Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
beta in like three hours :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
getting flashbacks to high school and playing the blood money demo over and over again trying to wring every last bit of fun out of that tutorial mission to abate the anticipation for the game's release which was nearly ten years ago now gently caress

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

it locks you out of Silent Assassin.

it does. requirement to SA is never getting spotted, and if a guard is suspicious enough of you to arrest you, that counts.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
You can turn off opportunity tracking in the settings, can't you?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm assuming it's one map with several assassinations on it. Seems like more content than MGS Ground Zeroes. At half the cost.

is that the standard now? I'm still kind of pissed that I was charged $30 to play a demo to MGSV.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

I paid $5 and put 30 hrs in to it. At $15 I still would have been happy. The Hitman pricing doesn't concern me. I plan on buying the full version.

I already did. Even after Absolution, the Hitman IP is worth enough to take a risk on. Plus I got 25% off from GMG.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is that deal still going?

Uh idk, the email linked to a unique url that generated the voucher. Plus they're sold out last I saw.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moartoast posted:

My only real concern with the release model for Hitman is the actual support for it. I'm a weirdo who genuinely enjoyed the new SW Battlefront enough to get its season pass (at a deep-rear end discount, obv) but holy good gravy have they done almost nothing to motivate continued interest in that game, even if the DLC packs poo poo diamonds, they'll land with a wet thud, because there's next to no momentum to keep the interest flowing.

The challenges and contracts and all that in Hitman seem designed to keep things moving, but if it takes more than like, a month (and a half, at most) for each new map(pack?) to come out, interest is going to probably die down fairly quickly.

well as I just said GMG has sold out their stock of "full experience" keys. I can't check right now but I'd wager it's also a top seller on Steam.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mierenneuker posted:

The video a goon posted earlier showed a straightforward save-load system, as in you return to the exact state you were in as you load a game. Just like it was in Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money.

That's exactly what it's like in the beta. Saving your game is even a step in the guided tutorial mission, as if they wanted to draw attention to the fact that they got rid of the other studio's pants-on-head stupid "feature".

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Other studio? Does IOI has multiple studios?

Oh, apparently IOI actually did do Absolution? When I read news that Hitman 6 was being transferred from Square Enix Montreal to IOI, I guess I figured SEM had done Absolution which, you have to admit, would make a lot more sense.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's not really much to the storyline in any of the games.

Codename 47: You're some clone who's been trained to kill since a kid who escapes during routine training, falls in with an agency who puts hits on people and then find out all of your major targets were part of the French Foreign Legion who were the genetic basis of 47. 47 gets called back to the asylum he escaped from, murders his clone brothers and then the professor who created him.

Silent Assassin: The brother of one of your targets in the first game kidnaps some priest and 47 comes out of retirement to perform hits and retrieve parts of a nuclear missile for him, his identity gets blown and he tries to kill 47, you kill him and save the priest.

Contracts: It was literally all a dream except for the final level.

Blood Money: Some FBI guy is the head of a rival agency who really wants 47 dead, so his death gets faked so he can kill the FBI guy at his own funeral.

Absolution: Turns out the Agency is corrupt and is training a little girl to be a supersoldier killer and 47 doesn't want her to go through the same things he did.

The series works best without much of a story. When the story becomes the focus of the game, like in Absolution then problems arise.

Well there's more to Contracts than that. It's a story-within-a-story. The frame narrative takes place during an off-screen incident in Blood Money that's otherwise only alluded to in that game's dialogue (It occurs to me that if, for some reason, you hadn't played Contracts, you'd have no idea what Diana was talking about when she mentions 47's recovery and you'd have no idea who 47's stalker was in the previous scene, or what happened between them), and rest of the missions are retellings of missions for the first game or other as-yet unknown contracts, presumably those that occurred between the end of Codename 47 and his retirement.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well yeah, but it was still mostly a dream.

yeah, I'm just saying if you're summarising the plot of the franchise it deserves a little bit more of an elaboration than "it's just a dream".

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm pretty sure those kills were from past games. The fugu fish was from the first Japan level in Silent Assassin, the drowning was from C47/Contracts in the hotel and the strangulation was from the first real level of Blood Money I believe.

And the strip club mirror shooting was from Absolution.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

You're right- I'm not sure which mission from Codename 47 is the basis for the sniper rifle scene at the start, though. It's one of the chinese ones, going by the sign. None of them gave you a silenced sniper rifle, I think.

That scene, while not actually featured in the game itself, was a piece of concept art from Blood Money and a centrepiece in its marketing.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 27, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The discovery of several hidden bodies, indicates this is the work of a criminal.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been playing through Blood Money with my favourite playstyle of rapidly and silently eliminating security with suppressed weapons.

I also downloaded H2SA only to remember why that isn't possible in that game.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i gambled and bought alekhines gun from gamestop. its crap. it plays like blood money on a budget but so much worse. the controls are overly complex and stiff. the frame rate is poo poo, the shooting and the stealth are bad. hell you cant even go postal because the aim retical and recoil and cover system are poo poo and wont allow it. i am so loving returning it.

I am posting this as warning for any bored hitman fans who want a hitman clone.

reviews seem to confirm this. disappointment. :(

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A proper Hitman film is an INTERPOL agent globetrotting to various crime scenes and getting stumped/making brilliant deductions before showing us the hit. Similar to Boondock Saints but with more focus on the mystery and technical prowess of the hit.

Except INTERPOL doesn't do anything remotely like that. In Hollywood they do, though, so I guess you're right.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just finished blood money, those last two levels were wank, and did the game just end with agent 47 getting his end away in a Chinese brothel?

:agreed: and I assumed that was supposed to be him drumming up new business

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

Killing Diana was unacceptable.

uh

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Didn't they have something for Blood Money involving toasters and bathwater that got them poo poo for being A Bad Idea?

No the traditional bad idea advert for Blood Money was a picture of a dead woman with a GSW to the face with the caption "beautifully executed"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
47 exsanguinating an anti-FGM activist with a scalpel

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

gently caress

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nckdictator posted:

That does raise a interesting question though: How do you market a Hitman game without coming off like a psychopath?

You don't. Fortunately you don't need to. I never actually saw any of those ads outside of people talking about how controversial they apparently were.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

the black husserl posted:

Maybe, but not as easy as this. Blood money didn't have any tools that were remotely as strong as the new "chuck object at head instant KO" move. You had to sneak up behind someone and syringe them and that wasn't always easy.

isn't doing that loud, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

I've realized something important.

are you going to tell us what it is