Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

khwarezm posted:

it had this real ugliness in the character design and tone, and don't get me started on the way women get portrayed in it.

To be fair, IOI has always had some real bad issues with these things. Blood Money's maybe the closest they ever came to being decent about that and it still had some extremely, uh, questionable parts, and that was before they regressed completely in K&L2, where you are at one point forced to listen to a lady being raped during a loading screen (seriously) so the male leads would have more motivational framing to shoot more people.

Trailers for this Hitman aren't looking super promising on that front, either. Though this one seems to be presented so dryly that you can hopefully just skip/ignore IOI's tendency towards gross framing devices/bizarrely terrible plots and just focus on the mechanics of assassinatin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I need to use the bathroom.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

khwarezm posted:

True, it seemed in BM that there was only one model they had for most women below fifty, and that model had the most ridiculous tits. Absolution just felt like they were going backwards on that front at a point when most games were finally getting the idea that maybe this sort of carry on was really dumb.

I will say that the trailers are really selling me on the new game though, I think the trailer that involved 47 jogging interspersed with clips of various assassinations is one of my favorite game trailers I've seen in years, it just perfectly gets the kind of tone I want in a hitman game, that combination of glamour and danger that really makes it feel like your trying to rub out some seriously powerful people in the most elegant way possible.

The rhythmic breathing leading into the ~sick beats~ was so drat hype. The only thing I'm questioning is the appearance of skeezy men doing vaguely exploitative things to women (that are leered at just as much by the camera as they are the skeezy dudes), because man does this series lean way too hard on that for framing the killing of peeps.

The trailer was great otherwise, though. If IOI doing vaguely unfortunate stuff ruined these games for me, I wouldn't be so into Contracts or BM. Here's hoping they remembered how to do good game design again.

Also bring back newspapers goddammit I want to read about how many people equate stealing dead people's clothes to being a chameleon.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

RPS reports that the scripted kill "opportunity" system continues absolution's approach of triggering scripted events when you're nearby to witness them and act, making it less of a working environment to navigate and more of a carnival ride with periodic "Press F to kill in this totally sick way, dude, don't forget to tell your friends" moments.

Boy, that's worrying. One of my favorite parts of the old games was how natural the scripting worked. Each little "world" rarely revolved around the player, which is something that most games just don't do, and it really lent this sense of actually infiltrating a living place. Having NPCs stand around waiting to take their marks and spout exposition when the player is nearby (along with flashing USE THIS FOR SOME SWEET ASSASSINATION ACTION setpieces) is basically antithetical to the whole design of classic Hitman. There were hints of these things in BM, but they weren't a huge deal at the time and the levels were still largely naturalistic and freeform enough to facilitate The Good poo poo.

I kinda figured IOI had come to their senses when one of the previews for this new one explicitly said "we have this many NPCs active and doing their own thing all across the map at a time", but y'know, marketing is just marketing I guess.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

The two big assassination-themed series' that had Jesper Goddamn Kyd loving dropped him despite getting even bigger budgets than when they had him, and have never picked him back up even when literally anyone that knows him wants him back.

If that doesn't reflect how hosed up this industry is, I don't know what does.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

The Contracts theme evokes its respective game so drat well, and holds a special place in my heart, since I was introduced to the series through that game and that awesome fuckin' theme.

Goddamn do I love Contracts in all its surreal, atmospheric, nonsensical, janky glory. I even like the parts I'm pretty sure IO doesn't want me to like. Meat King's Party is hilarious in all the ways I think it was meant to be disturbing, it's like if David Lynch got tasked to direct a badly-written CSI episode on vague early 2000's kink fear.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

When Codename 47 came out Jesper Kyd was some no-name and now he's a hugely successful and in-demand composer. Maybe instead of being some vast conspiracy by the evil Game Industry to take away your epic gaming music feels they just can't afford him now or he'd rather do new stuff instead of the fifth or sixth game in a series he's been working on for over a decade

I may have been being a touch facetious and understand there's a thousand moving parts in game dev and am not, in fact, concerned with ethics in game composition :ssh:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

So uh, the "beta" is apparently up for some folks on PS4, anyone in this thread given it a go yet? If the blurbs are to be believed, there isn't much to it, but I'm hoping it gives some actual sense of the level/game design. I'm a PC jerk so I have to wait a week :saddowns:

Their attempts to diffuse the "pre-order demo" jokes are pretty funny, though. Yes, you need to stress test the servers for this thing that will ultimately be playable offline anyways, and will only use online functions for stat tracking and uploading contracts (which I don't think are even in the beta). Uh huh.

Then again, Squeenix's last published game had live leaderboards that could drop a dozen or two frames when activated, and constantly had network issues interrupting everybody's SP games, so maybe it's not totally unwarranted :v:.

e;fb

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i played it offline. its alright/good.

Well, good to hear you can play offline, at least. The pre-beta stuff said it'd be always online which had me a bit worried.

I'd watch a stream since there's no NDA or w/e but watching random Twitch streamers is a hell of a dice roll.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

BillBear posted:

I have zero problem with the newb friendly hud stuff since the last traditional Hitman came out 10 years ago this year, plus you can always turn it off.

Yeah, that whole thing sounds pretty good and presenting things in a more newcomer-friendly way while retaining the design that holds everything together is nothing but a good change.

Much as I love 'em, those old games were pretty impenetrable before you really sat down to learn all the weird, cool and barely-explained mechanics.

Goddammit I promised myself I wouldn't get too hype because the episodic thing is super dubious (especially if you've read up on the insidious poo poo that's been goin' down at Square) and IOI's been mediocre-at-best since K&L, but "Blood Money 2.0 with Absolutions QoL improvements and less creeper poo poo" is like, the exact thing I wanted out of the next Hitman game.

why is this ps4 timed exclusive ffs.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It might also indicate that Kyd is difficult to work with or overcharges for his services. I like his music, but when you see that pattern...

Like I said, I'm being facetious. I could definitely see a dude like Kyd being hard to work with/pay for with the kind of stuff he's done.

Also, on the topic of SA, were the console versions ever significantly gimped? I've still got a Gamecube copy of SA knocking around that I've barely played, and I don't know how active the maps are in SA compared to Contracts or BM, but a GC pulling off the kind of poo poo Hitman's known for seems a bit dubious.

I could just download the PC version and have decent resolution and controls, but where's the novelty in that???

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Watching the Giant Bomb video on the beta, it looks like the assassination target evacuated his bladder when they shot him in the face :gonk:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'm defos hoping they made the mechanics/AI/level design well enough to facilitate solutions beyond the paths they explicitly planned out. The bit of beta stuff I've seen definitely suggests that that's the case, hopefully it holds up to scrutiny in larger levels.

Also really hope you can turn off the feats & OPPORTUNITY REVEALING/REVEALED prompts, they're neat in a way but i'd prefer to more naturally find this stuff out on my own

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Well in that case you'd better do your best to earn that sweet white funeral suit from Blood Money or else you'll be stuck with Absolution's bathrobe scarecrow!

All of IO's weirdness will be forgiven if I can dress 47 in an unlockable tight leather nun outfit :getin:

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Too bad the soundtrack will probably suck when compared to Codename 47 or Contracts. Still, I'm willing to give this new guy a chance.

I mean, Absolution's score wasn't bad, it's just largely forgettable due to it mostly being stings that are too short to have any sort of melody or flow. If they set up the music cues more like Blood Money, the composer might actually be able to do something with it. And hey, maybe with the lack of a horribly misdirected story, the composer won't be trying to play up hammy ~dark emotional strings~, so that's something.

Kyd's obviously the master, but as has been pointed out several times ITT, he's evidently too expensive/too busy to return. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind them reusing/referencing some of his old tracks, but I realize this is probably a licensing mess unto itself.

Something else nobody's really pointed out: People were really worried about 47's appearance in the initial gameplay trailer, which made him look borderline-Olyphant-47, but it looks like his appearance is pretty on-point in the beta. I wonder if it was similar to the Absolution Bateson situation, or if it's just something to do with a mission we haven't seen yet.

either way imo they should have gone all the way and just made him look like Codename 47's legit scary boxart render.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

First person always felt like it made shooting/aiming feel better to me, it strikes me as a pre-over-the-shoulder solution to fine aim, which worked well enough for the time but is pretty much obsolete now. There's still some novelty to playing TPS games in first person, but not really any practical use for Hitman to have it at this point.

4 and a half hours till PC beta, get mildly hype.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

http://spinning47.tumblr.com/

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

They did not. The only things that did that were things where the event was because you were doing something, particularly speaking to an Agency contact.

Blood Money had a few unobtrusive ones. The one that stands out to me is the two people talking about the "new doctor" in the asylum who don't start talking/go on their route until you open the front door or alert them otherwise.

Worse-but-more-fun example: The door on the cruiseliner that makes a dude shout "Waiter!" that you can just keep opening/running through to make him constantly shout the same line forever.

That said, they barely affected the game's AI routes and light ecosystem, whereas here, it's painfully obvious that any NPC that's there to REVEAL OPPORTUNITIES is just standing directly on their mark doing absolutely nothing until the player gets within a safe range to REVEAL OPPORTUNITIES. I was kinda hoping that the prompt meant they'd try to make eavesdropping more natural, but it's just the same hokey overused system from Absolution being presented with an extra UI element.

I get why they want to make it that way, but they could reveal a lot of that info more naturally, even if it was just setting those NPCs on a timer so they aren't standing completely still until the end of time if you never trigger their scripts. That's not a great or even good solution, but it's a start.

Good Hitman levels were about planning a way through a level that doesn't revolve around the player and just does its own thing until the player interferes, this is already feeling like it's more about planning your way through the script triggers, which is way less engaging. The second mission felt like a slightly bigger Absolution level with a better disguise mechanic, which isn't bad, it's just not Blood Money 2.

I honestly like everything else about the game, it's just that one element that has me really drat worried for the game's future level design.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

You can turn off opportunity tracking in the settings, can't you?

It's not the UI element that bugs me, it's the actual game design behind it. There's no way to turn off the AI's "wait for player to be in range, then activate" scripting, just the HUD element that informs you that that's a thing that's happening.

Honestly, that UI could be used for good, if you could catch an NPC mid-conversation or be informed that there's some important discussin' going on at some other part of the map, it'd be a good helper for new players that aren't used to the pacing of that kind of Hitman level. As it stands, though, it's just a big "hey dummy this part is designed to make you "overhear" important info" indicator.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd imagine it can't all be scripted events if there are going to be randomized targets for events and community targets in Contracts mode. That or IO really haven't thought things out.

What I'm thinking (and hoping) is that the initial "story" version of each mission will have all the dialogue and scripted events and all that, then there will be an extra version of the map that pares down the scripting and dialogue in favour of accommodating the more sanbox-y objectives/challenges/contracts.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm assuming it's one map with several assassinations on it. Seems like more content than MGS Ground Zeroes. At half the cost.

Eh, comparing anything to GZ isn't a super great omen, considering that the hideous overpricing of that was the first major hint that people (outside of uh, insiders) got at what Konami was going to become, and Square Enix is already going down a very similar path in a very similar way.

That said, 15 bucks is the closest i've seen any of these dubious AAA """starter packs""" come to being decently priced, and if they actually keep up support for its live stuff, it could be a genuinely decent little thing. I'm still immensely wary of the business model and the people who want to use it, but this specific use of it seems like it could be okay.

Either way, it'll be really fun to read the Steam reviews on launch day, so that's something.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

My only real concern with the release model for Hitman is the actual support for it. I'm a weirdo who genuinely enjoyed the new SW Battlefront enough to get its season pass (at a deep-rear end discount, obv) but holy good gravy have they done almost nothing to motivate continued interest in that game, even if the DLC packs poo poo diamonds, they'll land with a wet thud, because there's next to no momentum to keep the interest flowing.

The challenges and contracts and all that in Hitman seem designed to keep things moving, but if it takes more than like, a month (and a half, at most) for each new map(pack?) to come out, interest is going to probably die down fairly quickly.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

well as I just said GMG has sold out their stock of "full experience" keys. I can't check right now but I'd wager it's also a top seller on Steam.

I mean, yeah, but that's basically a pre-order of most of the game on a discount. Loads of people buy season passes and early access games regularly and this is the same principle as both of those. If you're going to do the gradual release thing like this, you gotta keep momentum before interest dies down too much for new content to seem worthwhile. Though, granted, if people buy in enough at first, the company doesn't need to give a poo poo long-term and it's only the consumer losing out, which is the worrying part.

Though this:

Look Sir Droids posted:

My impression of the Hitman player base is its relatively small for a AAA game but also pretty dedicated. This is a game with lots of replay value built in, trying to do every mission in every available way. Add in the contracts mode and special targets, I am not too worried about staying power.

Is pretty true, and like i said those systems seem to be in place specifically to build and sustain interest between releases, so i am a bit more confident in this than I am a traditional season pass.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I've actually found the violence in the new game to be almost pleasantly cartoonish. There's still lots of "oooo, poo poo that's gotta hurt" stuff, but it's like Skate ragdoll physics most of the time and it's just wacky. Sending a crowbar flying gently through the air directly at someone's face and hearing it bonk off their head while they do a little dance and tumble over with stars above their head is... almost lighthearted? Even the brutal-looking CQC poo poo just knocks them out, even when it involves an audible crack of the skull with hammer, and the actual killing move of a neck snap is unsettlingly quiet and unceremonious.

So far there's next to none of the edgelord bullshit from Absolution, and even the stuff that hints at remnants of it barely feels edgy at all. Granted, this is the prologue where everything's diegetically make-believe, so that could very well change (The trailer at least hints at some eventual lame women-in-peril exploitation nonsense), but so far they've actually done better at keeping some modicum of taste intact than probably any other game in the franchise.

I also heard a guard respond to a report of a dead body with "For realsies?!" so this game's tone is alright so far imo. They just need to sort out the scripting stuff in some way so weirdos like me can feel ~immersed~ or whatever bullshit buzzword you wanna use for it.

Discendo Vox posted:

You're absolutely right, I forgot about those ones in BM. I...really didn't like BM. Cool "opportunities" aren't really a game mechanic, and they were that game's main draw. And the freaking coin...way too exploitable.

I dunno, BM was just before the surge of video game social media stuff, so it wasn't playing to the crowd nearly as much as later games. It definitely leaned on the "let's make the target walk around here so this conveniently placed X can kill them through Y and we can SPLITSCREEN to show how SWEET that KILL is" design a bit too much, so I can see your complaint there, but I wouldn't say it's the main draw. Mind you, designing a game like this is all about making sure the player has clear opportunities to accomplish an objective, it's just that they became more static setpiece-oriented and less naturalistic as time went on, which started limiting creative options in BM but didn't start being a real problem until Absolution. Tho that's largely down to personal taste.

I could be at peace with the setpiece stuff if it was just a passive part of the design, rather than having every element of the level and AI design bend to point towards this sweet poo poo that the devs set up hells yeah bro. That literal all-caps OPPORTUNITY REVEALING prompt is practically self-parody at this point.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

It's still hilarious to me that Square Enix published Absolution and Thi4f within like two years of each other, and they make so many of the same mistakes in such similar ways, and wasted potential in similar ways, too. I even remember that they used the same VA for their "101" trailers that give bullet point rundowns of mechanics/story/whatever. Those games dovetailed so nicely as hot messes of confused adaptations of classic freeform games.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Finally got Blood money downloaded on the 360 last night, first impressions.

. The graphics haven't aged well or were never that good anyway, same for how the characters are animated, but 47 looks great.

.No crouch toggle and not enough control options.

I managed to SA the wine mission and the opera mission and it was very satisfying seeing it all come together.

Blood Money was a very, very early last-gen game, so early that it had to be scale-able enough to port to PS2. It was actually pretty good looking at the time, mainly with vibrant levels like A New Life, and was a pretty decent "next-gen" showpiece for its day IIRC.

Just be thankful you never got stuck playing it on minimum settings on PC, because uh...

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I can sympathize with missing the grittier atmospherics of Contracts, Blood Money aims for a much cleaner, utilitarian aesthetic that works in some parts and really doesn't in others. Till Death Do Us Part looks especially bland, but Vegas is pretty lively and vibrant, it's all a bit of a mixed bag. Contracts didn't look amazing by any stretch, but it knew how to work with its limitations with a bit more consistency.

Still really wish the "HD Trilogy" wasn't just a 720p port of all the games. I get that overhauling the visuals for all three games would be a budgetary nightmare, but they could at least add a bit more pizzazz to BM beyond "now the resolution isn't early-gen arse also it's on PS3 now".

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Absolution was basically a sequel to Silent Assassin that decided to iterate upon the absolute worst parts of that game and slapping on the Misdirected Story Of The Year to string it all together. I really tried to like Absolution, there were some parts that were almost okay and the nebulous ~game feel~ did have something to it, but jesus christ if most of that game wasn't grossly abhorrent where it wasn't interminably boring.

Reliving the writing alone reminds me that, for as many facets of the games industry and community that are gross as hell now, we were in a much worse spot just 3 or 4 years ago.

At least that bafflingly misdirected movie they released last year looks funnybad... is it funnybad?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i gambled and bought alekhines gun from gamestop. its crap. it plays like blood money on a budget but so much worse. the controls are overly complex and stiff. the frame rate is poo poo, the shooting and the stealth are bad. hell you cant even go postal because the aim retical and recoil and cover system are poo poo and wont allow it. i am so loving returning it.

I am posting this as warning for any bored hitman fans who want a hitman clone.

Welp, this bums me out but doesn't surprise me. Death To Spies 2 was pretty rough but playable and seemed to understand some HM systems better than others, but the development hell, failed kickstarters, wonky preview footage and very very dumb name change were defos setting off some warning bells for this one. Also lol at how they tried to make console versions (released ten days earlier than PC for precisely zero reason) on an already-minuscule budget, no kidding it looks and runs like crap.

From the few reviews I've seen so far, it sounds like they made the controls and gunplay even worse than DTS2, which is utterly hilarious.

Oh well, it's releasing the same day as Hitman's Paris level for PC, and for all the complaints I can level about IOI's iffy script triggers, at least Hitman will defos play well and be fun in some way.

Heavy Metal posted:

This is Hitman. I hope we get more and more abhorrant as we go, though it's always had some crass stuff and whatnot. It's Hitman, a darkly comedic game about killing for money. But it is all personal taste, for me I don't find anything in the game abhorrant, not even the sexy gun nuns or whatever ha, it's a stylized kooky simulator of movie cliches and whatnot.

Eh, I get the appeal but it's just not my kind of black comedy, I like the villains being morally bankrupt scumbags, not so much the exploitative camera angles and "oh and they're even more villainous because they are <insert scaaaaary minority here>" and whatnot. Also Absolution had the Watch Dogs problem of not knowing whether its protagonist is a hosed up noir villain that you're supposed to think is an awful person or a super cool brooding anti hero that you're supposed to think is cool and good and ICONIC TIE.

Not to mention how little faith I have in IOI's writing being in... well, good faith, since the abomination that was Kane and Lynch 2, but that's different topic, and the less I remind myself of it, the better.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Good to see HEALTH still getting some video game play. Max Payne 3 had a looooot of awful problems, HEALTH's music was not one of them. Trailer track is "MEN TODAY", btw, off of their fairly new and very good album.

Also holy poo poo we get to make 47 look fabulous and to a heelturn on the catwalk, I am so unironically into this it's unbelievable.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Most people basically only remember K&L2 for the fragile alliance multiplayer (which has since been one-upped by better developers anyways). That's actually a good thing, though, because the only things the singleplayer is memorable for are hilarious glitches and the worst parts of the high school edgelord brodude story. Christ that game was thoroughly rotten.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

marktheando posted:

I know that's Shadow the Hedgehog but I'm pretty lost about the rest of those posts. Is he a gun wielding clone? I thought he was just one of Sonic's pals. Like all people of taste and refinement I haven't played a Sonic game for a very long time.

This confusion must be my comeuppance for feeling smug about getting the Natalie Wood and Lord Lucan jokes.

The game literally called Shadow the Hedgehog has him wielding a gun on the front cover. He also says "drat" a few times because he's """tortured by his mysterious past""" and people were supposed to be very impressed by how dark and edgy the game is.

I can't even remember how I was exposed to that game, but someone should recommend a decent LP of that game because it is something.

also to draw more parallels this series has early games that people remember fondly because of nostalgic cherrypicking but they're actually mostly-terrible games designed by idiots who have never known what the gently caress they're doing :ssh:

This HM will probably be the Generations of the series, which means the next game will be the Sonic Boom of Hitman

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Absolution is Shadow The Hedgehog, obviously. Or Sonic '06 if you're feeling especially scathing.

I promise this thread will stop being about Sonic The Hedgehog analogues soon.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Really bad linear levels set in old west canyons: check.

I don't know why but this is genuinely hilarious to me.

Also I feel blind as hell because the Agency logo has never looked like anything to me. I kinda like it as a clean icon on the desktop but I have no actual idea what it's supposed to be, if it's anything beyond "check out this neat thing our graphic designer made in their first week here". It's also worth noting that I am the actual factual worst at comprehending optical illusions or even just plain minimalist art.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I don't get the obsession with blood and gore in Hitman. The more blood there is in a Hitman mission the more you're playing it wrong.

Hitman is a series that has an explicit focal point of "murder people (typically stereotypes of the ethnic/sexual variety) in spectacular, elaborate and/or impressive ways as a bald white macho pig man", and systemically facilitates reactive mass murder, especially with the addition of BM's newspapers, law of averages says it's going to attract some massive creeps. IOI and Square's tonal confusion definitely hasn't helped matters.

That's not to say enjoying playing Hitman "wrong" isn't fun, just that some people are a teensy bit obsessed with making it into a genuine murder simulator instead of a freeform wacky ragdoll video game funtimes simulator.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0O5spsGf8o

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I made another thing while the preload unlocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-Npw70zf4

can't wait to get copyright claimed for a four second quarter-assed reference.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'm liking the already-apparent swathes of options/approaches/whatever and the systems seem neat but boy does this perform like poopy on PC for me, even on lower settings I'm struggling to hit consistent 30. On anything above low, I regularly crash after playing a bit, which happened during beta when I cranked the LOD/shadows too high and now happens when I'm at anything above lowest. Presumably it's my dinky FX 8350 bottlenecking my 970, but even when that happens in intensive modern games, it's nowhere near this bad.

Hopefully they throw out some patches quick, I'm sure it's just a bit of porting shenanigans, since the console versions now perform way better than beta and, conversely, the beta levels were better for me on PC than their final version counterparts.

Regardless, I am determined to put out a comically violent contract for this shithead security guard that just said "Smile for that extra tip!" while I was dressed as a waiter.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah no their whole business model would make that a completely nonsensical move. At most, they'll eventually release the first two training missions (i.e, stuff from the beta) as a demo, which I'd actually be pretty okay with. I mean, poo poo, that might mean that this'll ultimately be a standardly priced full AAA release with no season pass or microtransactions and a free demo and online functionality that actually adds meaningful things to the game.

Square might be a shady-rear end company trying to ease the industry into some gross poo poo, but this particular game seems to be using it (somewhat) decently, so that's something.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Each "episode", as far as I know, is just one big level. This first batch is pretty much the only thing that will be a batch, since they threw in the training stuff from beta.

I fixed my performance, turns out Nvidia actually fixed their garbage drivers and now they're necessary for it to run decently on a midrange system. DX12 runs super great on very high settings but has a real issue with hitching every minute or two and is really prone to crashing and load times seem worse too for some reason??? DX11 is acceptable for now with LODs turned down, but here's hoping DX12 mode gets patched so I can work those extra FX chip cores and feel like I have an actually decent CPU.

I like the idea of the unlock progression but its execution leaves something to be desired. I like naturally learning the level and doing crazy stuff of my own volition, so I don't look at the feats or opportunities, but then I kinda have to, because unlocking even more freedom of choice requires doing those challenges. There's no real reason to care about score right now outside of largely-meaningless leaderboards, so i feel like they could have used score as an unlock system and just given extra for completed challenges.

I also miss newspapers and notoriety from BM, because as janky as those were, they were still a really neat way to feel like there was actual post-mission reactivity to your actions outside of arbitrary videogame-rear end scoring.

But hey, I exited my first true assassination by dressing as a vampire magician to go incognito after blowing my cover and killed myself by standing in a puddle of water while going "I wonder why this prompt lets me expose this wire here", so this game's still pretty good so far.

Bouncing quarters off of dudes' booties to interrupt scripted conversations might be my new favourite thing to do, next to finding any excuse to use the duck.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Word is there's a crazy outfit that's basically challenge mode hidden somewhere in the map. It's presumably unlockable for contracts mode, too.

I think I accidentally found this while desperately running away from my botched first assassination, since the vampire magician doesn't seem like they'd be able to get around much. Still let me get away scot-free by getting spotted trespassing and letting them escort me out of the building.

My first genuine hit ended with stealing a helicopter as a vampire magician, so this game has something going for it, and thankfully seems to be avoiding the self-serious gore fetishism that the creepier fans want so bad. There's already some pretty brutal poo poo with the animations and sound design, they just cooled it on the overdone blood textures from Absolution and went for a more understated look.

It sucks that peeps are weird creepers about this stuff, because I totally get why wacky video game violence and gore can be fun, I've just gradually learned that people who talk about or focus on it at length tend to be colossal creeps who don't know when to stop creepin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

s0m3 guy posted:

io interactive is a shell of what it was desperately trying to figure out its identity while digging through the liquor cabinet its old owners left behind

good thing i finished my vampire magician run. they really gotta fix the ai being able to see through walls with 360 degree vision, i bonked a dude with a fire extinguisher from behind but he still saw that, and a guard told me to get out from the bidding room while i was turning some taps in the bathroom

Here's the secret: IOI has never known what the gently caress they're doing, have mostly produced poo poo, and the good poo poo they made was largely just small moments of clarity in a sea of garbage. Blood Money was the closest thing to being consistently decent, and it still had a shitload of massive problems, not the least of which being introducing the game with an ugly linear level about Danish people wearing virtual blackface.

Also, the melee thing seems intentional. It's pretty hokey, but I guess the idea is that, if you don't want them to compromise your disguise, you have to risk subduing them. Not graceful design, but it's kinda whatever. The other thing seems like a delayed AI trigger or something, which does happen way more often than it ought to, and in general the dialogue system seems pretty borked so idk.