Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shitposting 24/7 without regrets. my parents would be proud.

blackguy32 posted:

The stealth was fine. The disguise system had issues. But Absolution also improved the combat by a mile as well, because holy poo poo was it bad in the previous games.

this. its a decent game in of itself. hell i like it. but its bad hitman game. the controls are good though and i hope they keep them similar in the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Swartz posted:

I'm hard for this new game. I'm seriously looking forward to it. Hitman is by far my favorite game series if you close your eyes and pretend Absolution never happened. I pity those who did not play Hitman 1 and 2 back when they were considered okay graphics-wise, as they were great fun at the time.

whats cool is it sounds like their will be multiple seasons. like this year(throughout) we are getting like 7 locations, then they will keep adding on over time. so like tf2 or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Swartz posted:

Yeah, it will be done in multiple "expansions" or sorts, with perhaps a new level a month until the game is "finished". I actually like this approach. It gives the developers more time to tweak and refine the game based on player-input and more thorough bug-testing allowed due to the expanded periods of time creating the game.

I also like it because I'm poor. The basic deal is that I can pay $15 now and have the intro mission and first mission of the game, then whatever for each added on mission that comes out each month. It will obviously come out to more than $60 in the long run, but for someone like me who can't justify that kind of money on a video game, even if it is my favorite game series, it's actually rather appealing.

@Mister Adequate: I do believe IO is very interested in doing a sequel to Freedom Fighters but has not been able to since the game's publisher/distributor isn't being reasonable.

they could just make a new ip. just make the soviets invade in the 60s or 50s.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

question. I am i the only one who didnt even try to be stealthy/non-leathal in the orphanage level in absolution. I killed every single one of those nun killing tweakers with an ax and laughed and their screams.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

alright. so i played the beta or at least the first part. its pretty good. its definitely blood money 2.0. the controls are pretty much like absolution. the first intro training level kinda sucks, but its a good introduction to the game play mechanics. its a bit tanky but thats all the hitman games. no difficulty settings that i can see at least in the beta. the alarm system is pretty interesting. but ill get back to it tomarrow.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2016 around 05:10

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

You don't have to kill her, you can just knock her out. All you need is the microfilm necklace.

pretty much. i only killed him and the pedo guard.

anyone play the beta yet?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moartoast posted:

So uh, the "beta" is apparently up for some folks on PS4, anyone in this thread given it a go yet? If the blurbs are to be believed, there isn't much to it, but I'm hoping it gives some actual sense of the level/game design. I'm a PC jerk so I have to wait a week

Their attempts to diffuse the "pre-order demo" jokes are pretty funny, though. Yes, you need to stress test the servers for this thing that will ultimately be playable offline anyways, and will only use online functions for stat tracking and uploading contracts (which I don't think are even in the beta). Uh huh.

Then again, Squeenix's last published game had live leaderboards that could drop a dozen or two frames when activated, and constantly had network issues interrupting everybody's SP games, so maybe it's not totally unwarranted .

e;fb

i played it offline. its alright/good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moartoast posted:

Well, good to hear you can play offline, at least. The pre-beta stuff said it'd be always online which had me a bit worried.

I'd watch a stream since there's no NDA or w/e but watching random Twitch streamers is a hell of a dice roll.

its solid, its very blood money 2.0 you can just go in guns blazing(if you want to, i always liked to once and while aka alot), but you have to be actually smart about it. the stealth is mix of blood money and absolution. basicaly it has alot a hud stuff to help newbies but all of it can be turned off in the settings. plus the "insta stealth button is gone. the intuition button is now basically a optional "arkham vision" that shows where your target is and who can see through your current disguise. a problem i have, which maybe partly my fault and maybe because how the levels are done. enimes are weirdly bullet spongy. like if you dont get a head shot/center mass, enemies can maybe get up and run for help. also guards dont spawn in like with absolution. its more like blood money, but alot less omnipresent. if you start shooting all guards in the immediate area will converge. if anyone gets a way, they will alert any guard the meet. its interesting.

also for those worried about the whole gender stuff. women look like normal women. no scatly clad super titted bimbos in the beta.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2016 around 17:49

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, the alpha showcased really well the spread of information is great in the new one. No longer is getting busted once the end of a disguise. You can actually run down someone who knows you OR KILL ALL THE GUARDS LOOKING FOR YOU and you're clear again. It's a nice mechanic and it was fun watching the map markers change color as they ran to tell each other.

this. the problem is its isnt shown well on the first part of the beta, but the second part it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

47 is a contract killer. He is a bad guy from the start.

pretty much, though he is probably more of a very dark anti hero, 80% of the targets are lovely people in one way or another.

weird semi hitman related question. is anyone going to pick up alekhines gun. its basicaly death of spies 3. its party in world war 2 but mostly in the cold war. apperetly it plays alot like absolution.(controls, gunplay) but very blood money stealth. you play as smersh agent and your trying to figure out the JFK assassination or something like that.
http://www.alekhines-gun.com/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus lol. thats horrendus.

still this is one of my favorite lines of any video game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJiAVYELdyI

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moartoast posted:

All of IO's weirdness will be forgiven if I can dress 47 in an unlockable tight leather nun outfit

Something else nobody's really pointed out: People were really worried about 47's appearance in the initial gameplay trailer, which made him look borderline-Olyphant-47, but it looks like his appearance is pretty on-point in the beta. I wonder if it was similar to the Absolution Bateson situation, or if it's just something to do with a mission we haven't seen yet.

either way imo they should have gone all the way and just made him look like Codename 47's legit scary boxart render.

he is younger looking in the beta(its his first training op) but he looks normal aged in the main game. i love that bateson is still the voice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sammus posted:

I am so psyched about this game. I've played the beta levels at least a dozen times each now and it's like a significantly improved Blood Money. Plus all the stuff they're adding like the elusive targets?

the one thing that bothers me is how many shots people take to die. i understand the player being fragile (its a stealth game) but you pretty much have to get a heart shot or a head shot for an insta kill any guard or random person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

On the topic of what the community wants, I should warn folks that I was briefly a member of the Hitman Forums, and unfortunately a large proportion of the game's core fanbase are deeply enamored of gore and exploitation concepts, which is probably part of why there were more of them in each game up through absolution. IO periodically asked them what they wanted in the next game, and "dismemberment and bulletholes" was almost always the winning suggestion.

ehh, i am fine with more gore. the beta didnt seem that gory though. least not compared the blood money and absolution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. My point wasn't that the game is too gory/not gory enough, it's that the fanbase IO has the most interaction with was, and probably remains, the kind of people whose chief complaint with the game was that you couldn't cut off someone's limbs and beat them with it, with accurate screaming, arterial spray, etc. This "I want to kill more hookers"/"Why can't I torture guards for more information"/"why aren't there any child targets" demographic was/are the main group IO listens to. This has consequences for the general design approach of the series, and why it's been increasingly spectacle-driven over time, and many of its mechanical systems have atrophied.

...all of the above were popular suggestions/demands on the hitmanforum website while I was around. Only the children one was controversial.

"your target is billy peterson, age 10. it seems that peterson has been making inroads with the school yard bullies and may be supplying them with fire works. its your job 47 to eliminate him and his gang."

but yeah some of that poo poo is just dumb. its not postal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

The discovery of several hidden bodies, indicates this is the work of a criminal.

TERRORIST kills 147 people
blood money supected.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i gambled and bought alekhines gun from gamestop. its crap. it plays like blood money on a budget but so much worse. the controls are overly complex and stiff. the frame rate is poo poo, the shooting and the stealth are bad. hell you cant even go postal because the aim retical and recoil and cover system are poo poo and wont allow it. i am so loving returning it.

I am posting this as warning for any bored hitman fans who want a hitman clone.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2016 around 23:45

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moartoast posted:

Welp, this bums me out but doesn't surprise me. Death To Spies 2 was pretty rough but playable and seemed to understand some HM systems better than others, but the development hell, failed kickstarters, wonky preview footage and very very dumb name change were defos setting off some warning bells for this one. Also lol at how they tried to make console versions (released ten days earlier than PC for precisely zero reason) on an already-minuscule budget, no kidding it looks and runs like crap.

From the few reviews I've seen so far, it sounds like they made the controls and gunplay even worse than DTS2, which is utterly hilarious.

See i could deal with it if the controls were blood money or even absolution. yeah, whats worse is the age is definatly there. it feels like its from 2007 maybe. not the graphic(well yeah those too but i am not a graphics person) its the mechanics and the controls that feel so dated its not even funny.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

While I'm aware of that aspect, it still stretched the definition of Silent Assassin. God that game is horrible.

gently caress yeah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Goddamn, I am so loving glad that the Hitman series is finally back in top form. I was actually sort of worried that Absolution buried the franchise.

nah it wouldnt. absolution felt like an experement. IO wanted to make something different rather then blood money sandbox. if people didnt like it. they would go back to blood money. I didnt hate it(as a 3rd person game), but i am glad with blood money 2.0

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2016 around 16:05

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The many faces of hitman :

The newest one is probably the most normal looking hitman ever, for once it seems he wouldn't stand out like sore thumb, I like it.Absolution had the best cover art drawings for hitman but they made his eyebrows look retarded in the game. He looked like loving ming the merciless.

the newest one is actualy the alpha face. he looks alot more like bloodmoney/absolution cept with current gen graphics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

47 pretty much doesn't age anymore, probably. The targets from the first hitman game received clone-grown, genetically enhanced organs from Ort-meyer that gave them the near-superpowers they possessed in that game. 47 is a whole human being made out of such material.

I always thought that it would be better as almost a horror movie but the monster is 47. have him hunt a group of dudes and he picks them off one by one, maybe a cop is investigating. idk

s0m3 guy posted:

kane and lynch was a cool platform for fragile alliance that poo poo was rad

i reckon that would make a good f2p game

I liked K&L 1 until cuba. 2 is just crap. the idea is kinda cool (gritty film in shanghai) but it does nothing with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I feel bad because I don't get these references.

Nothing. I too try to murder as many innocents as possible in Hitman titles.

me too. on Vintage year mission, i would always kill everyone and everything with the supper assult rifle with armor piecing rounds, because the briefing said that the client wanted it to look a cartel hit. so i did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Have a Where's Waldo style thing where you get a fairly innocuous and busy scene of a party or something and then hidden somewhere is 47 with a sniper rifle or wire about to murder someone

that would actualy be pretty good.

Nckdictator posted:

Blood Money had the worst advertisements.

(Linking because I guess?)

http://i.imgur.com/d3C5cGd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jcLy7Qr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pnteGsE.jpg

That does raise a interesting question though: How do you market a Hitman game without coming off like a psychopath?

I was alway creeped out by the ad with the dude with the chello and his throat is cut and it says something like "CLASSICALLY executed" or some poo poo. Hitman adverts always sucked. its probalys because they have no idea how to market the game publicly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

One last push!
Pointless inexplicable edgy personal "symbol": check.

Generic crazy scientist creator who betrays his employers: check.

Fighting off-brand knockoffs in a late-game twist: check.

Fixation on little girl as hackneyed character motivation: check.

Annoying pointlessly sexualized supporting characterthat should not exist: check.

A fanbase with really horrific taste: check.
Really bad linear levels set in old west canyons: check.

I'm personally just hoping for a Shadow mascot costume DLC. The costume is like the horrible chipmunk outfit from Absolution, but it constantly plays lines from the dark n' gritty time-traveling hedgehog as you try to sneak around. Alternately, a Crush 40 soundtrack.

ehh i still like hitman But your not wrong. The series is the video game equivalent to Cannon films. Violent as gently caress with hosed up sense of morality and weird issues with women and most other people. But its fun and i dig that kind stuff if its well done (which most of the hitman games are) absolution is basically a Charles Bronson film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUgKUspKisY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I don't get the obsession with blood and gore in Hitman. The more blood there is in a Hitman mission the more you're playing it wrong.

because people are sick fucks (like me) and want to go on virtual killing sprees for fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

i like the developing story line so far. it's very vague and makes no sense when you see it but each time a new level is released it leaks a bit more of the story than last time and things start to make sense.

Also, the way the episodes are released go well with the story and atmosphere that you are just called up when they need you and you don't have any idea what's coming next.

I've put about 45 hours into the first 3 episodes and i feel like if i had the option to just blow through the game in a sitting like blood money it would have made the game less valuable imo

weirdly enough. Marrakesh is probably my favorite "level story" of any hitman game except curtains down. to sound retarded. it feels like poo poo that might really happen in the real world. some dickhead general works with a shithead sociopathic banker. banker robs the country blind and general secretly helps him escape using mercs, then stashes him in his consulate, meanwhile he has dudes fermenting a government overthrow by using a front of a liberation/social justice organization that will lead the social uprising then he waits for a spark so he can take over. and all of this is stopped by killing two dipshits and no one will ever no the wiser.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

I feel the same way. I liked that you could hear the marks talk about the story too, especially as the masseuse. The subplot of having a group of people making fake propaganda was cool too. Everything really tied together nicely. Also setting up the toilet kill by having two soldiers get caught talking poo poo about the general was awesome.

it felt like you were walking in and ending a coup in an airport fiction/clancy novel. it also has my favorite execution in any of the hitman games. you sit in chair as a prisoner. then when he leans into gloat or whatever. you stand up and snap his neck. to sound like sick gently caress it felt well done. all of this dipshits grandiose plans just laid to waste with one quick twist of the hands and no one will even notice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaffy posted:

I am doing these escalations correctly.

gently caress, how do you get a good position for a firefight? i always end up getting flanked and capped after maybe 2 kills.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Kins posted:

Some footage of the remastered Hitman Season 1 levels was shown at PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9Fo0Morwo

To summarise:
  • You can bring the briefcase back to Season 1 and cart your Sniper Rifle around without raising suspicion, providing a lot of new options re: places to ventilate skulls from.
  • Security cameras now trigger a picture-in-picture shot of the camera's perspective when they record you, and a cone of their vision is drawn on the floor in Instinct view.
  • Oh, and if a camera sees you when you're trespassing, guards will start hunting you. Because someone's gotta be watching the security feeds, right?
  • You can blend into the crowds to lose pursuers.
  • You can now hide yourself, bodies, etc. in tall foliage. Colorado has received a bunch of additional fauna to let you take full advantage of this.
  • NPCs can actually see you in mirror reflections, potentially foiling your plans for restroom violence.
  • When an NPC gets distracted and decides to investigate a suspicious noise, a picture-in-picture shot will pop up of the NPC in question so you know exactly who's coming from where.
  • Flashbangs and Concussion Grenades are now in your equipment stash, providing new options for non-fatal removal of multiple guards at once.
  • Guards have smarter combat AI, making an attempt to flank the player.
  • Combat has a lot more visual effects (smoke, debris etc.)

if you bought it on disc. will you be able to play the remaster or do you have to buy it digital. i have 3 of the levels digitally. plus the bonus missions/etc.

also i weirdly hope the new game allows you to play uber aggressive assault style if you want.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

heh. loving I guess delgado's cartel lasted after his death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

if you can't decapitate him or shoot him with a bow. i will be sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I forgot if this was addressed but will the season 1 content be free for me even if I purchased each of the 6 episodes separate as they released? Not sure if the remastered free content is only for people who bought the season pass/physical disc.

i believe so.

i have the first 3 and the bonus but the others 3 are on the disc copy i bought.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, it feels like they're trying to add 'shades of grey' to the plot because the first game kinda made the Shadow Client seem like the good guy. They couldn't really have been much more "But he's REALLY EVIL TOO!" with having the agent you kill in the tutorial being Ms Murder McCruelpants.

I assume it's to try and make 47 and Diana seem less like the bad guys for working for Providence. Which is a misstep in 2 ways: There's no reason 47 and Diana have to be squeaky clean and secondly, if you want them to be heroic, just have the plot be "keep doing the Shadow Client's bidding so we can draw him out".

i mean most of the people you have killed over the years in the hitman games are pretty hosed up monsters of various sorts. i mean the most grey of them is a former gangster turned state who is trying to escape the life with his wife and kids and a lovely businessman who didn't build his park to code and is now the lap dog of some petty crime lord. the rest are either hosed up deviants, psycho reactionaries, criminals, or hosed up paul manafort type fixers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lareine posted:

Penelope Graves was a hard one. Through and through, a decent person who just wanted to do the right thing and we killed her anyway because we weren't on the same side yet. Also, that bird in Blood Money. 47 squished it.

yeah, she and weirdly enough the mossad Michael Myers dude arnt super evil. sean ross is dead eyed fanatic though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

honestly, i love how the hitman universe is basically a more realistic paul verhoeven movie. its a grim dark heightened reality where everyone is weird monster rear end in a top hat who die gory deaths and tons of political satire mixed in with dirty jokes and dark humor with human abomination as the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A funny thought I had watching that "kill everyone in Sapienza" video (the short one) is how the tone in Hitman is kind of cartoonish. Like that video could have been really gruesome and horrible but it's funny, and not just from the editing. The game itself deliberately goes for comedy when it comes to the kills - all the sound effects are funny "bonk" noises rather than like, horrible skull cracks. There's not much in the way of blood or gore even with the weapons that would be messier in real life (the one exception being the wood chipper which even then is pretty subdued). Nobody slowly bleeds out while moaning in pain - they just kind of crumple to the ground in one hit. Like it's a game where they could have gone in a very different direction with it and made it all just vile and uncomfortable (I know people are going to be tempted to point out Absolution here but while the storyline of that game was terrible, the game design was still tonally very similar to this game. Which is maybe why it felt like such a mess) but instead they just leaned into the ridiculousness of it all.

honestly as dumb as it was, i liked the dumb story of absolution(and absolution in general). its a weird B-movie type deal where the big bads are one armed rear end in a top hat with battle nuns and some midwest dickhead who build landmines for home defense. i like to think that one of the reasons its not brought up in the sequels is because that kinda poo poo happens all the time. absolution was just office politics that got heavy for weak or so until the problems were dealt with. anyway, i respect IO for trying something different, realizing it didn't work out well and then going back to basics but keeping the good stuff they learned.