Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'M WORRIED PLEASE TELL ME TO NOT BE WORRIED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Nakar posted:

Getting all zeroes on a mission (in the pre-2016 score system) was not really intended to be possible until Blood Money. It's mostly because of people trying to do it in 2 and Contracts that things like Accidents were added to ensure that perfect scores were possible on all maps.

That said, I seem to recall you only have to fire a gun once in the entirety of Hitman 2, and it isn't where you would think.

I didn't even bother to try all zeroes, just getting Silent Assassin was good enough for me. I still have nightmares about Hidden Valley.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I guess I shouldn't have wished for news on this, huh.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I just hate this uncertainty. All we got is a rumor saying the IP is going with IOI and now this news that IOI is going to be laying people off. We know nothing solid, no news of interested parties, whether a deal is currently being hashed out or not, the status of existing games. Just drives me mad.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I can't find exactly where it was said, but supposedly, Squeenix is in talks with a buyer right now.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Absolution is much better when you bum a key off someone for free. Gameplay isn't bad, it's just the plot and "edge" that gets in the way.

Regarding the old Hitmans, I made sure to play them in order to avoid any of those problems with aged gameplay. If you can get through Codename 47, you can get through anything.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Counter-counterpoint, its literally not worth your time, get a better game like one of the old Thief games, one of the other Hitman games or MGSV.

Counter-counter-counterpoint: What if you already played the poo poo out of those games? Absolution exists and it's cheap even if you can't find someone to bum a key off of.

Anyway, news on the grapevine is that Squeenix is "negotiating with prospective external investors capable of ensuring that these titles carry on". It looks like an IP sale might be on the table. Certainly sounds like they'd at least be willing to license it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I enjoyed Absolution a great deal once I began pretending it was a Kane and Lynch game.

God knows they showed up enough in it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hitman-may-survive-sale-of-developer-io-interactiv/1100-6450365/

This sounds they are willing to part with the IP. If not, they certainly sound like they'd be open for a licensing agreement. This does not appear to be a "sit on an IP doing nothing with it while at the same time preventing anybody from using said IP by refusing any reasonable licensing deals" situation.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Finally took the plunge and picked up HITMAN™ and wow, the levels past the prologue are loving HUGE, especially after getting used to Absolution's boxed-in, linear levels. Really like the updates to the Suspicion system, it has the good mechanics of Absolution without the annoying Instinct system, though point shooting will be missed. Looks great though I get major FPS droppage in crowds on this computer. Thinking about maybe upgrading, a 760 just ain't quite cutting it anymore.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

i have a 5? 6? year old 7850 and all you have to do is drop the graphics settings down

it's basically unnoticeable unless you put on the delivery driver costume in sapienza, which has blurry text on the back. game still owns and looks amazing though

But I love my textures and anti-aliasing...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The most baffling thing about Hitman is all the people who say "I decided to wait until the whole game was done, but when it finally was I'd lost interest". Lost interest in what? The game's still good! It didn't change! You can get exactly what you wanted now! I've seen a ton of people say that and it's mind boggling.

Wait so they are saying that they wanted to play it before but when the whole thing was finally out, they decided they didn't actually want to play it after all? Are they only interested in games that are "new" and "hot" and since episodic games are delayed, they find that they don't fit those conditions by the time they completely come out?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

You'd think that stealth games would have taught people to be a little more patient but I guess not.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wait so is this game dead now? No season 2?

We don't know. That's what's so frustrating.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I'm now wondering how the hell they managed to pull it off.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

It's more due to the fact that you don't get something for nothing so I'm wondering how they were able to get enough to buy their freedom.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

HEY GUESS WHO FORGOT TO ERASE THE VIDEO EVIDENCE FOR THE ET STOPPING THEM FROM GETTING A SILENT ASSASSIN? :v:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Theswarms posted:

I think it's because it's a bundle only now, yeah.

EDIT: It's ungiftable even if you add it to bag without being logged in as "the contents are personalised to your account".

No giving friends the gift of Hitman I guess.

You could try getting a key third-party and handing over the key to them directly but yeah, gifting is all hosed up.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

It would be funny to have to go after a guy who's got a Gaddafi-style all-female bodyguard staff

I don't recall 47 ever dressing in drag. Would be a first!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

The KAI sabotage is one of the most unsettling things I've seen rendered in a videogame. Effectively steam burning Yamazaki alive in the sauna is pretty drat brutal as well.

Sauna death isn't anything new though. You can kill one of the Fuchs brothers that way and actually, it's easier than drowning him as shown in that cinematic.

In regards to what 47 does off-duty, we DO know he likes pet canaries though he is not adverse to breaking their poor tiny necks. He might also like the color pink based off of how much pink paint he had for that one safe house of his in Blood Money?

Lareine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2017

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Slight change of topic, has anybody ever seen 47 actually eat anything? I've only seen him drink, even in game when you blend in as a guest. He drinks there, he actually takes a sip. But eating? Don't recall in any of the games him ever taking a bite. In Absolution, he could hide as a cop by going over to a doughnut box and holding a doughnut in front of his face but he never actually ate it or made any attempt to.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Right, so they were saying something about new and updated mechanics. This both excites and terrifies me.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Well, I hosed THAT UP!

Pro tip: Do not blindly run through a crowd with a leaking propane canister.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Third time in a row I've failed. Propane canister again. Placed a leaking one on the table they sit at and waited. At this point, I've been playing for awhile and getting impatient so I didn't let the brother to step far enough away from the table before shooting the canister.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

The only two things I miss from Absolution are point shooting and the ability to go into vents.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I had this thought a while ago too - they could pretty easily bring Victoria back from Absolution, aged up a bit, and make her into a counterpart for 47 since they both have similar backstories (granted this kind of nullifies the whole story arc of Absolution but if anything that's probably a good thing). Could spin it as a "Leon: The Professional" type thing where the experienced 47 teaches her the tricks of the trade which would also explain why she ends up using the same silly disguise and accident tactics that 47 loves so much.

I doubt they will. They want to forget Absolution ever happened and I don't blame them.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I wish unimportant conversations were subtitled too.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean most of the people you have killed over the years in the hitman games are pretty hosed up monsters of various sorts. i mean the most grey of them is a former gangster turned state who is trying to escape the life with his wife and kids and a lovely businessman who didn't build his park to code and is now the lap dog of some petty crime lord. the rest are either hosed up deviants, psycho reactionaries, criminals, or hosed up paul manafort type fixers.

Penelope Graves was a hard one. Through and through, a decent person who just wanted to do the right thing and we killed her anyway because we weren't on the same side yet. Also, that bird in Blood Money. 47 squished it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Guy at the muffin stand keeps repeating the same dialogue about going to see Helen but never actually goes. I'm pretty sure there's another uniform in the house but what if I wanted to hunt down an innocent muffin stand man and take his clothes instead, huh?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

repiv posted:

It was barely cracked, the game technically runs but it can only load the Hitman 1 prologue missions.

Doesn't stop people crying for the immediate removal of Denuvo and unlockages for the regular preorderers.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

The only other one is Freedom Fighters. Square owns Kane and Lynch.

I don't know why that's the one Squeenix wanted to keep.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Regarding the series overall, the stories were always kind of off in terms of quality. Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 are loving masterpieces compared to the dumpster fire that is Absolution but even if you disregard Absolution entirely, they are still an above-average Hitman story. Codename 47's story was quite clumsily executed, Silent Assassin's was confusing and anti-climactic in regards to the bad-guy's motivations, Contracts was a simple "47 is thinking about stuff while he bleeds out, this is an excuse to remake the first game" and Blood Money was serviceable but clumsy with some of the details. Hitman S1 and 2 manages to be fairly coherent and not overly ridiculous in comparison. Manages to not completely poo poo all over the loose lore developed by the previous iterations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

Absolution had the really dumb leather nuns you had to kill, right?

Yes. We... try really hard to not think about Absolution and aside from a few references here and there, IOI tries not to think about it either.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I 100%'d Absolution, a real hitman isn't afraid of a bit of dirty work.

I was pretty close to 100 percenting Absolution until I realized how unfun it was. Absolution's story and setting were trash but the biggest failing of Absolution was it feeling like a chore to play. Especially bits like Blackwater Roof where the challenges felt like you were pulling your own teeth. Around that point, I thought "why the gently caress am I doing this? I'm not getting anything for it". I will likely never play Absolution again.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I unapologetically love Hitman Absolution. While I loved Blood Money too, I appreciated the change in style.

I would give Absolution more of a pass if it was actually fun. A game can be good even if it's got a trash story but poo poo like the orphanage, where everyone is wearing a mask yet are still able to recognize that you aren't one of them? Who thought that was a good idea? Linear levels with only one way to get through? The only thing I really miss about Absolution was the point-shooting. That was legitimately fun.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Does the advanced training mission go over new stuff like using mirrors or is it not worth bothering if I'm already a season 1 assassin-ista.

No. It's pretty much exactly the same except with foliage to hide in.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It also got cracked 4 days ago, unfortunately.

The crack doesn't work.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Pump-Action Gerbil posted:

Absolution was terrible, but the game engine was great. Shooting, takedowns and disarms were a big improvement. It's too bad there was no mission planning, targets or story to use them on.

The shooting was pretty fun, yeah. I also liked how if poo poo went down, you actually had a chance to fight them off. That's kind of the downside to Hitman Season 1 and 2, not much room for fun with guns aside from sniper rifles.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone find a use for all the octane boosters in the robot lab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I slammed his head down on the pen when he was looking at it in the lab. Had to get rid of most of his body guards to get that to work though. Get a custom kill animation for that.