Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I never really bothered with heat blast and am just generally bad at juggling weapon mods, but the microwave beam is absolutely needed for dealing with spirits.

Spirits aren't absurdly common that you won't be able to use heat blast / keep microwave on all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Doom Eternal DLC1 is all the worst parts of Doom Eternal turned up to 11. Invisible walls everywhere, endless arena waves, aggressively stupid and self-serious Lore, overreliance on breaking weak points, meme fights, different kinds of monster buffs, tuneless chugging guitar riffs, seemingly interminable map length, annoying glitches. Level 3 by itself killed nearly all interest I had for DLC2. I am tired of this gimmicky treadmill of layering additional superheavy monsters and monster buffs and it seems like that's the extent of what id Software wants to do with the Doom franchise nowadays. Oh also the humans were easily the least visually impressive part of Doom Eternal and I can't understand why they decided to put more of them front and center.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 21, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The regular humans don't really look that great which is a shame because Olivia Pierce looked amazing on 2016.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Linguica posted:

Doom Eternal DLC1 is all the worst parts of Doom Eternal turned up to 11. Invisible walls everywhere, endless arena waves, aggressively stupid and self-serious Lore, overreliance on breaking weak points, meme fights, different kinds of monster buffs, tuneless chugging guitar riffs, annoying glitches. Level 3 by itself killed nearly all interest I had for DLC2. I am tired of this gimmicky treadmill of layering additional superheavy monsters and monster buffs and it seems like that's the extent of what id Software wants to do with the Doom franchise nowadays. Oh also the humans were easily the least visually impressive part of Doom Eternal and I can't understand why they decided to put more of them front and center.

this is the review i was expecting even though i was hoping for better

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It’s cool that Id found a way to put us all in the game.

I unironically love this dude.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s cool that Id found a way to put us all in the game.

I unironically love this dude.

He's not even getting paid for this poo poo, he's just all in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

For those who've played the DLC already, I'm curious if id's efforts to make the microwave beam relevant have elevated it to "good enough to swap between Heat Blast and Microwave Beam" or "necessary enough that it becomes your primary/only mod for the duration of the game"

I suspect it's closer to the latter

Only managed to beat the first level on nightmare so far but the heat blast is still #1 for me. I'm kind of biased because I tend to use the plasma rifle as my "main" weapon and heat blast is a much better general use mod than the microwave beam, but this DLC seems especially geared for it with shield enemies all over the place. The base game appeared to treat shield grunts as if they were at least a real enemy albeit a weak one, for the DLC they're thrown in all over the place as just another fodder enemy to be chainsawed. The mobs are large enough that being able to heat blast a huge clump of enemies to kill/stagger them all is still generally more useful than locking down and slowly killing a single target, though I haven't run into the spirit enemies yet so maybe it will be necessary for those specifically. I don't know what they are or what they do that requires the microwave beam, generally I'll use the lock-on rockets if there's a single dangerous enemy that needs to be dealt with immediately.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

toasterwarrior posted:

and also remember that possessed enemies take very little damage from the ballista
Is this, uh, mentioned anywhere while playing?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

He's not even getting paid for this poo poo, he's just all in.

Honestly I’d be in favor of an SFM video on the process of him being picked as an intern being made canon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Linguica posted:

Is this, uh, mentioned anywhere while playing?

codex

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

You sure? I looked at my Twitch VOD where I first met a Spirit and looked at the codex.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That might make a bit more sense why I was having particular trouble with them some times.

It's also kind of dumb.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The new enemy kinda sucks rear end.

Gee another enemy I can't damage until it randomly decides to allow me to. Cool.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreatGreen posted:

The new enemy kinda sucks rear end.

Gee another enemy I can't damage until it randomly decides to allow me to. Cool.

Yeah I don’t like an enemy that absolutely requires a precision shot. Everything else with a weakness can still be attacked conventionally, it’s just harder, barring a blood punch or a chainsaw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont like summoners only being damaged by the microwave beam. Sure other enemies have resistances to certain weapons but they still take damage from all sources.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I can't believe Doomguy was the demons all along.

Bad Doomguy, that is. That's some impressive shoehorning of memes into a tripe-A videogame.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People have been musing about another Doomguy being a bad guy - usually the Doom (3) Marine as a Marauder for a while now, so...

Also, you can Microwave Beam possessed demons to bring out the spirit faster

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

People have been musing about another Doomguy being a bad guy - usually the Doom (3) Marine as a Marauder for a while now, so...

Also, you can Microwave Beam possessed demons to bring out the spirit faster

It really is too bad they couldn't make him a zombie to perfect the reference, but that probably wouldn't make for as impressive an antagonist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theres also a John zombie slayer skin. It could work.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Still not finished, but putting empowered demons in the challenges is a lil' dickish. Although the challenges feel easier so far.

e: also, I swear everytime I blow up the first gun on a mancubus, the one opposite from the side I hit with the grenade explodes. Is it just me?

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 21, 2020

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Also I noticed I got an Empowered Whiplash Spectre, which, uh, thank you for the outline?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh god Whiplash spectres? what the gently caress man

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
guess what

you can't use lock on rockets on them until you freeze or blood punch them into visibility

can't remember if the flame belch also works

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Empowered Buff Totem Possessed Spectre Marauder (with outlines disabled) :unsmigghh:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

e: also, I swear everytime I blow up the first gun on a mancubus, the one opposite from the side I hit with the grenade explodes. Is it just me?

Yes! This has driven me crazy since release as well.

Finished the DLC on UV and I'm a fan. Takes everything fun about the combat system and just does it...more. I get the complaints about enemies only being vulnerable to a specific thing, but to be honest I really like that so much of the new mechanics revolve around not letting you rely on the tricks that worked in the base game.

It would be boring if it was just a few hours of more Master level encounters on new maps. Instead, I'm excited to go back on nightmare and figure out the best way to deal with the new stuff, and to see what the streamers and speed runners do with these encounters.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Hey so I accidentally bought a Bethesda key for the DLC but I have the game on Steam, is there any way to make that work? I'm at work right now so I can't test in my Bethesda launcher. Greenmangaming is refusing to refund me because "the key was revealed to me already." Alternatively, anyone want to buy a Bethesda key for the Doom Eternal Year One pass at 25 bucks instead of the normal price of 29.99?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

caldrax posted:

Hey so I accidentally bought a Bethesda key for the DLC but I have the game on Steam, is there any way to make that work? I'm at work right now so I can't test in my Bethesda launcher. Greenmangaming is refusing to refund me because "the key was revealed to me already." Alternatively, anyone want to buy a Bethesda key for the Doom Eternal Year One pass at 25 bucks instead of the normal price of 29.99?

the DLC is a standalone expansion so you should be able to register it, if you don't mind having the game split over two launchers

no refunds is standard practice for key sites since there's usually no way for them to tell if you've used the key or for them to revoke it

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I made a little fuss and they're giving me store credit, so I'll live with that... Eh.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I always thought a lot of people complaining about Doom Eternal were being big babies about really dumb things and I still do but... man. Spirits were really not a good idea jesus christ. Take one of the main things people complain about in the game (mandated weapon weaknesses and useless weapon alt-fires) and make an enemy that is literally immune to everything but the worst alt-fire in the entire game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's good, actually. It forces you to make different decisions about target priority. Do you try to burst down the possessed enemy to get it off the board, and risk having to do the ghost buster dance with all the other enemies breathing down your neck, or do you try to clear the room a bit first, even though that means kiting a souped up enemy that can't be staggered? It's the same Marauder mechanic on steroids.

Proxy rockets and frag grenades can buy you a lot of space to zap the ghost, and you can also break off the microwave beam and then resume zapping it if you need to quickly reposition.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Making the spirit vulnerable to other weapons but still require focused fire for a while to kill would achieve the exact same result without mandating that I use an awful weapon just long enough to kill it before immediately switching off it. I still have to decide "do I kill this possessed enemy with all these other enemies around knowing I'm going to have to then unload on the spirit before it moves, or do I deal with everything else first".

Edit: It also requires a ton of cells to actually pop it so i've more than once run out of ammo trying to microwave it and have it possess someone while i'm frantically trying to chainsaw so I can try again.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 22, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a challenge on Map 3 where the spirit itself does not count towards the completion of the trial and so you get a doofy spirit with nowhere to go at the end and we kind of hung out and chilled before I blew them up.

The Spirit mechanic is perfectly fine except for the final boss fight final phase where, when layered with all the other poo poo is not fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the thing about spirits is most of the time i treat them like a marauder in a multi-heavy fight: leave em for last. focus down the big bois and learn to kite; even a possessed mancubus can be kept at bay long enough to take care of the other heavies before you can focus on them

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
-Kills a possessed Baron after a harrowing fight
-Another Baron spawns as I ready my plasma rifle
- Microwave beam autotargets the Baron :argh:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fight that starts with a possessed imp is my favorite

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Own the basicest version of DoomE, trying to buy the year-one pass and I get a DUPLICATE ITEMS warning when I try to purchase for myself. I can just ignore this and pull the trigger, right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Own the basicest version of DoomE, trying to buy the year-one pass and I get a DUPLICATE ITEMS warning when I try to purchase for myself. I can just ignore this and pull the trigger, right?
Yeah, the duplicate is the core game shell with Battlemode access, so people don't need to own the base game to play Ancient Gods. (This means the original campaign is effectively DLC now!)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, got Ancient gods, is there any way to install it without installing the full game then?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Can't freeze the possessed hell baron running around the arena at 90mph. I think the devs got self conscious about how bad the microwave beam was and thought forcing you to use it would make you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yeah you know what i cant remember where i saw that the ballista does heavily reduced damage to possessed. i think it was in a previous interview with hugo, and i dont know if it carried through to the final release. regardless, using the ballista to dump on possessed demons is still tricky as poo poo because it's very likely that at the end of it, you may not have enough cells to lock the spirit down for the kill

also tried my bronzeman nightmare run, did the first mission perfectly until the double marauder part and got stuck on a zombie and got instakilled. i think im going to loosen up my rules for this dlc; considering that i still think that most of the challenge from marauders is when they're doing janky rear end bullshit like ignoring ssg flinches and dashing across stupidly long distances to shotgun me, these are clearly gimmick fights and i shouldnt treat them like dmc perfectionist combat exercises. it's not like i haven't cheesed some fights or missions in dmc due to broken poo poo anyway. also doesnt help that these missions feel waaaay longer than the vanilla campaign missions for some reason