Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

BillBear posted:

Also those trailers make me sad that the only films we'll likely ever get are poo poo because drat, a proper hitman film could actually work if done right.

A proper Hitman film is an INTERPOL agent globetrotting to various crime scenes and getting stumped/making brilliant deductions before showing us the hit. Similar to Boondock Saints but with more focus on the mystery and technical prowess of the hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
47 pretty much doesn't age anymore, probably. The targets from the first hitman game received clone-grown, genetically enhanced organs from Ort-meyer that gave them the near-superpowers they possessed in that game. 47 is a whole human being made out of such material.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 2, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

47 pretty much doesn't age anymore, probably. The targets from the first hitman game received clone-grown, genetically enhanced organs from Ort-meyer that gave them the near-superpowers they possessed in the game. 47 is a whole human being made out of such material.

I don't remember anyone but Pablo having super powers and that is more due to him being completely high on cocaine that small arms fire do pretty much nothing to him. All the other targets die relatively easily.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't remember anyone but Pablo having super powers and that is more due to him being completely high on cocaine that small arms fire do pretty much nothing to him. All the other targets die relatively easily.

It's in the backstory the game provides- some of their letters to Ort-meyer are demanding additional parts or the army he'd promised, but all of them have enhanced longevity. All of 47's targets in the original game are in their late 60s-early 70s.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Does this game have a map?

I'm appreciating Absolution a lot more on my second stab at it, but the way Instinct is implemented is still awful. It's central to disguises and navigation (NO MAP WTF), but the usage is restricted by difficulty. I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea

Moartoast posted:

Eh, I get the appeal but it's just not my kind of black comedy, I like the villains being morally bankrupt scumbags, not so much the exploitative camera angles and "oh and they're even more villainous because they are <insert scaaaaary minority here>" and whatnot. Also Absolution had the Watch Dogs problem of not knowing whether its protagonist is a hosed up noir villain that you're supposed to think is an awful person or a super cool brooding anti hero that you're supposed to think is cool and good and ICONIC TIE.

Not to mention how little faith I have in IOI's writing being in... well, good faith, since the abomination that was Kane and Lynch 2, but that's different topic, and the less I remind myself of it, the better.

According to IMDB, Absolution had like a dozen writers, and it really shows. You have a ton of weird thematic conflicts, and 47's character is all over the place. In the prologue, 47 has no problem putting a bullet in Diana, but then he immediately goes rogue and takes on her mission of protecting Victoria.

Tonally, the game is constantly swerving back and forth between "campy action movie" and "maybe you should consider the broader impact of violence. hey, you don't want this girl to turn into you, right? hmmm."

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
kane and lynch was a cool platform for fragile alliance that poo poo was rad

i reckon that would make a good f2p game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

47 pretty much doesn't age anymore, probably. The targets from the first hitman game received clone-grown, genetically enhanced organs from Ort-meyer that gave them the near-superpowers they possessed in that game. 47 is a whole human being made out of such material.

I always thought that it would be better as almost a horror movie but the monster is 47. have him hunt a group of dudes and he picks them off one by one, maybe a cop is investigating. idk

s0m3 guy posted:

kane and lynch was a cool platform for fragile alliance that poo poo was rad

i reckon that would make a good f2p game

I liked K&L 1 until cuba. 2 is just crap. the idea is kinda cool (gritty film in shanghai) but it does nothing with it.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Most people basically only remember K&L2 for the fragile alliance multiplayer (which has since been one-upped by better developers anyways). That's actually a good thing, though, because the only things the singleplayer is memorable for are hilarious glitches and the worst parts of the high school edgelord brodude story. Christ that game was thoroughly rotten.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speak for yourself, I played the game in online co-op with a drug fiend and we had an insane amount of fun just reveling in it. I'm not about to say it was of any quality but it was a fun lovely action game where everything is just wonderfully unpleasant. I actually loved the two main characters because they're loathsome horrible irredeemable pieces of poo poo and the game does nothing to dissuade that. Every cutscene is, "Oh they're finally getting what they deserve!" before they somehow don't and you have to shoot a lot more people.

I love the K&L games and I am the only one. Too bad K&L2 guaranteed CTD's unless you pull your ethernet cable now. Last I checked there was no fix as of a couple years back.

Steam is having a Square Enix sale weekend so if you want the older Hitman titles they're cheap as gently caress.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
More blood money stuff : Some of the missions are bizarrely easy to get silent assassin on, I did the redneck wedding in like 6 minutes and didn't even break a sweat (I want that elephant gun though)

The vegas level was alright but I don't really get why everyone loves it so much :shrug: The heaven and hell one had the best accidental death with the pyro rigging, hilarious.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A proper Hitman film is an INTERPOL agent globetrotting to various crime scenes and getting stumped/making brilliant deductions before showing us the hit. Similar to Boondock Saints but with more focus on the mystery and technical prowess of the hit.

Except INTERPOL doesn't do anything remotely like that. In Hollywood they do, though, so I guess you're right.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And Lupin III! :pseudo:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Just finished blood money, those last two levels were wank, and did the game just end with agent 47 getting his end away in a Chinese brothel?

Best level was probably the rehab one.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Blood Money ended with a funeral...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BillBear posted:

Also those trailers make me sad that the only films we'll likely ever get are poo poo because drat, a proper hitman film could actually work if done right.

I've actually got a couple of ideas kicking around for a Hitman fan film:

- Do it as a vignette film just showing a week or so in the life of 47, with various assorted short contracts (A New Life is a no-brainer and would probably be good to open with; not sure about any of the others).

- Do it a la Edge of Tomorrow/Run Lola Run and repeat the same longer contract several times, each time ending with 47's death... and then finally he manages to ghost it and get out alive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mutata posted:

Blood Money ended with a funeral...

I think he's insinuating he just shut the game off during what he thought were the end credits. Which is pretty funny because that's like the coolest part of the whole game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

I think he's insinuating he just shut the game off during what he thought were the end credits. Which is pretty funny because that's like the coolest part of the whole game.

No I woke 47 up and killed everyone but thanks for assuming I'm a big thicko.

The brothel dig was because of 47's line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnFV37LwE4&t=396s

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2016

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just finished blood money, those last two levels were wank, and did the game just end with agent 47 getting his end away in a Chinese brothel?

something something mei ling

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

:agreed: and I assumed that was supposed to be him drumming up new business

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Killing Diana was unacceptable.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

:agreed: and I assumed that was supposed to be him drumming up new business

I see, that's much better.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

uh

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Example of fun cut content- one of the black guards at the Requiem level is actually a Franchise assassin- he has a unique model, a tattoo, and unlike all other enemies there carries and will throw an explosive and a knife at you in the ensuing firefight. Another artifact from when the level could be stealthed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 4, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dandywalken posted:

Good news!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RPS has a detailed chat about the first episodes. Responses were mixed, and largely along the lines we already discussed- large-scale AI problems and some degree of forced linearity with Opportunities. The whole thing is worth a read, and there are no spoilers.

quote:

Graham:On the evidence of the beta, I’m cautiously optimistic about the full game – or at least the fullness of its first episode.

Adam: I’m less optimistic. I was hoping for greatness and can feel myself preparing to settle for something that’s more good than bad. That’d be enough though – for all my complaints, it still feels good to have another Hitman that is at least aiming to be a proper stealth game.

One thing Graham nails is the same issues I had with BM:

quote:

Playing this has made me start to re-consider Hitman: Blood Money. It’s my favourite Hitman game, because it is the best Hitman game, but it had some of these same problems. It was always a game that felt more like it was about selecting one of a number of optional but fixed paths rather than playing with AI. It always tolerated a lot of weirdness and kept guards within their prescribed zones. It simply never bothered me at the time. I’m trying to decide whether my greater suspicion about it this time is because they’re doing something different – in level design or elsewhere – or whether it’s because other games have come along and done some of these things in different or outright better ways.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I just got done with the beta levels and I definitely enjoyed it. Going to play through the last level again and try to do it "silent assassin" like.

Reminds me WAY more of Blood Money than the abortion that was Absolution.

Also, this is the first time I've pre-ordered a Steam game, is it normal for it to not show up as in your library? I bought the full game on sale from green man gaming, and obviously I have downloaded the beta, but in Steam the full game is not listed as in my library and when I look at the store page for the game it doesn't say it's already in my library.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I was just pissing around on the "till death do us part" mission and accidentally stumbled into a giant atrium thing, holy poo poo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Boosted_C5 posted:

I just got done with the beta levels and I definitely enjoyed it. Going to play through the last level again and try to do it "silent assassin" like.

Reminds me WAY more of Blood Money than the abortion that was Absolution.

Also, this is the first time I've pre-ordered a Steam game, is it normal for it to not show up as in your library? I bought the full game on sale from green man gaming, and obviously I have downloaded the beta, but in Steam the full game is not listed as in my library and when I look at the store page for the game it doesn't say it's already in my library.

That's normal, but it probably shows up if you check your library in the steam client. It won't show up on the website version of your library.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't think GMG has sent out any actual game keys, only beta keys.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I was just pissing around on the "till death do us part" mission and accidentally stumbled into a giant atrium thing, holy poo poo.

The giant atrium was great and went almost wholly unused. It's chock full of guards, iirc- the only real possibility is I think you could snipe through the roof- but the body would be detected instantly.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

The giant atrium was great and went almost wholly unused. It's chock full of guards, iirc- the only real possibility is I think you could snipe through the roof- but the body would be detected instantly.

Blood money needed more of that wow factor in finding a big secret part of the level, there wasn't enough of that.The big hotel level in contracts had a really obtuse way of poisoning a target that I didn't figure out for years and it was super hard to pull off, and loads of secret rooms that were there for actual reasons.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blood money needed more of that wow factor in finding a big secret part of the level, there wasn't enough of that.The big hotel level in contracts had a really obtuse way of poisoning a target that I didn't figure out for years and it was super hard to pull off, and loads of secret rooms that were there for actual reasons.

This is why I'm excited for the levels being so massive in the new one - there's going to be so much hidden poo poo tucked away that'll get revealed through the contracts mode and stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I don't know anything about the first hitman game so i'm watching a walkthrough, skip to 1:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhyGGTbVIeY

It's so trippy and cool I love it.And lol most of the animations for 47 if not all of them had been reused all the way to blood money, that's some thrifty animation use.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 4, 2016

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Being able to hold an attache case in one hand and pistol in the other blew my preteen mind. There was some pretty endearing jank in Codename 47.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I don't know anything about the first hitman game so i'm watching a walkthrough, skip to 1:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhyGGTbVIeY

It's so trippy and cool I love it.And lol most of the animations for 47 if not all of them had been reused all the way to blood money, that's some thrifty animation use.

Why don't you sort some mail then, macho pig.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I'm not ashamed to say I spent 70 whole minutes in one go watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLKodA5Mxw

That Scarface 'homage' in C47 is something else alright, I totally forgot about it. Also Blood Money was such a leap forward in graphics, it still looks pretty great even 10 years later.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the beta levels are a good sign for what the final product might look like - they felt a LOT like Blood Money levels, moreso than even the more open Absolution levels. The opportunities do feel a little bit overly-scripted, especially since you generally have to do them in sequence, rather than just setting up something in one part of the level and then waiting for your target to go over there as part of their routine, but there still seems to be lots of interesting ways to manipulate the level outside of those opportunities so they're more like bonus side-activities rather than "pick one of these, and only one of these, to complete the level". I'm liking there being more "generic" elements in the game that show up in multiple places, like fire alarms and weapon crates, where rather than being some specific scripted thing, they're more of a general tool you can use to trigger certain behaviours. My biggest gripe with Absolution was that there was basically nothing like that - you wouldn't even be given bombs unless there was some specific place where you were supposed to use them, so it really felt like you were given no freedom to experiment.

I didn't really like the lack of "suit only" areas in the beta - I feel like on the boat level at least you should have free reign on the deck with the crowd if you sneak past the guards at the entrance. One nice touch I did like though is that if I did get caught in that area, the guard actually walked me back out to the entrance rather than immediately opening fire on me, so it's cool to see a more varied range of responses to being caught rather than "HE'S PACKING! *bullets*". I also feel like the detection range for people who can see through your costume is a bit far - I liked how Blood Money did it best, where just walking around you'd generally be left alone, but if you stayed in someone's personal space for too long, or were hanging around a higher security area it would spike their suspicion a lot faster. There's a lot more variety in NPC types within individual areas though, so at least it doesn't have Absolution's problem of the only costume that actually has access to the majority of the level is what all the other NPCs are wearing, so they just see right through it and you end up having to sneak around anyway.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

blackguy32 posted:

Why don't you sort some mail then, macho pig.

I need to use the bathroom.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

How is it that codename 47 has these fluid animations and then fastforward 6 years to blood money and everybody's animated like a parkinsons disease marionette? Bizarre.
That bit where lei mei kisses him and he shudders and pulls that face, so good, great bit of character building there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

How is it that codename 47 has these fluid animations and then fastforward 6 years to blood money and everybody's animated like a parkinsons disease marionette? Bizarre.
That bit where lei mei kisses him and he shudders and pulls that face, so good, great bit of character building there.

codename 47 was made from the dreams of 90s hong kong cinema which was inspired by 60s french cinema which is now all dead. COINCIDENCE???