Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nakar posted:

Agreed, it'd be really nice to have a quicksave and I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist even on PC. I guess they assume the autosaves cover it, but they really don't.
If they could at least stop autosaves from hitching the game 1 second after you start playing, that'd be nice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat all the base missions of Hitman Season one.

The game started off pretty strong and ended strong with Hokkaido, but a lot of stuff in the middle was pretty weak. I think Marrakesh is my least favorite map, and Paris might still be my favorite. Although the Yoga and Heart kills on Hokkaido are pretty brutal and somewhat funny.

I guess I should go back and play through with the alternate starting positions and starting disguises since I think they will go a long way to making a lot of the missions more enjoyable to play.

Also, the saving and loading in this game is god awful.

You should try the Marrakesh bonus mission. The limited scope and change of targets does wonders to make the map more exciting

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaius Marius posted:

You should try the Marrakesh bonus mission. The limited scope and change of targets does wonders to make the map more exciting

That's the one bonus mission I haven't cracked yet, awesome to hear!

Today I finished off the last of the Paris escalations* and the Holiday Hoarders challenges so I feel accomplished! I used a walkthrough for the Holiday stuff though - it felt very tedious and involved too much waiting around.

*I don't have the complete edition dlc so I'm missing one escalation. Just one!

I think my favorite thing about the escalations is how I finally realized I could kill everyone in my path. Don't have the patience for setting up elaborate accidents? Murder every guard, drag your target to a railing. It felt satisfying to just... play it wrong, essentially. But so fun.

e: Novikov must be having nightmares in the afterlife about how many times those fireworks went off ahead of schedule. I started as the AV Crew so many times and would trigger the fireworks just for fun.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 16, 2018

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Marrakesh SUCKS. I haven't played the bonus mission, just the original.

I'm playing through Hitman right now for the first time and I have been getting mastery 20/20 on each level before moving on. Marrakesh felt like a brick wall, like it took me 3x to get mastery as it did on Paris and Sapienza (and I feel like I'm doing Bangkok much faster so far).

The targets are too far apart and the area between the school and the embassy is basically a no-fun dead zone.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Blast Fantasto posted:

The targets are too far apart and the area between the school and the embassy is basically a no-fun dead zone.

Disagree. It only looks like a dead zone. There are still things that can happen in the corridors of the map during the main mission. For example, you can kill both targets while in the "no-fun dead zone" you describe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YRWT5u7hNg

Granted, what you can do in them during the main mission is limited and pales in comparison to the fun to be had in the rest of the map. But the map itself is a good example of the trade-offs being made between what constitutes a good map for the main story mission versus a good map for sandboxing and bonus missions. Marrekesh sucks a bit as a main mission for much of the reasons you described, but when you factor in all the possibilities with the elusive targets and the bonus missions, it's better than you might initially give it credit for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Granted, what you can do in them during the main mission is limited and pales in comparison to the fun to be had in the rest of the map. But the map itself is a good example of the trade-offs being made between what constitutes a good map for the main story mission versus a good map for sandboxing and bonus missions. Marrekesh sucks a bit as a main mission for much of the reasons you described, but when you factor in all the possibilities with the elusive targets and the bonus missions, it's better than you might initially give it credit for.

This is right - just like Sapienza, the map really begins to reveal itself in contracts and escalations, as there's just so much stuff packed in everywhere, and it's an interesting thing to explore.

It's a shame the main mission for Marrakesh is so bad though, the targets are boring. Sapienza stumbles in that the virus is boring, but Marrakesh stumbles by having two tiny missions tied to a large map that's largely unused for the main targets.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
It doesn't help that the areas both Marrakesh targets are found in are extremely flat and dull (with the exception of the dance sequence at the school). The nighttime map alleviates this problem by cutting them out entirely leaving a smaller but much denser space to mess around in.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Watching Hitman 2 videos and I'm pleased that Kenny from Telltale's Walking Dead games continues to be employed as a security guard in various locations around the world.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mantis42 posted:

We're talking about a man who tried to cook shells because he thought that's what egg whites were.

Wait... wait a minute. Is he the Canadian, alcoholic Goon who lives in a garbage house and tried making burgers on his toilet seat with burning tissues? "Cooking with a Hoarder"? Anyone know who I'm talking about? He'd boil chicken in Sunny D and all kinds.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

Wait... wait a minute. Is he the Canadian, alcoholic Goon who lives in a garbage house and tried making burgers on his toilet seat with burning tissues? "Cooking with a Hoarder"? Anyone know who I'm talking about? He'd boil chicken in Sunny D and all kinds.

No, that's Masaokis.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I hope they do some more experiemental stuff like the Hokkaido alternate map where the targets can proliferate because they can catch the disease you're trying to get rid of.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1052545010028007424

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm dying :laffo:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hope we have to actually kill him multiple times. It's the only way to do the man justice.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
drat, that's a great gag

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

Hope we have to actually kill him multiple times. It's the only way to do the man justice.

Even better: you get SASO by simply staying put until the timer runs out and he drops dead at the last second.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't mind him being multiple elusive targets. Fucker keeps coming back.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Should really be the other way around: he keeps dying to everything and anyone, and the client has very specific demands as to how he must finally snuff it. 47's mission is to make sure that none of those other “accidents” and attacks happen.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

I love this game. This is awesome

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Watch this video again. That therapist looks familiar…wonder where we've seen him before?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

if you can't decapitate him or shoot him with a bow. i will be sad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Drop a satellite dish on him. Then trigger a stampede of cows.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are ETs expected to work the same way for Hitman 2? One try and then never again? This seems too great to only get to do once.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Are ETs expected to work the same way for Hitman 2? One try and then never again? This seems too great to only get to do once.

Yes. It's shaping up to be the same kind of celebrity elusive target like with Gary Busey in Season 1. Not only was it a one-time thing, that ET didn't even get repeated. I'm wondering if it's a money thing, where it's cheaper for the celeb to agree to make a one-off limited appearance compared to being a sustained part of the game.

It makes for great pre-launch marketing, though. It forces people on the fence to commit to the game early if they don't want to miss killing Sean Bean.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think my favorite thing about the escalations is how I finally realized I could kill everyone in my path. Don't have the patience for setting up elaborate accidents? Murder every guard, drag your target to a railing. It felt satisfying to just... play it wrong, essentially. But so fun.

I seem to remember that most escalations had very restrictive and cancerous conditions, most of them shouldn't be doable with the reckless kill everybody approach.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving incredible.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My favorite escalations are the ones that build on and refine an approach to the targets. The ones that make a crazy left turn at 5/5 and render the first 4 irrelevant are supremely unfun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish they'd have just done 3 levels. Doing the same thing five times is pretty lame

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, 3-stage escalations feel just right.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Clanpot Shake posted:

My favorite escalations are the ones that build on and refine an approach to the targets. The ones that make a crazy left turn at 5/5 and render the first 4 irrelevant are supremely unfun.

"You have to have your weapon drawn all the time, if you holster it for longer than seven seconds you fail the mission."

Urgh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ephex posted:

"You have to have your weapon drawn all the time, if you holster it for longer than seven seconds you fail the mission."

Urgh.

No no no that one is fine, it just means you have to go loud for those escalations.

"we put invisible death traps everywhere, have fun!" are the really evil ones. Along with "pacify anyone and you fail", and/or "kill anyone but the targets and you fail" like excuse me, I am not a clever person

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It felt incredible to be the first person to realize what that Dexter loud pistol escalation was designed to point to.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Discendo Vox posted:

It felt incredible to be the first person to realize what that Dexter loud pistol escalation was designed to point to.

Which is...?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just started Season One after playing some of Blood Money and beating Absolution. I've only done the tutorial and a couple of runs of Paris with no assists other than the threat ring so far but I love how large the maps are and how many different paths you can take I've killed Novikov by dropping the light rig on him and making a poisoned cocktail, I know of at least two more ways to kill him (bomb on a TV camera) and dropping a speaker on him. Dalia is a bit harder, I've only isolated and snapped her neck and sniped her from the attic so far but I know where her laptop dongle is now, along with the IAGO invitation. It's really cool how you start off clueless on a huge map with no clear route but you build up your knowledge and end up with a ton of options. Mastery is also a nice touch to keep you exploring and looking for new opportunities.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Clanpot Shake posted:

Which is...?

I think the weapon doesn't mention it shoots through stuff?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think the weapon doesn't mention it shoots through stuff?
You can time gunshots with the fireworks going off in the valley, I think?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pilchenstein posted:

You can time gunshots with the fireworks going off in the valley, I think?

That, yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, 3-stage escalations feel just right.

I like the ones where the additional stages nudge you in the direction of the "flow" it wants you to take, like it's one smooth sequence.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Have IO mentioned if the "Collector's Pack" that comes with the stupid metal box edition of the game is going to be available as a dlc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StrixNebulosa posted:

No no no that one is fine, it just means you have to go loud for those escalations.
Or get good at getting out of line of sight.