Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The real problem with Absolution, gameplay-wise, was the lack of social stealth, which is also what made Blood Money the best game in the series (until the current one, arguably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

But I normally play Chicago rules

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

God, I just spent forever retrying the Holiday Hoarders challenge because I didn't realize there were two busts in the attic

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Of all the great things about this game, the thing I like the most is that the developers seem to have really picked up on what people didn't like about Absolution. Blood Money was brilliant because of its sandbox nature and HITMAN does the same thing incredibly well. I saw a bit on GiantBomb with two of the devs, and they mentioned Sapienza as their own favourite map too, because of how large and relatively open it was.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

How exactly do you achieve Silent Assassin? Because I just did a SA/SO run, I guess, but didn't get the challenge listed as done. Was it because I left the target's body out of a container (but it was never found before I finished the mission)? I can't think of anything else. You can knock people unconscious, right?

I've definitely done SA/SO while leaving the targets body out in the open, though that was an accident kill which may be the difference. Did you get recorded by a camera? Usually it'll tell you at the end which of the things you missed

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This pad Thai immediately killed my boss. Just an unfortunate accident. No cause for alarm or suspicion.

There's a lot of suspension of disbelief needed sometimes. My friend played Paris for the first time today. He electrocuted Novikov in a pool of water, drowned Dalia in her own toilet and then, dressed as a security guard, flew away in their helicopter. You'd think the two guards standing next to the helicopter would find the whole day a bit off.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

meatsaw posted:

I did this, but used the syringe. It was my first ET but made for a perfect SA run. Is there a bonus for Suit Only ETs(because it looked like all score categories were maxxed)?

First and Fifth Silent Assassin ET unlocks a suit.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Is there any way to destroy the virus in Sapienza without having to dodge and weave around enforcers down in the lab? For me, that's the part that keeps Sapienza from being 5/5. Both targets are great and allow for a lot of creativity, but once they're dead, I always find myself back to sneaking and coining my way to the virus with very little real elegance and creativity.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

This game is good and I like it.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

is scarecrow a starting location?

also i am trying out the elusive guy now. actually quite nice that he doesn't show up in red - feels more like a hitman game now

I turned off Instinct as soon as I first launched the game and haven't looked back. To me, not touching instinct just takes it closer to Blood Money.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Your thoughts?

This is dumb and I'm glad you got downvoted

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

It really, really annoys me that you don't get the bonus missions if you bought the episodes separately, and that you can't even pay a small extra amount to unlock the bonus eps but have to buy an (additional) full package for it

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Oh, nice. Any idea when it's out?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I hope this also means they actually make the bonus episodes available on steam

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You can't actually purchase them if you already have all the missions, though. Except through buying a whole new pack. I really hope they add the option today.

E: I guess it's coming:

quote:

For players who prefer to purchase individual episodes with the Intro Pack:

- The 'Bonus Episode' (formerly called Summer Bonus Episode) will be made available for individual purchase. The Bonus Episode includes 3 bonus missions: 'The Icon', 'A House Built on Sand' and 'Landslide'. Pricing will vary according to region, but will closely match the established cost of an individual episode.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

gtrmp posted:

If you're defending a level's design not on the basis of how well the actual mission that it was built around plays but on the basis of potential future content that could be added to it, you might be missing the forest for the trees.

I think it's fair to separate criticism/ratings into maps and missions. Marrakesh is a good map but a bad (main) mission.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

GET MY BELT SON posted:

No I get it. It just seems odd that they wouldn't rotate them again on even a long term basis

I would personally enjoy each one less if the thrill of the danger of failure wasn't there

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

That reminds me; I completed Landslide recently with SA, and I was awarded the SA challenge in the post-mission screens, but the score screen only gave me four stars; it claimed I had missed "Never Spotted". Anyone know how that might have happened? It seems like a weird bug.

The Never Spotted-mechanism isn't nearly as binary as you'd think, and especially the ratings screen SA and the SA challenge use different versions of Never spotted, which is why you see speedrunners do poo poo like shoot people in the legs and then knock them out or run straight past people surprised by an explosion, even though they're trespassing at that point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I agree. I'm a bad Hitman player and have initially used opportunities as a crutch to learn levels, and later used parts of opportunities to set up things for different kills.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Here's a guy getting SA in Paris.

in 33 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtoNv_7USk

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

Good morning, 47.

Your targets are Yosuke Matsuda and Kazuharu Watanbe...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Reasons why Soders can't get another heart:

1. It makes throwing the heart in the trash slightly less cool, which wouldn't be right

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, just allowing 360 garden access would help the map honestly.

It's a shame too, because hotel maps are the bread and butter of Hitman games IMO. Paris just does all the things better without strictly being a hotel map.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Crate did something very similar with Grim Dawn (a bunch of Titan Quest devs bought the rights to their own engine to design a new game/sequel on it and start their own studio based off that), and so far, that has been quite a succes, also financially, as far as I'm aware.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

HelixFox posted:

I really hope they introduce some way to revisit past elusive targets for people who bought the game after its initial release.

At least you've found a way to revisit past elusive target discussions for people who read the thread after its initial release

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

This was less interesting than I thought. Unless there's some way to trigger the intel that I'm missing, it's literally just Diana telling you to kill A, B or C after 15 minutes of free roaming

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

It's that time of year again, merry Hitsmas, goons!

Does this also mean that Giant Bomb are doing another Hitsmas special? Because the last one was incredible, even if noone of them knew how to play the game at all well

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Nakar posted:

You can dose his drink in your Suit very easily; none of the people at the stand are real and the few that are who might see you are not enforcers of the area. As long as you dodge his attention (which is easy, as he moves specifically in a way that lets you get in and out unnoticed), drugging him isn't much of an issue.

Also only Fire and Falling Object are 100% locational. Notably, AHBoS has one single Falling Object kill, and A Gilded Cage only has three I believe.

Do bodies dropped from above not count as Falling Objects?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Some Hitman Devs are doing a new XCOM/original Fallout mix that looks interesting:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/03/mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden-preview-a-how-the-minds-behind-hitman-are-mutating-the-xcom-formula

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I always mess up SA's but this one was super easy.

Started tech crew. Went around the top counter-clockwise to get screwdriver, ran down and rigged puddle, stood between the steps and the puddle so he had to walk around me and into the puddle. Didn't even have to use the coin.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Did the perfect 2-in-1 fire extinguisher kill in the restaurant by bumping the guard that was going to be standing closest to their table, nailing the timing perfectly. Then got caught by a camera as I was exciting, got spotted choking out a guard when I tried to erase the camera and ended up killing everyone in the drat hotel on my way out..

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

They should give us a full prologue campaign like the fake boat in season 1. Every mission from season 2 done in cardboard cutouts.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

A sniper minimission at a racetrack would make a lot of sense. It's not a location that would lend itself to the conventional social stealth form very easily.

Err, it totally would. You could have the grand stand accessible with all outfits, the pit area accessible with a team outfit, a tv/press area and the everpresent security quarters.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

The public actually knows about 47, however they just think he's some wierd freak who knocks people out and wears their clothes and does their jobs because he gets some kind of weird thrill from doing it. They havn't put two and two together.

Bonus fact: If you use the "Blend In" option with the appropriate outfit and don't leave the Blend In stance for 8 hours, you receive a paycheck the next friday ingame.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

My greatest wish for Hitman 2 is to allow for separate keybinds for silent stealth and loud melee attacks, that still gets me in 2016.

I'd like the option of taking someone out subliminally, liminally and superliminally.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I feel like 2 targets is the best number in most situations. Having 2 means you can't just gimmick one target and run away, you have to actually be able to continue the mission after the first kill. It does a lot to enforce stealth and creative solutions. More than 2 and you start running into limits to how many options you get on each target. Colorado is special because it's also the only map with no civilian social stealth at all, which makes it feel even worse with all the targets. To me, Sapienza would be perfect if there was a couple more ways to get the targets out of the villa/scientific compound and into the city proper. The virus has always annoyed me though. There's not enough options for taking it out, so despite having a huge, glorious map, you always end up being funelled into that drat cave.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Can someone explain this discrepancy to me:

The Requiem pack on the left is awarded to people who own the "legacy pack" or the "GOTY legacy pack".

But as far as I can tell, the legacy pack is free if you own the full Hitman (1) in any form.

Then what is the difference between the requirements for the Requiem pack and the Aluminum Travel Briefcase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

So there were three releases of Hitman 2016.
[...]

Thanks for this :)