Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Worst Mission:

1) Snowstormy Japan one with ninjas and snipers

The most hilariously bad part of this mission is when Ninjas would hit each other with trucks, find the body, then blame you for the death. This seemed to happen every time I tried to do a Silent Assassin run.

Anyway, this game seems to have had quite a bit of retooling. I remember at one point people said it would be open world, but now it isn't? I hope not, I'm burnt out on open world and I think Hitman benefits from denser rather than larger environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Shamus Young had a really good lets play of Absolution, and they noticed that about Square Enix too. Their theory, which I think is plausible, is that at some point Square Enix sunk a poo poo ton of money in state of the art motion capture tech and the resulting sunk cost fallacy demanded that spend massive amounts of resources on lengthy cut-scenes and over-intrusive plots in games that really didn't need them to get their moneys worth. It would also help explain the way the most recent Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games which also feel like Hollywood movies at many points, but at least it works better there since they remembered to hire actual writers.

The only thing I remember about the Absolution cut scenes were the tongues. I had just never seen such beautifully mocapped tongues before.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

From what I could play before getting fed up with Hitman: Miami it felt really nice to have a modern AAA Hitman game that has budget for little bits of polish like guards turning you away with different lines depending on your outfit and other little stuff like that.

e: is it possible to kill targets with only the sniper rifle in BM without resorting to a) super cheese like shooting them in the back or sedating them and shooting them later or b) getting your cover blown

I loved assembling that sniper rifle, so I went through each stage looking for a practical reason to use it. The only stage I found where you can use the sniper rifle to get silent assassin and it isn't more difficult than fiber wire or silenced pistol is House of Cards. From the German guy's apartment you can snipe the person who inspects the package through his window. You may or may not also be able to snipe the person you meet when you drop off the package (Mohammad Bin Faisal Al-Khalifa according to Hitman wiki!), I always fiber wired him. I think you had to save the sniping for last, or it would screw up the trade.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Cool the servers are down.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. I know I could just play offline, but I really wanted to get into the extra online stuff. Hopefully they fix the problem or pay the ransom to whoever's DDoSing them or whatever they need to do to get the servers back up quickly.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Moartoast posted:

Hitman seems a lot more CPU intensive than GPU. Most performance issues caused with modern cards are evidently dipping when panning the camera/running towards LOD/Shadow heavy areas, primarily crowds. There's probably also some issues from the (actually pretty ambitious) reflections going on, since they're not just simple cubemaps/screenspace things and are actually lower-res rerenders of the scene, seemingly with most lighting and shadows intact.

This would also explain why my AMD FX-fitted PC gets way better performance on DX12 than DX11 (ignoring crashes and buggy stuttering), but peeps like Digital Foundry get like 1-2 FPS boost at most on a more single-core capable Intel CPU.

This is true. I have a GTX 970 with an i5 750 (yes, the first i5) overclocked to 3.3 Ghz. It actually runs really well with a few of the less important graphical settings set to medium. I can't tell the difference between high, and I get a consistent 50fps. However I was toying around with a Leap Motion on my computer earlier, and when I went to play Hitman the framerate was total inconsistent garbage. Eventually I figured out it was due to the processing power being taken up by the Leap Motion, which does a lot of processing on the CPU while active. I'm guessing all those AIs are CPU hogs.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's annoying as gently caress. Trying to avoid the non-target kill penalty is impossible

This happened to me with one of the guards, I assumed my finger slipped. From a realism point of view, I guess if you're strangling people into hour+ long comas you're probably going to end up killing a fair number of them, to say nothing of the severe brain damage the ones who wake up will have.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

Fuuuuuck.

Did they at least bring the suitcase back?

Not yet, but they put out a questionnaire asking on a scale of 1 to 10 how much we wanted the suitcase back, so it'll probably get patched in with a future episode.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think the elusive target will be around until the end of the weekend, so you haven't missed anything yet. I do think a weekend is kind of a short window, like give me two weeks or something what if I'm busy? I don't always have time to game like I used to.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm never getting the "never spotted" award. I'm clearing all camera evidence, and guards never become suspicious of me, so I have no idea what's going on. Do people have to literally never see me at all (no static sound and indicator)? I feel like something is broken.

Fortunately I still got the silent assassin award for the elusive target, but I only got 4 out of 5 hitmannies on the score screen.

I took him out by stripping one guard off with a coin distraction in the garage, then when he was looking over some railing I distracted the other guard with a coin and pushed him over. I was dressed as a chef the whole time.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Count me in as one of the barge buddies. I don't even think that method is worth spoilering since it's the completely obvious, low scoring, safe, "screw this I want this to be over" way to complete the mission, but I will just in case. I guess I'll just speed run my way to future targets in case they have any time dependent actions in their loops, because I wasted a lot of time watching him go through his loops thinking he must take a sip from a glass or something.

For the record I tried setting off the fire alarm but it did nothing. It might be interesting to try setting off an explosion near the party to see if people evacuate, but I was too scared I'd wind up killing myself doing that somehow.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I got Silent Assassin and Suit Only this time. Nothing confirmed the latter achievement, but I have it in my heart. I did play a little lame by restarting though.

I ran right for the parking lot. When one of the agents went to check out a truck, I lured him into the middle room by chucking coins. After knocking him out I activated the nearby radio to see if I could peel off another guard, and to my surprise the target himself went to turn it off. I lured him towards the center room, but started taking him out near the little truck thing and then a guard noticed me. Thank god I hadn't used fiber wire, and hadn't yet broken his neck. I restarted and did the whole thing cleanly.

All in all it was pretty quick.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I cheesed it a little. I put rat poison in the wine. The target gets his brother to test it, but that doesn't mean you can't just put the poison in as a chef once he puts the glass down, even though they're both watching you. But the game got the last laugh by saying I was spotted during the score screen, taking away my rightful SA rank. No suspicious people and never spotted by cameras, so I don't know what's up with that.

The servers were really flaky so I didn't think I'd be able to finish this contract at all, so I'm glad about that at least.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Well that sucks about the bonus missions. I guess as long as I still break even at this point I'll get the upgrade, assuming they even get the servers running for me again.

I've tried to get back into this game since the last elusive target. I thought I'd head back in and unlock some of the achievements, but the servers are complete garbage and keep locking up. They really should have just made the campaign missions and achievements/unlocks offline, it would have saved them a lot of grief in the user reviews. I mean who cares if someone cheated to get all the unlocks? I just want to complete some challenges drat it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I got Buessey by using coins to lure all the guards into the building with the singing woman, knocking them out, then doing the same to Buessey . I haven't done the deed and killed him, just in case people find Easter eggs I want to see or something. I was a little disappointed that if you pull a gun on him he just reverts to regular civilian voice and doesn't have any special lines.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Thief posted:

If you bump into Busey enough he reverts to default male npc sayings.

I was luring Busey down the darkened alley next to the anchor monument. As I did so he reverted to normal NPC voice and started sounding frightened. Finally he was all alone with no one in sight, he whimpered "I didn't like the sound of that..." just before I strangled him to death with my fiber wire. There was something disturbing about having him drop the crazy persona and sound frightened just before killing him. Goodnight sweet prince.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I lured her and her bodyguards into the stairwell just behind the runway using coins. I think they need to nerf coins slightly. Like maybe if someone sees someone else go after a noise, they wont go after another noise unless that person comes back. I've become entirely too lazy with my strategies. I also just realized the poison syringe counts as an accident. No more body hiding for me!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm wondering what they'll do for subsequent seasons. I imagine in Japan we're going to get a sedative syringe (will make me feel less guilty about knocking out civilians), and maybe if we're lucky a suitcase sniper (with full assembly animations!). But that's about it for obvious unlocks. Are they just going to pull an "Agent 47 lost all hist stuff! Unlock it all... again!"?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

How about a "forgetmenow" syringe: stab a witness with it, and they both get knocked out AND are removed from the witness counter/don't remember 47 if woken. Also the collapsible rifle is totally awesome, and I'm pretty sure they know it and are saving it for something. I could see them making a collapsible rifle version of each of the existing rifles if they really want to fill up the unlockables list. They just better have the assembly animation, it doesn't have the same oomph without it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I like the new stage. I was a little worried about the 'all hostile all the time' thing people were talking about, since that sounded like the worst parts of Absolution, but there's plenty of social stealth on the map and I found it pretty fun. I did find it funny that the first location where they hired voice actors with new accents is America.

UrbicaMortis posted:

My prediction is that monologuing sniper dude at the end is another clone assassin who grew up in the same place as 47.Blood Money ended with 47 having a shoot out with a clone assassin, so I can see them doing it again.

It sounds like they escaped together at one point and things went bad. I kind of hope you wont end up killing him, but I'm not counting on too much from the story. So far sniper guy helped ID the ICA mole so you don't really have a beef with him. The story is inoffensive pulp which mostly stays out of the way, which is all I want from Hitman. It is funny how shocked Diana is that something is rotten inside the ICA, considering the last two games have had Diana personally reset the ICA after it became corrupt/infiltrated. Maybe it's time to pack the ol' ICA in and just join up with crazy sniper guy for season 2.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I knocked out the courier just to see if he had anything on him and instant failed the mission. At least I no longer have the pressure of all completed ETs. In retrospect it was pretty stupid to knock out the courier, but I still feel like that should have been a restart and not a fail. :saddowns:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

A pretty easy SA. I thought about trying to get him with the chandelier on the stairs, but by the time I noticed and set up the shot he had just cleared it. When he went on the balcony I quickly threw a coin to distract the guard, and managed to push him over without being noticed. Thinking back it was kind of risky.

I'm also kind of hoping that was the last Paris ET, I really would like to explore the later maps more.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't had the connection fail since around the time of Marrakesh, but it was pretty irritating. I'm not bothered by the online stuff, but I'm sympathetic to the people who are, since I used to worry a lot more about things like that. What if season 2 bombs and Square cuts the servers, or just decides to cut them n-years from now for whatever reason? I just like knowing all my games are still going to work in the future, but care less about that now that I have no free time anyway. It would be nice to have campaign(already offline)/unlocks/escalations all be offline, with the online only needed for the leader board/ETs/contracts.

That said, I think it's pretty ridiculous that people are tanking the Steam score with reviews like "best Hitman ever! But online bad! (50 hours played, not recommended)".

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I noticed the Chinese radio. I mean I guess it makes sense, the mechanic could be a foreign worker.

khwarezm posted:

SBH himself really didn't like the always online thing and felt that certain elements of the design, primarily the Elusive targets, mostly existed to penalize players who hadn't bought it as soon as possible.

That's interesting. I wait for at least a 50% off sale before I buy games, but Hitman I bought full price since I didn't want to miss out on any ETs. They don't really bother me because their transient nature is what makes them fun in the first place, and the game has plenty of content without them. As regular contracts they would be boring, but as one time missions without a second chance they're one of the most exciting parts of the game for me.

Also who is SBH?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The music also had more of a spy thriller feel to it in this Hitman, compared with the more atmospheric songs from the previous entries. Jesper Kyd is probably pretty busy these days, but his soundtracks really went a long way in building the atmosphere of the previous games for me.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Is anyone finding Hitman is thrashing their hard drive? Every time I start it up I hear non-stop grinding on my disk drive, made even stranger by Hitman being on my SSD. To make maters worse I played for an hour and Samsung magician says I made 200GB of writes to the SSD.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Hah, it turns out I'm just an idiot. It was actually a fan next to the hard drive that sounds exactly like the hard drive does when it spins up to 100%. Hitman is just the only game I have which makes the computer hot enough to do that. As to why 200GB was written while I played, I may never know, but it hasn't repeated itself.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The Colorado suit should have an Alekhine's Gun variant with two hats.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I just coined him into the downstairs washroom. Had to knock out a nosy model first time, then his bodyguard, but got him on the third go. I was planning to poison the caviar, but he got to it just before I could add the poison. Hell yeah, looking good shabby in my new terminus suit.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Part of the appeal for me is that those things are just lost forever. Like tears in the rain.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

If I own up to and including Marrakesh, is buying the upgrade pack a waste of my money? What do those of us suckers who came on for the ride do about the remaining content and bonus stuff?

e: the op, like most ops in /games/ is loving worthless.

The upgrade pack contains 2 (plus there's supposed to be a 3rd? that you would get for free when it comes out) extra mini episodes. I don't think you can buy them separately at the moment, but I heard talk that they would be bundled for near the price of a regular episode once they all come out. I think that edges it out for the upgrade pack. It's also 50% off on Steam right now.

Edit: Wait, I double checked the prices and it's really hard to say unless we know the prices of the bonus episodes.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 19, 2016

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

My favorite in a while. Every level made me adjust my tactics from the last, even for identical objectives. I managed to SA level 5 with a pretty brisk pace of 4:40 but looking at leaderboards some have done it in 2 minutes!

Every time I look at an escalation leader-board there's always at least 20 people who have done it in 2 minutes at the top, even when that makes zero sense to me. They need to implement a downloadable replay system.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

SA'd the ET using what appears to be an unlocked door pathing glitch. I unlocked the door to the shisha cafe's service room and the target, as well as a few civilians, started regularly pathing through it. I bumped into her guards so that they lagged a little too far behind, then pricked her with the poison needle while she went through the unlocked room alone. My backup plan was to knock her guards out by the fortune teller's place but it was taking too long to pan out.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think it's a reference to the Terminus Hotel level from Absolution where he first wears that suit and has a cut up barcode.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

This. They patched it to simplify it.

I just restarted the Thailand level to get this, and noticed they removed the security system by the back gate. I also noticed Sapienza has a new pathing glitch where people walk through the right pantry entrance to get down to the beach while I was killing the ET.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 17, 2016

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I put the fire extinguisher behind the ET's chair while he was in the kitchen and placed a breaching charge on it. I bumped into his bodyguard while he was walking back just to make sure I only killed the target. Then I stupidly ran in front of a camera and made someone suspicious on my way out. The winter coat eludes me again! Also the killer accident fire extinguisher is stupid, it should work that way with propane tanks instead :colbert:

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 31, 2016

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

This ET had a few strange points. The first one was when I dressed as regular security to try to get into her floor. The guard dialog was generic complements so I assumed I could go in, but when I passed them it immediately entered combat. This kind of stuff is pretty annoying in one shot ETs, but fortunately I was able to jam on escape and restart before dying.

Then there's the breaching charge to get at the files. I tried stealing the red hat general's disguise, thinking he would be able to get them, but it wouldn't let me take his uniform. Using a breaching charge seems too weird to be the intended way to get them. Two other methods I thought of were:

1. Place guns directly in front of the guards to distract them while they walk over to the gun box. I tried doing this without using the key, and it doesn't buy you much time.

2. Ring the fire alarm to see if they clear out. Anyone tried this?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

You can loot the key from the target's body, but the guards in the security room will flip out if you try to use it. You might be allowed to use it if you disguise yourself as the red beret guy who comes to check on the safe from time to time, I'm not sure.

I knocked him out but it wouldn't let me take his disguise. It might have been a glitch tough.

I missed the video earlier, so it sounds like the alarm is the trick.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I also got magically spotted through a wall while sticking the male target after his conversation. Fortunately I managed to book it to safety before anyone started pulling their guns out, and I already have the winter coat.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like I was supposed to get ET with how formulaic it played out, but was lucky to just get out after things went slightly wrong. I went for the car opportunity.

I knocked out the two goons next to his car, and hid them in that little corral near the back. With them out of the way I blew the car up with a mine. The ET came out with his entourage, then went behind a truck to pee off the cliff. Fortune favors the bold, so I ran back there and kicked him off, but one of the stage crew guys spotted it. I made it out but no ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Wow, so that's finally it for Hitman. This really sucks. You'd think Season 2 would have been really cheap to produce now that they have the rest of the game in place and just needed to pump out stages.