Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hated how maybe 4 missions in Absolution were actually assassination themed and the rest were just stealth-infused 3rd person shooter poo poo. It was a good game but not a great Hitman game at all. It's good to see how they're going back to the basics and creating huge playgrounds to mess with this time.

I preordered the Intro pack for about ten bux because why not, comes with beta access and enough content to decide whether to drop more monies on the rest of the content. Cautiously optimistic, hoping the FPS is at least solid on the PS4. Will probably post impressions when the console beta drops on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

People always say this while ignoring that the first two Hitman games had plenty of levels where the goal wasn't to actually kill anyone. Maybe they aren't similar to Blood Money in that way, but they still fit the Hitman mold.

That's true, though Blood Money/Contracts have become the status quo for what "should" be now in terms of having all these Contract options and big spaces. Absolution had stuff like the Chinatown level but then sometimes railroaded you into very specific things, like turning on the generator switches in the hospice escape.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sindai posted:

Am I reading it right that the new Hitman is going to have 8 missions once they're all released?

It's not completely surprising since Blood Money only had 12 (not counting the murder spree funeral epilogue) and level creation only gets more expensive as time goes on but I bet that's going to be a tough sell for a lot of people, which helps explain the intro pack I guess.

if it does well I'm sure they'll milk Hitman as a platform for more stages and poo poo.

Snuffman posted:

I find the episodic choice and constant changes in "How the game is released"TM somewhat worrying. I think Square-Enix will use it as an excuse to pull development if sales aren't high enough/stay consistent/stay consistently high. The last thing I want is to be left with half a Hitman game.

It would be a hilariously scumfucker move to quit halfway with a game this big. So far impressions are good enough that I doubt it will come to that but I guess we'll see, beta is tomorrow. I have access to that but not sure who else was as daring to at least get the Intro Pack for that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

beta is taking a few mins more in the US to drop

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So I played the demo/beta/whatever, it's just two tiny missions but it seemed okay. The framerate is kind of wonky; it's anywhere from 60 to 30 and wasn't locked towards anything. Animations aren't as polished but it was impressive how many people they crammed into one place without even more framerate drops.

It feels like a Hitman game, Blood Money/Contracts style. disguises work a bit better now that only certain "experts" will have some moments of suspicion towards you. Not sure how I feel about it until I see more of the larger levels and how they manage to work on the framerate stuff. It looks like they're on the right track, though---even putting in some faux methods to gently caress with you. I had used poison on one guy but he successfully purged himself afterwards; I thought it was the surefire method to take him out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for me, the humor comes from dropping and picking my coin back up over and over in front of police officers, pissing them off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VoLaTiLe posted:

Have they released what you will be getting once the games released. I know its in seasons etc but what do I get on March the 11th when the game is live

prologue boat stage, I think the Russia prologue stage, and the big giant Paris level

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

took me the weekend just to finish Paris once but once I started finding Opportunities and poo poo, beat it 3 different times in a row as a waiter, Sheik, rubber duck explosive enthusiast. Really like most of it so far, even if there were a few instances that hosed me over like a random NPC getting pissed at me crouching and proceeding to HUNT ME. I think ultimately IOI needs to give people some offline mode or the impressions and reviews of it will suffer; personally I only got disconnected once but this is 2016, we don't need loving leaderboards as a constant. I do like all the different challenges but really don't think this needs to be tied to the innernet.

I'll be sad if there's only 5 other stages coming, Paris is so rich and I was constantly surprised by how much dialogue I picked up on every time I did a new playthrough. You have to do different poo poo each time to really absorb all the little stories about IAGO, Ascendants, and everyday poo poo from employees. Pretty cool how after I caused a lockout, one of the models called first to her mom to ensure her she was alright, then argued with her bf about not making dinner in time.

Runs really great on PS4 as well, FPS was better than the beta and things looks pretty good. Load times are a huge bummer but as long as the framerate is stable, I'll sweat that out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

The whole thing about Hitman (ESPECIALLY this Hitman with it's episodic model and map size/scripting) is that it's really replayable because of the amount of experimentation and discovery, and reading through the thread casually only to glance over a cool way to kill a target kinda robs people of the sense of discovery or thought process that goes into figuring it out for themselves.

Most if not all the opportunities are outlined in the Opportunity menu. They may not fully describe poo poo but it's there anyway. I didn't know about a safe room possibility though.

Only things that briefly curtailed immersion were 1) nobody giving a poo poo to warn Viktor once I took out Dahlia with a bomb, even much later after the fact, and 2) Viktor's guard doesn't seem to care why I followed him into the bathroom after he got a bit sick. Maybe he just thinks I was being a nice waiter and checking in or something, who knows. Not a huge thing but I do find it odd how killing one target doesn't trigger certain precautions against the other.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably everyone's sick of this but IMO I actually like how much quality went into the Paris level. Just the sheer amount of side-dialogue and touches from NPCs was very impressive, and I'm only barely half done when it comes to using all the possible paths and starting points and tactics. Even if it's "just 6 more after this one" if the quality follows the kind we get from the Paris level, I'll be completely satisfied. I'll gladly take 7 or 8 intricately refined jewels over most poo poo that throws you into big empty worlds.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

That's because people expect a quality polished game from Alekhine's Gun, that's not what it is and it appeals more to a lover of classic stealth / assassin games with a focus on levels and gameplay.

i.e no unlocking gun #20 in this game

lol this is just sad. oh so it appeals to people who accept trash? I'll steer clear, then.

abagofcheetos posted:

I just got an email survey about Hitman, and one of the questions was asking what would you like added, and the briefcase was a choice. So it may be coming in the future!

I didn't know they were doing survey stuff, that's at least one cool thing about the episodic nature: they can keep updating stuff to be there off the bat in future episodes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this sounds pretty lovely http://www.destructoid.com/hitman-save-issues-unfixable-due-to-live-game-experience-350863.phtml

I don't know, think I might just wait for a physical release now instead. I don't want to keep playing if any errors are gonna be met with "lol sorry, get hosed"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really love Hitman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszcDRfupQA

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm with people in saying the lab section is kind of a drag but there is an easy way to finish it up so whatever. I only just beat it but had used the 2 probably easiest ways, happened across things like the vhs or the saferoom purely by accident while searching for the lab entrance. Can't wait to really explore and see what else is possible in this level. The quality of everything in both of the levels so far has been beyond expectations, probably one of the best "sandbox" experiences I've played in a long time.

I feel like too many people are just not going to get to play due to the ridiculous stigma of the episodic structure, which so far has really given us fantastic quality. Funny enough, I'm sure all the same complainers will be lining up to jerk off Squarenix when FF7 is sold in like 3 parts. The online requirement doesnt bother me but I do hope they eventually patch in more offline options just so we don't all lose our Challenge poo poo if servers get hosed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I still think they could have easily just made everything with the main missions and challenge poo poo offline, SO easily. I'm almost hoping, even though I love the game, that it fucks them over with consumers just so they provide the safety net of just letting me not have to worry about stuff like that. progress being always tied to their servers isn't the best thing. Maybe once they do physical release it'll be like that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Man, seems I have fun until the loving lab part because it always turns into a frantic sprint to not get noticed. Are there any scientist disguises I can get before I get in? Seems no other disguises will work at all in there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

You can also get the laptop dongle from the redheaded lady scientist who visits the morgue, which you can use to destroy the virus without having to get as close. The hazmat suits give you a lot of cover, though, only a couple of guys will recognize you when you're wearing it.

I actually got that dongle by accident when she and a bodyguard were going into the lab round the back end, where the seaplane is. I eventually got a scientist disguise through supreme fuckery (taking out one who barely wandered away) and used the dongle method, but it was extremely convoluted. Haven't even found the morgue and chapel yet so good to know these offer better options in later playthroughs.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, they'd have to deviate pretty far from what they've already delivered for the new one to not be at least equal to Blood Money. But there are still four playgrounds left to be released.

Having said that, it feels like we could get a mid-stream update for Sapienza. I thought someone said upthread there's a night-time setting in the works/leaked, and something about Playboy's brothers? Most of the shops are empty, and there's the whole town hall complex that is completely unused at this point.

I also really want a tight, focused mission like a New Life, but I bet everyone want that. :v:

No idea if the nighttime Sapienza is separate from the others, but I've read that the next 3 missions after Marrakesh take place in Thailand, USA, and Japan.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I kind of hope IO gives us the ultimate fanservice mission as a thank you down the line, and send 47 to whatever remote country Kane and Lynch have ended up in to assassinate them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

This is giving me worrying flashbacks to Black Flag's community challenges, which meant that after a certain real life timeframe, there were certain unlocks that were just plain impossible to ever get again. Hopefully whenever they decide to shut the servers down, they set that to automatically unlock or something, or else they've just set up content that will someday be completely impossible to get.

well technically if they ever shut the servers for this game down, it would be pretty much dead and impossible to play.

what's the big deal about the suits unlocked? aren't the suits in the previous games just the same one you wear anyway?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wanted to download ep. 3 remotely but I can't find it anywhere on the PSN store on PC/mobile.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Daydreaming here but what are the odds they could do "DLC" or extra levels after the initial run have ended? Has there been any talk of that at all? I just pray that this is selling well so we get more stuff because I am just so in love it's unreal.

I have heard absolutely zero reports on sales numbers for the episodes and season passes thus far, I don't know if that bodes ill for future content or not. Also depends on whether or not people ever get the gently caress over the episodic delivery and how it infringes upon their gamer e-honor.

Regardless of that I think IOI has a winning formula here in terms of depth and fun, and could easily just pump out new poo poo for the rest of this console gen's lifetime. It'd certainly be one of the best examples to record of "games as a service" if they keep going beyond the 6-7 maps being released.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

AND (I forget your name, sorry) someone found he's ALREADY made a lethal version of the virus with her DNA and hidden it in the mansion.

From the attic fall down the ladder hole and shoot the model ship. There's a vial containing the virus in there. Throw it anywhere near where she walks and it will kill her.

holy hell, how did you find that out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man those bonus levels sound incredible. Would absolutely pay upfront the second they announce a second "season" to the game. They could keep this going for the life cycle of this generation, the approach has been fantastic. I haven't liked Marrakesh as much as the previous two due to the extreme security in areas but it's still loads of fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It seems to me that if they're consistently referring to this as a "season", they probably intend to do another one. I really hope they do, from what I've heard the sales numbers justify it right?

I've heard absolutely nothing about the sales numbers for this, is that on any site? Continuing the Hitman episodes for an entire console lifespan would be a dream. Would also piss off all the morons who still can't stand not having it all on a CD but I hope they enjoy FF7's episodic discs lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

making that new mission only for pre-ordered people only is a shitwipe move. Absolutely no reason to do that to people who bought all the episodes so far; cautionary buying basically rewarded with a "gently caress you, wait 3 months"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Beat the level on my first go last night, a bit quicker than what it took me to beat the other 3 for the first time. Haven't really explored much beyond the penthouse areas that I lead the lawyer up to and the recording booth sessions. Seems a bit smaller than Marrakesh but I'm looking forward to going nuts and punching out everyone in the cleaning services. The quality for this game in terms of dependable framerate and graphics is still insane for how it holds together.

Judge Tesla posted:

I love how Ken Morgan stuffs his own head practically down the toilet in his own suite during the inspection, just begging for you to drown him, his bodyguard even leaves the room during this!

yeah I felt this was maybe the easiest assassination yet. you just lead a guy up to his room after taking an easy disguise and then he's offered up on a platter. only other remarkably easy kill I can recall is Novikov being poisoned on the Bareknuckle Boxer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haha what the heck? that jaeger gun can shoot straight through walls??? don't know if that's more impressive or knowing where jordan is without instinct

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Manwithastick posted:

I'm curious how SA ranks the episodes so far.

For me it's
1. Sapienza
2. Bangkok
3. Morocco
4. Paris

I love the scale and detail of Sapienza, Bangkok is good because I love the hotel element and Cross is so satisfying to take out, Morocco pips Paris because I love the size of the level and rear end in a top hat banker

I'd put Sapienza first for sure and although I haven't played enough of Bangkok, I'd put it and Paris on the same par. Morocco is always going to be last for me if only because of the insane checks against disguises in that level being so exhausting.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

please let me unlock that jacket for other missions.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

The description makes me think this is going to be a level full of 'white dots', be prepared for a more traditional stealth experience avoiding patrols and using coins to distract key people, etc.

I would hate this poo poo, I'm already getting flashbacks to Absolution

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have to assume that since season 2+3 are being done, the profits are pretty good? It's hard to track how sales have been since everything is in ten-dollar parts but I'm glad they the reboot paid off, they definitely know what they are doing. They'd probably sell more if they release offline CDs, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like all the gadget stuff but it seems like the limited starting loadout space is going to start to get really noticeable with all this stuff. It might be nice if there were unlocks that were upgrades to existing gadgets rather than totally new things.

I'm fine with it since most of these things are basically
"easy mode for when you don't want to actually get the keycard/rat poison/etc in a level" but still balanced out because you have to substitute out something like the rubber duck or a breach charge. Adding more slots or upgrading things to have even more features might make missions too easy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought the Jaeger being able to go through geometry was a feature of the gun???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for some reason the game glitched and I couldn't leave the bomb shelter exit after examining the 3 things, which loving sucks after playing for an hour or so and killing all 4. Somehow the game's checkmarks for 2 people I killed never showed up yet still let me get to the exit so it's all hosed. What a letdown.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for all the haranguing and hand wringing about "this is your toughest case yet" Colorado becomes surprisingly lenient once you get the Pointman disguise. I was able to go wherever the hell I wanted except maybe the house with that.

Honestly think Marrakesh is still the most difficult. Jesus I loving hate doing ANYTHING on that map that doesnt involve the cameraman route / poster worker disguises.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

besides "sniper suitcase" my number one request is gonna be "please let us unlock the default level suits for all levels" so I can wear that badass jackass anywhere

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I like to imagine 47 has a side gig at a temp agency which is how he gets a lot of these random skills and every week he gets dragged into different co-worker's wacky lives.

would be a ridiculously stupid and fun mini-bonus episode idea

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

will be sad to see hitman end for a while and I reallllllly hope season 2 comes to fruition because what a ride its been. I hope the 3 bonus episodes come out soon. Would gladly and confidently order the season pass for another 6-7 episodes if they announced it even tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The best part of Freedom Fighters was the ways you could change the game to fit your playstyle.

Go after the armory first? Russians everywhere will only fight you with pistols. Hit the Helipad first? No more Helicopters! Blow up that bridge? Suddenly don't have to worry about tanks/reinforcements in the other maps.

Especially once you realized you could largely stealth your way to most of these big objectives your first time through, so it was entirely possibly to load into a map, sneak to the Helipad, blow it up, go back to the tunnels, go raid a second zone and blow up it's thing, and then go wrap around and conquer all the zones with super weak/useless Russians trying to fight back.

I can't think of a single other game that took that mechanic and it loving kills me.

Metal Gear has been doing things like this since Snake Eater. Blow up rationing houses and soldiers get tired and move around differently. Take out munitions and they have less powerful guns. Take out radios/vehicles/etc in MGSV and it affects things for quite a while. AFAIK this was the only other game that tried to do poo poo like that.