Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Picked this up a while back, but stayed away from discussions so I could slowly play through it blind. Looking around now, iIt seems people like to poo poo on Bangkok a lot, but I love it. I may be biased towards hotel levels though, because it was Traditions of the Trade that cemented my love for Hitman... yeesh, 16 years ago :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah the Virus is obviously awful, but Sapienza is my clear favorite regardless. Don't much care for Colorado, but that's just personal preference; I prefer civilian maps to military ones in all Hitmans.

Are there bonus missions for the last two levels coming or is it just ETs until Season 2?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The problem must have been that I was Helmut Kruger, then. I figured the best way onto the gantry was through Dahlia's office, and the best way to her office was through the meeting, so I did the walk then went upstairs. Novikov seemed to have got stuck at that point.

Still, mission complete and that's another challenge down.

I think its a ton easier to sneak on from the attic, its super easy to get into and move around in.

Finally decided to go for my first Silent Santa on Colorado. Had to save scum a bit when some patrolling guards kept magically spotting a body through a wall with their x-ray vision, but other than that it was surprisingly painless. Now that I'm going through tackling weird challenges, however, I do finally have some actual (minor) complaints about the game: First off, those escalations with the invisible instant death minefields are the loving worst. You either gotta look up the solution and mimic it or spend forever tediously reloading while you search for the device. Its unfun in the worst way and there is more than one of these jobs for some insane reason. The other two are just small things, but it bugs me that you can't place items in those crates that guards drop unsecured weapons off in. Best you can do is drop a gun right next to it, but I find the guards will still spot it and walk over to pick it up and place it in the box. It just seems like a weird oversight. The other thing is why the hell can fleeing npcs open doors from like ten feet away? I've blown more than a few jobs now due to a spooked bystander warlock using his witchcraft to open a door from the center of the room and give everybody line of sight to the crime scene.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

BBJoey posted:

you can drop things in the weapon boxes, hold alt

:aaaaa:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

alt-placement of weapons is mentioned once in the tutorial (in a room you can actually completely skip going into)

Yeah, that must have been me. drat, that would have been super useful to know like a hundred hours ago...

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sure wish I could hear any of the ET's lines over those two assholes shouting over him about Abel de Silva from the other end of the restaurant.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Another ET where I ended up just knocking people out in a kitchen.

Yeah, first I thought it'd be easy because of the obvious (in retrospect) red herring, but of course that magically didn't work for whatever reason and so a dozen or so innocent people got some brain damage instead.

e: Kinda curious how so many people pulled off SA in ~40 seconds. I'm assuming cause a distraction and inject him with lethal poison or drop a fire extinguisher behind him and explode from the ground level? That was my first instinct, but I thought it was a bit risky for a one-shot.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2016

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Does anybody know if the explosive satchel unlock from hokkaido is considered by npcs as a "weapon" that they will pick up or think is suspicious? The only time I used it was for the African dictator ET where I put it in the booth in their cafe and blew it up with a breaching charge. I can't remember if they saw it and freaked or if they were just seeing the breaching charge.

The NPCs ignore the Explosive Compound, its the breaching charge they freaked out over.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

smuh posted:

doesn't excuse the enemic syringe not working at all :argh:

Might have just bugged out, some dude on reddit said he stuck him with the emetic, but he just barfed in some trash can by the bar so it doesn't really help.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone else notice the jarring difference in the chef's new VO for this target? He abruptly shifts to the world's worst French accent when speaking to the Critic. Guess its not surprising given that half the people in the game speak like surf bros for no reason, but this one really jumped out at me.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

smuh posted:

I haven't really noticed any bugs in the game otherwise (finished the final level yesterday, have 20 mastery in most maps) but man was this ET just a mess for me. Oh well, good to know the enemic wouldn't have helped anyways.

Turns out emetic does nothing when the target is alerted, which he was because of the fire alarm. Wonder if he'd go to the bathroom if you stuck him in the kitchen though, I wouldn't mind drowning that smug prick in a toilet.

I ended up just snapping his neck, but in retrospect I regret not just planting a chef's knife in the back of his skull for poetic justice.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tippis posted:

Because the poison is quicker and also not as obvious as the other two. A two-second gap lets you jab someone and walk away, all while your SA/SO status is intact; choking them out or garrotting them leaves you standing there for quite a while with an obviously murdered corpse in your hands, right as someone turns around.

After the fact, sure, but the animation is real deceptive and its easy to get caught in the act. It seems subtle, but eagle eyed npcs will spot that poo poo out of the corner of their eye from across the room and behind some plants & a fence, you need to make absolutely sure nobody has hope of seeing it. Hell, I've had my share of targets spot me do it with the eyes in the back of their head in the half second between the needle going into their spine and death.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

gently caress. Apparently, if you try to cheat the game by restarting before the guy finishes dying, it kicks you to the main menu and fails you. Well, that's an elusive target missed.

If you want to cheese it just hit escape and kill its network access/pull the cable if you're playing on console and just wait for it to kick you back to the main menu. Armed with that knowledge and the portable accident, now you too can can post endless videos of boring identical speed runs on youtube with the best of them.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT13nOcOSQ

By far the best run at the food critic I've seen so far.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

From another one of that guy's videos (they're all awesome, watch them):

Haha, is that you or just coincidence in names? Either way they are indeed awesome, I particularly enjoyed drowning the angel of death in a toilet

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

Two of the best recurring jokes in Hitman is that 47 constantly runs into people he shares an uncanny resemblance to and that he turns out to be immensely talented at literally any skill required of him.

Any skill but dancing

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Oof man. The last level of that Hokkaido escalation. I thought I had it. I hit the director with the emetic syringe when he checked on the lights, expecting him to go to the room behind the sauna to throw up, but he didn't. Is the answer just to hit him with the lethal syringe there instead? I forget if poisoning counts as an "accident". Maybe I should try and lure him from the electric thing, to the sauna room before syringing him, and that will guaratee it.

You only need to be wearing the ninja outfit when they die. I Knocked out the guard that patrols that outdoors ledge behind the sushi counter and lured one of the chef's out with the fusebox. Put his outfit on, ran in and poisoned the bowl of food the director tastes from on the opposite restaurant counter. Run back and switch back to the ninja outfit, hop over the ledge and climb the pipe down to the doctor's quarters. Crack the safe and sneak past the employee lounge into the restaurant bathroom the director goes down to puke in. I actually thought this Hokkaido escalation was one of the few that had me really scratching my head for a while. Many failed attempts of brazenly charging into the garden to chuck a katana at his head out of frustration.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

There's a few escalations that are literally impossible to get Silent Assassin on, because you're not allowed to pacify anyone and the only way to get a necessary disguise is to kill someone, like the Marrakesh one where you have to kill people as the masseur but you can't pacify someone, so you always have to get a non-target kill by offing the masseur for his sweat pants.

You can SA every escalation. In regards to that one in particular, Engstrom isn't the only way to get the masseur outfit there's one in the tunnel locker room

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

I wear it a lot because it makes me feel like some angel of death from a hong kong action film. Torn up hobo suit is good as well though.

It's really hard for me to pretend I'm in a John Woo flick without dual ballers.

What gives, IO?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah hitmanmaps doesn't cover escalation specific items.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

January update looking good, but why's the last bonus ep another Sapienza one instead of Colorado or Hokkaido?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sapienza is indeed joyous, but not when you butcher the map. I find no joy in the Icon and have never gone back after completing whatever challenges they gave it. Maybe I'm just the weirdo here

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Yeah removing the guard with rat poison'd sushi then emetic syringing novikov sounds like a pretty reliable way to do this. Unless he ends up puking in a garbage can or something, I haven't tried it.

Yeah, but after you poison the guard you don't have another opportunity to nab Novikov until he loops back around and won't the bodyguard be done puking by then?

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't actually know how you'd take down Dalia without knocking any guards out or leaving her ("accidentally" killed) body out in the open.

Show up to the auction as Rieper and kill her when she goes to the bathroom to call her friend about you.

efb

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, its a million times worse when you fail an ET that way like I did. I think it was the identity thief? :sigh:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

May require some reloads too, I've gotten screwed by head turns in that drat laundry room a few times.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Injections count as "accidents" right?

Nope.

The graphic seems to point to falling and drowning as the only options, but isn't setting people on fire with oil drums distinct from explosion accidents?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So is "non-lethal melee kill" fire extinguisher only? I did one contract like that successfully, tried another with a propane tank and failed. Very confused by the wording, especially since my first thought, neck snapping, proved to be false.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Where's that from? A 'non-lethal kill' is nonsense.

Check the last set of featured contracts. "Stunt Doubles" "I dream of genie" and uh.... there's another one too.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

That Vegas suit rules

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They also released a Pro support patch for it if you have that, but it runs pretty well on the standard model. I've only noticed framerate drops on one map and the odd audio stutter here or there, and I think the always-online requirement was recently patched out.

I play on PC, but judging from various Youtube videos, the only problem with consoles is doing extermination challenges on certain maps. Apparently it has problems with 200+ ragdolls on a map

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Share some of those contracts in here then. I just finished SAing all the non-sniper featured contracts (nor that goddamn vampire drowning one that seems impossible or at the least very tedious without the vault glitch) and am looking for more things to do. You're right about that uncaring void though. I'm not the greatest, but I was still able to consistently place in the 20s and occasionally top 10 on all of those contracts, so I can only assume that practically nobody ever plays them.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I'd just like to quickly mention how much I love the silent pistol melee kill. It warms a disturbing part of my body to see computer game characters subscribe to the double tap theory.

Personally I'd much rather it be a non-lethal pistol whip.

Discendo Vox posted:

Man, a couple of folks on the hitman forums are unbelievably salty about there being a kill restriction on this upcoming ET.

Lots of salt on reddit too and of course the loudest voices are all speed runners :rolleyes:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Hahahah I Bet it's 100% people mad they can't cheese it with fire extinguishers.

Of course it is, lots of outrage over not being able to do retarded poo poo like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmq_JCgnR4

e: Not to say that isn't an awesome kill, but it is a stupid gimmick nonetheless

Mondian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 13, 2017

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

e: I also threw him off a roof and didn't get my SA rating, so.

Same, I'm guessing they spotted his unconscious body mid-air. Motherfuckers.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGsSzUP_74

Pro

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nah, there's no way to SA this without some sort of glitch. At first I thought maybe the sedative might negate the body found like poison kills, but nope. There is no other mechanic to wake an unconscious person other than having them be found.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Pennfalath posted:

Someone on Reddit got the ET outside with coin tricks, and, well ...

https://gfycat.com/DeadSimpleAfricanharrierhawk

Was that CJ? Seems like the type of thing he'd do.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm surprised the guard that came up to the loft to check on noises didn't spot the charge, but still great nonetheless.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Compromised is weird. It doesn't always necessarily mean spotted. As explained by a notorious speed runner:

quote:

First off, compromised simply means that a npc knows that you commited a crime, and would be able to tell this to guards. But in itself it doesn't impact your score untill the npc actually talks with someone.
The key thing to know is that npc's are unable to see/spot/alert or basically do anything during an animation (any animation). So as long as they don't spot you doing anything illegal before the animation begins, you are fine. That's why legshots work. You shoot a npc in his foot, and he instantly goes into a falling animation. If you knock him out before he gets back up, you keep your SA status, but it will say ur compromised, because the npc does know a crime is commited.

Similarly you can do frontal non-lethal attacks and get compromised, but not spotted. Same with the loud subdues that happen on staircases.

e: In this specific case, he saw him doing the suspicious act of throwing a non-lethal object, but was too busy eating a flying weapon to the face to spot him. If I understand correctly, however, if that was a lethal weapon being thrown he would be spotted. I might not be right on that last bit, but I think so.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 16, 2017

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, here's another video by that same guy that demonstrates that mechanic repeatedly... and also proves how great the smg can be, despite nearly everyone bitching about how useless it is. Its a great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJoJNJLNX58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

So for spotted, does it mean they can't see me at all? I'm trying to better understand the conditions for the Himmipan Horror challenges in Banghok and also trying to understand the distinction for SA.

You know that white "I can see you" suspicion bar? You're spotted when that fills up, and it fills up at different rates depending on what you're doing. That's why you can get away with suspicious actions like throwing a branding iron or other tools, because they're legal items and its weird to throw them, but the bar doesn't fill up before they leave your hand. Brandishing illegal weapons (and comitting other crimes), on the other hand, fill the suspicion bar super fast/instantly depending on how well they can see you so aiming a gun or throwing a knife in view of someone will fill that bar and get you spotted.

The UI doesn't really give you much feedback on any of this so the results are often nebulous until you get to the score card.