Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Phoix posted:

The survey they sent for the alpha a while back was basically a bunch of "hey how good did you think Blood Money was". I'm hopeful but they were pretty much outright lying in the lead up to Absolution so who knows if it'll actually end up anything like Blood Money.

Hopefully they learned their lesson with Absolution. It's not even a bad game, but it's not what we want from Hitman. What we want from Hitman is essentially a puzzle game. With shitloads of murders and wonderful physics that blasts people across rooms when you shoot them with a shotgun or your silverballers.

They have to be fairly confident about it though, because they wouldn't be giving us the chance to test the waters for a mere $15 if they thought they had to sell as many copies as possible before people catch on to the ruse.

Best levels:

1) A House Of Cards

2) Death on the Mississippi

3) A New Life

Special mention to Til Death Do Us Part for letting you shoot the target in the head and have nobody notice because they're all being hicks shooting their guns in the air.

Finally, the proper way to play Blood Money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfguaIfEBAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I get what you're saying but for Hitman I'd lump them together. You're right about the shooting however. Even though Freedom Fighters was great IOI still didn't have shooting down 100%. That said, the cheats for Codename 47 and Freedom Fighters were great. Free camera, time scale, and ioinailgun... :allears:

poo poo I always forget it was IOI who made Freedom Fighters. What a loving great game, wish that had got a sequel.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I picked this up yesterday and dicked around in the tutorials a bit, mostly. Now I am in Paris and crikey this is a big place.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StrixNebulosa posted:

:getin:

The levels in this game are massive, intricate, and fun to play around in. Please report back with your favorite ways to kill Viktor and Dahlia when you've played around in Paris some. :D

After more tries than Blood Money ever took, I finished Paris successfully for the first time. So far my favorite Dalia kill was spiking her booze with rat poison then drowning her in the toilet while she was barfing. Haven't sussed out anything fancy for Viktor yet though, I just shot him from a balcony while he and Sato were on the catwalk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Finished Hokkaido today. Christ that was a good game. Colorado was a bit weaker but still very good, every other level was superb. Though I couldn't figure out how to get the fugu poison into Yuki so I ended up just chucking a knife at her head.

To clarify, is there no way for me to do Elusive Targets - even to not actually gain anything except the personal satisfaction of doing it - that have already come and gone?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nakar posted:

Unless something changes, they're gone for good. You can still watch the briefing videos, but that's all. I highly recommend watching the briefing for Gary Busey.

:lol: Holy poo poo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My first Elusive Target starts tomorrow I guess :allears:

Man I am loving this game. Last night when I was trying to get to sleep I spent ages thinking about how to better approach my current Escalation mission; I'm real early in those so it's only the second Paris one, and I'm desperately trying to figure out how to kill the cameraman in an accident without hurting his reporter. It's loving fantastic, exactly the kind of puzzling things out I always want from Hitman games.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

double nine posted:

me too. Given the mission description I expected him to be sneaking around in the attic/gardens or somesuch - I spent far too long finding the bastard because I went through the entire map except the public areas.

Ha, I did the same until I finally spotted the fucker in the hallway just outside the catwalk room. I need to up my game, but I couldn't figure out ways to set up an accident or get him away from witnesses, so I ended up just shooting him from the top of the barge crane with a Jaeger 7 when he was having a smoke.

It was still tense as hell though, especially when half a dozen guys were booking it towards the origin of the bullet while I was heading the other way. Had to nip into a couple of alcoves to let guys who would see through me run by.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pilchenstein posted:

If that genuinely is the list of locations for season 2 (and it seems a bit long compared to season 1), I'm looking forward to seeing Hull. :v:

Presumably that'll be where we take out that Jeremy Corblair lookin guy on middle-right of that one image Discendo Vox posted :v:

e;

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoaDebK9-9I

This is a prime example of how absurdly beautiful this game is. :allears:

Pro click right here

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 11, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Discendo Vox posted:

That guy's Eugene Cobb, a Herald and a bank director who was the SC's first known target. His plane went down, but his body was never recovered. Everyone who's mentioned him believes he's dead, but is portrait isn't crossed off in the shelter...

Ahhh shame, I guess the Yorkshire-looking hunter three in on the second row must be the Hull target then :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well I just spent two hours killing 164 people in Sapienza. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

What's a "killplane"?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nakar posted:

An invisible boundary that touching or passing through kills you or an NPC. Sapienza has one under the waterline, Hokkaido is surrounded by them to represent the mountain slope, etc.

Almost all are Falls, even if there is water.

Oh ha, that explains why in Paris pitching a dude over the pavillion's wall into the Seine briefly told me I had 90 seconds to hide the body, then he hit the water and the body was hidden.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I was just pondering how I'd rank the levels earlier. Sapienza and Hokkaido are at the top for me, Paris very close behind, and Marrakesh and Colorado close to that. Honestly this entire game is gold, the 'worst' level in my opinion (Colorado) is still fantastically varied and complex, and matches up to all but the very best in the series.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mondian posted:

Huh, I've played about a million hours of this game and never even noticed her.

You've never walked through the second room in Paris? :psyduck:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm quite cross with Squeenix at this point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Video games are art.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Last night I had a dream wherein I was playing/in (you know how dreams are) a large and well-developed Hitman level. It was at some rich dude's country manor and he was throwing a huge shindig to celebrate a huge upcoming deal that was set to make a lot of people in his company incredibly rich. His wife was also a target (I think it was implied they had put out hits on each other) and there were various ways to go about it as usual, with the one I used being shooting him in the back of the head while he's giving a speech on a balcony, sending him flipping forwards over it into the crowd.

With the right disguises of course you could get elsewhere in the manor of course, it had four floors and the bottom was for regular guests, the second was for company guests, the third was for VIPs and featured a lounge for cigar smoking and drinking brandy, and the fourth was the long-abandoned attic. If you poked around in there you could learn loads about this guy's family history, easter eggs, and apparently at least a couple of ways to kill him, one of which involved exposing a secret so shameful he offed himself.

It was pretty comprehensive and awesome, kind of like a cross between Paris and Hokkaido. If I didn't know better I could easily be convinced that it was a Season 2 level or something.

Fake e; one other cool thing was that it started in the early evening and as time passed the sun set and it was nighttime, which didn't change anyone's behavior but did afford you new sneaking opportunities in the shadows. I dream-knew it was considered in threads like this to be a neat and pleasingly subtle way to make the level a touch easier if you were struggling.

hire me ioi

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 7, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nakar posted:

A convention center in general would make for a pretty amazing level. Make it akin to Paris, with a more benign (but potentially silly) convention happening in the main area with some kind of nefarious goings-on in the more restricted areas. Staff areas allow for slipping between. Challenge for killing the restricted-area target in cosplay or a fursuit or something.

Wouldn't be the first time 47's dressed up in a cartoon animal suit.

If you can't drown your target in the Lonely Ball Pit I don't want to hear about it :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The best cosmetic poo poo is dressing as 47... in Sleeping Dogs :getin:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nakar posted:

No More Mister Knife Guy (Sapienza): 1-03-8217355-02
THEME: Baffling Knife Juggling Act (Figuratively & Literally)
OBJECTIVE: Connect five knives to five skulls.
PRIMARY CHALLENGE: The actual kills are no problem, but getting the knives and traversing the mansion in some semblance of a correct order will be the primary factor. One of the targets is not in the mansion but can be made to go there while you're doing other stuff, but that either requires a specific start or a diversion.
SECONDARY BONUSES: Don't do it with the easy disguises, clean up after yourself, and move around the mansion in your suit like you own the place (you don't though, Silvio Caruso still does).
WHY THIS CONTRACT IS COOL: I may have been in an altered state of consciousness when I devised this and I have no idea what the best route or fastest possible time is. It's probably way faster than I've managed to do it. Also it rewards people who know where some of the weapons are in advance, as a few bits of information can expand possible start locations and routing. Whether those routings are any good is another matter.

I love absolutely every part of this :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Matinee posted:

20 bones seems a good price for four remastered levels plus fun extra stuff. More than happy to throw money at IOI for their Season 2 warchest.

PLUS! I'll finally be able to get the Bangkok suit because I missed one of those and it's absence in my 47 wardrobe has always caused me great pain.

Mmmmmm yes that's tasty. I shall partake.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

God I'd give my nuts to get the newspapers from BM back with the crazy complexity and scope of the Season 1 levels.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Kins posted:

Either they're counting GOTY Edition for some reason or Io's working on another small side thing.

New interview about Io becoming independant. Some of the dot points:

• Squeenix doesn't receive a single dollar of GOTY sales. It all goes into Io's Hitman bucket.
  • Player numbers of Hitman Season 1 have increased since the start of 2017 from two to seven million non-dormant players.
  • Io lost the rights to Mini Ninjas and Kane & Lynch in the divorce, but were somehow able to keep the Freedom Fighters IP.

IT'S

loving

HAPPENING

:bisonyes:

Also holy poo poo whatever they did to gain all those players even if it's just the demo is absolutely bonkers :staredog: e; The Hitman Hulu series article says the game has sold 7 mil copies, but whether that's something they've clarified or just taken from the same source as us without digging further isn't clear.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wine poisoning was simple but effective. No need to be elaborate, Mr. Rieper didn't get where he is today by anything other than clinical efficiency.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Started the Patient Zero campaign and was amused to find the other side of the hotel is totally wrecked and loads of people are working to clean up after Jordan's little soirée.

Was less amused to be reminded of how bad I am at video games, but after a couple of tries I got it done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

47 decided to try a different approach in Sapienza.

e; Those were almost all hatchet kills, plus a few thrown knives and one shooting (The person cleaning the large clothes store beneath the mansion, as I had no lockpick).

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 12, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mzbundifund posted:

Couldn't find a crowbar?

Ah, but my goon dwemer, you mistake me for someone who isn't a goddamn idiot :downs:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ended up knocking out the bodyguard and the priest in the cellar then just snapping the Cardinal's neck because I meant to emetic syringe him and fatfingered on pulling it out. Still got SA though so fine with me!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Concept: Marrakech but I'm not poo poo at it.

Also when the hell does Zaydan eat anything so I can poison it for this one challenge?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dabir posted:

You can poison a plate of food out in the streets with a sleeping waiter in a chair next to it. Wake the waiter and he'll take the plate to Zaydan.

Sick, thanks goonfriend!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lollerich posted:

Just as an FYI it takes 7-8 minutes for him to die though

Did it earlier, that wasn't a problem as I was doing one of the cameraman kills for Strandberg and it takes awhile for the crew to walk over and get through security and stuff. I got the message about Zaydan dying just moments after I dropped the moose!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've just got to get a few more challenges done in Hokkaido and I'll have 20/20 on every map!

Then the real game begins.

e; wait hold up a second, how can you do Situs Inversus without a body being discovered? Do you have to do the heart sabotage kill for Soders?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh huh interesting stuff, I'll have to play around and see what the possibilities are then!

StashAugustine posted:

IIRC the pro strat for SA speedruns is to start in the garden and just literally toss a block of C4 into the operating theater

:lol: Amazing. Video games are art.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ah, this must be what this update to 2016 Steam is currently downloading!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well, trip report from Marrakech.

I learned a couple of interesting things from this:

1) The engine is unbelievably stable. There were bugs, mostly animation and physics glitches, and it stuttered at a couple of points, but it held together as I did this insane thing.
2) Probably already known by most, but the 'prop' civilians (or whatever you want to call them) have essentially zero AI except to react in shock to violence. On the other hand, the full AI citizens were a pain in the rear end to hunt down because they would move around to new areas of the map and when I tracked them down they'd split in a big panic while I killed a few, and I'd have to find them again. (e; Also, limited AI bodies disappear, but I don't know whether it was after time or as new bodies were made. It still handled an impressively large number of corpses at once.)
3) Among all the consulate cops and soldiers, at one point a dude in a CICADA looking suit showed up and shot at me. I have no clue where he came from buthttps://i.imgur.com/xccDNBx.jpg it was a bit of a surprise!
4) The Masamune, which I used for probably 85% of this, is apparently immune to all risk of blunting or breaking with use. Good job blacksmith!

I think that was everyone.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kuiperdolin posted:

Unless there's two of them it's the shisha bar doorsman.

Ahhh yes now that you mention it that sounds right! Thanks, mystery solved :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StashAugustine posted:

Btw is there a way to get into Dexter's suite in Hokkaido without getting a master key? Tailgating seems to get you spotted and there's someone watching for bypasses

e: nvm, tailgating seems to work if you're careful

Go outside your own room onto the balcony, vault over the side, and you can shimmy round to climb into his suite. Only risk is him being present to spot you, but he spends a long time out in the sushi bar and stuff.

e; A House Of Cards but the entire casino/hotel complex is explorable and inhabited. Imagine the contract possibilities :allears:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 20, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Discendo Vox posted:

Tower-style hotels are actually terrible for design in most game formats, because they entail a large number of identical, tiny rooms that are functionally dead ends, or only connect to their immediate neighbors. Hitman and most other games get around this by having a tiny number of gigantic suites, or by only letting you into a handful of rooms.

You know I never actually thought of that. You might well be right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

gtrmp posted:

I've had also intermittent problems with connecting to the server on PC ever since the GOTY update dropped.

Yeah I had that happen a couple of times too.

I can't goddamn believe how good HITMAN actually is. I'm almost at 100 hours and I'm still playing it avidly, and checking all the time for any info about Season 2.