Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched Giant Bomb play this and though I didn't like any of the Hitmans besides Blood Money (which I didn't finish) I think this new one looks amazing. I love that it's just a handful of huge maps with various objectives to go do and learn instead of a regular linear structure. Does it play better on PS4 or PC? Should I just start with the intro mode to see if I like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks guys, I have a pretty beefy pc so I'll give the starter pack a shot on PC and see how I like it. Anything I should keep in mind compared to Blood Money (which I was rear end at but that's half the fun)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm an hour in, just got to Paris. This game is incredibly cool and a lot of fun! Even the fuckups are great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm surprised there's any plot at all to be honest. Though it's funny they keep dancing around 47's goofy origins. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little thing in a game loaded with little things but I think the thing I like best is that you don't have to complete the mission for challenges to save. You can complete them then immediately die or leave or whatever and it will stay completed. That's so nice compared to how most games do it.

Also jeez, even the two prologue missions have a lot of ways to tweak them. I haven't even loaded Paris yet. Definitely going to pick the whole thing up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You're going to be pretty blown away by Paris if you think the prologue missions are detailed. It and the other major levels are a whole other league.

I have some questions here:

Why can everyone hear my gunshots over the fireworks? I'm trying to shoot the target by using them as a distraction from the second floor, except I can't aim over the balcony, and doing it from behind has the guard get instantly alerted to my silenced pistol and zero in on me.

Is there a way to know which guards will attack me for not being a black-suited guard? Half of them just wave and say hi.

How do I NOT punch someone out? Crouching and hitting X is just getting up and whaling on them.

e: Why does it take two shots to the head from the silenced pistol to kill someone?

e: I equip the garrote. I sneak behind the guy. I press "Garrote"....he punches the guy.

Got the first guy! I was able to sneak into a corner and get him, then walked past his bodyguard. The controls are a bit awkward but this is really fun.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes people can hear/see you through walls and stuff, its a little buggy and kinda sucks. I haven't had it happen too much but different people report issues at different places.

For the sniping during fireworks thing, have you noticed There's a secret little dock area outside if you go down the stairs in the garden? It lets you climb up a ladder to get on top of a crane, which is the perfect sniping vantage point, and nobody will notice. That said, they'll figure out more or less where the shot came from and come running so getting out after you snipe from there can be a little hairy, but I've managed to sneak out right under their noses and grab the helicopter exit

I did not! I'll keep that in mind for later. I was also trying to just drop a bust on his head but it's impossible to aim blind lol. I did eventually get him by sneaking more. The real fun's going to be replaying and learning how it all works together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone just told me to do my Blue Steel look. :haw:

Also how is it nobody cares that I'm dropping winches everywhere but the entire floor cared I broke glass? That's silly.

e: The lady was easy to murder as Zoolander! I got a score of Zero for killing five guys and taking half an hour lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would also like to say I'm glad it doesn't care how much I reload because I'm breathtakingly bad at this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What am I doing wrong that the silenced pistol isn't a one shot kill to the head?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marktheando posted:

Too far away probably. A lot of the weapons are dogshit past their effective range.

Does it have a range of like five feet? I'm pretty close.

Also I still can't consistently garrote and not punch the guy out. If they're doing anything but standing does it not work? Same for Subdue. It's also really finicky who gets pulled by coins, but I just need to learn that I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thief posted:

From what I've seen so far there are music ques to guide the player if they turn indicators off.

The music seems to be reactive to whatever the player is doing... like if a suspicious NPC is looking at them and if there is a mobile guard potentially coming your way. It works well enough though, I have managed to finish the last 2 missions using this but I did get caught up in a few firefights before running for the exit.

Breaking into places like the Italian mansion is really great when you have no idea of the layout inside. You can take cover behind couches and stuff without maids noticing. You have like a very brief window to be in someone's peripheral vision before you actually get spotted I think.

Yeah, I've noticed a musical sting rises and falls depending on how close you are to being revealed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I did all the challenges in the first tutorial level finally. I wouldn't have thought of half of those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah that's what the challenges are there for - to show you things you can do you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

I find the best way to play is to run the levels a couple of times without looking at the challenges - just exploring and picking up on the clues within the level itself. Then after that you can look at the challenges to give yourself an idea of anything you missed.

Yeah, I've been doing that but with opportunities on so I can try some of the more involved stuff out. I'm constantly saving and reloading because I'm bad to see how things interact.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The silenced pistol is worthless for me. Five shots to the chest and head, and I didn't kill the scientist in Italy. Not that it matters, I never found out where the virus was. It took 3 to kill David Caruso too. I got the garrote down though, I keep swapping from guard to waiter. :v:

Maybe I should stop bothering with things that aren't rifles and do more opportunities.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thief posted:

The silenced pistol rules and bailed me out of many situations that would have ruined the entire run for me. The one with that stupid digi-camo pattern on it has like a 20 round mag so you can just unload into multiple targets if you waltz through the wrong door.

In other news, the Italy map has a really funny item you can get in one of the earliest starting locations :ssh:

Will it let me dress up as a jester? I want to figure out how to get that costume on. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love the contracts you can set up to screw around in levels after you've done whatever else. I'm bad at getting over zero points, but shanking all the crew members with a screwdriver is its own reward.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How does the scoring system work? Is it primarily time based with negatives for killing? Does going for a high point score matter for anything?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accordion Man posted:

No time really doesn't factor in to it too much, just make sure you don't get caught in any sort of way. And no its just bragging rights aside from the SA challenges.

Oh cool, I didn't think so but figured I'd ask. I keep having people find things and also taking half an hour, so that combined with my kills (do subdued people wake up if you toss them in a box?) means it's always lovely. I want to do a smg run later. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You just saved a bunch of innocent waiters' lives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd appreciate it if the smg and shotgun's aim assist didn't lead the gun five feet to the right.

e: What am I supposed to do to disable the virus? I have the biolab security (which everyone knows I'm not), and can get a technician outfit (which everyone knows I'm not), and I have the card, but can't get close. And shootouts won't work because I die in one bullet and the guns don't aim at people.

e: I think I got it.

e: No I don't I can't get to the hazmat suit.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 7, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I couldn't even get in there, couldn't figure out how to get past the two guards staring at the only entrance I could find to the hazmat suit, so I looked it up and just shot the stalactite. I really like everything about the level but this area, what a pain in the rear end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accordion Man posted:

Just get a scientist outfit, one easy way to get one is by knocking out the scientist that hangs around on the roof of the security shack.

They all know I'm a fake one when I do that though. Is "scientist" different from "technician"?

quote:

RBA Starblade make sure you check this out and prepare yourself, its a pretty cool feature

I watched them do one of these on Giant Bomb! I'm definitely going to do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ymgve posted:

I noticed they missed a huge opportunity with the prisoner guy: Instead of taking his place, you should also have been able to free him and give him a weapon, making him do the deed instead.

What do you mean you shouldn't just strangle people at random? :v:

Finally got the virus! I shot out the stalactite, but noticed there's a ledge to sneak to the seaplane, so I got out unnoticed. had -5000 points because I killed 9 people though. :haw:

quote:

I just started playing this again and challenges save even if you don't complete the run now, this is a lot more fun.

Except for the lovely virus cave area I really liked everywhere else because it just lets you just goof around. Down there though there's not a lot to really do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The plague doctor outfit should be the master disguise for Italy. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mastery weapon unlocks carry over? That explains how I have that sniper rifle in Sapienza then.

My girlfriend watched me be Hitman No. 1 Best In World (rest in peace Hitman No. 1 Best In World, if only you had bumbled in another direction) and she laughed at all the British people in Italy and kept asking why nobody was speaking in Italian. She also thought 47 looked like a dork in the shirt and sunglasses. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm doing escalations for the first time and doing the first one on the boat map. Is there a special reason why the galley crew can't pick up kitchen knives? It's a crime, somehow.

e: I just whipped a pair of scissors at Helmut in the yard then hauled rear end for the chopper and somehow didn't die lol. Can't do that next time though :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 8, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing making the elusive target hard is you can't get out of the way of these bodyguards. I'm one of you! Stop hogging the doorway rear end in a top hat!

e: Got him! Used the exploding golf ball and the church getup, started in the safehouse. Waited for him to get to that little building behind the church, sat behind the statue he was in front, and lobbed it out. Got away by boat.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

Got him. Nice and easy Elusive.

Go up the Church belltower and wait. After meeting with the Priest, he waits under the bell to pray. It wasn't SA, but it was worth it.

Haha, I was wondering if that'd work. I decided against it when I reloaded after poking it because I couldn't get through the door, and decided on the other method.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't even loaded up Marrakesh yet. Sapienza at night sounds amazing though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do remote breaching charges not actually hurt people? I threw one in a crowd at him and no one was hurt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dinictus posted:

They don't. But put one at someone's feet and they're unaware, and you can knock someone out with them. Or even force an accident to happen.

That's amazing.

e: Shot the target, got a notification I killed a non-target. What?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dinictus posted:

With what weapon? The Sapienza sniper rifle? It has penetrative rounds.

The silenced pistol. I reloaded, did it again, but apparently it's the loudest thing in the universe because they all turned and murdered me. :v:

I don't think I've ever successfully shot someone with that thing and gotten away with it. I could have just done the sniper thing, but oh well. I didn't even know this part of the map existed! I spent like an hour just looking for the guy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thief posted:

fwiw irl guns like that are actually quite a bit louder than they seem in movies and television.

The silenced pistols in this game work well though as long as you're a yard or so away. You can really just move through areas like the mansion with ease by clearing room after room if you don't care about non-target kills.

I was about twenty yards away. At least it killed him in one shot; I knew I was going to get caught, just not immediately. In Italy it took about twelve to kill the regular target (and it still didn't so I reloaded). :v:

I wouldn't have used it in the first place, but I was out of time and wouldn't be able to mess around more later. Next time I'll be sneakier about it. It's kind of funny that just whipping some scissors or something at someone is quieter, faster, and more powerful than just shooting them.

quote:

Yeah even if the other people in the room spot you it will revert back to normal if you kill them before they scream for help or shoot back.

If someone spots you before you knock them out it will compromise your disguise. If that body is found your cover will be blown because they will be woken up and describe what you looked like to the other npcs.

If you kill them and the body is found, they will just start searching for suspicious men in nice suits. Sometimes they will even tell you to leave the area because it is dangerous if they haven't yet figured out it was you.

That's good to know for later though!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 15, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A super soaker full of poisoned wine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't even played Marrakesh yet so this should go great. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh nooo I threw the golf ball at Busey from a hidden spot, it killed everyone around him but him (what the hell btw, it hit him square on), then I shot him and killed him, but two guards I didn't see rounded the corner. I restarted to try again.

I forgot the rule about killing the target. :negative:

e: Got to level 5 on the killing the chef escalation in Sapienza though! It's super easy since you can sprint from the kitchen start and get to him before the door closes. Except the part with the tripwire. :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 23, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

How's this game now after a few months? Been interested for a while.

Real good but I'm starting to be noticed through walls more and more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fleshweasel posted:

Like when? It's been a while since I've been noticed through a wall.

Happened a couple times in Sapienza near the cafe and Sapienza at night, near some checkpoints. In the night mission though they just though I was trespassing and led me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

Out of curiosity, had you used coins or other sound triggers before this happened? That seems to be a criterion of the bug when it occurs in Paris. Whatever it is, it's map-specific.

I used a coin to attract a dude then garrote him yeah.