Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still on the tutorial (I'm really good at blending in for 2.8 minutes before choking out some randomer on impulse), but looking at the game's overall structure, I get the impression that there'll be 6 'main' assassinations in total when the full thing is out... Is that right?

I mean I know the maps are huge with a load of poo poo to gently caress around with, but that still seems pretty drat low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Norfolk is very easily distracted by pennies and no fucker knows what he looks like, including the guards talking to him before he ran off to find pennies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah as much as I don't trust Square or basically any big publisher messing around with business models, I haven't seen any major negatives with this one. The fact that they didn't just make you buy the whole thing and wait for updates is pretty surprising, to be honest. They'd almost definitely have gotten away with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh I keep giving up and starting Paris over because I don't feel like it's going well enough. I might have to turn on opportunity HUD guiding just so I can at least beat it half decently.

e: Also I don't really think this map is that much bigger or more complicated than anything in Blood Money. Not to the extent that there should be half as many of them.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 12, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's good that Agent 47 had a tablet in his jacket with the 'evil auction' app pre-installed before infiltrating the palace. :unsmith:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megadyptes posted:

Decided to buy the intro pack, had almost 8 quid in my wallet anyway. So it just finished downloading and I checked out the options. Why is my texture quality setting locked at low? :argh:

Ran the Benchmark and low textures actually don't look like rear end so eh whatever. Now to gently caress about with the settings some more and see how far I can raise it without destroying my FPS

Mine was locked to low in the launcher menu, but I could change it in the game itself. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megadyptes posted:

Can't change it in game either. Apparently you're locked to low if you have 2GB of VRAM.

Also for some reason the game skipped the intro cinematic for me. Had the usual Developers/Publishers/USE AMD BITCH! Multi ethnic etc screens but then it just went straight to the game and '20 years earlier...' I'm guessing this video is supposed to play, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bYEelwwHc

For some reason that plays after the tutorial.

I was confused at the start too. Was it meant to be played literally seconds after beating Absolution?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kontradaz posted:

So played Paris for a while doing like half of the challenges and then just got bored. Booted up Alekhine's Gun for the first time, and dude it just feels a lot better with the mission flow. Hitman doesn't have a flow, and at most I think this level really has in terms of like, novel experiences, is 1 hour or so.

I've played for at least 3 hours on the map and only actually completed it once.

Not just because I'm bad (I am), but because there's plenty to explore and look at and do.

s0m3 guy posted:

just try sniping at random from the top of the barge

There's a barge?!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kontradaz posted:

Hitman fans don't care if their franchise gets bastardized.

This is a very not true statement.

The answer is that they don't care about being hosed as long as their franchise isn't bastardised.

I don't mind the staggered release at all, but the small total of levels is poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Accordion Man posted:

If all the levels are going to be as big and dense like Paris than one new Hitman stage is like two Blood Money levels put together and I'm fine with that. I mean hell I've got more than my 15 bucks worth for just those three levels.

Yeah but it's still just one level. With one set of routines to explore, one set of targets to kill. One sense of wonder to enjoy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Moartoast posted:

I mean, there's several modes dedicated to giving you different sets of targets to kill and encouraging you explore the map in different ways, there's enough different ways you can get through a mission that there's usually more to discover even after a few playthroughs, and the whole thing has been pretty clear about how it wants you to play the levels a lot and know them inside and out. If that's not your jam and doesn't let you "enjoy a sense of wonder" past the first run, s'all good, but this is pretty plainly designed for grognards like me to play over and over and over and

Honestly, my complaint here is that there's not enough reward for doing any of the contracts, since it's just pure score at the end and the time stat seems either broken or just poorly designed so everybody's just gettin' 210,000 score every time. And yeah, this game needs some MGSV-style patrols that have schedules and shifts or something, because a lot of potential contracts targets are just peeps standing in the exact same spot forever.

Speaking of MGSV, I'd have quite liked it if they went full on Ground Zeroes and gave you proper different missions that completely re-contextualise the map.

Like, every map has its main story mission, then there's other stuff like 'a croquet match is happening on the palace grounds one sunny morning, kill the bastards' that has nothing to do with the fashion show etc. Contracts mode is a nice little compromise but on it's own doesn't add nearly the same sort of re-playability.

WindyMan posted:

I dunno, I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by Paris. The ground floor and the upper levels feel like two completely different worlds. Judging by the list of challenges, there are two or three things that I have absolutely no idea how to get yet. And I'm still finding new pathways and shortcuts all over the place, too. I'm very much enjoying playing through one giant-rear end level, thanks.
Don't get me wrong, the map is great, but it would be nice if there was, say, six huge maps and four or five smaller ones mixed up in there too. Not every lever needs to be an intricate palace, especially at the expense of the amount of levels.

If every month came with one or two slightly more fleshed out equivalents of the tutorial maps in the intro pack, that'd be brilliant.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's weird, Payday 2 recently added the same menu approach in a beta build. I think there might be some sort of console cert convention at issue, because it's particularly unpleasant for PC users.

Nah I think it's just the style now. That kind of menu makes a game look like an ever changing service, so you stop thinking of it as a purchasable product. Because god forbid you give someone some money and get a thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

abagofcheetos posted:

There is a remote bomb in the attic

Yeah, this is the only way I could make the laptop assassination work, what with the bodyguard and all. Luckily the bomb is a few feet from the dongle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really wish escalations weren't the exact same scripting on the exact same map but with arbitrary goals. :( They could've been so much more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It just occurred to me that Paris doesn't have any French people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait, is there any reason at all to buy the season 1 missions with the legacy pack available? Why are they still on sale at full price? :psyduck:

I was seriously considering going back and getting the post-Paris stuff that I hadn't played but this is way cheaper.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goferchan posted:

This, but you can actually buy the $20 Legacy Pack and play it without owning the Hitman 2 campaign, so buying that first (through the Hitman 2 prologue) is a cheaper initial investment and let's you play the story in order

So it won't let me buy the Legacy GOTY pack on Steam. It says I need to own the Legacy Pack... But the only two options are the Legacy GOTY pack and the GOTY upgrade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SubNat posted:

Edit:
Looks like the Legacy GOTY is the one you want.
The GOTY upgrade is if you previously own hitman 1, but not the additional DLC.

Alternatively if you just buy Hitman1 GOTY on it's own, steam will recognize it and add it automatically.

But the easiest is probably just to pick up the legacy, then the GOTY upgrade if you want more content.

Yeah but Legacy isn't on the store, only Legacy GOTY (which requires Legacy) and GOTY upgrade.

Maybe it's a bug and Steam thinks I'm trying to buy the upgrade without owning Legacy. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yup.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SubNat posted:

Dumb question, but have you 'bought' / installed Hitman 2?
Aka gone to Hitman 2, pressed the 'Install Game' button, started downloading it, etc?

e: https://store.steampowered.com/app/863550/HITMAN_2/

It might be a bug on Steam's side, that you're trying to buy DLC for a game you don't own, even though it's free.

Yep, played the prologue and everything.

gently caress it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Steam support told me you do actually need to buy the full version of Hitman 2 to buy the Legacy pack, owning the prologue isn't enough.

Cool. No Hitting Men for me today.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 17, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The game probably would've sold better if they'd like, marketed it and didn't put it out after every other huge winter title.

If they'd released it episodically starting in September they'd probably have made more by now from the first episode or two alone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do content bundles in F2P games count?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DLC Inc posted:

UK gamers are batshit because loving Crash Bandicoot was no.1 for months and I guess the same people are buying Spyro.

You're saying we have taste.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do these really only last two weeks? They made a cutscene and everything...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love it when random members of the public get suspicious of you.

Especially when they say they don't recognise you, ask who you are and start following you around. Like, dude, we're in a public street. gently caress off?

e: Or when they accuse you of being in disguise when you're just wearing your own clothes.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I got the point where you can follow him around and listen to dialogue, and I stumbled into a room I shouldn't have and that was it.

At least allowing you to replay it without rewards/achievements so you can see everything would be cool.