Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

give the ssg infinite ammo like in dmc but also make it hit like a limp noodle, as this is also true to dmc

dmc4/5 shotgun rips hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
woof now i definitely know you guys are on some bad poo poo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't know that the same person putting out the doom radio - beats to rip/tear to is the same guy working on the horde mode mod.

which by the way came out, so i'm gonna give it a shot

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

I didn't know that the same person putting out the doom radio - beats to rip/tear to is the same guy working on the horde mode mod.

which by the way came out, so i'm gonna give it a shot

oh poo poo that's cool lol, it'd be funny if the radio station came about because he wanted something to listen to while he worked on the mod

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TheGreySpectre posted:

I know.

You figure that out pretty early on in your first play through. Doesn't change the fact that I don't like the ammo mechanics of eternal. Please don't assume that because I don't like some of the mechanics I'm bad at the game.

I apologize for the assumption, but that was my experience in my first playthrough. I was hoarding the chainsaw for the first few levels when I should have been exploding enemies into piles of ammo to continue ripping and tearing with wild abandon. I went from disliking the small quantity of ammo to loving how much I was swapping weapons and changing up my attacking style based on the enemies that I encountered. I personally love the ammo system in eternal because it means that I get to use all of the weapons. Rockets aren't scarce, energy cells aren't scarce, they're just one chainsaw away for me to keep firing whatever I want whenever I want to.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be happy if they dialled back the micro with the grenade swapping and flame belch in a potential sequel, there's just a few too many buttons for a breakneck paced FPS to feel good and the flame belch itself is a Starcraft 2 tier button you have to press for the sake of pressing the button and could be ditched entirely without losing anything of value

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

chaosapiant posted:

Ammo pours out of enemies, and there always seemed to be enough unless you only want to play this using one weapon the whole time.

:yeah:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Id should team up with Platinum Games for the next Doom. If anything I want more fiddly mechanics and frame perfect bullshit. Been playing Character Action Games since DMC dropped. I bleed God Hand.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zushio posted:

Id should team up with Platinum Games for the next Doom. If anything I want more fiddly mechanics and frame perfect bullshit. Been playing Character Action Games since DMC dropped. I bleed God Hand.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nah I'd like a Doom game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Musou game but you play the slayer and Lu Bu is a demon.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

multijoe posted:

Nah I'd like a Doom game

:same:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

multijoe posted:

Nah I'd like a Doom game

Doom good, shotgun good, demon bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

Nah I'd like a Doom game

This is doom now, grandpa. Get with the times.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

multijoe posted:

I'd be happy if they dialed back the micro with the grenade swapping and flame belch in a potential sequel, there's just a few too many buttons for a breakneck paced FPS to feel good and the flame belch itself is a Starcraft 2 tier button you have to press for the sake of pressing the button and could be ditched entirely without losing anything of value

I will say that if there was just a single "shoulder attack" button that made things rain health and ammo, that would make me one glad Doomer.

Especially because they didn't give us a dedicated button for each type. We have "shoulder attack" and "swap" which clearly should have been "ice" and "fire." I get that maybe they wanted more types in development but we never got that so they should have changed it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 9, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

This is doom now, grandpa. Get with the times.

No, you're describing Devil May Cry.

I'd enjoy a game with more complex monster and level designs that require greater strategy from those perspectives, but Doom has always been a series about moving and shooting and I'd prefer a game which played to those strengths. Character action games are perfectly fine but not everything needs to be one and there's plenty enough room in the action genre for both styles of game to exist, especially when Doom is basically out there alone carrying the torch of 90s agility shooters all by itself in the AAA world and there's a whole stable of Japanese devs doing character action

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

No, you're describing Devil May Cry.

I'd enjoy a game with more complex monster and level designs that require greater strategy from those perspectives, but Doom has always been a series about moving and shooting and I'd prefer a game which played to those strengths. Character action games are perfectly fine but not everything needs to be one and there's plenty enough room in the action genre for both styles of game to exist, especially when Doom is basically out there alone carrying the torch of 90s agility shooters all by itself in the AAA world and there's a whole stable of Japanese devs doing character action

Err...[Citation Needed]
Because one of the big reasons why all spectacle fighter fans are swarming all over DOOM is because it's vaguely adjacent to a genre that otherwise has bloody nothing going for it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Err...[Citation Needed]
Because one of the big reasons why all spectacle fighter fans are swarming all over DOOM is because it's vaguely adjacent to a genre that otherwise has bloody nothing going for it.

You had Devil May Cry 5 and Astral Chain last year, a multiplatform re-release of Wonderful 101 this year and Bayonetta 3 most likely next year, there's plenty of genres getting far less than that in terms of high quality releases

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

You had Devil May Cry 5 and Astral Chain last year, a multiplatform re-release of Wonderful 101 this year and Bayonetta 3 most likely next year, there's plenty of genres getting far less than that in terms of high quality releases

That 1.5 development teams in total which I'm not sure counts as "a whole stable".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

That 1.5 development teams in total which I'm not sure counts as "a whole stable".

Okay, let's agree it's neither a whole stable nor bloody nothing but a steady stream of quality releases

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Id said that Ancient Gods is the last thing theyre doing with the Doom Eternal story in that release a couple weeks ago. Do they mean Doom Eternal as the game or are they referring to the Doom 2016-Eternal setting as a whole? Because I'd be sad if they didn't do more Doom stuff after Ancient Gods. At the very least let the WAD equivalents flow.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Hugo said that the two part story here wraps up the current storyline of the Slayer, Hayden, and that whole caboodle that started in '16, but they were looking at doing other stories in the universe and building on the whole thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Musou game but you play the slayer and Lu Bu is a demon.

Cao Cao, "I have slain 300 enemies!"

Doomguy, "That's all?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AirRaid posted:

Hugo said that the two part story here wraps up the current storyline of the Slayer, Hayden, and that whole caboodle that started in '16, but they were looking at doing other stories in the universe and building on the whole thing.

Quake 2024 confirmed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

multijoe posted:

Meaning that character action games come out slightly more frequently than theme park / zoo management games. Truly a boom.

Zushio posted:

We're already pretty close to DMC levels of complexity, but it's sure fun to think about things that could be copied further. For example, DMC4/V has Nero's gun Blue Rose. It allows for a charge, and once an enemy is hit with a fully charged bullet, there's a delay and then a small AOE explosion. Many players shuffle the controls around to allow for constant charging - moving the gun from a face button to a bumper, so it can be held while jumping around. The rhythm of charge, charge, shoot, wait, pop is really satisfying and would make for a great addition to DOOM. You'd tag a hater, then try to time your attacks with the pop for more efficient damage.

It'd be cool to have a gun that had the same charge shot / delayed explosion mechanic, and it'd be even cooler still if it had an alt fire you could use to enhance the primary's damage, like the purple goo from Borderlands 2. Leaning into the timing or debuff mechanics would be an interesting way to go.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I guess I just don't feel like doom needs to be a super complicated game.1994 Doom isn't a super complicated game and 2016 isn't a super complicated game and both of those are a ton of fun. I want to play doom, I don't want to play DMC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i like boomer shooters but even i recognize that there's only so much you can do with map design to stretch that simplicity out. I have no qualms with complicating the genre, and if people can't keep up there's generally more fpses like dusk or amid evil that come out than there are like ultrakill

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

well why not posted:

Meaning that character action games come out slightly more frequently than theme park / zoo management games. Truly a boom.

We're already pretty close to DMC levels of complexity, but it's sure fun to think about things that could be copied further. For example, DMC4/V has Nero's gun Blue Rose. It allows for a charge, and once an enemy is hit with a fully charged bullet, there's a delay and then a small AOE explosion. Many players shuffle the controls around to allow for constant charging - moving the gun from a face button to a bumper, so it can be held while jumping around. The rhythm of charge, charge, shoot, wait, pop is really satisfying and would make for a great addition to DOOM. You'd tag a hater, then try to time your attacks with the pop for more efficient damage.

It'd be cool to have a gun that had the same charge shot / delayed explosion mechanic, and it'd be even cooler still if it had an alt fire you could use to enhance the primary's damage, like the purple goo from Borderlands 2. Leaning into the timing or debuff mechanics would be an interesting way to go.

This sounds horrible and un-fun, sorry. Holding buttons while I jump around? Changing my controls for maximum finger-pain? Blue Roses?! No thanks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That stuff is 100% optional high level play. Most people don’t change controls they just mash x when the mood strikes. It’s cool to have high skill ceilings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Games with high skill ceilings are cool and good and they don't need to have a high skill floor either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
aye but what about shock combos in doom eternal, that would be cool

throw out the destroyer blade mod and make it a shock combo mod instead

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I was one of those DMC4 players who rebound Nero's Red Queen. I'm glad DMC4 has gone through the outrage cycle and is now considered a classic. Everyone was super down on it at release and now its usually considered the best alongside 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think DMCV is considered the best alongside 3...

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm fine with them being done with VEGA and Hayden, but I hope they have a replacement narrator or pair of narrators. The story telling has been something I've really enjoyed over the 90s doom games. I think the in particular the contrast of the narrator to doomguy's impatience has been great.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

TheGreySpectre posted:

I guess I just don't feel like doom needs to be a super complicated game.1994 Doom isn't a super complicated game and 2016 isn't a super complicated game and both of those are a ton of fun. I want to play doom, I don't want to play DMC.

Agreed. Doom (1994) weapons are optimal and balanced from the get go, no need to wait for mods to make them effective.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Szymanski posted:

Agreed. Doom (1994) weapons are optimal and balanced from the get go, no need to wait for mods to make them effective.

This, I think DE is a masterwork, but the reasons I like it are very different from what I like about doom, doom 2, doom 64, and (especially) doom wads.

Which is fine, plenty of people who love 2016 and eternal never touched doom and have no interest in that gameplay.

But it's also true that I don't want to boot up eternal as often because the combat loop is more complex, which demands a different mindset and mood (get it?) to enjoy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've always thought shotguns should behave pretty much like assault rifles, outputting just about the same number of total projectiles over time, and with close to the same accuracy, but the shotgun has the advantage of being able to output like 10-15 projectiles all at once for the cost of having to wait the time it would take to fire the assault rifle 10-15 times before you can take another shot.

Basically the shotgun should be an assault rifle but with high risk / high reward mechanics. If you have good aim, you get to instantly put all those rounds into one target right now with typical assault rifle burst fire accuracy. But if you miss, you have to wait out the reload before you get another shot.

Having said that, Doom's swap-weapon-to-skip-reloads mechanic is like my favorite thing ever so who knows. But for games where you can't Swap Reload I think shotguns should be a whole lot more accurate than their typical 160 degree video game cone of fire.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 15, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

TheGreySpectre posted:

Szymanski posted:

I agree with everything you're saying but Doom came out in 1993. :actually::eng101:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The complexity is welcome. The worst thing 2016 could’ve done is felt like Serious Sam or Painkiller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So here's the question. Will Doom Slayer finally get to pull the devil trigger at the end of the second dlc?