Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Keep in mind that there are a few edge cases where the game will sometimes display the "body found" message when a body wasn't actually found, like if you kill two targets at once with no other witnesses. For example, if you use the oil drum to kill both targets in the tunnel under Marrakesh, the game might say "body found" as the targets are burning up even if you've already cleared the area of any guards who might have seen or heard anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I think this is legitimately the most common way to fail ET's that I've seen.

Well, now I don't feel so dumb for having also done this.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

My favorite part about this is something that doesn't get mentioned a whole lot and that's how amazing the animations and ragdolls are. I just knocked a guy out by nailing him in the back of the head with a pool ball, causing him to sink chin first into the sink in front of him before collapsing on the floor. I would not wanna be that guy in a few hours.

Yeah, nonlethal takedowns can be pretty nasty. Sometimes dumping an unconscious body off a ledge or dragging them down stairs makes such a sick-sounding meaty thump that I have to double check that they haven't actually died on me.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I own Paris, if I buy the whole game at a later point will I get the Christmas level?

If you already have Paris, you should already have the free holiday bonus mission. Unlike the other bonus missions that actually cost money, the holiday mission isn't a radical restructure of the original level; it's more like an elaborate contract with a holiday reskin, since the map layout is the same and most if not all the NPCs from the original version are present and follow their normal routines.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

I think the Holiday challenge to pick up all items before the thieves do counts if you've collected each item first in any playthrough of the map, not just in your current run, because the notification for that one popped up for me on my second or third attempt (and my first attempt following a walkthrough) with a couple items left to collect that I'd picked up first in previous runs. If that's actually the case and it wasn't a bug, that would make the challenge much less of a pain in the rear end to achieve without preemptively knocking them out to delay them.

And you can trigger the challenge that requires them to meet up empty-handed if you pacify them before they meet, grab their loot, and then make sure that a guard wakes them up so that they can still rendezvous. Just don't delay their meeting by too long or else the one who's kept waiting might wander off first.

Also, the large agency pickup in the attic is bugged - there's some Christmas scenery blocking you from accessing it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Yeah, if you have the town hall clock tower unlocked as a starting location, getting Silent Assassin on this ET is almost trivially easy, especially if you're not going for SASO. Really I'm just glad that they finally gave us an excuse to get our Buster Keaton on. It's weird that the only exits that are available are the ones by the water; maybe there's some hint as to why that happens if you listen in on the target, though I doubt it.

I wonder - does giving the emetic poison to the two people who can't be harmed count as harming them, even if you do it through their drinks? I would assume so, but obviously you can't just test that out (and for that matter, I don't know if either of them actually does drink anything).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

If I'm gonna go for getting my mastery rank up in a few levels, which are the ones that give the best rewards?

If you're asking which challenges are the best point value, it's the usually assassination challenges. You get the mastery reward for finishing a challenge as soon as you get the challenge completion popup, so you can make a manual save right before killing someone and keep killing them and reloading that save to unlock multiple challenges in rapid succession. If you're just straight-up grinding for mastery, you can start a mission at a new starting location for the discovery challenge, then immediately replan to start somewhere else; likewise, you can make a manual save after finishing all objectives, exit through some method that gets a discovery challenge, then reload and exit from another location for another challenge.

If you're asking which mastery levels get you the best rewards:

Sedative poison vial (Paris 11) - this is, with a few exceptions, the only way of immediately pacifying someone without being there to do it with your own two hands
Remote breaching charge (Sapienza 5) - the quietest explosive with the least chance of causing unwanted collateral damage
Lethal poison vial (Sapienza 10) - because lethal poison for food/drink is surprisingly rare and typically hidden away in an obscure place
Piercing sniper rifle (Sapienza 20) - lets you pull off some unique sniper shots, both for firearm kills and for interacting with objects at a distance
Explosive phone (Bangkok 10) - the only explosive that demands someone go up to it and interact with it before it explodes; it can also be used as a pure distraction, though doing that can be playing with fire
Subsonic silenced pistol (Bangkok 20) - lets you get away with firing shots undetected from very close range
Emitic syringe (Colorado 5) - good for those times that you need to pacify or kill someone but there isn't normally a reliable way to hide their body afterwards, or if you need to drown a target but getting them to eat or drink anything is either too time-consuming or outright impossible
Explosive compound (Colorado 15) - the only completely inconspicuous explosive
Silenced pistol that's concealed from frisking (Hokkaido 5) - very handy for obvious reasons; the concealed knife (Hokkaido 20) isn't nearly as useful
Explosive ducks (Sapienza 20 & Marrakesh 15) - each one opens up different and less conspicuous opportunities for explosive kills, especially in contracts and escalation missions where you don't really care about collateral damage

The Sapienza unlocks are almost all both useful and unique, and the Marrakech unlocks are generally underwhelming and indistinct. And obviously being able to bring in your own loadout at Hokkaido mastery 20 is a really big deal for that map - being able to do that is absolutely mandatory if you want to try just about any escalation contract or elusive target there.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

J-Spot posted:

They probably didnt think it was worth getting voice actors in for a couple of lines. The elusive targets were likely all planned out in advance and recorded in a session or two.

Given that this ET was (I think) the first time that any mission has used that whole town hall/clock tower segment of Sapienza, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd planned the ETs out as far ahead as the map design stage.

Do any if the Sapienza escalation contracts make use of that part of the map?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

The easiest way to deal with Novikov's bodyguard is to put emetic poison in the glass that he drinks from while Novikov yells at the kitchen staff. When he's poisoned he'll go puke in the bathroom across the hall that has a closet in it. There's plenty of leeway to sneak in there and poison the glass even without a disguise, and if you don't already have emetic poison on you there's some in the corner of the kitchen.

gtrmp fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 23, 2016

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

That opportunity can also set up the two-for-one coconut kill.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

I've seen escalations with the "target must die in an accident" condition fail if the target was lethally poisoned. I guess the game updates a poisoning death from non-accident to accident only if you get away with it?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It feels like the (typically insane) Hitman story took a back seat in this one so they could focus on gameplay more then anything. Hopefully now that they have a pretty good grasp on what a good Hitman game is next season we'll get story stuff like clones fighting each other and assassin duels to the death in sex club basements again

ah, yes: now that they've figured out what makes a Hitman game good again, they should bring back the worst parts of the other good games and the most characteristic parts of the bad games

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

A completely unearned SA on the ET in under two minutes

Started as security, dropped my gun in front of his bodyguard to make him leave with it, got behind the target and threw a coin in front of him to make him stand up, jabbed him with the lethal syringe, ran the gently caress out the front door to the speedboat exit

It feels absolutely nothing about that plan should have worked out in favor of actually getting away in one piece, let alone getting SA - someone should have seen me stick him, one of the other guards nearby should have investigated the coin, and either a guard or the waiter should have seen the dead body in the time it took me to evacuate - but I'm not complaining

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

double nine posted:

Is it theoretically possible to finish The Showstopper with Suit only, no knock-outs, no bodies found? I've been racking my brain but especially victor is impossible

If you can hit the bodyguard with an emetic syringe, you should have plenty of time to take out Novikov and hide the body before the guard comes back from puking.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

The one part of Sapienza I don't get quite get in relation to the rest is the clothing store. Nice connection with Sanguine from the previous map but otherwise it feels like an afterthought.

According to this article, during playtesting of the Sapienza map, De Santis' route originally took her through the rest of Sapienza outside of the manor; I wouldn't be surprised if she went into that store as part of her routine.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

elf help book posted:

This is lame though.

Once you've already finished a story mission like four or five times, replaying the whole thing all the way through just to unlock two assassination challenges (if that) gets pretty repetitive. Better to game the system a little than to burn out on the game entirely by grinding.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

I would think that a clean kill requires the kill to not get spotted, e.g. you can't disguise yourself as the psychiatrist if people know that the psychiatrist is dead.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're good at keeping bodies out of view, you can drag an unconscious person up to the door and it will open, if their clothes can open it.

And if you need to drag that body to open another door elsewhere, you can block the door from closing by leaving an item (or another body) in the doorframe - though I've seen a bug(?) where the door closes anyways if you save while it's blocked open and then load that save, so be careful about that.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

double nine posted:

the cave has a natural exit.

and you can create an unnatural one, if you bring or find an explosive

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if they are going to continue releasing content for S1 maps after S2 begins. Because if they're not going to use S1 maps then you could just uninstall episodes 2-6 through steam.
Otherwise Hitman Season 2 is going to be absolutely massive.

They've said that they'll still do elusive targets and escalations for season 1 after season 2 starts, but I would think that they'll fully shift focus to season 2 maps once there are enough S2 maps that they can actually put out new content for a different S2 map every week. And we don't know when S2 will even start - it could be summer, it could be next year - so there's still probably a lot of life left in the S1 maps.

New content for the maps that people already own will keep bringing people back to the game, and people who are still engaged with season 1 are a lot more likely to buy season 2, so even if they hadn't said that they'd keep supporting the season 1 maps, they'd still stand to benefit by continuing to support them for a while even after season 2 starts. (And even after that, they can bring the S1 maps out of retirement for one last run of ETs when it comes time to promote season 3.)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Samopsa posted:

Hokkaido is easier to start in professional imo, because you can very easily get a resort guard disguise by going into the Texans room, which leads to a completely hassle-free way of dealing with Yuki. Getting to the heart and the camera station is a lot more difficult though.

Getting the heart isn't as tough as it might look at first. If you take the route to go down the pipe into the doctors' bedroom, you can get to the heart with almost no risk. The only changes in that route are the two guards in the morgue and the camera outside the heart room; if you grab the hammer from the toolbox before you go down the pipe, you can throw that to draw out one of the morgue guards and get his disguise, and the other guards in that area won't spot you in his outfit. From there you've just got to get rid of the two guards in the camera room, and since one of them always stands still facing towards the camera station with his back to you, all you really have to do is bait the other one out by throwing something or by dropping the first guard's pistol to get him to bring it elsewhere. Of course, it's a lot trickier in a suit-only run; I'm not sure if you can even get past (or into) the heart room at all without being caught on camera.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

also, soda cans are the only weapon that didn't get heavily reduced in number on Pro

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Agreed, I can't believe they still haven't put in some sort of method to track the chameleon challenge. It doesn't even have to say the specific disguises he hasn't worn yet, at least list the ones he has. Maybe give a number remaining.

There aren't a lot of things from Absolution that the current game could bring back without suffering for it, but the checklists for disguises and weapons and playstyles would be nice to have.

Jack Trades posted:

I wish they would just make cameras glow in instinct mode.

They do, but only if you already have a line of sight on them. Given how much of a gamechanger they are in Pro, it seems kind of unfair to not have them always show up through walls like guards do.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

If you're defending a level's design not on the basis of how well the actual mission that it was built around plays but on the basis of potential future content that could be added to it, you might be missing the forest for the trees.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

also you don't need to get the remote through a frisk, there is an open window to the left of the frisk stairs going up to the auction, they do not give a poo poo if you climb out of it and up the pipe

It takes them long enough to get into position after you set off the fireworks that you should have plenty of time to get to Dahlia if you just use the remote before you get frisked.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Professional mode is really fun. I've done SASO in Paris by the Terminal Velocity method and it was really rewarding to pull off.

Has IOI announced whether or not they have plans for elusive targets in the bonus versions of maps? I'd love some in A House Made of Sand and Landslide.

IIRC, the round of datamining that found the briefing for Landslide weeks before it was announced also found hints of an ET set in The Icon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do start putting ETs in the bonus missions eventually, now that the whole season is out on disc and the bonus missions are available to buy separately for anyone who bought the season piecemeal.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Example general changes: All cameras cannot be destroyed, and camera systems are housed independently. Destroying evidence does not remove spotted status. (Destroying the server will prevent the evidence from being recorded in the first place though). Guards will notice a server breaking and go into a search in the area. Fire extinguishers will no longer emit a lethal explosion, and will now knock effected NPCs out.

Example changes for Sapienza: The glass housing the virus is now bullet and blastproof. All escape vehicles have keys, found in various logical places in the map (e.g. Caruso is carrying the plane keys). If they're still around, characters' bodyguards will not leave them alone for most opportunities (such as Victoria De Santis meeting with the PI). All cannon items are now securely locked away. One of Silvio's guards checks his food before he eats it.

New challenge examples:
Acid Redux: Kill both targets by submerging them in acid. Unlocks a vial of hydrochloric acid (lethal poison vial reskin, makes cosmetic hissing sound when applied to food/drink).
Corporate Espionage: Complete the mission with an intact sample of the virus prototype, without being spotted.
Buttled: Kill both targets with a fire poker while dressed as the butler, then complete the mission with the Silent Assassin ranking. Unlocks the Butler suit.
All Zeroes: complete the mission Suit Only, with no gunfire, no bodies found, and without knocking anyone out.

This sounds less like "more difficult" and more like "more tedious" (aside from changing fire extinguishers, which is a nerf that should've been done across the board months ago).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Badchay posted:

Cameras work like guards. They even have that white dot on the top of them, so if you're carrying something suspicious or illegal there's gonna be an alarm

Although you can't see a camera's outline through walls in instinct, which seems like a huge oversight to me given how cameras work in Pro. I guess if they really wanted to make instinct less of a crutch on Pro they could have it gradually deplete with use like it did in Absolution.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Brofessor Slayton posted:

On my first Sapienza run I grabbed one of the remote explosives from the back of the lab, dropped it in the bin beside the virus (by using a hazmat disguise) and pulled a fire alarm so I could detonate it safely as I was leaving in the plane.

...Just shoot the stalactite.

The elaborate seat-of-your-pants plans that could go wrong at any moment are the fun stuff

Highly effective straightforward stuff like shooting the stalactite is for when you're done playing around with a level and just want to get it done fast

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I recommend blowing the wall of the lab with a breaching charge- the route it provides lets you get out of the lab to other exits pretty cleanly with any disguise, if you use the pipe and knock out the two guards on the upper level.

Or if you don't want to use a loadout slot on the breaching charges, use the explosive golf ball. The louder explosion will draw some attention, but only briefly, and even then you aren't in any real danger of becoming suspicious unless you get spotted actually setting off the explosion.

If for whatever reason you want to blow up the wall from the inside, there's a propane tank right there, and some remote charges are directly behind the virus biolab. Sometimes it's easier to start as the scientist in the lab and work your way back out from there to complete the assassinations, instead of having to path a route into the lab at the end of the mission.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

About propane tanks, they are something scarce in pro mode in sapienza. Only one I've found in mansion grounds were in the gardening shed.

The tanks in the gardening shed and the one in the lab tunnel are the only ones I've seen on Pro, unless there are more hidden away in one of the locked shops or something.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress with the clock, gently caress with the pencils in his room, gently caress with the valve in his bathroom. It's been a while, but I think that's what you need.

One time he went out to smoke after I'd only messed with the clock and the sink - I think he reacted to the clock both on his way in and out of the house, so it counted the clock as both the first and third thing that was hosed with and triggered the opportunity - but I'd guess that was probably a bug.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone successfully completed the Dance Till You Drop challenge in Professional Mode? I can't find the radio anywhere, and I'm 99% sure I've dismissed everyone that could be dismissed.

The radio appears after you've dismissed everyone who can be dismissed. If you took out one of the dismissable guards, you can't trigger the event, although (as far as I could tell) taking out any of the non-dismissable elites won't have any affect.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Canopus250 posted:

Can anybody give me some good pointers on Morocco? I tooled around for like an hour and could only find a way to get the general but I still couldn't even manage to push him into the printing press for the challenge no matter where he stood by it. This stage seems pretty poo poo after Paris/Sapienza. I guess if somebody could tell me where an invite to the VIP area in the hookah lounge is then I could find a way into the consulate and just be done with this stage.

The only unattended VIP card is inside the VIP section, of course. You can get into the shisha club by climbing over the adjacent rooftop and down a pipe into the bathroom, or you can get in through the locked side door. The key to that door is on the table in the little kitchen area next to the VIP section entrance; if you can't find a way to distract the worker who's parked on top of it without becoming suspicious, you could just pick the lock when nobody's looking. The military elite/officer disguises will also get you into the consulate, though, so you really only need to get into the VIP section if you want to complete the opportunity that needs the cameraman disguise.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Right outside the door to the club in the cafe-ish area with the fountain is a card. Facing the door with the guards look left and you'll see a set of tables with a waiter behind it, a little bar type thing. An invitation is behind there. If you circle around you can vault the waist high wall, grab it, then vault back over.

That's where the VIP card is in the bonus mission, not the story mission. In the story mission, that's where the key is, and the wall is blocked off by a fan that you can turn on to distract the waiter.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

i followed mr freezes guide for the elusive target (because the servers were down so i couldn't play it until today) and i got SA

i think it is hilarious that security guard disguise is allowed to walk up to a guarded safe, put a breaching charge on it, detonate it, withdraw its contents then leave and nobody gives a poo poo

at the very least certain items/actions should be illegal/suspicious regardless of disguise. like hey breaching charge is a weapon type, so it's ok, but... maybe it shouldn't be? maybe you should be required to be wearing some sort of demolitionist outfit first? and if you're blowing a safe open there's no way that's actually legit

If nothing else, actually planting a bomb should be a suspicious act

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I can't even remember all the complications. Speedboat exits only, headshots only, and, uh, kill them both within 30 seconds? And there's three excellent sniping positions with good views of both targets? Two of which have spawn points and large agency pickups nearby? And the only target that might get you in trouble usually falls into the drink before anything happens?

The hardest part for me was starting the second level of the escalation in the main square tower and realizing I couldn't see the poor bastard fishing from the pier.

You can juuuust barely see his head from the corner of that tower, but it's such a small target from that angle that you'd have trouble hitting it without a scoped rifle.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Mondian posted:

Are you guys for real? I know suspension of disbelief is the norm in the HItman series, but these things are just basic. Like Lobok said, Colorado should have taught you that not all security uniforms are equal and in this case its super obvious. An African warlord takes a trip and brings her own soldiers for security. Why the hell would they trust the local hotel rent-a-cop to wander around their suite. Likewise, you're a barcoded albino trying to parade around in front of a handful of African soldiers that have come here specifically to guard someone. Presumably they would recognize their squad mates and be suspicious of someone they didn't recognize.

I mean the guys out front not saying something to you probably is a bug, but its your own fault if you got gunned down for trying something so foolishly brazen on an ET.

Everywhere else in the entire game where the security level immediately jumps from "you can move freely here" to "all guards are hostile" is isolated enough that you have time to see the clearance change on the minimap and alter your plans before you might run into a guard. Walking past a guard and immediately getting shot to death is some Hitman 2-style bullshit, but at least in Hitman 2 if that happened you could replay the level and try something different.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

For Marrakech I got it by pulling an alarm in the embassy to get the banker to come to the school. Shot him from the hidden balcony you can reach from the headmaster's roof right as he came around the corner. Had to immediately duck down to avoid being spotted, then move around a bit in the back of the are until everyone chilled out and I could shoot the general through a window in the school on his normal routine.

Strandberg actually moves to a much safer spot to snipe him: After he meets with the general, he sits down on a bench in the corner of the courtyard that's immediately opposite your sniper perch, and when he first sits down there aren't any guards with direct line of sight on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I just finished a Marrakesh Pro SOSA run. It was fairly easy- I still have no idea how to deal with freaking Maya Parvati in Colorado, though.

Drop the bale of hay on her as she's leaving the barn by shooting the rope that's holding it up. Using the Silverballer's aim-focus from the upstairs balcony of the house should give you just enough accuracy to hit the rope, if you don't want to bring a sniper rifle. I think you can also get her by shooting the fuel tank once to make it leak and then again to light it on fire, but I'm not actually sure if you can use a gun to cause that leak; at any rate, that method's riskier if you're going for SA because the mechanic who takes his smoke break there will set himself on fire unless you set Parvati on fire there first.