Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

New Hitman also goes with the ICA being a bit on the level, because MI6 is the client for the Paris mission, and I don't think the British government would be willing to work with them if they were still COBRA.

I actually like that idea better, that the ICA is shady but because they only really target rich assholes that had it coming or genuinely dangerous people for the most part the governments of the world tend to cast a blind eye.

Maybe I'm a cynical bastard but I just imagine that the ICA spends 99% of its time killing poor whistleblowers and activists on behalf of the G8 and only sends 47 for stuff that's an actual challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jintor posted:

I'm very sad there seems to be no way to knock out the general, switch him with the prisoner, and have him shot by his own men.

It doesn't really make any logical sense and is far more convoluted than any reasonable plan, but it would've been really cool.

Same with not being able to get the lady to kill the biochemist in Sapienza, that would've been pretty cool.

My biggest disappointment is there being no way to get Strandberg thrown to the protester crowd. That would have been perfect poetic justice.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hitman/status/762066133000163329

:rms:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So how long do you expect the Giant Bomb Colorado video to last? Given that it will apparently be mostly comprised of hostile areas that require different disguises in each, I'm estimating about 9 hours. :-P

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, I'm watching from the beginning of a stream. After the opening cutscene I'm thinking "...don't tell me that Soders (who for some unfathomable reason is STILL with the ICA after all these years) is working with the Shadow Client and about to send 47 into an impossible trap AGAIN. Let's see if I got it right.

EDIT: YUP.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 27, 2016

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Rex Manfist, Bounty Hunter: Rex Manfist, Bounty Hunter is the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter. He gets the most highly paid missions to capture or kill the most dangerous targets out there. There's only one problem: when you're number one, people always want to take your place...

Sorry, they cancelled Prey 2 too.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Alright then, the one that was up today had like a spaceship and stuff which I'm sure weren't in the proper level so assumed the changes would be much bigger - died right by the dude's car so didn't actually get to do much of it. Glad to hear they weren't anything special, seeing a whole row of "missed" targets in the menu still gives a pretty bad impression.

That particular ET was placed in the nightime version of the Sapienza map, which was created for the Bonus Mission "The Icon".

e:f,b

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sunning posted:

White knight private investors?

Someone get Steven Dengler on the phone!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo. I just had a thought.

Hitman on Fig with top tier donations putting you in the game as an Elusive Target.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

It costs millions or possibly billions to get 47 to kill someone for you so I imagine the kinds of people whom very rich people want killed have done something to warrant that kind of outlay. You don't hire the world's best assassin who never fails (except in Absolution) unless there is someone you want super dead.

In my head I always envisioned the ICA as working like a building contractor: you say you want so and so dead and they take a while to come up with the "estimate" so to speak. Since master criminals and billionaires are always heavily guarded, they have to send 47 in and charge a fuckload. Meanwhile any actual good people rich people want dead (whistlblowers, activists, etc) are dealt with by one of the presumably dozens of ICA goons we never see.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1A3lCkw0E

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You're all wrong, we're assassinating Ubisoft, by the looks of it.

Good afternoon, 47. Your target is Yves Guillemot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The escalation will require 47 to climb several towers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Having said all that I like the way that the game makes absolutely no bones about the cynical and mercenary nature of ICA and it's employees regardless. The guys they kill may be crooks, but that's usually just a happy accident and endemic of the sorts of people who naturally end up in such powerful positions, 47 is usually going after fools on the behest of organisations like MI6(Paris) a giant construction concern(Marrakesh) or just the ICA themselves (Sapienza and Japan) to keep their lives more simple rather than for anything close to a moral reason.

My pet theory is that the bulk of the ICA's jobs is killing off activists, whistleblowers and other people inconvenient to the rich and powerful but since those people usually don't have much protection they just send the grunts or the interns do it. 47 on the other hand, being the best of the best, is sent to deal with the hardest targets.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

But I got the impression that in 2016, the ICA only takes contracts that they deem moral. Even 47 refers to that idea in the conversation at the airport. If Jordan Cross hadn't killed anyone and was a total innocent, they'd have refused it.

I didn't get that impression at all, despite 47 saying "the contract was just". I took that as meaning "there were no hidden agendas on part of the clients" in contrast to the Shadow Client. What really irks the ICA is them being manipulated for some unknown purpose, which really puts a hamper on their professional attitude.

Heck, remember the Sapienza mission briefing: it was essentially "Here is a virus that can kill any specific target from across the globe with a DNA sample. Not only does this have horrifying possibilities, it can also put us out of a job! This cannot stand!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Oh also now I want a game where 47 is put out of work by cheaper, automated assassin robots and has to grapple with the quandaries of his down to earth, working class skills being made redundant in the new world while he tries to retrain as a pastry chef.

He seemed to like being a humble church gardener in Silent Assassin. Maybe the Hitman franchise is secretly an extended prequel to Farming Simulator.

Pigbuster posted:

I like how Diana is impressed 47 disguising himself during the ICA test, calling it an unorthodox solution, since it implies his absurd ability to disguise himself in seconds is actually a trademark technique that sets him apart.

In that linked Hitman 2 video 47 manages to copy his victim's arm tattoos by wearing said victim's clothes. 47 is literally magic.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 11, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Now I want 32 player ghost-multiplayer with this.

Imagine 32 players starting Paris together. You can see the others, but you can't interact. And add a modifier where there is a x/y chance that when another player knocks out a NPC and hides the body, that NPC disappear from your instance. So it's a race for the good disguises.

So 100 Mr. 48s parachute onto an island...

Edit: goddamn it Funky.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

This is starting to sound like a person who would win a wedding at Taco Bell.

I still cannot loving believe a sane human being decided to marry Dan Ryckert. It’s every single “dumb and ugly guy with inexplicably attractive wife” sitcom come to life.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

Hope we have to actually kill him multiple times. It's the only way to do the man justice.

Even better: you get SASO by simply staying put until the timer runs out and he drops dead at the last second.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

IOI just revealed all locations.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-locations-reveal/

It's pretty much what was shown in the leak, though the North Atlantic one looks kind of ominous. Are we finally getting the Church of Ascendants or is that just Providence (the bird logo doesn't seem to match the bird pendant the agent at the end of 1 and Yuki wear)?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 23, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chalupa Joe posted:

Easy... A remote luxury beach house in Hawke's bay is totally going to be the property of some wealthy American, they won't have to change anything.

Please let the owner be not!Peter Thiel.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

We also know the "names" of each of the first three main missions (as opposed to the location): Hawke's Bay is Nightcall, Miami is The Finish Line, and Santa Fortuna is Three-Headed Serpent. The later names aren't known yet and are probably spoilers since something happens in the story apparently just from the pre-release info and trailers.

The trophy list reveals the missing names:

Mumbai: Chasing A Ghost
Whittleton Creek: Another Life
Sgail: The Ark Society

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someday I will understand numbers in videogame reviews. Today is not that day.

Most video game critic websites other than dinosaurs like IGN and Gamespot have been moving away from numerical scores for a reason.

Back when I still listened to the Giant Bombcast it was always great hearing them explain the hilariously mechanical nature of the scoring process from their days at Gamespot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

njsykora posted:

Anyway I read the Eurogamer review and that basically said the same stuff, it's good but also the new mechanics don't change things massively so it's functionally just more of the same.

Yeah, I guess what these scores really mean is "It's Hitman Season 2. If you played the first one, it's more of that"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ragzilla posted:

alternatively once he’s in the bathroom, there’s a pillow next to or on the bed that has a contextual action once she closes her eyes.

The map might be tiny but it was pretty badass/terrifying hiding in a trunk listening to this rear end in a top hat couple fight, wait for them to fall asleep, choke her with the pillow and quietly sneak away. That dude will have the WORST morning ever.

That was some straight up horror movie poo poo and it's great.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 9, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Loving the changes to the tutorial missions from 1, specifically Diana's knowing little "Gently now, he's an actor ;)"

Also still loving losing my poo poo two years later at her shock over the groundbreaking, game-changing concept of... wearing a disguise.

Yeah, I was just going to ask: did they re-record some of their lines? For some reason Diana sounds pretty different in the first tutorial mission (her accent sounds borderline Australian). Is that meant to be someone else? I also noticed that they removed the line that went something like "Well Soders has created a possibly unbeatable test but since you have ME helping you, we can pull this off" which made no sense whatsoever.

EDIT: "Never thought they'd use a functioning jet! Good thing you didn't disable his parachute!" Nice retcon, IOI.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 10, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, it feels like they're trying to add 'shades of grey' to the plot because the first game kinda made the Shadow Client seem like the good guy. They couldn't really have been much more "But he's REALLY EVIL TOO!" with having the agent you kill in the tutorial being Ms Murder McCruelpants.

I assume it's to try and make 47 and Diana seem less like the bad guys for working for Providence. Which is a misstep in 2 ways: There's no reason 47 and Diana have to be squeaky clean and secondly, if you want them to be heroic, just have the plot be "keep doing the Shadow Client's bidding so we can draw him out".

My biggest problem with the plot is that every single mission has some labored means to tie it to the ongoing Shadow Client vs. Providence conflict. I always enjoyed learning about the various motives clients had behind the hits (my favorite is still "We were hired to kill Swedish Bernie Madoff and an evil Moroccan general to stop the latter from turning Morocco into a military dictatorship... by a construction conglomerate who doesn't want to lose its lucrative contracts with the current Moroccan government") even though they were being manipulated by the Shadow Client. Now it's "Go kill these two rear end in a top hat billionaires...because they defected from Providence". "Go kill the leadership of the world's biggest drug Cartel...because they are helping the Shadow Client". They could have at least have Diana sound more frustrated that she and 47 have been reduced to Providence's personal hit squad.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 10, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

For real, Marrakesh had the best setup of any of the levels. It really gave the sense of a country getting ready to tear itself apart and you being deployed just in time to keep the whole thing from cracking open like an egg.

And all in the name of safeguarding a corporation's profits. "Oh, is this another MI6 or CIA mission?" "NOPE. They don't care, but a massive corporation wants their money so off you go!"

These sorts of petty motives really made the world feel more human. Marco Abiatti is another great one. Here is a dude who is clearly Berlusconi on steroids and could do massive damage to this town yet Caruso wants him dead for having bullied him at school and apparently nothing else. In contrast, you have the Caruso hit itself where you are hired by someone who honestly wants to stop this bioweapon from enabling all sorts of dictators and maniacs and Diana is all "this thing could put us out of a job if it gets completed so you better be on your A-game, 47!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

It was funny watching Geff Gerstmann playing on his home stream Friday. At one point he laughed and said he loved the game, and I concur. I think it will be in the Giantbomb top 10 this year.

Which is hilarious since he usually outright despises stealth games. Hitman 2016 (and I'm guessing this one) is his one great exception.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm trying to do Miami following "A perfect Machine" mission story. After I take out the mechanic and grab the key card and his uniform the 'lightbulb' will not switch from his body to the next step.

Anyone else come across the same?

I have seen the lightbulb sometimes mysteriously vanish. It usually comes back if you follow another Mission Story and then switch back.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This game is the loving best. Three more seasons of this, please.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 11, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, I think I might have surpassed Discendo Vox in terms of being a lore nerd: I was pissed off by the fact that Alma Reynard and Wazir Kale didn't have bios in the mission briefing screen (since they are not marked as targets when the mission starts) and was delighted to find that once they become targets their bios are available in the pause menu and map screen.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I want to pick this up but I'm really busy for the next few days. What's the latest I can get it and still kill sean bean?

Sean Bean's ET only starts 8 days from now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Columbia: I feel like the Submerged story should've been one of the ones that's just in as a challenge for you to figure out and the hippo one should've been listed as a full story. It's much more amusing to feed the dude to this man-eating hippo than to weakly run him down with a mini-sub

To be honest, I appreciate when they don't put all the best stuff in mission stories. It makes finding them much more special. Like getting the Kashmirian to kill BOTH Rangan and Shah in Mumbai (speaking of which, I know you can get confirmation that Shah put the hit on Rangan but do you ever find out who put the hit on Shah? It was likely Rangan, right?)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

This game is making me really wish for a lady Hitman game. Keep all the mechanics, hell even the levels exactly the same, just let you play as a woman using woman-specific or unisex disguises.

Either that or IOI needs to stop being cowards and let 47 dress up in drag already. With the inevitable stripper Mission Story.

[David Bateson Voice]: Hello, hot stuff. I'm Bang Bang Bambi. Care for a lap dance?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

You having to poison the Queen's tea only AFTER her servant has tasted it, and the Maelstrom looking like a different randomized NPC each game).

I don’t think the Maelstrom is randomized. He looks the same in both my playthroughs and all the videos I have seen. He does look a lot more NPC like than other targets in the game though (especially if you avoid the lover Mission Story: in that he puts on a unique outfit but in the others, he’s literally in jeans and a t-shirt)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think my favorite thing about the opening level is how horror movie my kill in it was.

The lady come home, makes a call, goes to bed after a long and eventful day, and finds the sink running. While her partner/fuckbuddy was in the other room getting undressed, she checks on the sink and bends down and gets knifed, then stuffed in a closet.

Her partner realizes she's not there, and can't find her. Meanwhile, the killer is long gone...

I suspect we will see a LOT of horror movie tribute videos of Hawke’s Bay.

“Starring Agent 47 as The Shape.”

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

No no no the reason you do the tutorial again is so you can admire a few of the tweaks, the best of which is that the guy in the kitchen who gets KOed 100% of the time? He now has a bandage on his head.

Don't forget "Jetpack dude is totally alive and the ICA aren't a bunch of idiots for hiring the two chucklefucks who murdered an actor during a training scenario".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Nah, I much prefer engineering Jordan to kill the lawyer, then sending Jordan following off the balcony. Assassinations are always so much more fun when you're manipulating your targets into eliminating themselves.

I like to think of that as the canon version of events because pretty much all the other ones would have Jordan’s Rupert Murdoch-esque dad or his subordinates go on a firing spree of hotel staff for this horrendous security breach. With the double balcony maneuver, the police report will likely say “ Well, witnesses saw Jordan yelling at Morgan downstairs and we have records of Jordan trying to call his dad who didn't pick up so clearly Jordan killed Morgan in a rage then comitted suicide when his dad wouldn’t pick up the phone. Open and shut case.” and no one loses their job. :)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It's interesting the perspective these games have, especially in the last two games it feels like they're leaning in more and more into the power fantasy of eliminating the kind of powerful, arrogant rich fucks who cause so many problems in the world today and think they are untouchable. Not to give the impression that I nursing some sort of murder fantasy, but it would be kind of interesting if they had later targets that were even more ripped from the headlines, like the Prince of an extremely powerful, unnamed Middle Eastern oil theocracy whose inept and arbitrary wielding of power has started a horrible war with a neighboring country and seen peaceful dissidents brutally murdered.

Given all the times he's been mentioned, I'm pretty sure if we get a season 3, Jin Po (AKA Not!Kim Jong-Un) is going to be a target (especially since the news report in Miami lists a made up name for his country. If they weren't going to do something with him, it would be easier to just not say it at all)

StrixNebulosa posted:

In Mumbai, where the Bollywood director says he'll pay the artist in "exposure". Again, it was insanely satisfying to murder him, because gently caress anyone who does that.

If you go with the actor Mission Story you also get to see him putting the moves on the lead actress and threatening to ruin her career when she turns him down because of loving course he's a sex monster in addition to everything else.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 18, 2018