Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I had a single disconnection in about 15 hours of play, which was annoying but a one-off so far.

Looking forward to getting stuck into Sapienza later today, and hoping my luck holds here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Either get a bodyguard/security uniform so you can carry it on your back without anyone caring, or sneak it up - from the sewer is easiest, and doable if you time it right.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Capsaicin posted:

I killed the fashion couple! I got away without any bodies being found either. I think I'm playing it somewhat boringly, since both of them I either waited for or tricked them into going into a bathroom and I just walked in after them and snapped their necks. I need to figure out how to do some of the wacky stuff.

You could start by drowning them in toilets instead of snapping their necks, or using the fibre wire to strangle them. But there's no shame in doing things in a low-key way first time around - I've done most of the assassinations with a single silenced headshot first time I play a level.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Capsaicin posted:

That looks like it. I guess I'm just not really used to games not telling you what to do anymore. I turned it all the way down to off. I found an exploding golf ball so I want to try to use that at some point soon.

I started with opportunity tracking completely off, and found it largely fine for the first couple levels, but I put it up to minimal later and I think it's a better way to go. Some of the opportunities are pretty obscure without any guidance at all.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Foldable is probably the wrong word, but in Blood Money you could carry the sniper rifle disassembled inside a briefcase and when you took it out you'd stick all the bits together to use it. It's a good spot though, I'm excited for the possibility because the briefcase sniper rifle was one of the coolest things in Blood Money.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There are so many fun ways to do this level, wow. Lots of variety. Possibly the best level of the entire lot?

Does anyone have an easy way to get a chef outfit though? My current approach of 'do some weird stealth poo poo in the kitchen until I can subdue both chefs at the same time' works, I guess, but it doesn't feel like the most elegant approach.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tippis posted:

Define easy. You need a disguise that allows you to go into the kitchen (by the time I got there, I was swimming in bodyguard disguises, so I just used that… no idea how the others fare or how easy you feel it is to get your hands on one of those). That's really the only hard part. You can then either just take out both in the kitchen itself because, why not? Overflow the sink, while the first guy goes over to fix it, sock the other guy, then the poor sod at the sink. Or just lure one over to the stairs and take him out there. Preferably, one of the chefs from the restaurant above, since they seem very keen on seeing through disguises.

Right, so there isn't an easier way than what I've been doing then. It just seems like one of the outfits that's trickiest to get, especially considering you need the outfit for quite a few paths - obviously being the fugu chef, but also the chef costume is needed to put an emetic in the snacks the director goes for so you can get his outfit. Though I guess there may be other ways to get the director alone?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Boiled Water posted:

What purpose does making the organ storage room colder serve?

It makes the two guards inside the room leave. They'll go to warm themselves by the incinerators, leaving the room clear for you to do stuff in (so you don't need to interact with the curator at all).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Discendo Vox posted:

Question: what is the valve in the heart room for?

John Charity Spring posted:

It makes the two guards inside the room leave. They'll go to warm themselves by the incinerators, leaving the room clear for you to do stuff in (so you don't need to interact with the curator at all).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The changes to offline profiles seem like they're working on patching out the always-online requirement by degrees. A future patch could allow you to earn rewards offline too.

Also this is pretty funny:

quote:

Pull an Enemy
In this update, we've added the ability for 47 to pull people over balconies or out of windows, when he is hanging on a ledge or below the balcony/window.
Unfortunately, there is a known issue for this move: NPC's that see this move will not blame 47, even if they are looking directly at the NPC or at 47.
For that reason, we will remove this ability with our December Update and fix this. It will then be re-introduced with a game update in January, around the same time as the disc release.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
One thing I'll say is that this:

quote:

You can pick up on just about every opportunity through eavesdropping or common sense

Doesn't really hold true for some of the levels. I did exactly what you did initially, turned off opportunities completely, but I ended up putting on minimal tracking by the time Bangkok rolled around because some of the opportunity paths are preeeetty hard to cop on to otherwise.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah that's another thing - opportunities don't cover all the unique assassinations or the like.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone explain to when what exactly are the requirements for the Silent Assassin rating?

For example the game says "No Bodies Found" but poisoning the target out in the open still gives you SA? So what does it mean?
Also "Do not get spotted" what do they mean by that exactly?

Poisoning and accidents don't give a 'body found' because the cause of death being foul play is not immediately apparent, I guess.

For 'not getting spotted', you can't have anyone become suspicious of you at any point (even the targets, iirc) and don't get caught trespassing. Also no recordings of you.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KillHour posted:

So for someone that always loved the old Hitman games and related non-linear Hallmarks like Thief and DX, I should pick this up?

Yes. You'll love this game. It's basically the evolution of Blood Money that everyone always wanted.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KillHour posted:

Yeah, you guys were right.

So freaking good.

Yes pal, yes! Glad you're enjoying it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SplitSoul posted:

So, the new one is good, right?

as in, the entire Hitman game? Yes. It's very good. You should play it if you liked any of the pre-Absolution Hitman games because it's in that vein but expanded upon hugely.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lakbay posted:

:love:

Please show this to Giant Bomb and/or IOI

Seconded, this is brilliant

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You used to be able to do it, then at some point something changed and you either can't do it at all or have to do it in a very short timeframe.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

where the red fern gropes posted:

question about krueger and the bandage face hokkaido guy - if you don't 'complete' the outfit (makeup for krueger, remove bandages for hokkaido) are there any drawbacks to that?

At least for the guy in Hokkaido, bandage removal is only the pretense for getting you to that surgeon alone, so you can take his clothing instead. The outfit otherwise - bandages or no - is just like the normal suit except with limited privileges to go to the medical wing.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lobok posted:

I don't get what happened. I failed the ET but now I can't try again? I thought if you didn't complete any of the objectives yet you were allowed to try again.

Edit: Ah poo poo, I must have "uncovered the militia operation" with all that snooping around and reading I did.

This was my mistake. I grabbed the laptop info before trying for the actual target, so I later made someone suspicious (Rose's guard who entered the house and saw me as a militia elite, I forgot they'd do that) and while I managed the target I didn't get Silent Assassin due to having bumped into 'suspicious'.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lobok posted:

Asking a question even though I'm afraid of the answer. To do a SASO run in Hokkaido I'm going to have to use the outsides of the buildings pretty much all the time, right? If doors need disguises to open and I can't use disguises then I can't take the direct route anywhere.

You can still use indoor areas to get around unseen while trespassing - there are a few paths that are pretty safe - but you usually have to make use of the outside a bit too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

what's the most inappropriate disguise/location combo

Santa/Marrakech

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

just found out you can access hokkaido's escalation safe/neurochip/surgeon rest area (all the same room) by climbing down a pipe. it's just up the stairs from the door where you enter the staff area, in the place below the helicopter - staff area door on left, entrance to kitchen ahead and up the stairs to the left, pipes are at the top of the stairs on the right. there are two pipes but both lead to the window

Yeah, that path is pretty crucial for doing Suit Only stuff too, I found.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I liked A House Made Of Sand more than I liked the base Marrakech mission, frankly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, Marrakech's most interesting parts visually and environmentally are the bits of the map that don't get used much normally. The school and the embassy are pretty boring locations by comparison but they're where almost everything takes place, and at opposite ends of the map.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Silvio Caruso lurking anywhere in Landslide? I know he's mentioned as the guy who hired you, was just wondering if you can interact with him somehow.

I don't think so - the implication is that he's in the locked-up mansion, and that the mission is taking place pretty much immediately after he killed his mother. You can overhear a conversation in the back streets about how it's unlike Signora Caruso not to be seen for this long, etc.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I got SA (after 5-6 scouting attempts working out how I'd do it) by the following method:

Start as hotel staff. Grab the master keycard, go up to the penthouse, stalk around for a bit until the target goes into her bedroom alone - you can get in a different route. Coin to distract her then execution method of choice. I used the lethal syringe but anything works because you can hide her body afterwards.

Grabbed the safe key, went down to the ground floor of the other wing, distracted the lone security guard down there and took his outfit. Went back to the wing the target had been in, distracted the staff member by the fire alarm then pulled it. Off to the security room, open the safe and wipe the security tapes while everyone's distracted by the alarm. Exit. Silent assassin.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

And Tyler Too! posted:

What sort of magic dimension do you people live in where you can breach the safe dressed as security and not get riddled with bullets? Or press the fire alarm and again, somehow not get outed as a suspicious person? Because both of these things happened to me.

As long as you don't get seen pulling the fire alarm, you're fine.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nakar posted:

Only the first time. Imagine you're carrying a leaking tank and you swipe the lock.

The tank will drop out of your hands.

Then the lock sparks.

:smith:

I wonder if the sparks from a disabled security camera station will do the same thing?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

HelixFox posted:

Now that you mention it, the lack of an elevator in some of the levels is kind of odd. I guess the Swedish government just hates wheelchair users.

It also stands out because of how much Blood Money loved elevators (and strangling people to death while they were in transit).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Isn't there idle chatter between guards on Colorado about a wrestler named The Hitman? It could be one hell of a season 2 level. Especially if you have the chance to get in the ring against one of your targets with full wrestling commentary, where they excuse anything short of gunning down your target because the guy you disguise as is a heel.

It's on the radio that's playing around the camp's cooking area, and it's basically a joke about the concept of the level itself - The Hitman against the evil special forces terrorists.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Unlucky7 posted:

(Hokkaido spoilers)Eric Soders kills become a lot more hosed up once you learn that he is not actually put under. Particularly (ESPECIALLY) the (Not) Human Error kill

Is there a way to get the Surgeon outfit that isn’t the Head Surgeon or getting to level 19 and starting out in it?

Follow the opportunity where you disguise yourself as the guy who's had facial surgery. Puts you in a room with a surgeon alone.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nakar posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the patches around the time of the collector's edition release turned him into a regular doctor for some reason.

Oh weird. Sorry for the out of date info then!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Sgàil is Scottish Gaelic for 'shadow' or 'shade' so that's definitely an ominous naming scheme they've got going on there.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two moments that stand out to me: in Paris, where Viktor shouts angrily at the staff and gives them a bad day because he can't have something his way. It made me feel really happy to murder him, because gently caress people who are rude to people who are just doing their job and can't talk back.

In Mumbai, where the Bollywood director says he'll pay the artist in "exposure". Again, it was insanely satisfying to murder him, because gently caress anyone who does that.

And to contrast: in Paris, you can find one of the staff crying and upset and being comforted by her coworkers. You feel for her, and want to help her out. It's so small, but there are touches like that everywhere in the game and I love all of it.

The final mission in Hitman 2 is basically all about that. I feel like the satire was a lot sharper in this game - all the climate denial profiteering and tech entrepreneurs doing shady poo poo stuff was very on-the-nose but it's smart and witty about it too.

One of my favourite little moments in the final mission is hearing two of the architects talking and even though these are the elite of the elite in a secret society they're still talking about the 'goddamn wage gap' because the male scientist has got ahead with less work.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

fadam posted:

I read on Reddit that the Marrakesh Escalation is the best way to get a badass sniper rifle right away, but I can't figure out how to launch it.

On the main menu, go to Destinations then scroll back to Marrakesh then you'll have the escalation as an option to the right of the main mission.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't get a sniper rifle from that escalation, fyi. Just some explosives. I did get a rifle after redoing Paris so maybe its the one they were talking about.

You absolutely get a sniper rifle from completing the 3-level Cheveyo Calibration in Marrakesh. The Sieger 300 Ghost, which is the one you use throughout the escalation.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cojawfee posted:

It's more hilarious for the painter in Mumbai. He's South Asian with a moustache and 47 is white with no moustache.

The target literally says "did you have a shave?" I love it all, I'm glad they just lean into it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Just killed Sean Bean. Silent assassin, though it took me a couple restarts because I got spotted trespassing or the like the first two times.

I went to the meeting dressed as a kronstadt engineer (simple matter to get the disguise from the one who's pootling about in the coat check room), attended the meeting, then went upstairs and used a sink in a storage cupboard to lure a bodyguard. Fresh disguise with full access. I found a picture of the target on the upper floor of the centre (in Knox's office with the aircon), and input it into the android in the room where he goes to meet Yu. Easy kill, though it took about 19 minutes all told.

They put a lot of effort into this one. Fun target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

freebooter posted:

- Having Western voice actors put on Hispanic and Indian accents is maybe a wee bit more problematic than the amusing Hitman 1 solution of just pretending everybody in the world sounds American

I'm pretty sure those aren't being put on, but are the voice actors' real accents. Certainly there are a lot of Indian and Latin American names in the voice cast for the game.