Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Surprised this thread isn't more active with the beta out.

Beta has me super hyped for Paris. It really does feel like Blood Money 2, even with the tiny tutorial levels. There's at least half a dozen ways of killing the main target on the boat level- you can sneak up and shoot him, you can knock out and impersonate the dude he's meeting, you can poison him, you can drop a life boat on his head, and of course you can slip him some emetic and drown him in the vomit filled toilet while he's puking his guts out.

And the hangar level seems like it has even more opportunities. I can't wait for the first proper level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moartoast posted:

Also really hope you can turn off the feats & OPPORTUNITY REVEALING/REVEALED prompts, they're neat in a way but i'd prefer to more naturally find this stuff out on my own

You can.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've pretty much exhausted the training levels. But I've had lots of fun, took me a good few hours to do all the challenges.

Hasn't really convinced me on the episodic model, I do feel it would be a lot better to get the whole game at once, but it has convinced me the game itself is going to be great. The 'beta' would make a good demo to convince people who are on the fence about buying this, except you need to have bought the game already to play it...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the proximity stuff is a bit annoying. I had managed to sneak, suit only, into the office on the boat level. Then plant a bomb by the computer and make my way to the speedboat for an exit. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Except because I didn't get close enough to trigger the relevant event, the target never went to his meeting. Damnit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I know that's Shadow the Hedgehog but I'm pretty lost about the rest of those posts. Is he a gun wielding clone? I thought he was just one of Sonic's pals. Like all people of taste and refinement I haven't played a Sonic game for a very long time.

This confusion must be my comeuppance for feeling smug about getting the Natalie Wood and Lord Lucan jokes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Veotax posted:

It's out on consoles.

It's not out on PC yet? Finally I get to be that guy who has the game when most of the thread doesn't. Except I haven't had time to play beyond what was in the beta. Ah well.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Blowing up both targets at once in their safe room is very satisfying I have to say. Although even that hit ultimately relied on bathrooms (had to use the emetic to get Victors bodyguard alone to get his phone).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think I know the ending at least. When I was disguised as the Sheik and went to the auction, I overheard Helmut in a meeting with Dalia where she's giving him some sort of orders, but I wasn't paying close attention. So I'm thinking maybe he's like a undercover male-model spy, like he's IAGO's James Bond but he stays under the radar by working for them as a model.

She's sending him out to seduce a beautiful young heiress to get intel from her father. But this is his first gig as a spy, hence how nervous he is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there a date for Italy yet?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I ended up just looking up where the disarm device is, because yeah it's not fun.

Its in a wall safe in the room where the computer you need to hack is. Just start in the attic and take the ladder down and you won't have to worry about any trip mines. Just have the device equipped every time you pass through the beams.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I did it without the device because I absolutely could not find that safe. Is it hard to spot or something or am I just blind? Because I definitely checked that room.

It's in plain sight. Did you do the escalations for the final test where you have to open the safe? It's a metal box on the wall just like that one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So has anyone played the new level yet? I downloaded it overnight and it took all my self control not to play before I left for work this morning.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

Still 4 more hours until it's out, how did you download it?

Or is it out early on consoles? :(

It let me download it at 2am last night (uk ps4) but I didn't check if it would actually let me play, since I had to sleep.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

UrbicaMortis posted:

I got sick yesterday which sucks but hey, I got to play hitman all morning. New level is good, as far as I can tell from my two complete runs of it. Really expansive. I've barely touched the town area and mostly explored the mansion but I keep encountering cool ways to infiltrate or kill guys hidden in nooks all over.

Excellent. I assume you need to unlock all the weapons on a level by level basis? Or can you use the poo poo you unlocked in Paris?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wasn't really in a Hitman mood the last couple of days. Does this mean I missed the elusive target? That's stupid.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well that's good it's around for the weekend.

But surely it would make more sense to make them available all the time, and just limit you to one attempt?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Saladman posted:

How do you zoom with the sniper rifle? I hold left trigger and it zooms somewhat, but I can't get to it's second setting, which I've seen people use in YouTube videos. Is there like some sort of sniper upgrade? I think I've pressed every button on the controller while holding left trigger and nothing happens.

There are two sniper rifles. The one from Italy has a long zoom, but no silencer. The one from Paris has a silencer, but a short zoom.

Edit- poo poo, beaten.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well my first elusive target didn't go so well. I spent half an hour wandering round Sapienza trying to find the guy, and when I finally did he stopped to lean against a wall checking out the view.

I was unable to resist pushing him to his death and got shot to pieces by his guards. I need to keep this one time only thing in mind.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

What am I doing wrong that the silenced pistol isn't a one shot kill to the head?

Too far away probably. A lot of the weapons are dogshit past their effective range.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Elusive target After attending his party as the Sheik and watching him for a while I gave up on doing anything fancy and I just restarted and sniped him from the barge and ran for the chopper.

I now regret not investigating what he does when you turn his music off.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Point Man and Technician outfits seem to be the best for wandering outside, pretty much nobody has white dots, but you do need the Elite Guard outfit to get in the house.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I barely explored the map because coincidental timing lead two targets to be together, and one more to be five feet away, are there any outfits lying around besides the scarecrow? I saw a coin at the first pickup location, apricots (:v:) and a brick for the most part.

There's an elite guard outfit in a truck near the house, but there's about five guards looking at that spot at all times, no idea how you can put it on without being spotted.

And yeah there must be a use for the fifteen apricots I picked up, hosed if I know what it is though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God I miss the whole routine of using the case, then assembling the sniper rifle. Making the shot and calmly put it back in the case. It's just not the same dressing as a guard and openly carrying a rifle to your sniper's nest.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God I forgot about that. Didn't Bateson find out he wasn't in Absolution from talking to a fan after the first trailer dropped? IO didn't even tell him. What shabby treatment, both of him and of the lady that plays Diana.

Were IO deliberately trying to look like a bunch of dicks at that time? At least they seem to have learned from their mistakes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Was it IO, or was it Square Enix?

They had a mandate of the owner to make it a bigger IP, even if they had to 'reinvent' Hitman in the attempt: make it more linear, more cinematic, less hardcore, more story driven, more gritty. It was the same as the 'reinvention' of the Tomb Raider games (much more casual, cinematic and story driven than the originals) and the Thi4f game. Two other games from, surprise surprise, Square Enix too!

Well, you are probably correct about the publisher mandate. But they still should have given Bateson a phone call or something. Just basic common courtesy when you have worked with someone for like a decade.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KillHour posted:

Is this game good yet? After the first level came out and the reviews were mostly disappointing, I completely forgot about it.

It was always good. I can't think of a better game that came out this year.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's about the third elusive target I've impulsively murdered in the open when I got impatient and failed. Along with a lot more I've missed just through not feeling in a Hitman mood when they were around and I had some gaming time.

This time limited, one time only thing isn't for me. I wish they were just treated like any other escalation or player created contract, I really appreciate everything else about the elusive targets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

No, but you have to do it irl now.

(Hi secret service!)

Sadly, it's the other fat old stupid loudmouth nut job who has secret service protection. They would be put to much better use keeping Gary Busey safe though, I agree.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You don't need a scrambler to get out to the roof, there's another, unlocked, door.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a contract request: I'd love to see something done with the protesters outside the Marrakesh embassy, especially Strandberg's daughter.

His daughter is one of the protesters?? That's great. I must have walked through that crowd dozens of times and I never noticed, this game is so wonderfully packed with stuff.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

qbert posted:

Despite people complaining about Colorado, Bangkok is really the worst map.

Jordan Cross is the best target though, with the best murder methods. The worst map is actually Colorado.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh man the final one? I've had this game since day one and I've only managed to do like 3 elusive targets. I kind of resent being told when to play. gently caress you IO, I'll play when I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This game is really good. The only thing that’s worse than the last one is the cutscenes.