Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Hardtarget posted:

hmmm GMG sent me a 25% off coupon that I can use to get the intro pack for like 12 bucks and it includes beta access.

I just don't know, I love hitman, and it looks like fun, but are they gonna gently caress people over on intro -> full pack pricing or who knows? i kinda want to get it as the giantbomb quicklook of the beta looked pretty good.

Lol. Just spent the 12 loving dollars jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
There's still like, 49 minutes till it unlocks. Everyone else is console and therefore made a bad decision so they don't count.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

The dumb part is you thinking that will happen with this game.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

I for one love the instincts and guides and all that jazz. Lot's better than spending the precious time I have wandering around a level aimlessly trying to figure poo poo out for hours. Love the new trend of appealing to casuals, gets rid of all the grognardy aspects but still lets you have the authentic experience.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

So played Paris for a while doing like half of the challenges and then just got bored. Booted up Alekhine's Gun for the first time, and dude it just feels a lot better with the mission flow. Hitman doesn't have a flow, and at most I think this level really has in terms of like, novel experiences, is 1 hour or so.

Try Alekhine's Gun guys, its some nice classic stealth action. I guess I'll play 2 more hours of Hitman next month when the next ep comes out? Hitman series just became a boring CBS weekly show guys haha.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

If you need to zoom git gud.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Hitman: 6 levels in total plus prologue, staggered release

Hitman blood Money: 12 levels in total plus prologue, all came out at once.

Whats the reason for this.

Hitman fans don't care if their franchise gets bastardized.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

The contracts mode are a joke. You can do the same thing in Silent Assassin by forcing yourself to kill some Japanese dude with a knife and a certain costume. Boom, contract done. Modern padding of games for sheep is what we have here.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Christ gamers these days are dense. Whether wilfully or not.

Games are a lot bigger, have more moving parts, and prettier than they were TEN YEARS AGO. It takes a lot longer and a lot more money to make them. There's more detail in the Paris map than all of BM combined. Probably 100x more polygons, sound effects, textures, etc. These maps are bigger, more detailed and have ongoing support. Also, SE wants to see how it goes before spending 50-100 million on development and marketing for a game that might not make it back. PUBLISHERS LIKE TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT WASTE IT MORE NEWS AT FIVE.

It gets really tiring seeing the same bullshit complaints, time and time again, especially when it's so obvious why these things are the way they are. Comparing games that are ten years apart in both design and budget and the difference in the industry is loving dumb. It's really loving dumb.

You don't have to like it, but it's about time people start accepting certain realities instead of whining about things because it isn't exactly like the times they remember with rose-tinted glasses. poo poo's different now, if you hate it so much go take up pottery or something.

10 years from now:

"God gamers are dense. Of course a game nowadays would only have one level, can you imagine the millions of polygons that have to be scripted for each bathroom tile? The lighting in that same bathroom that took 20 software engineers 3 weeks to get right? The complex moving patterns of 50 NPC's in this level?

What, you want variety in your game? You want to visit different locales and setups? No, the future is one level with an infinite amount of contracts. Nothing changes, but if you use your imagination this game can last years!"

This is such bullshit. Blood Money was 10x the better game, and I'd rather play Contracts or Silent Assasin any day over this one. I mean, I enjoyed the tutorials and Paris, but this trend of bigger levels with less variety is just a way to cheap out on gamers, and you guys just slurp it up.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

WindyMan posted:

IOI have said that if the first season does well, they could keep right on going and develop a second season with new locations. So we could very well get a game that lasts years, because it could be a Calladooty situation where they just keep developing the game and releasing new content (that we have to keep paying for, but whatev) in perpetuity.

If you use your imagination, those games could last years.

I'm criticizing the idea that development resources are increasingly put into creating more detailed and beautiful locations at the expense of being able to create more GAMEPLAY. It's a move from the focus on the level as being the dynamic factor, and a move towards making the things in the level dynamic therefore decreasing the need for more levels. It's a great way to fool people into thinking they are getting the same amount of content, but in actuality it's just a skinner-box of "challenges" that keep you playing and not novelty.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Moartoast posted:

idea that it focuses on the pure core gameplay, there needs to be a light smattering of an unlock loop to keep people going.

Go play an ARPG if you want grindy mechanics, stop making GBS threads up the Hitman games with this crap. This type of thinking is why we have developers focusing on not creating content but rather gating content behind time intensive activities, artificially increasing game length with no actual benefits. It tickles that addictive part of your brain and doesn't give you much more.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 15, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Blood Money literally had you saving up money between missions to buy upgrades for your weapons, chief.

That rewards skill and not repetition (sometimes some skill needs to be built, but once that is done it is done). QED.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Swartz posted:

As fun as this was at first, due to the initial bugs and now the patch that broke things, I'm going to wait a good while before diving in again. I only bought the intro pack. I think I'm going to wait until they've released a good two more locations and they've sorted out the issues before I come back to this, unfortunately.

In the meantime, give Alekehine's Gun a try, limited bugs and issues there.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Saladman posted:

I know metacritic isn't everything, but Alekehines Gun gets like the worst reviews I've ever seen on Metacritic. And well-written reviews too, not like the babies who give ME3 zero stars because they didn't like the ending or D3 a 0 because they couldn't connect on launch day.

That's because people expect a quality polished game from Alekhine's Gun, that's not what it is and it appeals more to a lover of classic stealth / assassin games with a focus on levels and gameplay.

i.e no unlocking gun #20 in this game

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol this is just sad. oh so it appeals to people who accept trash? I'll steer clear, then.

I didn't know they were doing survey stuff, that's at least one cool thing about the episodic nature: they can keep updating stuff to be there off the bat in future episodes.

Uhh no, they spent dev time creating novel levels and scenarios, and they have a full game to release at a pretty cheap price (i got it for like 20) The gameplay is solid, so it's not trash.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

What's the point to storing things in trash cans? I thought it might allow you to smuggle items past being frisked, but you can't move the trash cans, so...?

Store a bomb, blow it up.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

exact same scripting on the exact same map but with arbitrary goals.

#Hitman 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Hate to do this but I kinda want to avoid any particular spoilers, but is this game worth a buy? Liked Blood Money, didn't play Absolution..

Also read the OP and it says its $15 for the base game + episodic and $60 if you wait for all of the episodes game to be released? Does that mean paying $60 forces you to wait to play the episodes or can you get them right away?

It's not a hard concept. There is one Paris episode out now, with a new one each month. Buy all for 60 you still wait for them, but in the end it's cheaper.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Neon Knight posted:

I still can't play Just Cause 3 while logged into PSN, it tries and fails to connect to Square Enix servers every second time I pull up the map, locks me there for a few minutes before failing. No option to turn it off completely. Why? For useless leaderboards. This has to be a stupid mandate from Square Enix right? Enjoy your always online Deus Ex with leaderbaords.

Glad I only bought the first episode. It is my first Hitman, and it was really fun for the two run throughs of Paris I managed to get between being kicked off. I am feeling like they are not going to take the online thing out, so I won't be getting any more episodes.

Alekhine's Gun has no online component, so you can enjoy that :)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

I have always noticed that I am very fond of the levels where you can just have your regular suit on for a big part of the level, and only like, more restricted sections rely upon disguises. As opposed to levels where you can't make it more than 5% of the way before needing a disguise (like the Chessmaster Tutorial level.)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Why do spergs complain about always-online and not complain about the server upkeep and poo poo so that people do not run into problems? Like who gives a poo poo if a game is always online in TYOOL16, all SE needs to do is fix up their servers and poo poo and then it wouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Welp this game is dead LOL. Gaming community moves too fast to care about a little update each month.