then run around SSG slapping the imps and pinkies after that. Or the SSG could still be good against chaingunners as long as they give us lots of cover when they do use chaingunners.

Well from the various interviews I've seen, they put a lot of thought into exactly that. How each different enemy changes the dynamic of a fight, what kind of architecture would help/hinder the player, how the player might want to move around the area while fighting various things. I think Marty mentioned how you might develop a strategy against a certain type of enemy, but then later you won't be able to do the same thing because a new type of enemy is stopping that, so you need to rethink.

E: If they can pull it off, I think we'll get a bunch of fight scenarios like Action Movie fight scenes. Think John Wick - the protagonist moving around through a sea of enemies picking off the ones he can, prioritising threats and stunning others to finish later.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metacritic prediction: 66

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Carmack was poo poo and terrible to work with and had terrible design ideas

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey there KING human being OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM, would you care to actually explain anything in particular or any concrete detail that was wrong? Want to shed some light on the development process since you are so in the know? Nope? Just wanna drop in to say "lol ur wrong I work with Id and know more" uh okay guy, you're real cool!

:eyepop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

echronorian posted:

Carmack was poo poo and terrible to work with and had terrible design ideas
counterpoint: carmack decided to gently caress off with tom hall's open-world, realistic-level, rpg-lite idea of doom and just make it a corridor shooter

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm posting from the future.

I wasn't expecting the tutorial to open with a 36-minute monologue delivered by a sole cacodemon on the destructive nature of man and the juxtaposition of the superego with the fallacies of modern convenience vis–à–vis nietzsche.

GOTY 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd be surprised to hear what you think is so utterly wrong since I didn't say anything remotely controversial. All the major Doom names other than Carmack left a long time ago, that's a fact. Carmack left several years ago, that's a fact. Id games have been sloppy but have been technically impressive, that's an opinion but a pretty drat common one.

Even though Doom 4 is going to be disappointing at best this is a pro-tier post.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean basically you wanted to act like you know all about the inner workings at play while actually having no clue whatsoever and it entirely being conjecture - ie. "carmack was the man with the plan and everyone else blah blah blah turnover"

You don't know anything about the actual talent that works there or some of the senior guys that have been working at id for over a decade. You don't know anything about who the actual lead designers are, or what their resume is. You don't know anything about anything really, you're just running your mouth because you read an article a couple years ago about Doom being in development hell and know Carmack left.

Even regurgitating this line of "id games have been sloppy but technically impressive" is pretty much the equivalent of some dipshit yammering off corporate buzzwords in a meeting - I doubt you can even speak to what these 'technically impressive' feats are without googling or regurgitating something someone else may have posted about shaders or w/e

Basically you're just a big loving phony

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 16, 2016

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Ooooooh shiiitttttttt!!!!!!!!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The funny thing is the hordes of monsters people associate with doom 1 and 2 are more associated with modern custom wads than anything id did. Id's maps rarely crossed the 100 monster mark. They're also generally considred easy by modern wad maker standards.

Serious Sam and those kinds of games seem to emulate 2000-era slaughterwads more than what id actually did.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Professor of Cats posted:

Ooooooh shiiitttttttt!!!!!!!!

ITS.

GETTIN.

HEATED.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I mean basically you wanted to act like you know all about the inner workings at play while actually having no clue whatsoever and it entirely being conjecture - ie. "carmack was the man with the plan and everyone else blah blah blah turnover"

You don't know anything about the actual talent that works there or some of the senior guys that have been working at id for over a decade. You don't know anything about who the actual lead designers are, or what their resume is. You don't know anything about anything really, you're just running your mouth because you read an article a couple years ago about Doom being in development hell and know Carmack left.

Even regurgitating this line of "id games have been sloppy but technically impressive" is pretty much the equivalent of some dipshit yammering off corporate buzzwords in a meeting - I doubt you can even speak to what these 'technically impressive' feats are without googling or regurgitating something someone else may have posted about shaders or w/e

my uncle works at id, ama

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Your pathetic facade falls apart once again Zaphod!

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
:jerky:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I knew a game thread with an OP by Zaphod would pay off!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I mean basically you wanted to act like you know all about the inner workings at play while actually having no clue whatsoever

Zaphods MO about p much everything

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The way I read it is that John and the rest of the programmers were putting more and more time into engine-building as the tech got heavier, leaving Romero and the designers twiddling their thumbs. There were also the issues of Romero not liking stagnation and Tom Hall not being huge into violent games, but with the large dead zones in id's development, it seems like the first sentence played a much larger role than people think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155

Oh poo poo what?

Once again, if you know gently caress-all about Id, please share it. Saying "nuh uh you don't know anything" is loving pointless.

Also read a loving book sometime.

Ddraig posted:

my uncle works at id, ama

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 17, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wait a minute, known moron Zaphod42 might be dumb about a thing? Wibby wa wa whammy, I can't believe it!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I work at the dump. Ask me why DOOM looks and smells like garbage!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait a minute, known moron Zaphod42 might be dumb about a thing? Wibby wa wa whammy, I can't believe it!

God drat it, now I want a Doom game starring Rick.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Plan Z posted:

The way I read it is that John and the rest of the programmers were putting more and more time into engine-building as the tech got heavier, leaving Romero and the designers twiddling their thumbs. There were also the issues of Romero not liking stagnation and Tom Hall not being huge into violent games, but with the large dead zones in id's development, it seems like the first sentence played a much larger role than people think.

"Let me just say that I work in the same office building as Id and have had contact with quite a few and pretty much everything you say is completely and utterly wrong. But it's some nice speculation." :goonsay:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm bookmarking this thread thanks guys

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

counterpoint: carmack decided to gently caress off with tom hall's open-world, realistic-level, rpg-lite idea of doom and just make it a corridor shooter

Everything gets better with open-world. How else are you going to pick up all 3000 mcguffins

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Everything gets better with open-world. How else are you going to pick up all 3000 mcguffins

By making the McGuffins bullets that go into your gun.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I like the new enemy designs. Definitely a step up from doom 3. Except the zombie men and I guess what are the imps look almost identical from a distance and are just varying shades of light brown. Cacodemons and pinkys look rad as hell though.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broose posted:

I like the new enemy designs. Definitely a step up from doom 3. Except the zombie men and I guess what are the imps look almost identical from a distance and are just varying shades of light brown. Cacodemons and pinkys look rad as hell though.

The designs in Retard 4 are a huge step down

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broose posted:

Yeah the zombies look super lame and boring, but all the demonic monsters look pretty classic.

And now that bump mapping has been replaced by normal mapping, everybody won't look like they're made of plastic ala Doom 3.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I'm tentatively excited, that might just be the name Doom bringing back all the 90's nostalgia though. Do like the speed of the title, but think it could be a little more brutal based on the content so far. Also they removed weapon reloads for flow of the game but I kinda liked them in Brutal Doom. Maybe that was just me.

Read an article in the latest Edge too and they had some pretty cool concept art speaking of hellscapes, such as a giant Demon skeleton/corpse reaching out of the ground and I immediately thought "I'd love to fight demons around that".

I'll probably get a bit of fun from it at the very least, I am kinda hoping that it will be a modern popular classic FPS in terms of multiplayer too, but I doubt it after the Alpha. Maybe I let my rose tinted glasses get in the way and Quakeworld isn't as fantastic as I remember.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hope Oswald and Zaphod kill each other itt

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CharlestonJew posted:

I hope Oswald and Zaphod kill each other itt

Blackfyre's custom title is extremely apt. :allears:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155

Oh poo poo what?

Once again, if you know gently caress-all about Id, please share it. Saying "nuh uh you don't know anything" is loving pointless.

Also read a loving book sometime.
I have read this book twice and nothing in it backs up anything you are saying about what happened post Doom 3. There is nothing in it about Rage, the Wolfenstein game, or who worked on any of those. In fact the book ends around the end of Doom 3's development and then segues into homemade rockets and broken down cars.

I am sorry but you do in fact not know jack poo poo, neither do I, but I trust someone who claims to have any sort of connection to the dev team at all more than I do some random human being on the internet who spouts complete conjecture and can't handle being doubted or critisized. There is in fact a point about saying "nuh uh you don't know anything", and that point is that you do in fact not know anything about the things you are talking about. This is a true and correct statement.

DOOM looks good and fun, a bit slow but still fun, I am cautiously hyped.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

I'm tentatively excited, that might just be the name Doom bringing back all the 90's nostalgia though. Do like the speed of the title, but think it could be a little more brutal based on the content so far. Also they removed weapon reloads for flow of the game but I kinda liked them in Brutal Doom. Maybe that was just me.

Read an article in the latest Edge too and they had some pretty cool concept art speaking of hellscapes, such as a giant Demon skeleton/corpse reaching out of the ground and I immediately thought "I'd love to fight demons around that".

I'll probably get a bit of fun from it at the very least, I am kinda hoping that it will be a modern popular classic FPS in terms of multiplayer too, but I doubt it after the Alpha. Maybe I let my rose tinted glasses get in the way and Quakeworld isn't as fantastic as I remember.

I agree with all of this except reloading. gently caress reloading.

Bisse posted:

I have read this book twice and nothing in it backs up anything you are saying about what happened post Doom 3. There is nothing in it about Rage, the Wolfenstein game, or who worked on any of those. In fact the book ends around the end of Doom 3's development and then segues into homemade rockets and broken down cars.

I am sorry but you do in fact not know jack poo poo, neither do I, but I trust someone who claims to have any sort of connection to the dev team at all more than I do some random human being on the internet who spouts complete conjecture and can't handle being doubted or critisized.

Everything I said about Id was pre Doom3 though. Doom3 was already where Id was not the same as it used to be. All I said about post Doom 3 Id is "the same people don't work there and the games have been technically impressive but overall pretty badly designed".

I don't see what's so controversial about that.

The only thing I said about the internals of Id was about the Romero / Carmack dynamic based on the Doom days, which is straight out of Masters of Doom.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"It was Carmack holding the studio together with his techno wizardry, and then a bunch of rotating new hires who worked on things like Doom 3, Wolfenstein (Blue Version), Rage, etc.

Which is why games like Rage don't seem to have great design or very coherent vision. But Carmack was such a wizard the games still did okay on their technical prowess."

How is that pre Doom 3? Are you travelling via TARDIS and mixing your timelines up?