Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jintor posted:

well i just got booted off the server crashing my twenty seconds of exploratory looking around which is pretty annoying. hey IO/squeenix no-one actually cares about leaderboards especially since everybody has 210,000 points atm, nobody needs to be online to do challenges, thanks

What I really don't get the most is why there's no option to continue when the server goes offline, and why the "offline mode" seems to do jack poo poo. Why can I not load my game's save when I'm offline? What is the point of the offline mode at all?

I mean I guess this will all get fixed eventually, but it's amazing how badly they're managing the rollout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I don't find the game loading times that bad, at least on the Bone — it's about a minute and a half to load Paris the first time, but then loading saves once I'm already on the level takes about 30-40 seconds. Not great, but it's not that annoying either. What's it like on the PS4?

What is annoying is that the menus are insanely slow to navigate, which I don't understand. Like going through the challenges, just scrolling through them, probably takes 20 seconds.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

About continuing after loosing connection and save games, it tells you first time you start the game that online and offline is different save games, you use one of them, can't swap between them. It sucks, but the game has told you.

Just because it says something doesn't mean it's not an utterly retarded way of doing it when they know their servers aren't going to be able to handle launch traffic. Hitman is giving me bad flashbacks to the Diablo III launch. Probably every other online game that's ever come out is like this too, but D3 was the last one I played.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Badchay posted:

I liked the new game.... well, at least until this happened like ten minutes ago

It just threw me to the main menu in the middle of the Showstopper level and attempting to reconnect to the server failed. And yes, it's definitely the game/servers, not my connection.

Yeah this is happening to everyone quite regularly. I probably got booted off 7 or 8 times this weekend before just giving up and saying gently caress it after I beat the level once.

The best part of this is that you know this same thing is going to happen every single time they release a new level unless they decide to stop being bastards and allow offline play, since their online component is completely extraneous.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

In the meantime, give Alekehine's Gun a try, limited bugs and issues there.

I know metacritic isn't everything, but Alekehines Gun gets like the worst reviews I've ever seen on Metacritic. And well-written reviews too, not like the babies who give ME3 zero stars because they didn't like the ending or D3 a 0 because they couldn't connect on launch day.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
One immersion thing that kind of bothers me is that all the characters are speaking English. I know that the secret auction and maybe even the public speeches at the fashion show would be in English in reality, but could they not even find French or Russian speakers for the side dialogue in the missions?

I even have my console set to French, and I think Hitman is the first AAA game I've played on the Bone that didn't have the dialog localized. Kind of odd considering Hitman is made by a European studio.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
You have to wait.

I played Absolution (and only Absolution) and I'm liking this a lot so far, but there's only 1 full mission, 1 super short intro level, and 1 kind of short intro level.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
And their servers are incredibly unstable yet again, I'm kicked off every 2 minutes. I don't know how they can't handle the load during working hours in Europe and early morning in the US on a Thursday. It's not exactly peak online time. I don't think I'll buy the next episodes unless they allow offline play or figure out how to run stable online servers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This, Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Primal all have some sort of DRM that is currently uncrackable by pirates. It's almost certainly related to that.

This doesn't really explain why console players have to put up with the same BS though, unless the developers wanted to gimp the console versions equally to the PC version so that PC Master Race!!1 people can be happy.

Also the RotR campaign works perfectly fine offline on console, except that you're not allowed to replay missions. No idea about JC3.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

all SE needs to do is fix up their servers and poo poo and then it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, and we all know that SE is going to fix their problem right?

Oh wait no, actually the server connection issues are going to happen for the first two/three days of release, minimum, for every single episode coming out for the rest of the year.

And also (b) that there's absolutely zero reason for an "always online" feature of Hitman, since there's no multiplayer, cheating doesn't matter, and the contracts etc could all be easily pushed to you when you are online. All it does in practical terms is make all the menus incredibly slow to load. The menus in Hitman are the slowest of any software I've used in many years. It's so bad that I use my laptop and search for the kill type 'awards' rather than go through the game's terrible menus.

I love all the idiots going "Hitman worked fine for me it must be your connection!!!11". Even if this was true, that tons of people are having a connection issue on a single player game means it was designed incompetently.

Not planning on buying the rest of it until it's on disc now.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pennfalath posted:

Good news, as I was completing an opportunity and got alone with my target, I had a connection error and got booted back to the menu.

Was that with the patch or without? I was waiting for that to be fixed before being suckered into buying any more of Hitman. I got booted out so many times so frequently that, combined with the huge loading times, even the high production values and how fun the game was could not counterbalance what a technical disaster it is.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So uh, was that thing about being able to continue when server connection is lost a joke or something for a future patch? I just got booted out of Sapienza after 10 minutes on my first try. "You hvae been disconnected from the HITMAN™ server. A network error .. blah blah blah gently caress you; Go to Main Menu". No other option available.

Loading times are a lot faster but the connection issues are still a huge "gently caress you". It could at least have the courtesy of autosaving before kicking you offline??

E: I notice the loading screen no longer gives you a % progress though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea same thing happened to me I know it ain't my side as PSN was still up. I had just managed to kill the two targets with no issues and get into the lab so lost about 20-30 mins of progress.

If they don't sort this out theres no way I'm dropping money on the other levels.

Does your game not autosave every 5 minutes? Mine does so it's not THAT bad, but it's still weird that there's no way to continue and that the offline mode doesn't really save your progress or let you achieve anything. (Unless that's changed? I haven't tried yet.)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

https://hitman.com/en-us/news/update-for-ps4-and-xbox-one

The patch that fixed still hadn't released yet. It's out today for ps4.

Awesome, thanks. I'd seen those patch notes, and I downloaded a patch when downloading Sapienza so I figured that was it, but I guess I was getting some older patch.

Fingers crossed that it works.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
"Impossible to connect to the Hitman server. A network error..." etc. Jesus goddamn christ. Everything else is working fine. I was hoping they would patch it in so you could get unlocks when offline (or at least, that they would trigger the first time you go online) but nope. I finished the level a couple ways, then went back online, got kicked off after 15 minutes, and it's like I never did anything.

Edit: by everything, I mean all other internet connections to anywhere. Hitman itself is broke as hell.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Has anyone else encountered a bug where subduing someone sometimes kills them?

I'm trying to do some escalation contracts in Paris but like 50% of the time I subdue someone, it says non-target killed and it's ruined a couple of my runs.

It's way under 50% for me -- probably around 5% of the time I try to subdue someone they die.

I thought it might be intentional actually. Like sure you're a professional, but if you go around choking out a bunch of 70 year-old priests and undertakers, probably they won't hold up so well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
How do you zoom with the sniper rifle? I hold left trigger and it zooms somewhat, but I can't get to it's second setting, which I've seen people use in YouTube videos. Is there like some sort of sniper upgrade? I think I've pressed every button on the controller while holding left trigger and nothing happens.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

wyoak posted:

There's only one zoom level. There are two snipers, one has a better zoom but isn't silenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLRL3Fekac&t=66s

That video (link starts at correct time, 1:06) has the guy zooming twice with the same rifle. Is it a PC hack or something?

VVV: Ahh, thanks. I thought there were two snipers, each of which had a different zoom level, not that one has two. Now I get it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have heard absolutely zero reports on sales numbers for the episodes and season passes thus far, I don't know if that bodes ill for future content or not. Also depends on whether or not people ever get the gently caress over the episodic delivery and how it infringes upon their gamer e-honor.

Is anyone still complaining about the episodic nature? I haven't had or read any serious complaints with the game after Sapienza dropped, except that the persistent online nature is still a huge steaming pile of poo poo. At least now they give you the chance to reconnect. I wonder if they'll drop the completely unnecessary online component for the GOTY/compilation/disc release.

Has the game been cracked for PC or the online component been hacked out? The only torrent I see for it (just now looking) is for the alpha, which I guess is probably only a lovely version of Paris.

Actually it still really bothers me that 100% of characters in the game speak English and only English. Seriously guys get some goddamn multinational voice actors to run at least some of your lines.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it felt like you were walking in and ending a coup in an airport fiction/clancy novel.

Did you listen to the dialogue from the old school headmaster on the roof? He's thinking aloud while writing the plot to his new book and its exactly that. I think someone even uses the phrase "airport fiction" (maybe the couple talking outside in front of the store).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

ALSO they've modded out the ability to dump unconscious people into the acid in the Sapienza labs. I always got a sick thrill from running into the bio-lab, punching out all the scientists in there and just dumping them into the acid.

?? I thought there was even a specific achievement / objective that was to "breaking bad" some of the guys. Or do you mean if you kill them you can dump them in the acid, but not if they're just unconscious?

I thought it was weird that it didn't say "innocent killed" when I dumped the scientists in the acid, but maybe the game thought they weren't innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So is there going to be like a 3-4 month break before the next episodes? I haven't really followed their release schedule if they announced anything in advance, but a couple sites seem to say that US/Japan/Thailand are the last 3 episodes, and they'll come towards the end of 2016? And that it will just be these 6 episodes plus the tutorial?

6 episodes seems like a pretty good length of the game when they're released one-by-one and I'm spending like 4+ hours replaying each one, but if I bought the game on a disc later on I'd probably blow through the entire game in like 6-7 hours. I guess there's something to be said for the episodic release format after all.