Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This worked out with perfect comedic timing. It gets funnier every time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8rjmO561Wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Even the proportions of the player/NPC models seem to have been adjusted to feel more like Blood Money. It also seems to me like the graphics are less "gritty" than Absolution and more clean like Blood Money (which I love), but it's hard to tell for sure given that both beta missions are not "legitimate" locations and are slapped together with chipboard.

It really does feel like blood Money, though. I'm not saying it's all rosy though, since the game isn't out, but the beta is BM2.0 like some have said. The devs have definitely made an effort to make it feel similar to Blood Money and have succeeded, in my opinion. BM is one of my favourite games of all time (and I cancelled my pre-order for Absolution as the gameplay videos started to leak, if that adds to my cred) and I feel as comfortable exploring and experimenting in the beta for Hitman as I did in Blood Money. Maybe more so, with the cover mechanics. Given you can add/disable all sorts of other poo poo like minimap/hotspots/instinct, it seems like this is a good package, enabling hardcore and casual fans alike to have a good time. If they deliver on the unique contracts and keep supporting the game, this could be really special.

I won't tell anyone what to do with their money, but I would say it's definitely worth the minimum buy-in of $15, unless these beta missions are a complete misdirection, which I think is pretty unlikely.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 20, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

marktheando posted:

Yeah the proximity stuff is a bit annoying. I had managed to sneak, suit only, into the office on the boat level. Then plant a bomb by the computer and make my way to the speedboat for an exit. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Except because I didn't get close enough to trigger the relevant event, the target never went to his meeting. Damnit.

Thankfully this should be fairly easy to "fix" with Cheatengine, if the game is popular enough for some wizards to figure it out.

How practical the game will be to play with all events triggering straight away remains to be seen, however. As for problems with the beta, I had a crash in the around 2 hours I spent in it. Not too bad, especially since you have savestates and autosaves. It was a different story in the others. A crash could erase a lot of progress.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I also really liked the ejector seat kill from the Beta.

The way it was done also tells you all you need to know about the devs having a sense of humor like in the old games. I'm glad that there will still be ridiculous/light-hearted moments like that again. It is part of the franchise's charm.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The graphics haven't aged well

Seriously? When I play other games from the same year, I think the vast majority look worse than BM. The worst thing you could say about the graphics from a modern perspective is that they're kind of low-poly, but the art style has seen it age exceptionally well, in my opinion.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I really wish they'd give us the ability to turn off object indicators.

I really want to discover which objects are interactive on my own, but walking through the Paris level, I'm seeing little squares on everything (which are impossible to turn off, I've tried), and it kind of annoys me that I'll never get to "discover" those objects and potential opportunities myself.

One of the reasons Blood Money keeps me coming back a decade later is because I'm still discovering things I didn't know I could use/interact with, and seeing them all out in the open like this makes me think it's going to negatively affect the replay value for me.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Hitman: 6 levels in total plus prologue, staggered release

Hitman blood Money: 12 levels in total plus prologue, all came out at once.

Whats the reason for this.

Christ gamers these days are dense. Whether wilfully or not.

Games are a lot bigger, have more moving parts, and prettier than they were TEN YEARS AGO. It takes a lot longer and a lot more money to make them. There's more detail in the Paris map than all of BM combined. Probably 100x more polygons, sound effects, textures, etc. These maps are bigger, more detailed and have ongoing support. Also, SE wants to see how it goes before spending 50-100 million on development and marketing for a game that might not make it back. PUBLISHERS LIKE TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT WASTE IT MORE NEWS AT FIVE.

It gets really tiring seeing the same bullshit complaints, time and time again, especially when it's so obvious why these things are the way they are. Comparing games that are ten years apart in both design and budget and the difference in the industry is loving dumb. It's really loving dumb.

You don't have to like it, but it's about time people start accepting certain realities instead of whining about things because it isn't exactly like the times they remember with rose-tinted glasses. poo poo's different now, if you hate it so much go take up pottery or something.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Yeah guess what I'm not a Square-Enix shareholder so none of that means poo poo to me nor should it to you

Cause and effect and the reality of a business that has changed dramatically over the past decade shouldn't mean poo poo to me because I don't own shares in a company?

I might have been too generous when I used the word "dense".

Moartoast posted:

There's still a shitload to criticize in this game, especially on the technical side

Yeah, no kidding. I've just had this happen to me, and it's not a one-off, either. It seems to be 100% replicable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbY3Lnmw3SU

Trying to kill Sebastian Sato (the fashion dude) and hide his body without being caught for one of the challenges. A stylist will see you right through the mirrors and the wall every time. I dragged the body through a door, across the hallway, through another door, down a flight of stairs and stashed it in a closet in the basement. She sees that, too. Instantly. Through several walls and the floor. Every time. Thankfully there's another way to pull it off.

There's definitely sound problems, and the game runs a little worse than I'd expect it to. There's also some weird hitching problem where every now and then, the game will freeze a few times for seconds at a time, then go back to normal. I get the feeling it's a streaming issue, but I don't know for sure. Overall, though the core design of the game is great, and very promising.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I don't want to be a dick, but can we all agree that discussing ways of killing targets and unique ways of using interactible objects are spoilers and should be tagged appropriately?

The whole thing about Hitman (ESPECIALLY this Hitman with it's episodic model and map size/scripting) is that it's really replayable because of the amount of experimentation and discovery, and reading through the thread casually only to glance over a cool way to kill a target kinda robs people of the sense of discovery or thought process that goes into figuring it out for themselves.

Yes, they aren't traditional spoilers, but Hitman isn't a traditional game. It's one of the most sandboxy games ever made and the story has never really mattered compared to the gameplay. It makes sense to tag anything related to the assassinations or the interactable objects, because once you know all about those things, there's nothing left to discover.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like this is the kind of game where the assassination strategies are the only thing worth discussing, so if you're worried about that stuff being spoiled then just don't come into the thread. What else is there to talk about in a Hitman game?

Everything other than the strategies of the game? Like the quality of various aspects, the scripting, sharing videos, stories of when you hosed up or succeeded, stories about the elusive targets, escalation or contracts mode? There's plenty to discuss about the game that isn't specific to stuff that a player might want to discover (Which I'll stress again is the main point of a Hitman game for the more hardcore fans)

It's entirely possible to still discuss the game but to black out specifics for people who would rather not see them. Sure, there might be more tags in this thread than the average game thread, but this is a different kind of game. It only takes a few seconds to add a tag, and it benefits people a lot more than it inconveniences you.

I like reading about things in Hitman games, and I can usually tell before spoiler tags if I'm already privy to certain information so I can freely reveal the rest of the info and enjoy the story and how it differed or related to mine.

It's not a big deal to tag certain things is what I'm saying.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Most if not all the opportunities are outlined in the Opportunity menu.

They're also able to be turned off via the options for precisely the reasons I've stated: because people want to discover them for themselves since that is a big draw for Hitman games and why people still play Blood Money 10 years later.

I'm not asking people not to talk about anything. Just asking for some spoiler tags. It's really not a big deal, and not unreasonable at all, but I guess if people are so hostile to the idea then maybe I should look for a better place to discuss the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can shoot people in the face

Clever.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

I'm criticizing the idea that development resources are increasingly put into creating more detailed and beautiful locations at the expense of being able to create more GAMEPLAY. It's a move from the focus on the level as being the dynamic factor, and a move towards making the things in the level dynamic therefore decreasing the need for more levels. It's a great way to fool people into thinking they are getting the same amount of content, but in actuality it's just a skinner-box of "challenges" that keep you playing and not novelty.

Nah, you're just one of those bandwagon whiners who hate everything about gaming while indulging in it anyway. You aren't fooling anyone. You earnestly think that because people enjoy something that you don't that they're "brainwashed" or don't know any better. There's also the possibility that they enjoy games the way they are, y'know? What you don't realise is that the industry has moved on and you're a loving idiot who can't move with it and has to blame everyone else for not conforming to your idea of fun.

Sorry to burst that bubble of yours, chum.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Speaking of easter eggs: In "The Icon", anyone notice the reference to the rehab map in Blood Money?

The earth globe with booze in it in an upstairs office

Also, the Iron Man knockoff suit should be some kind of unlock that you can wear into any other mission at the expense of achievements and challenges, etc being disabled. Basically a developer sanctioned god mode, just for loving around.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Gary Busey is up. Go get him!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

dc3k posted:

I dunno what it is, but Marrakesh kinda killed the game for me. I put 60 hours into Paris and Sapienza, and have played Marrakesh just enough to finish it once.

Gonna give it a shot again now though. I'd like to shoot Gary Busey in the face at least.

The night markets bonus mission in Marrakesh is soooo much better than the vanilla map. Might even be the most atmospheric setting in the game so far, I think. Plenty of good opportunities, too.

RE: Getting seen through walls, I had this happen once. Seen through multiple walls AND floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbY3Lnmw3SU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

the person who detects through walls seems to always be the same

In my experience, it's a problem with a specific NPC. It carries over play sessions, too. The coin might have something to do with it, but I haven't noticed a correlation. I guess a good way to test it would be to use another object as a distraction and see if the results vary.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Between the seconds long hitches in DX12, the awful performance of DX11, completely random crashes, Marrakesh being underwhelming, certain mastery challenges not triggering, being "spotted" even when I'm never actually spotted (loving up careful SASO runs), I'm really starting to dislike this game. I gave Sapienza a glowing review on Steam. Gave Marrakesh a pretty scathing one. I'm still holding up on reviewing the "base" game. (Or is that just Paris). I'm giving them until a few weeks after the next episode is released and if these things haven't been addressed I'll probably just leave a negative review and bail on the rest. Amusing, since almost all of the negative reviews are pissbabies harping on the online component on principle, while the game has much more glaring issues.

They finally "get" what fans wanted from this game, and it has all the parts to be a brilliant game, but it's still mired in so many technical issues it's almost not worth the hassle and frustration.

I have a pretty high end PC (16GB RAM i7-3770k, GTX980), drivers etc are up to date. Hundreds of other games on Steam and no issues with those. It's a drat shame.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Lower your graphics settings.

Tried that. Went as far as medium for everything before deciding that if I have to go lower than that for stable gameplay with my specs, then the fault is on the devs. Still no dice. The seconds-long lockups and crashes persist.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Tippis posted:

for some “what are you doing?!” hair-pulling frustration action, Giant Bomb has followed up their beta and episode run-throughs with a couple of competitive elusive target episodes.

There's really no better way of describing watching them play Hitman. They are both really awful at the game, but I'll say that Dan can at least make it enjoyable to watch where as Brad always spends the majority of his time blundering around just searching for the objectives, never standing still enough to really look for anything, then when it's time to act, he agonises about his decisions until whatever opportunity he had passes. Dan even chastises him about it in this vid.

The end of this video had him doing some of the dumbest poo poo I'd ever seen him do. he waited far too long to KO the guard, then when he did, he changed into the disguise BEFORE concealing the body. That, and earlier he did his trick of running while crouched despite having been seen.

At this point I'm not sure I want Brad to change. It's maddening watching him play, but there's something hilarious about how he never seems to learn anything and makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

doctor iono posted:

I know they said they were "one time only", but do you guys think they'll rotate through the Elusive Targets again when the season is over? I just got the game yesterday, missed so many :(

I think it's more likely that they'll be released as DLC in chunks of four or if we're lucky, a bulk pack.

Either way, there's virtually zero chance that they are really "gone forever". It's a huge waste that will only hurt the game in the long run. There's no reason to abandon perfectly good content when it can be sold or used to sell more copies of the game later.

And I'm totally fine with that. I can't wait to play a "complete" edition of this game one day with all of those different contracts to play, replay and perfect.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

My, Bangkok is out.

(Go download it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well here's my run of the pharmacist. Nothing amazing, but kind of amusing since I never lay eyes on her and escape the second she dies.

https://youtu.be/wCFu-mqRm2Q