Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The difficulty is way overtuned. I'm playing on the 2nd easiest difficulty and level 3 feels as hard as Nightmare. That's not a compliment.

id software have taken so much pride in how hard they've made their game that they forgot that not every single person who plays video games is a professional streamer who has 50 hours a week to practice twitch aiming. It was kinda novel at first but by the third level It's becoming kinda grating. Crazy difficulty is fine for people who want to play Nightmare or whatever but in the lower difficulties they need to ease off a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean its verging on Blood levels of dickishness. I kinda love it, but my main issue is thst fights drag on a bit too long without wave checkpoints.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The story is extremely bad

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Anybody finish yet? About how long is it for your average UV playthrough?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I played the first level on Ultra Violence. When shield zombies and husks spawned before this, I thought, cool, thanks for giving me stuff to explode. Not here :gonk:

The music doesn’t let up, hard to know when you have a breather. There is non-combat music, but it was barely different.

In the last area, there’s a “2-up” item clearly visible and behind some locked doors. I thought I’d come back for it after doing the last arena, but there didn’t seem to be a way back. The only fast travel point is in the final arena, and the elevator that takes you there seems one-way. The way you originally entered the area was through a cutscene, so you can’t go that way either. Kind of sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You have to dive back into the water. There's an opening you can swim up to to get back inside and snag the 2up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finished first level, it loving owned so much. Difficulty continues up from the end of the main game and I wouldn't want it any other way.

It's just unfortunate that the "plot twist" presented in that first level was the least surprising thing sever. Also shame that you can't punch the shark.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean its verging on Blood levels of dickishness. I kinda love it, but my main issue is thst fights drag on a bit too long without wave checkpoints.

Some fights as you go start to have checkpoints. The Double Marauder for instance is a checkpoint before they do the rest of the Noah's Arc battle, and I could have sworn the capstone fights in Map 2 have them as well.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
First level down on nightmare, that was at least as hard as any of the master levels.

Devs should have gone full troll and taken out the checkpoint after the double marauders in the final fight.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Dpulex posted:

nah. It's cool.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Im happy I tried the horde mode out on nightmare before this cause god drat this isn't loving around.

1/2 through the first level and I have gotten my rear end handed to me more than a few times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yestermoment posted:

nah. It's cool.

I mean if this is what constitutes "extremely bad" then I'm curious what would be considered a good FPS story. Its not like everything can be Wolfenstein The New Order.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean if this is what constitutes "extremely bad" then I'm curious what would be considered a good FPS story. Its not like everything can be Wolfenstein The New Order.

I mean, after Mr. Intern saying what he said, I half expected Daisy to be brought back from the dead. But gently caress you, Hayden. I AM GOING TO KILL THE LORD OF HELL, WHO IS AN EVIL VERSION OF ME! is an acceptable cheesy alternative.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
finally beat that final boss, thanks to actually eating dinner beforehand. i actually did it first try after dinner, thanks clam chowder

first mission is absolutely fantastic and a constant thrill of doom eternal combat that i love

second mission is them mixing up the combat with new environmental entities and gimmicks, still pretty good. the "boss battle" is ok; tip is to learn to quickswitch your hitscan weapons to break the weakpoints very quickly, and to save your blood punches and ice bomb for pinky rushdowns

third mission is the tough part with id say about 2-3 encounters that had me sweatin' and ragin'. off the top of my head i would say the bridge fight right before the end is Super hosed because of the layout; yeah it dumps multiple super heavies on you but tbh you would've been able to kite them easy if it weren't for the area. slayer gate sucked rear end (along with the buff totem marauder fight) because of reasons i will explain later, but also because im not a fan of the new maykr enemy because, like with marauders, gently caress invulnerability phases on enemies, when i wanna dump on them, i wanna dump on em

the final boss battle (namely the final phase) is an escalating disaster: the first phase is mostly fine except for those annoying static orbs that take way too much damage and barely show their AOE, the second phase is tough but manageable as long as you focus down the right enemy (hint: it's the one with the projectiles), the third phase is a breather, and the final phase is a complete loving stupid mess with way too much going on and is basically why stagger is such a key component of doom eternal combat

the only thing i can say is to use the bfg, tag both of the fuckers as much as possible (maintain LOS from the bfg ball to them and shoot into the far distance to prolong the zappy time), maybe take the bonus life rune and the air slomo rune, make sure you're topped up on cell ammo, and also remember that possessed enemies take very little damage from the ballista. i legit tried my best at no-bfging this phase since that's my thing with this game, but it's loving impossible; without the ballista and because of the enemies' manic speed, along with the terrain leading to plenty of blind turns and corners to get trapped in (staying up top leaves you insanely open), you have very little space to use lock-on rockets or whatever to actually mount effective dps. it's a terrible loving fight and whoever let it release the way it did absolutely lost the thread on why doom eternal's combat is fantastic; straight up bed of chaos level bad

the story is amazingly dumb and i love both the real twists, which are not the obvious ones. spoiler: doomslayer is the one who betrays sam (pre-emptive betrayal, perhaps) and Evil Doomslayer (lets go bot deathmatch for the next dlc)

8/10? or maybe 7.5/10, fuckin whatever. patch that final fight, it loving sucks

two final things i love, spoilers:

1) intern, you're a nerd but a good dude. keep it up, buddy
2) DOOG ETERNAL

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i forgot to write out the thing about marauders. well, here goes:

for mission two, spoilers:

the buff totem marauder is loving broken, and illustrates part of why i really dislike marauders even up to now. he barely even green-flash attacked because he was too loving fast; instead, he would just dash right into my grill and fire off a near-instant shotgun blast. like 4 out of 5 times he would be at the right range i would expect him to do a green-flash melee attack, he'd just dash in and shotgun me, which meant i had barely any opportunity to get offense in. it was so dumb i legit thought it was a puzzle fight where i had to break the totem first, but apparently this wasnt the case lol

for mission three, slayer gate (there's a marauder in it, whatever):

in case you didnt know, enemy projectiles trigger the marauder's shield, and therefore can cause him to spawn dogs as well as raise his shield almost constantly. this slayer gate also has maykr drones as fodder, and as you may be able to surmise, this means that your duel with the marauder is constantly being disrupted by them spamming bolts at you as you try to fight the rear end in a top hat

marauders are still busted in unfun ways at times, i will stand by this

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Poor Sam Hayden, he's just Exposition-Bot 9000 now

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just did the Marauder with Totem in cage, and it was fine but Im on HMP. His green eyes aren't necessary as far as I can tell audio cue, green eyes, or dash all seem to work to get the stun.

Edit: It took me an embarassingly long time to realize lockon attacks don't work on spirit buffed enemies

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 21, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think he's vulnerable during the whole melee attack animation and the green eyes don't actually appear until the middle of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i swear someone's going to find tech that makes the final fight so much easier, like maybe the microwave beam ignores the added toughness from possession or something so you can dump the same amount of damage into the two demons that would bring their non-possessed versions close to microwave insta-death to make it go faster

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I think he's vulnerable during the whole melee attack animation and the green eyes don't actually appear until the middle of it.

I actually just realized this with the DLC. Especially during his long swing attack, he is vulnurable for a very, very long time. Never noticed this in the original.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
This has been a fantastic thrill-ride but now suddenly I'm confronted with what seems to be an unwinnable situation at what I can only assume is the end of the DLC. Jesus loving christ.

edit: Yep, that sure was the end. And I don't think I've ever been more discouraged by a boss fight. I love 90% of this DLC but the Ghostbusters poo poo is dumb.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 21, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Done. I dropped to HMP in the last map because yeah, I'm not very good at Doom.

I think my main complaint is the same as others, that some arenas just go on for too long, but then again, I really loved the "seriously?"-feeling I had with every new wave spawning in. Also the final boss, yeah.

Some encounters I think they went a bit overboard with "let's throw in as much frustrating stuff as possible", but overall a really good DLC.

I hope that they don't up the difficulty too much again for the next one, because that will then definitely be way out of my league, I fear.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I wasn't in love with Eternal but I bought the DLC anyway cause I lack self control. I like the first level so far but my main complaint is still that all the encounters just become very samey since you always have the same resources at hand at all times and the same old tactics work over and over again. The combat is more intense than any other game I can think of and the rush of playing it is quite addictive which is good but it still feels like it's totally missing the atmosphere that I would associate with a Doom game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Dpulex posted:

I agree, but I also kind of love how dumb the ending is.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Just finished the 2nd level of the DLC.

The cube boss fight completely loving sucks rear end and anybody who says it's fun in this thread is an id shill. What a tedious load of horse poo poo.

It wasn't the most interesting fight visually, but it was mechanically very clear even if I was mostly doing hook-loops around the arena . Which after invisible loving Whiplashes, buffed totem Marauders , the can't see poo poo fight I was pretty much dreading what evil poo poo awaiting me, so it felt pretty cathartic after a pretty stacked map to be pretty straight forward.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I have one and a half playthroughs of the og campaign, one full HMP and then half on UV and I foolishly thought I could just start this on UV too :gonk:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

i swear someone's going to find tech that makes the final fight so much easier, like maybe the microwave beam ignores the added toughness from possession or something so you can dump the same amount of damage into the two demons that would bring their non-possessed versions close to microwave insta-death to make it go faster
I think you're not really off the mark with this - the microwave beam stuns possessed enemies, and gives you an idea of how much health they have left. What I was trying to do in my later attempts was soften up the enemies, then trying to wait till I actually had some room to suck up the spirit.

Something that was throwing me off is it sometimes felt like possessed enemies were healing or something? I could get the blade dude into stagger if I unloaded several volleys of rockets into him in quick succession, other times it felt like it took tons of damage to get them to stagger if I was playing hit and run.

toasterwarrior posted:

i forgot to write out the thing about marauders. well, here goes:

for mission two, spoilers:

the buff totem marauder is loving broken, and illustrates part of why i really dislike marauders even up to now. he barely even green-flash attacked because he was too loving fast; instead, he would just dash right into my grill and fire off a near-instant shotgun blast. like 4 out of 5 times he would be at the right range i would expect him to do a green-flash melee attack, he'd just dash in and shotgun me, which meant i had barely any opportunity to get offense in. it was so dumb i legit thought it was a puzzle fight where i had to break the totem first, but apparently this wasnt the case lol

for mission three, slayer gate (there's a marauder in it, whatever):

in case you didnt know, enemy projectiles trigger the marauder's shield, and therefore can cause him to spawn dogs as well as raise his shield almost constantly. this slayer gate also has maykr drones as fodder, and as you may be able to surmise, this means that your duel with the marauder is constantly being disrupted by them spamming bolts at you as you try to fight the rear end in a top hat

marauders are still busted in unfun ways at times, i will stand by this
I didn't find that level 2 one all that bad, and this is coming from someone who very much hated Marauders in the base game.
The level 3 one, I dont know if I ran into the problem you describe, but just having the drones constantly pelting you made it really hard to fight the marauder so I was constantly trying to run away for health which made things tough.

That said the Marauder can still be a complete fuckhead who will spawn his dog even when you're in the right range.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So as someone who's only played the game on UV I'd be good to go for the DLC then?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

So as someone who's only played the game on UV I'd be good to go for the DLC then?

Might have to drop a difficulty level or brush up on your rip and tearing but yeah.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Intern is the best character in this franchise, easily edging out "insane power mad mars base scientist" and "insane power mad mars base scientist"

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

UV feels like the perfect balance of give and take. My only wish for this game is that dead bodies or some gibs stayed on the ground so I could look back at the trail of destruction.

Also lol at whoever is in charge of releasing skins for this game, they should be fired

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I just finished the first slayer gate, and that end was :discourse:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Boss fight is just misery, do not care for it. I would wager 90% of my deaths in the run are the final phase of this rear end in a top hat and unlike all my other deaths it did not feel invigorating to try again.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Leyburn posted:

The combat is more intense than any other game I can think of and the rush of playing it is quite addictive which is good but it still feels like it's totally missing the atmosphere that I would associate with a Doom game.

This sums up Eternal for me tbh. Looking forward to tearing into the DLC at some point tho!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

Final Boss fight is just misery, do not care for it. I would wager 90% of my deaths in the run are the final phase of this rear end in a top hat and unlike all my other deaths it did not feel invigorating to try again.

:same: that's why I'm a bit afraid they'll tune it up another notch with the next part. That won't be for me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pt.2 will feature spirit possessed marauder. You just lose because they never let their guard down.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If we can't Glory Kill the final boss in Part II in various different ways, I will be very disappointed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Pt.2 will feature spirit possessed marauder. You just lose because they never let their guard down.

Doesn't matter. They can't guard two things at once. It's the fastest way to beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
For those who've played the DLC already, I'm curious if id's efforts to make the microwave beam relevant have elevated it to "good enough to swap between Heat Blast and Microwave Beam" or "necessary enough that it becomes your primary/only mod for the duration of the game"

I suspect it's closer to the latter