Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bYEelwwHc

What I assume is the intro cinematic just got released. Whoever's trying to ape Jesper Kyd isn't doing too bad a job, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm pretty sure those kills were from past games. The fugu fish was from the first Japan level in Silent Assassin, the drowning was from C47/Contracts in the hotel and the strangulation was from the first real level of Blood Money I believe.

Yeah, this struck me as a way of saying that it isn't a continuity reboot. Those old games happened in the timeline they have here.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Budzilla posted:

The Japanese levels were the worst in the second game,

GUARDS ARE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR SUSPICIOUS NINJA

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Contracts is my favourite because of the sheer drat atmosphere of the game. I also enjoyed Absolution a lot, but take that for what it is. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought Absolution was an okay stealth and shooting game. It just wasn't what a Hitman game should be

That's pretty much how I looked at it. I really enjoyed Blood Money, don't get me wrong, but Absolution really clicked with me even if it's story was...something else (absolutely loved the ambiance and NPC chatter mind).

A ton of the humour relying on 47 being a stony faced sociopath was cheap but made me laugh like a buffoon. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think I ever made legitimate progress in Silent Assassin so I can't remember a drat thing about it. Game seemed so much harder than the first I couldn't get my head around it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, how much content is that 6.99 "starter pack" going to net me? I've been um'ing and ah'ing over getting this game - I'm one of those weird mutants who loved Absolution, and "only" enjoyed Blood Money - so I don't think I want to plop down thirty quid for the full thing. Judging by the response to the game Paris is absolutely loving huge, and more than enough to get stuck into for a few weeks?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys. Six quid isn't anything to get sniffly about I guess. :shobon:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
hmm, Paris appears to have a lot of content. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I'm kicking myself for not getting in on this sooner. I'm having an absolute ton of fun in Paris and the ICA facility, and while I'm using baby aids to help me, I'm already getting irritated at myself for being sloppy and have subconsciously planned suit-only routes for certain assassinations.

Well that's fair enough! I did notice a substantial drop in challenges, etc, for later maps so I'm assuming the content becomes more refined later on. All the input's appreciated mind.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Am I right in assuming that most of the NPC routines are on a loop, and won't be broken by anything short of open combat?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys! I've barely touched Paris since getting engrossed in the ICA Facility escalations and challenges - they're teaching me a lot about the game's systems, and I can already see myself sinking far too much time into the drat thing. Treating them as really morbid puzzles rather than stealth segments has does wonders for how I approach things, which was my problem with the original Hitman games. :v:

Nailing the level five escalation on the ICA Facility was pretty disturbing due to the thought process behind it. I can't just knock people out so if I garrote Guard D and drag him into the box before the timer expires, I can move on with his disguise and murder KGB Agent A, giving me enough time to hide his corpse and use the disguise to murder and hide Engineer B, which means I can sneak back up to Guard E...

Surprised how fast everything flows.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The pride of a Silent Assassin Suit Only run will be greater than that of raising my adopted children.

e; Apologies if it seems like I'm bragging. Game has grabbed me by the loving neck, and I'm riding its high. :v:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

swampcow posted:

There's an achievement in Hokkaido thats like uber-SASO. I was very happy when I figured it out.

I had that spoiled for me, sadly. You show up in your suit and the guy's heart gives out, right?

Seriously, game owns.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I've had a proper look at the Paris content, and holy poo poo that's a lot of stuff to go through - not even including the holiday stuff, that Saravejo guy and the Vampire Magician doodads. :catstare:

This game will take me forever to Platinum won't it, hahaha. Oh man, why didn't I jump on this thing sooner.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hold it down. The rapidly flashing button is a bit misleading. :v:

I keep thinking the symbol above an unconscious person means they're trying to load something...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If that's true then fair enough! Nine times out of ten when I mash the button my finger slips and someone's neck gets snapped, so.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Impersonating him is what made me purchase the upgrade pack.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
47 missed his true calling.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
47 I'm beginning to think you have a fetish for drowning people in toilets.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
At the risk of committing heresy here, can I just say that Opportunities being hand-held things are the reason I'm so into this game? While some of my favorite games do just plonk you into the thick of things with nothing more than a pat on the bum, I always felt really overwhelmed by the previous Hitman titles (Absolution aside...) and kind of froze up not really "getting" that I needed to survey and stalk people to get an idea of how things worked.

Opportunities give me some structured kills to follow, while also allowing me to scout out a map without feeling totally bewildered. This leads to me getting new ideas in my head, which leads to more free-form assassinations, which leads to me loving escalations, etc. No I'm not going to shut up about this, especially since I found the vampire magician outfit. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's an Escalation in Paris that involves the Vampire Magician, recommend checking that out. Can't remember the name but the very first level has you in the cape so it's pretty easy to find.

Yeah, I found it. :haw:

47 is a terrible character but an absolutely amazing straight man. David Bateman gives him just the right amount of dry irritation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It does have a maschocist who pops an erection at his own death though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No kidding. The one card that throws me off during escalations is "no pacifications". :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are all the levels considered totally seperate as far as Mastery goes? So, for example, if I earn the non-lethal drug on Paris it won't carry over to the next mission?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Samopsa posted:

No, everything you unlock to use as starting gear can be used anywhere.

Oh poo poo, that's great. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I see this is available on PS4 - how does it play? Someone tried to gift it the first episode to me for Christmas, but my ancient graphics card had some -- issues. Mostly seen talk regarding the PC version, I think. Also haven't played a Hitman before, so there's that too. :v: Thanks!

Variable frame rate - 30-60 - but doesn't seem to dip below 30 at all for me. Huge crowd scenes are obviously where it drops, but as the game doesn't need twitchy skills that's workable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

skooma512 posted:

I got rumbled in Thailand and was running for the boat with everyone shooting at me.

NPC was repeating "it's only a videogame, it's only a videogame" to himself as a mantra :v:

I really appreciate that NPC barks and so on prioritize humour and silliness. The game knows when to be serious, but at its heart knows the central concept is very daft and doesn't work on a realistic level. Informing the player of the world state and have fun with it!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

I really like that every guard in the entire Hitman universe is a smartass. Just having that bit of flavor makes the game have so much more personality.

"Hey waiter, I hear someone calling for their check. :haw:"

gently caress you buddy. :mad:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"I see you're out-sourcing, 47."

:laffo:

Diana's actor loving killed that line.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those both own no matter your opinion of Absolution.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Really, I just want IO to go full-on with costumes and allow you to disguise yourself as a woman, with nobody catching on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just 47 in women's clothes, played entirely straight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She has your eyes, 47.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you get cleared during a frisk can you walk away, trouser a pistol then come back and be let through again without a second frisk? :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Rats, time to be a bit sneakier then. :)

I'm working on the "shoot Dahlia after meeting her as Tobias Rieper" challenge. Maybe I can introduce myself to the guards and then sneak through a window to avoid getting risked, hrmm.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That occured to me just as I posted. Thanks for the advice anyway guys. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Makeup should persist through costume changes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Absolution was a great game but a terrible Hitman. I do think there's something to the rumours about it originally being a Kane and Lynch set-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd just like to quickly mention how much I love the silent pistol melee kill. It warms a disturbing part of my body to see computer game characters subscribe to the double tap theory.