Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We can only pray not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nah, he's got a super mode already and it's called berserk

ADD: also seriously, if you guys want boomer shooters, how many fuckin low rent indie games aiming for that 90s nostalgia kick did they announce in that 3d realms stream? i swear it was nothing but them lol
and you wonder why i'd prefer some more complexity in a doom game, because tbh most of those games look generic as gently caress

and sgtmarkiv can still go gently caress himself and his extremely garbage literal brutal doom reskin

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 15, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

toasterwarrior posted:

ADD: also seriously, if you guys want boomer shooters, how many fuckin low rent indie games aiming for that 90s nostalgia kick did they announce in that 3d realms stream? i swear it was nothing but them lol
and you wonder why i'd prefer some more complexity in a doom game, because tbh most of those games look generic as gently caress

The problem with this is that "Classic" shooters very often completely miss the mark on what made those classic shooters good. It wasn't just balls to the wall hundreds of guys to shoot and moving fast. Sure Doom was gory for it's time and sure Doomguy moves at a million miles an hour but just recreating the handful of design features they remember does not make it feel like the good old games did. So you end up with a lot of junk.

Also yes, gently caress the trash pit that is brutal doom forever.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I played brutal doom a few years ago and I thought it was a weird and fun mod, I know that SgtMarkiv is a piece of poo poo but I dont get where the hate for brutal doom comes from, it’s an interesting twist for like an hour or two.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

The problem with this is that "Classic" shooters very often completely miss the mark on what made those classic shooters good. It wasn't just balls to the wall hundreds of guys to shoot and moving fast. Sure Doom was gory for it's time and sure Doomguy moves at a million miles an hour but just recreating the handful of design features they remember does not make it feel like the good old games did.

*cough* Serious Sam *cough*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

I played brutal doom a few years ago and I thought it was a weird and fun mod, I know that SgtMarkiv is a piece of poo poo but I dont get where the hate for brutal doom comes from, it’s an interesting twist for like an hour or two.

The problem is that a lot of games jouranlists and johnny-come-lately doomers suddenly started slinging around this "brutal doom is doomier than doom!" acting like its a complete replacement and the original game somehow is flawed and doesn't work in 2020 because its just so OLD so you need BRUTAL to FIX it.

You also see a lot of these people posting on the forums like "oh I played such map wad with brutal doom and it was bad or easy" or whatever and it gets old because obviously it wasn't designed for that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

nah, he's got a super mode already and it's called berserk

and sgtmarkiv can still go gently caress himself and his extremely garbage literal brutal doom reskin

There's ways to give games depth and complexity other than fiddly character action mechanics and it's kind of obnoxious to pretend anyone who isn't into them as much as you is some kind of nostalgic simpleton.

I'd like a Doom game with more elaborate enemy designs and levels with challenging geometry that aren't just largely interchangeable arenas, which I'm fairly happy in counting as 'complexity', I just don't want to have to deal with an control system you have to study to use correctly or a scoring system that moves the difficulty away from surviving the encounter at all to getting an SSS megacombo.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 15, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yeah no, my point is that if you want good takes on doom gameplay, there's probably some gems in that dross, along with noted good already-released stuff like dusk and amid evil. by all means fuckin play them; i have played the better ones from this resurgence and ive found out at a certain point it all blends together because there's only so much you can do with that old paradigm

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
There were a lot of terrible Doom clones back when Doom was recent as well.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

*cough* Serious Sam *cough*

I actually half wrote then deleted a second line about how there were some games that managed to be good while actually NOT specifically trying to ape classic games. Serious Sam and Painkiller were the two examples I had. Neither of which started as that, although you can draw some pretty heavy comparisons, because they share similar design elements. Crucially though, those things sit alongside other stuff which they do on their own, and as a whole package they work. It's the second part that lot of these new generic "OMG SO CLASSIC" shooters lack.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is that a lot of games jouranlists and johnny-come-lately doomers suddenly started slinging around this "brutal doom is doomier than doom!" acting like its a complete replacement and the original game somehow is flawed and doesn't work in 2020 because its just so OLD so you need BRUTAL to FIX it.
They're absolutely right.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Al-Saqr posted:

Because Project Brutality is better but Brutal Doom gets all the attention and sucks all the oxygen out of the room

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Russian Overkill is my "This WAD is beyond me, I shall render it to its constituent atoms" of choice.

Having been cruising through the WADs Bethesda included one thing I will say is Doom 5's gameplay loop isn't built for sprawling maps like youll get with these WADs, especially the BTSX 2 maps that just got added. While there is exploration, the need to have encounters be tightly and strictly defined means it doesn't work in a more freeform setup that these maps revel in.

Now after having written all of that, Doom 5 x Metroid Prime crossover mod when?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
did people also whine about quake having jumping and significantly more verticality when it came out, or is it the unspoken rule that when you want to iterate on what's possible with a style of gameplay, you should only do it with a new series

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

People whined that Quake was slower than Doom. Which was done for several technical reasons tied to the new 3D tech.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

toasterwarrior posted:

did people also whine about quake having jumping and significantly more verticality when it came out, or is it the unspoken rule that when you want to iterate on what's possible with a style of gameplay, you should only do it with a new series

Bring on more hyper-mobile shooters.

Tribes 4 Lyfe

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Doom 1993 works better than many of the generic boomer shooters because it's not just generic areas, the level design was interesting and varied. Likewise doom 2016 has interesting level and varied level design with enough new mechanics to keep it interesting. The generic feeling boomer shooters tend to put you in a one big box with enemies after another with nothing to really distinguish one box from the next except textures.

And again new mechanics aren't bad. Dash is a great addition to doom gameplay. I think the updated chainsaw mechanic with regenerating fuel could have been good if the weapons had a higher base ammo. Weapons should have started with about as much ammo as you get when their fully upgraded.

I want the focus to be moving and shooting in varied settings. I don't want to have to deal with doing an MMO rotation while shooting, that isn't my idea of fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Boomer shooters typically have varied enemies whereas newer ones only have the same enemies with varied weapons and maybe a turret section or two

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

toasterwarrior posted:

The internet was nowhere near as loud as it is now

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My (very limited at the time) perception was that people were generally still going "whoa" at the technological accomplishments that allowed verticality and jumping, but was mainly shat on for being another FPS and viewed as iD being unable to get away from doing doom clones.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The SP was crap (awesome music aside), the MP was all.

Seeing the game on a 3dfx for the first time was a singular moment in time though, tell you whut

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The first time I saw Quake I thought it was a horror game because of something about the box art, so I kinda avoided it for a bit. I played the crap out of Doom and Heretic and Dark Forces but Quake seemed like less my thing.

My mom's boyfriend ended up playing it with me and we blasted through the campaign in co-op and then payed a ton of QTF. I ended up buying it so I could play more Team Fortress.

I guess ultimately it was kinda like half-life in that even though I did enjoy the campaign and it was memorable, the game was more of an engine to play mods with to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think reconceptualizing the "mmo buttons" would do DOOM a big favor. You can replace flamethrower with the SSG hook completely from the start and both grenades could be put on different alt fires as well. Making them more natural parts of your arsenal. It might help sell those functions to boomer shooter players easier.

Additionally that would free those buttons for taunting and style switching or something.

Really hope that they keep refining the formula even more in the future. I need higher concentration of that poo poo right into my veins.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What we need is to add cover-based shooting mechanics to Doom

There is no way this will go wrong

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Vinylshadow posted:

only if doomguy uses other demons as the cover

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

only if doomguy uses other demons as the cover

A button to grab a live demon and use them as a temporary shield would own so hard. Imagine fighting a cyberdemon and grabbing the nearest hell knight to block a rocket volley

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
that feature is actually in brutal doom and im going to have to be not for it because it was a major sign of feature bloat in the mod

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

The carcass is right there, and he sucks

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

both grenades could be put on different alt fires as well.

I wasn't sure how much having both grenade types actually added. I liked the freeze grenade but I found myself not really using the frag grenade much. The functionality was similar enough to the sticky grenade that I found myself always just switching to the shotgun and using a sticky grenade instead of switching grenade types and using a frag. Especially since the frag has a CD to keep track of whereas the sticky grenade didn't. Personally I would axe the frag grenade and just have the sticky.

Are any of you using the frag that much?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Frag is that extra point of damage when you're already unloading your guns into something and you need it to go down right now. Also since its on a separate CD than the freeze there's no reason not to chuck one into the fray as a +1. Freeze is more useful to keep ready for if you're caught flat-footed by something e.g a snakey thing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I used frag a bunch on PC when I could bind everything so that it was actually convenient to reach/use. I never used frags on Xbox except by accident.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
frag is extremely powerful, the cluster bomb feature will take out a heavy if enough fodder is around it, but mainly the benefit is that it's a guaranteed flinch on anything. toss it at a mancubus and you have a window of opportunity to go for a blood punch and break an arm cannon/armor, which can be easier to do in certain situations over a quickscope

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Frag flinches demons when upgraded which lets you get close to a mancubus for a blood punch without them activating their aoe attack.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Initially I only used frags for dumping into a crowd of zombies or whatever that I just set on fire, so I could move on and come back to collect the giant pile of armor later. But I noticed that speed runners use it a to to flinch dangerous enemies and burn them down or go in for a blood punch safely. It's really helpful in the first couple of levels.

Frag > Blood Punch > Sticky on an arachnotron and Frag > spam stickies/precision bolt on a Hell Knight are lifesavers before you get the SSG/Ballista combo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tuo posted:

The carcass is right there, and he sucks
The Carcass is fun because he likes to generate shields right near enemies, and then you can pump the shields full of plasma and instagib those enemies.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Initially I only used frags for dumping into a crowd of zombies or whatever that I just set on fire, so I could move on and come back to collect the giant pile of armor later. But I noticed that speed runners use it a to to flinch dangerous enemies and burn them down or go in for a blood punch safely. It's really helpful in the first couple of levels.

Frag > Blood Punch > Sticky on an arachnotron and Frag > spam stickies/precision bolt on a Hell Knight are lifesavers before you get the SSG/Ballista combo.

I suppose I do use it in the early levels when weapons are limited.

If nothing else the grenade swap button feels extraneous, I wish I could just bind one button to ice grenade and 1 button to frag grenade esp as unlike weapon mods your only really limited by how fast you can hit the button.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 17, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kins posted:

The Carcass is fun

No

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Forget the Marauder. Carcass is the real demon mvp.

I can't help but laugh every time he fucks me over in the most spectacular way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
When Carcass is acting like a legitimate enemy, then you can dust off the destroyer blade and slice him in half through anything he puts up for a nice bit of variety :buddy:

Not so much when you gotta trundle over to a bounce pad to deal with mister wallhax shield spawning them through terrain with no line of sight, as indicated by the little energy trail :v:

At least when the Marauder hides behind his shield, it's because he is looking right at you and getting shot at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Carcass is my friend who keeps giving me free plasma explosions to help kill the other demons :)