Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

What is Hitman?
Hitman is a series of video games (and awful films) based around assassinating targets in large non linear levels in various creative ways, you can be that sloppy dick who just mows everyone down with guns or try being the perfect assassin by making it look like a accident.
It's about to launch it's next title, just named Hitman, next month while the beta will be launching next week.

Previous titles

Hitman Agent 47

Unfortunately, I can't really say much about this game since it's aged like utter shite and plays really horribly. I really wouldn't pick this one up, for any reason.
Steam link

Hitman 2

The second installment in the series and one that hasn't aged like crap, it's the game which really took the series off.
It's still fairly fun to play although it has some pretty awful missions mid way through. It's also lacking compared to the later games, so be warned if you play Blood Money or Contracts beforehand.
Steam link

Hitman: Contacts

Didn't really add anything new but instead looked to improve on the previous game. It's certainly worth playing today and has some of the most memorable levels in the franchise.
It also has one badass soundtrack courtesy of the awesome Jesper Kyd.
Steam link

Before you buy it though, do this:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The Steam version of Contracts is FINALLY back (after licensing issues with one of my favorite bands, Clutch) but it has a gamebreaking bug in that IT HAS NO SAVE FOLDER! But this is fix-able. Navigate to your Contracts directory (Steam/Steamapps/common/Hitman Contracts/) and just create a new folder called "save". Done, now the game will properly save and you can stop restarting from step one like it's an NES title.

Hitman: Blood Money

Considered to be the best game in the series by pretty much everyone. While, like contracts, it didn't add gently caress tons of new mechanics, it again continued to improve on the formula of the series, it also allows the player
to buy and upgrade weapons alongside several items to bring in the mission beforehand. It's the game with (currently, until the new game comes) the biggest and most diverse levels with tons of stuff to do in all of them. It's fairly long too. Buy it.
Steam link

Hitman: Absolution

Eh, this one is certainly the black sheep of the series. It pretty much changed the game from the traditional sandbox experience into something closer to say, splinter cell. It's linear as hell and has pretty small levels.
As a stealth game on its own it's fairly decent to be honest, but it's complete poo poo at being Hitman. However, it did introduce contracts mode (selecting NPCs in levels for people to kill in certain ways) which is awesome although completely wasted here.
Steam link

Hitman

The upcoming game everyone's curious about. It's going to be episodic, the first part launching in march. Also contracts mode is back and improved!
Steam link

FAQ

Episodic...? Beta? Intro pack...? What the gently caress is going on? :confused:

Good question! IO Interactive have decided to go episodic with each level, if you pre order the intro pack you'll be getting the prologue mission, which is the beta out this month and the paris fashion show mission, which is out in march.
The intro pack will be rather cheap, around 15$ and is meant to be seen as a taster for what's to come. After this they will release a mission every month until they are done, they claim this is so every level is "worthy" of Hitman.
If you don't want to bother with all this poo poo you can buy the full experience for 60$ and wait until the game's finished, you'll also be getting every episode as it comes out. It's certainly bloody strange doing it this way but we'll see how it ends up.

Okay, that sounds weird as hell, but is the game going to be closer to traditional Hitman or Absolution?

The game is certainly way closer to old school Hitman, it's back to minimal plot and just focuses on you killing some poor dickhead in the biggest levels yet. It's certainly looking to be the most ambitious Hitman in terms of level design and scale.
However the disguise system is closer to Absolution bu-

WHAT! But the disguise system is complete dogshit in that game! Why?

Chill. It's been modified so it's way more reasonable while adding some sense of challenge. How it works now is that disguises will have certain people who can see through them, for example if you dress up as a chef, some other chefs (not all chefs though) may be able
to see through it and realize you're not actually on the team and call you out. Also sometimes the target will be guarded by the head of security, this dude knows all of his guards by memory and will be able to sniff you out if you get too close while dressed as a security guard.

Jesper Kyd?

No Jesper Kyd. :(

Trailers/Gameplay

E3 2015 trailer

15 minutes of gameplay

Welcome to Sapienza trailer

World of Assassination

Beta Trailer

BillBear fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Dandywalken posted:

Best missions in the francise opinions:

1) The weird fetish party in Contracts

3) Kill Hugh Hefner analogue during party infiltration

3) Paris Opera House assassination

Worst Mission:

1) Snowstormy Japan one with ninjas and snipers

I'll say the best mission is the one set in Vegas in Blood Money. God drat that mission ruled.

The worst would certainly be that Japanese mission. Ugh.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Supplanter posted:

The most hilariously bad part of this mission is when Ninjas would hit each other with trucks, find the body, then blame you for the death. This seemed to happen every time I tried to do a Silent Assassin run.

Anyway, this game seems to have had quite a bit of retooling. I remember at one point people said it would be open world, but now it isn't? I hope not, I'm burnt out on open world and I think Hitman benefits from denser rather than larger environments.

Nah, it's not open world. The levels are just big. Really big and really dense too.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's something OP-worthy:

The Steam version of Contracts is FINALLY back (after licensing issues with one of my favorite bands, Clutch) but it has a gamebreaking bug in that IT HAS NO SAVE FOLDER! But this is fix-able. Navigate to your Contracts directory (Steam/Steamapps/common/Hitman Contracts/) and just create a new folder called "save". Done, now the game will properly save and you can stop restarting from step one like it's an NES title.

Added, thanks!
Also How not to play Hitman is god drat legendary. He's still making videos too, holy poo poo.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Traditions of the trade was kind of crappy in Contracts. But man that is one dark game. It and Hitman 2 are the only games I can think of where you actually kill non-bad people.

I always felt sorry for the tutorial target in BM. It seems like he's completely guilt ridden about what happened and it looked like the whole thing ruined his life too. Also the guy in A New Life was completely innocent, IIRC, you even kill his wife as a bonus objective. You basically orphan a teenage girl at her birthday party because her daddy was a snitch. 47 also kills that nice post man in a cut scene later in the same game.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2016

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

At one point someone pointed out to me he did some lovely things with the lawsuit that made me less sympathetic but I can't remember what.

A New Life was innocent? Just a rat? Not a reason not to kill him, the game actually REWARDS killing every rat on an earlier level.

He may have been in the mafia but from what I can remember the guy was trying to turn his life around and he started that by ratting out the mafia. Okay, not "completely" innocent but it's certainly someone who doesn't deserve to get killed and is pretty much a saint compared to the scum in the rest of the game minus the first guy.

I hope this new game adds more grey, BM's ending made it clear 47 is irredeemable scum but they seem scared at times to let him kill some not-so bad people.

Talking about the ending, the reporter is certainly 100% innocent, always felt sorry for him at the end.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I have zero problem with the newb friendly hud stuff since the last traditional Hitman came out 10 years ago this year, plus you can always turn it off.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

marktheando posted:

Surprised this thread isn't more active with the beta out.

It ain't out on PC yet, sadly we have to wait an entire week.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The beta's solid. I can't even begin to imagine how much detail is in the upcoming missions, drat.

Paris alone is going to keep people busy for some time. My only complaint is how 47 looks when he walks, he just looks kinda awkward to me.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Isn't there some level where you do some obscure poo poo with the coins and the guards gather in one spot to dance? Hitman has always had some of the coolest easter eggs.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

He still looks more normal than before though, he's just closer to his actual age (around 60?) in the newer builds.

Also those trailers make me sad that the only films we'll likely ever get are poo poo because drat, a proper hitman film could actually work if done right.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I don't think the Hitman series has ever tried portraying 47 as cool or badass since they certainly show he's completely anti social and lame outside of killing people, the beta especially hammered that point in.

I think that's what mainly prevents Hitman from being edgy. That and they don't take themselves too seriously. :v:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Tough to say really, I personally enjoyed it although it's pretty forgettable. I think you should give it a shot.

The story is just bad though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The marketing for this new game has been absolutely top notch with the trailers and this new thing, I gotta say.

They should have just had Diana's VA do all the directing though, that would have been ace.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 9, 2016

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Again? Is there a story to this that I have missed?

The Secret Service are infamous for visiting the owners of forums where people have threatened to kill the president. Basically don't do it, you don't gently caress with those guys ever.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Can you vpn this poo poo or do I really have to wait another 21 hours or something.

Nope, everyone gets it same time so no VPNing. :(

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

It's out in a hour on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

This really sucks. :(

I suspect IO will just create a new series in the future and make it exactly like Hitman but under a different name and without 47 and Diana.