Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ROFLburger posted:

wait so vega was secretly an rear end in a top hat?

Not so secret? He was your buddy but he wasn't exactly a saint.

And did you miss in the end of the campaign where he reconnected with the Makyr home-world? He says something like "Wait, Samuel, does this mean I was father?". He was always angel-tech AI.

That said, the dialogue, "You are here to restore order to my world" makes it sound more like we're helping Vega/Father to cleanse the Maykyr/Heaven dimension, more than fighting against him. So he's still not an rear end in a top hat.

That oil platform looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vega is probably just pissed that DoomGuy broke the seal in Urdak so now he's calling in a favor so the DoomGuy cleans up his mess.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, the dialogue, "You are here to restore order to my world" makes it sound more like we're helping Vega/Father to cleanse the Maykyr/Heaven dimension, more than fighting against him. So he's still not an rear end in a top hat.

Father using doomguy to restore order to "his world", yeah that should go over well

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
making vega the father and hayden a defecting maykr was really dumb retconning

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doom Eternal was really dumb retconning

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Yeahhh I'm not sure why they decided to get rid of a genuinely interesting and ambivalent character (Hayden) in favor of a Helpful Narration Angel. He's still got those "I know best and you'll do what I require" vibes but he was a lot more compelling as Elon Musk than the Archangel Samuel.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Doom eternals dumb story means more levels and setpieces are coming out this year, which means we get more doom eternal. Ergo, doom eternals story is good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

multijoe posted:

Doom Eternal was really dumb retconning

I call it Dumb Eternal

syke i dont care about the story its fine

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/Tenacious_Diaz/status/1291770711984484353

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1291816153128546304

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
so probably a new superheavy in the form of those demonized maykrs and some new blue fire buff as shown on the cyberdemon tyrant

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Vega is the sort of AI that helps you self destruct him and apologizes for the inconvenience. Sure he was the admin AI for Hayden's hell mining company in 2016, but his whole job was to be Anti-Shodan "Only a budget rate AI would betray you or get corrupted"

So things like "Vega was no saint" is kind of a stretch, without Eternal's retcons. Which still include details like "Yes I will help the Doom Guy shoot Mars like he wants" so that being a sign Vega Was Evil The Whole Time means no slayer you are the demons.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I think it might not actually be a joke that "Vega ignores 'haha AI are easily corrupted in fiction' and is here to handle your Bingo card when you kill demons with a sick kick flip" was the only part of the 2016-Eternal lore I truly and genuinley gave a poo poo about. Sure he nearly a non-character in 2016, but hey minimalist worked out great for Doom Guy in 2016 too. Which continued on with Eternal, where some of the most talked about parts of "Story good" is the Buddy AI dynamic moments where he just 'gets' doom guy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 7, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Section Z posted:

So things like "Vega was no saint" is kind of a stretch, without Eternal's retcons. Which still include details like "Yes I will help the Doom Guy shoot Mars like he wants" so that being a sign Vega Was Evil The Whole Time means no slayer you are the demons.

Again, you're going to likely be teaming up WITH Vega to cleanse his realm. He's not evil. You're entirely misreading what I meant when I said "he's no saint". Vega is decidedly NOT "evil the whole time" I don't know where you're getting that.

This is a way way way way too black/white look at the doom universe. "Well either you're satan or you're jesus" is not how this world works. Everybody is bloodstained.

He does not appear to be the antagonist, dude.

My point is just literally what those words mean, "he is no saint". All the Maykyr are not really angels just weird alien / otherdimensional beings. None of them are "pure" or "holy". That's all I was saying.

You're... totally misreading this. No, slayer is not the bad guy and neither is Vega. But also Slayer doesn't mind blowing poo poo up and neither does Vega. That's all. Jeeze.

Really took those words entirely out of context, like you read "he's no saint" and stopped reading the post to respond. Finish reading it lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Summoner is back. So we get an Archvile-type spawning enemy mixed with a Whiplash. Fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
oh poo poo i missed the ghost summoner

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna be interested to see how they differentiate the Summoner from the Archvile, and preemptively cussing a storm about a double battle with them

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hugo and Marty did a panel on Bethesda's QuakeCon stream. First off, here's a montage of developers wearing Slayer helmets set to what appears to be new music from the DLC...

Secondly, the next Master Level will be Super Gore Nest! It'll have optional challenges for cosmetic rewards, and a new twist or two beyond just "harder monsters"...

Thirdly, a new game mode is coming: Classic Mode. This strips you down to a Shotgun start and has you reassemble your arsenal as you progress through the level.

Invasion Mode is still coming, but it's been slowed down by working from home. It'll probably be an early-next-year thing.

Ranked Battlemode is coming, and it'll have its own set of seasonal cosmetic crap to unlock by kicking people's asses.

Switch port is still in the works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can see how the whiplash attacks were drawn from the summoner for Eternal with the enemy spawning given back to the archvile. My guess is that the summoner will only be able to pull in Imps and Gargoyles and maybe Hellraisers if they come back too, leaving the Archvile to summon bigger enemies. Also the summoner wouldn't have a flame shield like the Archvile.

Edit.

Shotgun definitely beats pistol starts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Kins posted:

Thirdly, a new game mode is coming: Classic Mode. This strips you down to a Shotgun start and has you reassemble your arsenal as you progress through the level.

ah gently caress man i think this is beyond my skills

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Classic Mode thing is only for the Super Gore Nest Master Level.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd be so down if they brought back the pistol specifically for a pistol-start mode. Then when you pick up the shotgun it just replaces your pistol for the rest of the level.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Where’s the arcade mode

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am stupidly excited for the Gore Nest Master Level and welcome more weird variations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Yeah this sounds pretty fun to me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

well why not posted:

Where’s the arcade mode

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hugo also spoiled that in the DLCs you will fight Samuel and find out who the leader of hell is.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idgaf about their name, just whether or not I can rip and tear those (assumedly) large guts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Hugo also spoiled that in the DLCs you will fight Samuel and find out who the leader of hell is.

good I want to finally wreck that rear end in a top hat

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So much for "every DLC will have you play a different character with different abilities".

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
They never said that. They description for the year 1 expansions originally said "new perspectives and new way to play", and people extrapolated from that, and made poo poo up like the internet always does.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It also included the phrase "standalone stories". And it's not like it was a nebulous "the internet", it was widely reported by pretty much every site. And Bethesda was more than happy to let that stand uncorrected.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack Trades posted:

Whoops, tautology!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

So much for "every DLC will have you play a different character with different abilities".

That sounds crazy to me, but I guess its what Wolfenstein did.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I felt like Wolfenstein TNC’s DLC fuckin sucked because yeah you played three characters, but you were still fighting the same dudes in the same hallways, only now each character possessed a small slice of the weapons and abilities that BJ ended up with by the end of the base game. There wasn’t anything new.

So I’m glad it doesn’t sound like they’re going that route, because $29.99 for another 2.5-3 hours of Wolfenstein TNC, only with less stuff at any given moment, was lame as hell.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm not sure I was even aware there was any significant DLC for Wolf TNC. I finished that game then kinda never really thought about it again.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/chriscrisis/status/1292115717341548547

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not gonna lie, Vinnie Jones as QuakeGuy is something I'd be down for.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jack Trades posted:

It's a fallen makyr named Saytyn

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's a fallen makyr named Saytyn

Lucyfyr

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Byyzylbyb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Mmmn