Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Snuffman posted:

"Streets of Hope" is not a good stage for size comparison. Sure, it was a "big" stage in Hitman Absolution, but it was small compared to a lot of the stages of Blood Money. :raise:
It makes sense when you remember the marketing for the new Hitman is centered around convincing people it's not going to be like Absolution. I remember watching the big walkthrough video for the fashion show level a while ago and it was basically one long explanation about how similar the game was to Blood Money and nothing at all like Absolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Am I reading it right that the new Hitman is going to have 8 missions once they're all released?

It's not completely surprising since Blood Money only had 12 (not counting the murder spree funeral epilogue) and level creation only gets more expensive as time goes on but I bet that's going to be a tough sell for a lot of people, which helps explain the intro pack I guess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's not like they're making each level from scratch in a month. They should all be nearly complete right now, so I don't think they'll drop the game early even if sales are bad.

I would guess the main reason for the episodic strategy is to see if it gets more people on board with contracts and the other extra game modes, building an audience for further paid DLC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In that case you should go ahead and pick up Blood Money for super cheap while you wait.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Ill-conceived advertising is a tradition of the trade at this point.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Now I want a mission where 47 can wear functioning roller skates.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Hitman: 6 levels in total plus prologue, staggered release

Hitman blood Money: 12 levels in total plus prologue, all came out at once.

Whats the reason for this.
Asset creation costs rise while sales and price stay constant.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, the steamspy stats for this are pretty brutal. 153k owners vs Absolution's 2.8m. But the really crazy thing is that about as many people have played Absolution in the past 2 weeks as Hitman 2016.

I guess the super charitable interpretation is that the new game revived interest in Absolution to some extent?

EDIT: There actually was a big spike in Absolution players right before Hitman came out, it's almost returned to the baseline by now though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

A key thing they need to really stay on top of is keeping the releases on a strict, regular release schedule. I now look forward to a new level dropping every month, and it keeps the game fresh and in my mind as something I want to keep playing. If they get lax with it and start giving us vague release windows that end up getting delayed, and we have 2-3 month gaps between releases, that will be a major annoyance and kill some of my motivation to continue paying attention to the game.
It takes way more than a month to make these levels, they've almost certainly all been nearly done since before the game first released.