Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

I enjoyed Blood Money and Contracts, have no interest in 1 and 2. I gave Absolution a fair shake and while I could see the potential for it to be a good successor to Blood Money, it just completely shat the bed and I got bored with it.

Best mission is A New Life.

I've been jonesing for some more Blood Money type games (Which there is sadly barely any) for years now so I'm looking forward to new Hitman. Episodic could work with Hitman because really I always saw the missions as standalone levels to begin with and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the plot, which was never the reason to play them. Also everything I've seen about new Hitman looks like an actual evolution of Blood Money with some of the additions that worked from Absolution like an improved cover system.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2016 around 00:13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is the way it's always worked.
No, unless that's different on the higher difficulties in Blood Money or something, once you were in a disguise no one suspected you unless you went into an area that your disguise didn't have enough clearance for.

I do like the addition of supervisor type enemies that can see through you so long as its not like Absolution where you had to constantly cover your face like a dumbass.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2016 around 00:50

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

On the hardest difficulty (not counting Purist) you get so little Instinct. I remember only using it in clutch situations to "blend in" and to lower suspicion, like having to pass right in front of a guard with a similar disguise.

I didn't mind the fact that Instinct pointed out things in the environment on the lower difficulties though. They are so many stories about the previous games where people were like "I didn't know you could do that!". Like how in A New Life from Blood Money you can grab some anesthetic darts from the vet office, use the air rifle in the tree house to take out the pool cleaner when he is near the shed, disguise as the pool cleaner, have the wife of the target invite you to her bedroom, remain in the bathroom until she falls asleep and acquire the necklace you need that way. I once told a friend about that one and it blew his mind. I assume he always stuck to the sedative syringe when he was feeling stealthy.
Or you can knock out the guard dog and sneak in through the side door.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Traditions of the trade was kind of crappy in Contracts. But man that is one dark game. It and Hitman 2 are the only games I can think of where you actually kill non-bad people.
Contracts has a great dismal atmosphere that feeds into the game's framing device, i.e. its usually always raining or snowing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

BillBear posted:

I always felt sorry for the tutorial target in BM. It seems like he's completely guilt ridden about what happened and it looked like the whole thing ruined his life too. Also the guy in A New Life was completely innocent, IIRC, you even kill his wife as a bonus objective. You basically orphan a teenage girl at her birthday party because her daddy was a snitch. 47 also kills that nice post man in a cut scene later in the same game.
You don't have to kill her, you can just knock her out. All you need is the microfilm necklace.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Moartoast posted:

It's still hilarious to me that Square Enix published Absolution and Thi4f within like two years of each other, and they make so many of the same mistakes in such similar ways, and wasted potential in similar ways, too. I even remember that they used the same VA for their "101" trailers that give bullet point rundowns of mechanics/story/whatever. Those games dovetailed so nicely as hot messes of confused adaptations of classic freeform games.
Also that Dishonored was a hell of a lot better at being both Thief and Hitman than them. Like the Boyle Party was pretty much the best Hitman level since Blood Money.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

There was also an easter egg on the riverboat level where you can turn everyone into mindless zombies that shamble around.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

I'm still on the tutorial mission on the yacht and having fun but I think ran into a bug. There's this dipshit with a cellphone in the men's bathroom that never leaves, even when I have the target's guest poisoned and throwing up in there. It feels buggy because cellphone guy just keeps standing behind the dude vomiting. I want the guest's disguise so I can complete the challenge. Anyone else having this problem?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2016 around 21:18

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Doing a contract was what led me to discover the the pipes that lead up to the third floor. Even though it makes it easier because no one finds you suspicious doing it I kind of like being able to just sneak my up there especially because the first time I did it one of the auctions guests that saw me climb onto the balcony was all like, "That's cool as poo poo, how did you learn to do that?"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

If all the missions are at the very least of similar quality as these first three, I think new Hitman will definitely be better than Blood Money. Any problems new Hitman has can be patched.

Also The Church of Ascendants are totally going to be the overarching villains.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Some of of the opportunities are locked by having you be there start them which sucks, but there's a good chunk that don't like Helmut in the Paris level. You don't have to overhear that dialogue at all to find him and he actually has a set schedule independent from you that eventually leads him to talk with Dahlia.

Also the Minimal option is good because it tells you that they exist but still have to find everything on your own.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

Do you need to complete every single objective in order to reach level 20? It doesn't seem like it but I dunno if the XP changes or anything.
I don't think you do. I'm Level 17 and there still a lot of assassination challenges all worth 5000 or so points I still need to do. I also need to really get through the Mr. Reaper approach because I just found the IAGO invitation.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2016 around 02:49

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

If all the levels are going to be as big and dense like Paris than one new Hitman stage is like two Blood Money levels put together and I'm fine with that. I mean hell I've got more than my 15 bucks worth for just those three levels.

wyoak posted:

Money thing I'd imagine, publisher probably isn't sure if something like Blood Money is a viable title these days (plus development costs way more now than 10 years ago) so releasing it in chapters makes sense for them since it probably increases revenue overall. Plus isn't IO running a skeleton crew now? Episodic releases probably help with relieving deadline stress too.
Square has had like zero confidence for this gen for some time, so its why their current published games in development have been messed around with. (i.e. Square originally wanting micro transactions in Just Cause 3, Legacy of Kain: Dark Sun being scrapped at the very last minute for Nosgoth, Triad Wars instead of a real Sleeping Dogs 2, Deus Ex 4's huge delay.)

Kontradaz posted:

The contracts mode are a joke. You can do the same thing in Silent Assassin by forcing yourself to kill some Japanese dude with a knife and a certain costume. Boom, contract done. Modern padding of games for sheep is what we have here.
Lol, are you for real?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2016 around 20:32

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

The funny thing about the Paris level with the starting suit is that you can just climb a pipe near the helicopter to get to the third floor, vault over the railing where the VIPs are drinking and Bodyguards are and they won't give a poo poo that you just climbed you're way up from the ground floor.

It appears to me that pipes in this game are the everyday tool of a Hitman and that the bodyguards are not getting paid enough.
Everyone is just impressed by your cool parkour skills.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Jintor posted:

The 'events trigger on proximity' thing is a little wonky still. I swear to god Dahlia had her meeting with Helmut but moments afterwards I triggered the end of the show and he was somehow waiting at the end of the catwalk to go on. Still, I'm not entirely certain it was Helmut in the room with Dahlia, so idunno.
It could have been the Sheikh, he pops into Dahlia's room every once in a while.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Jintor posted:

some editor lady. the news report mentions her at the beginning if you don't screw up their shot.

they chat for a bit and she mentions she's discovered the auction which freaks victor out a bit
Not only that Valerie is the person that left the IAGO invitation in the bathroom, you can find her right outside the bathroom arguing with one of her co-workers to use said invitation to sneak into the auction in order find stuff to blackmail Viktor with to save their struggling magazine. Valerie already sent up another spy, Dahlia's assistant that hangs around her office. It's brought up in the aforementioned conversation and you can also find this out if you crash Dahlia's computer with the dongle you find, the guard on the office balcony realizes that the assistant is the spy and is now totally screwed thanks to you and he gets her safely out of there.

There's a bunch of interconnected poo poo you can totally miss, its pretty rad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Veotax posted:

Is there a decent way to get rid of Dahlia's bodyguard? I want to do the challenge where you snap her neck when she's fixing the laptop but he stands there looking at her the whole time.
Dress up as the Sheikh or a CICADA bodyguard and lure him into Dahlia's bathroom when the two of them are in her room. You'll have to take care of the guard in her room first but there's enough distractions in the bathroom to do it. Alternatively just rush your way into the attic and climb into the bathroom through there.

Bathrooms are a hitman's best friend.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2016 around 07:30

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

The Paris Escalation missions are active, I hope you like sneaking because oh boy is it essential.
They need to fix that one guard in the attic who just keeps turning in place in a bugged out way. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get past him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Please tell me you're locked to vampire magician for all of them VM the new SO.
Yes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

If you preordered the game, you get the rubber ducky remote mine, but otherwise yeah, you got to get Level 20 otherwise.

The mines feel really weak in this game though, like I can barely kill more than one person with them if I just place one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

There is a remote bomb in the attic and also the rubber duck is one, if you have the preorder DLC.
Oh yeah, forget about that one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

status posted:

Does being spotted by a security camera remove your "Never Spotted" bonus even if you take out the security system? Trying to speed run the escalation thingy where you have to hack laptops/kill the AV guy/kill the Sheikh's body guard and I keep losing my bonus even though I'm never caught killing dudes. wtf
Are people catching you trespassing? Because that's what tends to ruin Never Spotted. Because if you ruin the camera feed the game counts that as you not getting caught.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

nickmeister posted:

idk

Also, what's with the poison just making people vomit for a long time? How can I get the poison to actually kill?
Dress up as Helmut and meet with Dahlia, she gives you cyanide. Alternatively I think using the lethal syringe may count too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's the thing about Absolution: It's really clear that someone high up really wanted another Kane and Lynch game (possibly at Eidos - apparently they were the ones that pushed for K&L 2), but K&L 2 got terrible reviews and sold poorly so they couldn't justify it to the other execs. Rather than give up the series they decided "hey, let's take our actually POPULAR franchise and just write that like a Kane and Lynch game!" So they ended up making a decent stealth game that makes absolutely no sense as a part of the Hitman franchise. 47 just doesn't fit tonally with a gritty, grindhouse revenge plot; he's a character that poisons diplomats at high class parties. He doesn't strangle pimps in crack dens.
Kane and Lynch are even in Absolution, so this is a plausible theory.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Is pulling fire alarms not the proper way to trigger an evacuation? I'm trying to get both targets in the basement but each alarm only appears to affect NPC's nearby, Viktor doesn't stay down there for very long at all, and Dahlia doesn't even bother to go downstairs. I've managed to trigger lock downs for both at the same time by going on a massacre upstairs then firing on the crowd downstairs but that doesn't resolve the other issues.
You need to look at the evac plan on the clipboard in the basement security room and then get rid of Novikov's bodyguard and use his phone to call in for a panic room move.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

But you wouldn't be able to kill Gary Busey because he'd be the one killing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2S8GHzxqc

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

The challenge for completing the Vampire Magician Escalation is bugged and won't let me get it so I kind of stopped playing them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Where is the vampire magician suit? I've gone through the Paris map maybe a dozen times now and I've never run across it. I think it's in the attic area and admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time scouring that area, but I'd like a general idea of where to look so I can knock out some of these challenges.
It's in one of the attic backrooms, specifically the one where you can have an agency drop.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

I had a successful killing spree playthrough on the boat level recently and I ran into one of the guests chanting to himself, "It's only a computer game, its only a computer game."

I didn't think I would but I've actually grown to like this game's writing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Whelp just found this level's Vampire Magician.

Also the main target has got some of that Norman Bates going on.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2016 around 01:30

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

ymgve posted:

While the area is much larger and better than Paris, I feel the mission this time is hampered by the "Destroy the virus" goal. As far as I can tell there's only two ways to accomplish the objective, and that makes it basically busy work after the first few playthroughs.

Unless, if you save a game after completing only that goal, then finish the mission in some way, can you reload the save and finish the mission in some other way and still get credited for the new challenges?

In general, how challenges unlock in this game seems weird. It seems if I get a challenge popup, then load a previous save and finish the mission with it, the challenge shows up as unlocked.
They seem to have patched it so that once you unlock it its unlocked for good. (i.e. I got the challenge for dressing up as a the ice cream shop worker even though I reset the mission.) Originally you had to do it all in one go and you couldn't reload.

The recent patch also seemed to make the game not recognize my escalation completions that I did prepatch right when I was going to unlock the gun, so that's rather bullshit.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2016 around 05:56

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

Question: I have the full experience, so I can't test this, but let's say that my friend only wants to play Sapienza, does he have to buy the intro pack as well? In other words: can you decide to not buy Paris and go straight to Sapienza or one of the later episodes, or do you at least need the first episode?
You need the Intro Pack.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Pierson posted:

Steam reviews for this game all seem to focus securely on day-one patches and how much they hate the episodic nature/always-on DRM. The rest seem to be saying it's a triumph on the level of Blood Money, the much larger levels offer a ton of fun ways to take your dude out, and the multiplayer contracts/those other weird escalating contracts are all fun and give a ton of replayability and fun. Sound about right?
It's funny that they bitch about the episodic nature of the game, when it actually benefits the consumer the most. Because you get these big levels with a plethora of options for around ten bucks a pop and you don't have to commit the whole sixty bucks if you don't want to. Like most episodic adventure games don't even let you buy episodes mostly piecemeal like new Hitman does.

The online's more of a legit sticking point because the game's servers have had problems and it is rather silly to be locked out of stuff like that in a single-player game. It is also probably going to be an issue if they take the servers down one day because unlocks are tied to it, unless they enable unlocks in offline mode when that happens.

Otherwise yeah, its easily rivals Blood Money for the top spot in the franchise and we still have four more levels like this to go. Its definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite games of the year, its great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

God drat would I love seasons of this game if they kept up the quality.

Also the performance patch dropped for PC.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2016 around 17:28

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Some people don't play games that way though, they don't like to pore over every detail of the environment and replay a level ten times to see the different ways things can go. This game, and especially the episodic release model, wouldn't be for them.
Honestly I would say Hitman isn't for them in general, because the series is at its best when it encourages you to play through levels multiple times to discover different approaches.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

You can take them out easier by using a rubber ducky mine. I placed the preorder one in the center of the gazebo and Decker just picks it up and puts in his pocket.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

ICA is portrayed really inconsistently throughout the series. In the early entries, they were sorta virtuous (and implicitly some sort of shadowy splinter of the British government). Back then the idea was that by cornering and controlling, and effectively regulating, the assassination market, they both turned a profit and were able to select contracts that didn't turn the world into a giant nuclear ball of fire. Your later missions in SA were taken from NATO specifically to deal with the fact that Sergei, your prior client, was destabilizing things too much by trying to exploit the ICA to get a nuke.

Later depictions of ICA have been schizophrenic, especially EU books and stuff, where it's basically a conglomerate of every evil military thing imaginable and the assassination stuff is just a small fragment of their business. Random inner circles and directors come and go, and the organization seems to be in a state of internal war all the time. This was the stuff that got transferred into Absolution, which is why the agency suddenly has command center yachts, a cloning program, Battle Nunz, several small armies, supersoldiers, and robot hands. The Agency in HITMAN still seems more extensive than early depictions (that training facility, which I'm guessing we may be returning to), but it's not the freaking Shinra Corporation anymore.
New Hitman also goes with the ICA being a bit on the level, because MI6 is the client for the Paris mission, and I don't think the British government would be willing to work with them if they were still COBRA.

I actually like that idea better, that the ICA is shady but because they only really target rich assholes that had it coming or genuinely dangerous people for the most part the governments of the world tend to cast a blind eye.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at May 3, 2016 around 15:35

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure it tastes great but Caruso is so hung up on his dead mother that he complains regardless.
The funny thing is that the description of the expired spaghetti cans hint that that Mrs. Caruso was just lying about her homemade recipe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

I feel bad for IO because I'd bet you that Square was the one that hoisted the online poo poo on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've dreamed of a prison level since Blood Money 😭 i always hoped they'd bring out an expansion. I never played Absolution but I heard it wasn't like BM so I just skipped straight to this one.
Yeah, you're best skipping Absolution. Absolution actually has some strong points to its gameplay (Like the cover mechanics) and you can definitely see it as the precursor to this game, but the way the game and some of the mechanics were designed were just crap. Absolution actively punished you for playing it like Blood Money pretty much.

«4 »