Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think that the carcass is a good addition to the game and a good enemy, but I also hate them so much that if I saw a button labeled “delete all carcasses forever” I would blood punch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There’s something smug and hateful about a carcass. Like a demon nerd.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The thing I hate most is their spinny knockback melee attack that stuns you for like half a second so you can't retaliate immediately, and if you don't move away the instant the knockback/stun wears off he'll do it to you again and again

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

General Battuta posted:

I think that the carcass is a good addition to the game

HELL NOOOO....

General Battuta posted:

but I also hate them so much that if I saw a button labeled “delete all carcasses forever” I would blood punch it.

OOOOO......eh....yes! YES!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really want ID to let me put the dumb skins on the enemies in SP, is there a mod that does this?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The thing I hate most is their spinny knockback melee attack that stuns you for like half a second so you can't retaliate immediately, and if you don't move away the instant the knockback/stun wears off he'll do it to you again and again

The thing I hate the most is their nerd faces. It makes the spinny knockback melee all the more infuriating.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

General Battuta posted:

The thing I hate the most is their nerd faces. It makes the spinny knockback melee all the more infuriating.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Donovan Trip posted:

I really want ID to let me put the dumb skins on the enemies in SP, is there a mod that does this?

The would be fantastic. I really hop that becomes an option at some point.

I don't mind carcasses. I just use them as explosion generators. Marauders are the only enemy I would mash the delete forever button for, but I would mash it so hard.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DLC should pair two Marauders with eight Carcasses as a challenge.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Hitting a carcass'es shield with a BFG shot should make the explosion bigger.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I find the wiplashes most annoying. Marauders are annoying, but with the SSG they're alright to deal with. Most of the other heavy demons can be killed with liberal application of mobile turret.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I find the wiplashes most annoying. Marauders are annoying, but with the SSG they're alright to deal with. Most of the other heavy demons can be killed with liberal application of mobile turret.

I freeze whiplashes when possible. Otherwise I find lock on rockets work pretty well. Then again lock on rockets work pretty well on most things.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TheGreySpectre posted:

I free whiplashes when possible.

It's a nice sentiment but I'm too lazy to go get a cup and piece of paper, it's easier to just squish them imo. Plus they're adapted to living indoors and would just die outside anyway.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's a nice sentiment but I'm too lazy to go get a cup and piece of paper, it's easier to just squish them imo. Plus they're adapted to living indoors and would just die outside anyway.

If you leave them alone Whiplashes will take care of alot of other demons around the house for you, just let them have a little corner of the ceiling to hunt

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have seen surprisingly little discussion of the new enemies in Doom Eternal which makes me assume people thought they were well designed for the most part.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Linguica posted:

I have seen surprisingly little discussion of the new enemies in Doom Eternal which makes me assume people thought they were well designed for the most part.

Are you joking?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh yeah, I beat this game last month, my official review. This game is a triumph! Lord it rocked. So tis another game that is a bit divisive and whatnot but just really really up my alley. All hail id, this is the sort of FPS adventure my High School self demanded. And my 30s self found it quite cool. But I also loved Doom3.

Anyways, I love speculating and hyping these studios games that take years and years. So I'm now officially getting hyped for id's next game. I hope it's a new ip (cooler than Rage) that will he like the Daikatana of modern id games. By that I just mean a big ambitious wild new IP that goes for it. And hopefully it makes us it's betrothed etc. I'd marry id.

drat they're good. But I digress. Talk about a dev that is almost entirely new people, but really does the old legacy proud. So here's to the next id epic in 4 years or whatever, sleep well knowing it's coming.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I believe I finally nailed down why I think Marauders are bad enemy design, and it also explains why Doom works as well as it does in general.

Doom is and has always been about the player vs the room. Not enemy or even group of enemies, but specifically the room you’re in right now and the enemy placement and composition within that room, as features of that room.

Every good Doom Room has a memorable design and layout, and good and well thought out enemy placement and composition which results in the player having to think in terms of environment navigation and threat engagement. It’s never just “how do I kill that thing?” because the answer has always been “shoot it until it dies.” Rather, it’s “how do I use this environment to kill these enemies as quickly as possible while taking as little damage as possible?” which of course is how most every shooter works but Doom gets it right in a way that has kept people playing the same series for 30 years.

The Marauder changes the entire formula. It is such a dangerous threat that it demands not just a lot of your attention, but 100% of it until it is dead. It reduces Doom from being a game about enemy group management and environmental transversal to the player being forced to engage entirely in a one on one standoff with this enemy where every single move you make is a reaction to it rather than the other way around. Forget about the rest of the game entirely until the Marauder has been overcome. Forget about leveraging your environment. Just stand there on a flat plane and play what is effectively whack-a-mole against green eyes. You can resume playing Doom once this is over.

So yeah. The Marauder is bad because it turns the game into something else much less fun than Doom.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 19, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i dispute the notion that the marauder demands all your attention when the most infamous marauder encounter in doom eternal, imo, is the part right after recovering the crucible hilt in taras nabad, where you face off against multiple pressure heavies: a cacodemon, a dread knight, a cybermancubus, a whiplash, two prowlers, and respawning ranged fodder, culminating in the marauder spawning in with 3 or so heavies remaining. the marauder, if anything, is the least dangerous enemy in that fight and most of it will be chasing down the remaining heavies to kill them before finally killing the marauder

there's also the marauder fight in the parking garage in master level arc complex where you are fighting a marauder with like 5 respawning gargoyles and the latter is the real danger in that fight because it's real easy to dodge and kite the marauder

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Beating marauders is a rush, just focus all your hate onto him.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

i dispute the notion that the marauder demands all your attention

It’s complete nonsense, some people have just spent way too much time trying to rationalize their Marauder hate

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

multijoe posted:

Are you joking?
I mean visual design. I am ignoring whining by back seat game designers.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Linguica posted:

I mean visual design. I am ignoring whining by back seat game designers.

Oh there was discussion on that too. Doom Eternal designs being a little more cartoony and vibrant in comparison to 2016, but then it was decided it was because they were trying to bring back doom classic's aesthetic, like the return of blue flasks and giant med packs.

If it's complaints it's back seat game designers, but if it's praise, is it the same thing? Because as angry as the Marauder made me, in terms of fighting him with other monsters instead of 1v1, the general idea I think was to find the threats and deal with them systematically, instead of just shooting whatever's in front of you. Marauders are now cool and good in my opinion

gently caress the purple goo though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm sure Hugo's considered making an arena with 2 Marauders, purple goo, and a limited ability to use the meathook to pull yourself out of the goo via putting fodder above the arena

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Y'all listen to this fuckin incredibly dope Doom metal remix thing. It's like the only Doom metal remix thing that doesn't sound like it was made by dream theater nerds

https://m.soundcloud.com/charoneclipse7/the-phobos-reanimation

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Also mark my fuckin words I'mma make the first actually good thrash remix of Into Sandy's City with all my COVID spare time. Toxx- three months from today I will post a link to a rough mix.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Also mark my fuckin words I'mma make the first actually good thrash remix of Into Sandy's City with all my COVID spare time. Toxx- three months from today I will post a link to a rough mix.

Hell yeah looking forward to it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GreatGreen posted:

I believe I finally nailed down why I think Marauders are bad enemy design, and it also explains why Doom works as well as it does in general.

Doom is and has always been about the player vs the room. Not enemy or even group of enemies, but specifically the room you’re in right now and the enemy placement and composition within that room, as features of that room.

Every good Doom Room has a memorable design and layout, and good and well thought out enemy placement and composition which results in the player having to think in terms of environment navigation and threat engagement. It’s never just “how do I kill that thing?” because the answer has always been “shoot it until it dies.” Rather, it’s “how do I use this environment to kill these enemies as quickly as possible while taking as little damage as possible?” which of course is how most every shooter works but Doom gets it right in a way that has kept people playing the same series for 30 years.

The Marauder changes the entire formula. It is such a dangerous threat that it demands not just a lot of your attention, but 100% of it until it is dead. It reduces Doom from being a game about enemy group management and environmental transversal to the player being forced to engage entirely in a one on one standoff with this enemy where every single move you make is a reaction to it rather than the other way around. Forget about the rest of the game entirely until the Marauder has been overcome. Forget about leveraging your environment. Just stand there on a flat plane and play what is effectively whack-a-mole against green eyes. You can resume playing Doom once this is over.

So yeah. The Marauder is bad because it turns the game into something else much less fun than Doom.

You're fighting marauders wrong (the tooltip is very misleading). If you keep the marauder at a distance it will leave itself vulnerable with a lunge attack, which you can punish pretty easily. Its long range attack isn't too bad to dodge, and it'll usually only use 1-2 of those before charging you. You can never ignore the maurauder (just as you can never ignore an archvile), but it doesn't lock you into place and it doesn't stop you from running around the arena like a madman blowing demons up as you run past.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Heavy Metal posted:

I hope it's a new ip (cooler than Rage) that will he like the Daikatana of modern id games.
Oh man you just reminded me that there was a Zelda-style port of Daikatana to Gameboy Color

Who owns the IP now? Id could probably buy it super cheap and make a joke game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How it feels to reload guns in shooters after playing doom eternal:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamePhysics/comments/ivy5db/doom_eternal_the_slowest_reload_in_the_west/

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been starting to replay this after months away, finding all the secrets and collectables, and I'm pretty sloppy. Just now I finished the Doom Hunter Labs; everything was going well in the second half of that last fight, I had the last Hunter on the ropes so I thought I'd use the Super Shotgun hook to finish it all stylishly. . . while I was surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Right when I was about to fire I got killed - I had a 1-up, so I still wound up winning, but that irked me quite a bit. This is still on Hurt Me Plenty, mind. Having all that time to let the whole gameplay loop fully sink in, Eternal's still a really good game at its core. Still really tense, but not as tense as my first time playing. (Certainly not as intense as playing ULTRAKILL now). I'm really interested to see how the DLC is going to expand things story and gameplay wise.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1308028874962337793

e: Better article

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom Slayer to headline next Killer Instinct???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1lgwMMOrc

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I am missing a collectible near the end of Nekravol part 2 but it looks like it's stuck somewhere where I can't fast travel to it.

If I try to jump down to it from the final part of the level I just take health damage and get teleported back. The next closest fast travel point is Soul Converter and it puts me all the way at the bottom with no way back up. Am I just screwed on this run?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it the praetor token near the top of the tower? You need to jump down to the side and hit the climbing wall under the chains I think.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I just got it, I'm a dummy. Thanks.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I thought the enemy design of almost all the new enemies in eternal was great. My feelings are little mixed on trivializing cacodemons by shooting a grenade in their mouth. It was cool at first but to me it got stale and felt a little gimmicky pretty quick. It's not bad per se I just don't think it was good either. Marauders are the only enemy related thing I think was actively bad but that's already been discussed to death. Environment wise I don't think Purple goo really added anything, but it could have also been that it just that it wasn't used effectively, it certainly didn't add to any encounter.

I do miss doom 2016 barons of hell. I'm not sure that they really would have actually added anything gameplay wise, but I did like them as enemies, I wish they would have been thrown into the mix alongside eternal barons and tyrants.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Barons in 2016 are the best looking demons in the series, hands down. Not that they stand a chance against a siege mode gauss cannon, mind you.

J kinda like the collectibles and secrets better in 2016. Commander Keen's skull in Hell was funny and the collectibles were a lot harder to get to and the retro levels were a fun change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cacodemons becoming floating health/armor dispensers isn't really a bad thing

They can tear through your health and armor if you don't get rid of them, because their lunge and bite can sneak up on you faster than you'd think