Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Slanderer posted:

Do they explain anywhere what all the icons on weapon and equipment mean (and what "custom" means?) Some are self evident, but I have no clue about others.

Clearly this gun is organic, wi-fi compatible, and we must't talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Odobenidae posted:

Ahahahaha this is some Japanese game manual poo poo right here

I'm half expecting a no smoking sign

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Odobenidae posted:

So, I'm guessing silenced, you can run with it, and it's visible if you're carrying it. How close am I?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Do they explain anywhere what all the icons on weapon and equipment mean (and what "custom" means?) Some are self evident, but I have no clue about others.

I found it. If you go to Career(?)->Mastery you can see the unlocks foir each mission. For the guns and stuff, they explain the bonuses for each. This is such a stupid way to convey the info, but whatever

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

So, I'm guessing silenced, you can run with it, and it's visible if you're carrying it. How close am I?

1/3. Well I mean 2/3 really because it is visible while you're carrying it but that's not what any of the icons means. The actual meanings of the icons are
1) Scout: Quicker aim, increased rate of fire
2) Subsonic: Very quiet, reduced damage
3) Suppressor: Quiet, reduced range (why they felt they needed two different icons to say "It's silenced" is beyond me - it's not like you can customize the weapons for variable levels of silence to matter anyway).

(the actual explanations for the icons are in the "mastery" tab of the career menu, but only for weapons that you unlock)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh man I just cracked up at the golf ball kill. I was expecting Caruso to maybe get knocked back a little, but instead he launched like 30 ft up in the air and disappeared over the terrace ledge :allears:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I love using that golf ball for all my kills. That explosive Escalation mission is almost impossible without it, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Speaking of explosive deaths, this game is unironically really well-made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6b-VmmHo78

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sapienza is a pretty great map, its bigger than it looks and there's tons of great things to discover. And there's lots of variety in the buildings and locations, especially the underground lab. Feels like a throwback to A Vintage Year from Blood Money, with the terrace and the underground cellar and stuff. Lots of fun silly ways to kill people.

The France map was cool too and kinda reminded me of Curtains Down from Blood Money, but something about the big French building it just kinda felt samey overall, where the Italy map is more sprawling and has a bunch of little buildings of various types and sizes.

Very interested to see what else we get.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Discendo Vox posted:

Speaking of explosive deaths, this game is unironically really well-made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6b-VmmHo78

"Everything becomes a weapon eventually. You just need to know how and where to point it."

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want a level like A New Life but an actual block instead of just one street :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Croccers posted:

I want a level like A New Life but an actual block instead of just one street :allears:

Yeah a neighborhood would be fantastic.

I'm not sure what else I'd even ask for. Maybe like a castle or an embassy or something could be interesting. Or the Kremlin itself?

Hitman is the best Mission Impossible game that never was. (although Mission Impossible on N64 was surprisingly good and hitman-like)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My two biggest hit man level wants: a prison(killing someone on the inside) and a hospital (think of the possibilities :allears:)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like that if you play the VHS tape in Sapienza, there's a few 47 references in the song.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well the next map is Marrakesh, apparently has an embassy, a disused school, the streets between the two with various shops and buildings and the entire area is engulfed in a crowd of protesters outside the embassy (seriously hoping you can provoke a riot and use the chaos to get in the embassy), the targets are a general and a diplomat. Then it's Thailand, USA and Japan for the finale. So for USA a neighborhood would be pretty fitting and different from what we've had, maybe with some sort of larger building like a hospital or something on the edge? Japan I could see some sort of corporate tower or a high profile party in a fake historical palace maybe? If it's the finale it's gotta be something spectacular.

I always thought one of those super cruise liners would be a cool location for a Hitman level, the ones that are large enough to have multiple malls and attractions and stuff on them.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
When does Agent 47 get to go to space

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Ooooh yeah, a mega-mall level. Complete with stores, warehouse, parking lots and park. Something like the mall from Dead Rising 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'd like to see a map that really lets you go crazy with the sniper rifle for one. Italy has some more opportunities than France for it, but still.

thebardyspoon posted:

Well the next map is Marrakesh, apparently has an embassy, a disused school, the streets between the two with various shops and buildings and the entire area is engulfed in a crowd of protesters outside the embassy (seriously hoping you can provoke a riot and use the chaos to get in the embassy), the targets are a general and a diplomat. Then it's Thailand, USA and Japan for the finale. So for USA a neighborhood would be pretty fitting and different from what we've had, maybe with some sort of larger building like a hospital or something on the edge? Japan I could see some sort of corporate tower or a high profile party in a fake historical palace maybe? If it's the finale it's gotta be something spectacular.

I always thought one of those super cruise liners would be a cool location for a Hitman level, the ones that are large enough to have multiple malls and attractions and stuff on them.

That's right, they did already say it was Marrakesh, and that sounds loving brilliant. Get some Indiana Jones going on up in here.

Croccers posted:

Ooooh yeah, a mega-mall level. Complete with stores, warehouse, parking lots and park. Something like the mall from Dead Rising 1.

Mall would be pretty interesting. Disguise as a rent-a-cop or a store clerk.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Prison idea is inspired, can't believe they haven't done that one. Have it be a relatively big one with a yard and everything, multiple targets in the prison, one in solitary. Maybe one of your options is to pretend to be an inmate planning an escape and you get all the targets involved, successfully escape with them and then just gun them down after the fact (or "accidentally" get them killed during the escape attempt). Or you could sneak in and out of the prison, getting their cell arrangements moved so they're all in one place that is in convenient sniping view of a high point outside the prison. Or set a riot in motion after putting information about insinuating that each dude is going to try and kill the other so they seek each other out during the riot and all get killed, or you just dress as a riot response officer and go in with the rest of the cops and put down each one as you go. Yeah... a prison level would be very cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've dreamed of a prison level since Blood Money 😭 i always hoped they'd bring out an expansion. I never played Absolution but I heard it wasn't like BM so I just skipped straight to this one.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd like to see a map that really lets you go crazy with the sniper rifle for one. Italy has some more opportunities than France for it, but still.

This is what I'm really hoping for most of all. Hitman Sniper is an amazing mobile game for what it is (so much polish and many ways to control how the scene plays out) and I'm hoping there's a level that you can setup on the outskirts of the map and play the entire thing using nothing more than the bullets out of your sniper to interact with the world. It would be so fun to go in, tweak the world such and so as you sneak around, then head back out to watch it play out with your sniper.

When you have the fireworks controller, France from the barge is *almost* this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

Mall would be pretty interesting. Disguise as a rent-a-cop or a store clerk.

Maaaaan I want this so bad now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've dreamed of a prison level since Blood Money 😭 i always hoped they'd bring out an expansion. I never played Absolution but I heard it wasn't like BM so I just skipped straight to this one.
Yeah, you're best skipping Absolution. Absolution actually has some strong points to its gameplay (Like the cover mechanics) and you can definitely see it as the precursor to this game, but the way the game and some of the mechanics were designed were just crap. Absolution actively punished you for playing it like Blood Money pretty much.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I was in a rural English town this weekend during a fair/boat race and it occurred to me that it would be an interesting location for hitman. Although you would need a way to explain guards having guns since our police aren't armed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

UrbicaMortis posted:

I was in a rural English town this weekend during a fair/boat race and it occurred to me that it would be an interesting location for hitman. Although you would need a way to explain guards having guns since our police aren't armed.
Something like Beldingford Manor would work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

Put it in Wales like that episode of Archer. Have a bunch of Welsh Terrorists and MI-5 running around.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

although Mission Impossible on N64 was surprisingly good

:eyepop:

Lets not say things we cant take back!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

:eyepop:

Lets not say things we cant take back!

For its time, I guess? It was janky but I couldn't remember playing any other game like that at that time.

Sneaking into the bathroom with some guy, knocking him out and making a mold of his face and then sneaking into a facility was pretty much straight up Hitman.

Have't played it in years so there's probably some rose colored glasses involved.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Just watched the hitman quicklooks on giantbomb and they're pretty amazing. They don't play the game with anything approaching skill but it's as pure a distillation of what makes these games fun as I have seen.

First one is here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-hitman/2300-11036/

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I have a feeling the Prince Po guy is going to figure into one of the future missions. Probably going to be something with Jordan Cross too since there's a ton of conversations that mention him.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
So how're people liking this game? I loved Blood Money back when it came out, and I never touched Absolution, does the new game hold up as a worthy successor to BM? The Steam reviews are pretty mixed, so I figured I'd see how Goons were liking the game before trying it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Pretty much a huge resounding YES. Basically everything that is good about hitman.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah, I don't know why it took them so long to realize they just had to make Blood Money Again, but by god they did it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lynx posted:

So how're people liking this game? I loved Blood Money back when it came out, and I never touched Absolution, does the new game hold up as a worthy successor to BM? The Steam reviews are pretty mixed, so I figured I'd see how Goons were liking the game before trying it.

The main reason for the mixed Steam reviews are people bitching about the online aspect (which honestly is kind of stupid - it's the same sort of "you have to be online to play this single player game" DRM bullshit that Ubisoft pulled a few years ago and apparently SE didn't learn from the response that got). The actual game is incredibly solid and is absolutely the Blood Money sequel we all wanted Absolution to be.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I really hope if this game does well we can get multiple seasons, I was very pleasantly surprised by this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lynx posted:

There's only two maps but each is about as detailed and has as many ways to kill the targets as several blood money maps, and you can create custom missions and challenge each other to kill whoever in whatever way, its pretty great. And more maps to come.

It is good.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
As someone who hasn't played a Hitman game before--I was somewhat ambivalent about the 1st mission, but Sapienza was incredible. After playing through it, I went back and was able to appreciate Paris a bit more, but Sapienza alone is what has sold me on this game

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I recently flipped my Steam review from thumbs down to thumbs up. There is no question that the game is still a bit of a mess technically (why I thumbed it down initially) even though it is improving. But there is absolutely no question that the game is so drat good that it's worth putting up with the hassle of it not always wanting to let you play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I have a feeling the Prince Po guy is going to figure into one of the future missions. Probably going to be something with Jordan Cross too since there's a ton of conversations that mention him.
I'm calling that The Church of Ascendants are going to be the main villains. Dahlia brings them up and I think someone else does and in the Sapienza ending cutscene reveals that the rogue assassin is trying to take down Providence, which definitely sounds like it could be related what with the religious aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Tried playing Blood Money again recently and man, that first level is a pain to slog through. Not only are long tutorials annoying at the best of times, it's tonally way off from the rest of the game and it's a pretty bad introduction.

That said, Absolution just felt embarrassing from the get go. It's like someone watched Minority Report and thought quirky = interesting.